Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Day 30/1

• Start Topic

The stranded girls grieve one of their own. Meanwhile, we learn they’re not the only ones ensnared in this social experiment—it turns out there’s a male control group, marooned on a different island.

Premiere date: May 6, 2022

• Love 1

I don't hate the boys, but there are too many of them and they're not getting as much screentime as the girls did in the pilot, so I am having a hard time telling them apart. I have no attachment to any of them so far besides maybe Raf and his first friend Seth. I had no idea which boy had died and had to go back and rewatch the scene where they say his name (DJ), and then I realized from his outfit that he was the angry mom-hating guy... who ended up being Gretchen's son Devon and alive at the end... so the death was staged, I guess? Just some random body?

I was so suspicious of Seth and then they didn’t show a little flashback clip of him at the end so I was like ok maybe it’s too obvious lol.

I expected Norah to show up alive but I also expected that DJ wouldn’t be dead either. I didn’t expect him to be Gretchen’s son though. And I still feel like Norah will show up. I mean damn if Gretchen just let 2 girls die for this weird shit. Her son is right, she’s a psychopath lol.

• Love 5
(edited)

Where & how does one go about procuring a random body? Not to mention mangling the face enough to makes the boys believe it was DJ. 

Edited by snarts
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/8/2022 at 1:59 AM, snarts said:

Where & how does one go about procuring a random body? Not to mention mangling the face enough to makes the boys believe it was DJ. 

Bribe or "convert" a hospital morgue employee, probably, or just steal it. The face mangling part... now that, I don't want to think about, lol.

6 hours ago, silverstream said:

Bribe or "convert" a hospital morgue employee, probably, or just steal it. The face mangling part... now that, I don't want to think about, lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gretchen had a whole closet full of dead bodies on tap. I also wouldn't put it past her to enjoy bashing in a dead face or tearing it apart herself. That woman is not stable. 

I wasn't at all surprised he was alive since the face was so mangled. If you don't see the face, it's not the body of the person you think it is. That's tv 101. lol

I'm really not feeling this season yet. I hope that changes as I've been desperate for something new to watch. 

I came really close to just not watching this season, but I have a hard time quitting tv shows, so I tuned in...  And, I didn't hate it nearly as much as I expected to.  Actually, I thought it was pretty good.  I don't dislike the boys' story line, I just hate that it cuts the girls' time in half and extremely prolongs seeing what Rachel's exit strategy is for this whole thing. 

I think this would have gone over better if it had a "normal" tv show season of 16-20 episodes.  They could have done it the same way - had the first 8 be all the girls, then bring in the boys for the 2nd half of the season.  In the good old fashioned days of network television, the reveal of the Adam island's existence would have been the mid-season cliffhanger.  

My one really big, giant, sore thumb nit to pick is Rachel's hand.  There is just no way she'd survive that without massive antibiotics, not to mention the blood loss and I'm sure a whole host of other medical issues. 

• Love 7
On 5/7/2022 at 4:59 PM, snarts said:

Maybe it's the pilot from last season.

• Useful 2

I like this show, and I like the addition of the boys, because I would like to see the boys and the girls team up against Gretchen and company.  It would the antithesis of her plan and her philosophy for Adam and Eve to unite against her.  

But to me, the fundamental flaw of this story is that Gretchen had no reasonable exit plan for her crazy experiment, even if everything went "well."  I mean, she kidnapped and tortured them.  How was she EVER going to explain a fake plane crash?  Furthermore, imprisoning the kids in the bunker is even worse than the island survival part.

This would only be believable with people like Toni and Dot who could be lost in the system, and now I'll add Raf to that because his parents are poor in Mexico.  Which would make it a creepier story because maybe some psycho out there would try it.  I wondered if Marisol's parents are investors in this, and they were so generous because they are getting rid of Raf.  And their support of the scholarship system is to find exploitable people. 

But the others??  Maybe they could have played it that Shelby's and Fatin's parents were willing to exile their wayward daughters, but they have shown Gretchen actually telling Leah's parents she's doing great at the retreat. Rachel's parents would never accept it either.

These doctors wouldn't get sued, they would go to jail for all of this.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I could buy that Gretchen is a level of unhinged that she thinks if her torture experiment produces results everyone will be so blown away by those results they won't think about what she did to get them, but I have a hard time believing that all those working for her are at that same level of blind hubris or are so desperate for work they are willing to torture and then imprison a group of teenagers.  I accept that megalomaniacal Gretchen is too blinded by her goal to see how this has to end, but someone on her team must realize they are all facing jail time once this inevitably gets out, and it has to get out if Gretchen is going to share her findings with the world. So yeah, that part really makes no sense unless she plans on killing all the kids once she gets what she wants from them and then staging it as the plane crashed and they all died and their bodies were lost at sea. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I am amused by Gretchen's supervillanry but it has always been ridiculous that anybody thinks this research could actually get published or that they aren't going straight to jail when the truth is revealed. Maybe the parents didn't read the fine print on contracts but we are still talking about imprisonment and torture and a whole other list of charges and Dot, at least, is a legal adult now. It would be a little easier to buy if all the kids were in the system or from poor families that don't have the resources to go up against Gretchen and her connections or could be shut up with a payout. That's really how the show should have gotten around it, which would be social commentary in and of itself. 

Edited by Evie
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if the son was supposed to stay for longer but when Jeanette died, Gretchen had to extract him to even the numbers.

I'm assuming he was on of the two confederates since he knew exactly what was going on.

Edited by Samwise979
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/10/2022 at 4:00 AM, chaifan said:

My one really big, giant, sore thumb nit to pick is Rachel's hand.  There is just no way she'd survive that without massive antibiotics, not to mention the blood loss and I'm sure a whole host of other medical issues. 

While that would absolutely be my recommendation if somebody lost a hand, people did survive amputations before the advent of antibiotics and blood transfusion. So I can sort of accept that Rachel would be one of those rare exceptions that would have survived.