Type keyword(s) to search

S07:E14: The Paprikash

• Start Topic

I felt sorry for the brother! He seemed like a nice guy so happy to be connecting with his sister and all she really cared about was getting a recipe from him.  So Brianna! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Another tear jerker in a good way.
Who knew an Alzheimer's plot could be heart warming??
And the resolving the loss of a long dead parent?
But I hope my sister doesn't watch this season. She likes to cry A LOT. Like Too Much. 

I know I LOLed at one point during this episode, but I'm not going to rewatch now to find it. This is the problem with dropping too many episodes at once.

The baby is the same age as my first and only grandson, so that was . . . interesting.

Okay. I can't not ask anymore. Is Grace's pale lipstick just supposed to be part of her natural gray hair makeover? 
When it first appeared, I thought it was a hint that she was the one dying. But her face makeup is pretty warm looking, so I guess that's not it. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

The scene between Grace and her brother when she tells him about their dad was so well done; we'd never met the man, or even heard of him until very recently, and I teared up at her descriptions of him.  I love that the things about him that sprang to mind allowed her to explain to Frankie those are the kind of things people are going to remember about her, the things that count.

I know the pandemic means they don't even want to mess with having Faith on screen, but I wish they'd throw in a line each episode about Frankie just having come from doing something with Faith -- a Frankie who thinks she's dying would be trying to cram in time with the grandchild she was so excited to have.

I'm bummed they never truly let the Brianna and Barry relationship rest.  It has been really nice to see a non-traditional arrangement work, but they can never quite resist punishing her for not wanting a damn kid.  Hopefully that all works out.

The critic was funny, and then turned so sweet when Sol explained Robert's situation.  Saying he realized his mom couldn't play bridge anymore before she did, and wished he could have protected her, so, yes, he'll let Robert end his acting career with dignity was great, and then his sincere condolences to Sol for what he's going through, and is going to go through -- just lovely. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The critic was funny, and then turned so sweet when Sol explained Robert's situation.  Saying he realized his mom couldn't play bridge anymore before she did, and wished he could have protected her, so, yes, he'll let Robert end his acting career with dignity was great, and then his sincere condolences to Sol for what he's going through, and is going to go through -- just lovely. 

Yes. A refreshingly compassionate take in the midst of the chaos.

• Love 5

I wish Peter Fonda was still alive so he could have played Grace's brother. I'm not sure how close they were in real life either.

Brianna's boobs were practically falling out of her shirt in her first scene. It was very distracting!

Has Grace never heard of the internet? I'm sure she could find a recipe for chicken Paprikash on the internet that's close enough to her mother's.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Has Grace never heard of the internet? I'm sure she could find a recipe for chicken Paprikash on the internet that's close enough to her mother's.

She tried a bunch of recipes, and nothing was tasting like the one she grew up with.  Thus, getting desperate enough to call her brother.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wish Peter Fonda was still alive so he could have played Grace's brother. I'm not sure how close they were in real life either.

There was overlap between art and life here - in that Peter was really upset by the fact their mom was never talked about after she died (via suicide, although Henry lied and told them it was a heart attack, when Jane was 12 and Peter was 10) - so, yeah, Peter in the role would have been special.

He and Jane leaned on each other in childhood, especially after their mom's death, and got along as adults, but didn't see each other very often.  She was with him in his final days, though.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 5/3/2022 at 10:03 PM, Bastet said:

I'm bummed they never truly let the Brianna and Barry relationship rest.  It has been really nice to see a non-traditional arrangement work, but they can never quite resist punishing her for not wanting a damn kid.  Hopefully that all works out.

This being the most recent episode I've watched, I hope it works out too.  They want to make Brianna look selfish and very self centered but for how long have men acted jealous routinely over a baby?  If it was that important to Barry to have a child maybe he should have broken up with her.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

This show used to be too good for the stupid Barry and baby hiding shenanigans.  Too sitcommy and stupid.  I think this show has gone on one season too long. 

There are some great scenes in the last 2 remaining episodes.

Grace  and Brianna ate two very unlikable bitches. She really didn’t talk to her brother for decades for pretty much no reason they just drifted apart? And she couldn’t pick up a phone but then when she’s hungry and wants comfort food she treats him like shit just to get a recipe? I can’t wait until I finish the next episode so I can stop watching this. 

• Love 1
On 11/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, chediavolo said:

And she couldn’t pick up a phone but then when she’s hungry and wants comfort food she treats him like shit just to get a recipe?

What was really.dumb was that he was over at her house. She could have just said, “Let’s make that family comfort food recipe together and have dinner like old times.” Then just watch what he did—even have Frankie taking notes like she was doing anyway. Then Grace could have met the craving right away AND had the recipe.

• Love 1