Type keyword(s) to search

The Bob's Burgers Movie (2022)

Galileo908
  • Start Topic

Didn't see a topic for this one, so here it is!

Saw it last night and thought it was great. It was a 90 minute episode...but a good 90 minute episode of Bob's Burgers. And that's all I could ever ask for.

And since I do this in the episode thread:

Neighbor: Sew You Think You Can Pants (opening scene), Sensu-Wool (seen in the flashback)

Exterminator: The Pest Years of Our Lives

Burgers of The Day: Between a Broc and a Chard Place Burger, The Curry Up and Wait Burger, The Hole in My Heart Burger (served with artichoke hearts), The Crying All The Thyme Burger, Live to Brie Another Day Burger

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Saw it last night and thought it was great. It was a 90 minute episode...but a good 90 minute episode of Bob's Burgers. And that's all I could ever ask for.

I thought the same thing! It kept the feeling of the show, but with more runtime. It makes me feel they understand what people like about the show and what fans were expecting from a movie.

• Love 7

I loved it. I liked how they constantly referred back to episodes of the show without it feeling inaccessible (Mickey's backstory, Felix's homicidal girlfriend (and his treehouse), The One-Eyed Snakes, etc).

I did think the identity of the murderer was fairly obvious from the start, considering the screentime given to such a minor character as Grover. I didn't even realize he was a pre-existing character until looking it up right now - he was in Roamin' Bob-iday in Season 9, and Copa-Bob-bana in Season 11, which would have been probably produced after the movie was written, as it was originally scheduled for 2020. I'd have liked for them to have added him in to a few more recent episodes, just so that he didn't stand out so much (and I like David Wain).

• Love 4

I expected a little more of characters like Tammy, Jocelyn, Zeke, and regular sized Rudy but I get why the focus was primarily on the family.  No Edith and Harld at all but I do enjoy me some Sargeant Bosco.  I did dig the Little King Trash Mouth cameo.  

• Love 6

I just saw it this afternoon and I really enjoyed it! I liked the core cast (though I wished for a bit more of the kid cast to be a part of it, given that it mostly takes place at the wharf) and the storyline. Also wish we could have gotten more of Felix's girlfriend, but that was a stellar callback!

The only thing that I didn't really like was the Broadway-style musical numbers. I love the songs that are feature in every episode, but they don't usually feature animated choreography like that. When Linda was doing the huge stepping legs in the kitchen in the first number, it kinda took me out of it for a minute.

I really loved the mini car chase! It was animated really well and I loved how it all came together! Usually I complain about the amount of Teddy, but he was used the right amount, even given how prominent he was. I really liked all the kids' night dreams/fantasies (especially Gene's self-awareness that people don't like his "sounds" as much as he does).

All in all, I could have waited to watch it on streaming, but I'm happy I paid movie prices to see it in a theatre to support the show, even if the movie-going experience was lacking at my showing today.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

The only thing that I didn't really like was the Broadway-style musical numbers. I love the songs that are feature in every episode, but they don't usually feature animated choreography like that. When Linda was doing the huge stepping legs in the kitchen in the first number, it kinda took me out of it for a minute.

I have to admit, the animation in the songs kinda threw me to.

I forgot to mention in my original reaction what made me laugh. I remember specifically two moments getting a laugh out of me. The first was Tina’s reaction to the baby and hole innuendo “You have to stop saying that!” The second was after Bob and Linda get down into the secret club and it shows Linda acting just like Gene with the buttons.

• Love 3

I found I was the only one in the theater laughing at the beginning when I saw the ride named Ships and Giggles. That was a good sign to me. It showed that they were gonna give me the Bob's humor that I'd come to expect with the show.

Teddy was actually tolerable. I laughed out loud when the skeletons teeth fell into Louis' mouth. It didn't take long to find out what all the sidewalk build-up was about. 

I had a fun time. 

• Love 2

I just watched on Hulu. I thought this was excellent. Very funny, very involving. 

My one criticism is that I thought Grover didn't quite look like a Bob's Burgers character. I couldn't put my finger on it because there were elements of his face that fit with the rest, but he just looked... off to me. Of course I don't remember him from his previous appearance(s).

I loved the musical numbers, particularly the choreography. In fact, I watched the credits all the way to the end to see if a choreographer was listed. No. I'm guessing the animators actually performed dances and then animated them.

I think the spaceship that Gene fantasized looked like a Simon toy.

Louise having the skeleton fall on her reminded me of Poltergeist.

Loved Sergeant Bosco. His lines are hilarious.

• Love 1

Saw the movie on HBO Max, it definitely felt like an episode, but it was a really good episode. The animation bump was also really nice to see, everything looked so good, especially the action scenes, which managed to be funny while also being suspenseful. 

I was hoping that we would get more of the supporting characters, especially the kid cast, but I get why they wanted to focus on the family, I loved the backstory for Louise's hat. Plus, Gene got to perform and Tina got her kiss! They get this months bills paid! Not a bad day for the Belchers. 

I did love the bits we got of some of the rest of the cast, I love Sergeant Bosco, and the continuity and references to previous episodes were fun. We even got a cameo from Little King Trash Mouth.

• Love 2
(edited)

I had no idea Gary Cole was Sargeant Bosco until I IMDB'd him for a completely unrelated reason.  I'm usually good at picking that stuff out.  That must be a major reason why Bosco is so, so funny.

Edited by kiddo82
(edited)

I didn't know the restaurant was that close to the wharf. How do they not have more customers?

I know Teddy is needy, but building the mobile grill is extremely generous. They had an episode about a food truck, so I don't know why it took so long to come up with this once the hole sunk. The building next door was for lease. They could have just sold there. 

Normally, Louise has her schemes for herself, mainly to get candy, but right off the bat she wanted to save the apartment and the restaurant. I actually would have liked if the usual kids joined in on the investigation with Tina, Gene, and Louise. 

The bourbon Felix was drinking was Uncle Tinkletush's Special Reserve. 

I get you can't throw everyone into the movie because then it would be a total mash just shoehorning everyone in. If they can do another one, then there's an opportunity to bring in some others. 

I thought Louise was going to use the hat to put out the fuse because you know it had to come off at some point. The backstory for it was nice though. The show doesn't do a lot of Bob/Louise too much, but they're really the same in a lot of ways. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

I frankly loved this. The animation was beautiful, everyone really did a wonderful job. I too thought for sure there was a choreographer, I loved the musical numbers. There were several laugh out loud moments—Tina and Gene, in particular. Louise’s brattiness was also toned down, and best of all, no Gayle until the end credits.

Finally caught this and absolutely loved it. I'm not caught up on the show so I'm sure I missed some jokes and callback but it was a great movie in my opinion! I didn't mind them going a little over the top with the musical parts - it's a movie after all, some parts have to be bigger. And I'm glad they went bigger with the songs rather than other common motifs - Tina's obsession with butts or Teddy in general. Even Gene's song at the end wasn't horrible, because everyone was having so much fun on stage. 

"Lucky Ducks" has been stuck in my head on and off since watching. And it was only in the subtitles but "Grunting rhythmically" made me laugh almost as hard as some of the jokes!