Type keyword(s) to search

BBQ Brawl - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, mlp said:

I wish Sunny would stop taunting Bobby.  It's not nearly as amusing as she seems to think it is and she's overdoing it

Literally zero of Sunny’s taunts and comebacks are funny or clever.  You can tell Bobby is straining to be polite.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Is Sam ok? She seems like she’s hanging by a thread. Also seriously depressed in the talking heads. I always assume that means she was eliminated but no. 

On 7/13/2024 at 9:03 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

i haven’t seen this since it’s debut season…it was bit too slow for me.  I love Carson’s energy but he just isn’t fit to be a real judge on these cooking shows.  I’ve seen him grouse at tartare, ceviche…raw stuff.  He’s a personality.

I don't think he's a judge.

And I'll take his "personality" over Sunny and her wigs any day.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Carson is a judge along with Brooke and the other guy whose name escapes me. 

Thanks.  I thought he was just there for "light relief'.  But I rarely watch so I'm obviously no expert!

(edited)
26 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Glad I had finished dinner before this came on.

Seriously.  None of that looked appetizing — everything looked so tough and rubbery / chewy.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Trey said:

For a few seconds I was afraid Ray was going to be eliminated - I'm glad he wasn't.

I think it will come down to Ray and Hugh.

I find the chefs on Bobby's team to be a bit obnoxious and would like them to go home next.

Michael's hair, did he lose a bet? Fall asleep near a mischievous child?

Edited by Grizzly
  • LOL 5

Michael's hair was so hideous that I could barely stand to look at him - and I like him.  Despite that, I thought his team earned their win.  It has seemed to me since this show started that the judges make their decisions based upon the food and don't play favorites or have a hidden (producer-directed) agenda.  I hope I'm right about that.

I could have done without pig brains or any kind of brains for that matter.  All the diishes looked disgusting.  

• Like 5
(edited)

IMO Sunny was extra-obnoxious tonight when she semi-berated Hugh twice because he wanted and took the same protein that Ashley wanted.  That’s how the game is played, Sunny — she didn’t need to fight Ashley’s battle for her.  It was pure BS that first she yelled at Hugh to give Ashley the protein she wanted, then Sunny came into Michael’s kitchen and basically bullied Hugh but he was polite and didn’t back down.  Then she did her stupid passive-agressive smile and laugh.  Later she barked at Michael when he was rightfully guiding his chef facing elimination —  totally allowed — and you could tell Michael had had it with Sunny.  He was not amused.  Lordy, I wish she would SHUT UP or better yet, get off my TV.  Michael stuck up for himself and threw it back at Sunny and told her he was coaching, not heckling like she was.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The weird thing is that I get Sunny and understand she’s just playing her role.  It’s like an amped up even faux angrier version of her yelly self on BBF.  Clearly Bobby does not mind her.

That being said she is verging on obnoxious with her comments.  There is no relief from her attitude, even if it’s the dramatic fake angry thing she has going on.  She is comedic relief with no relief.  She’s all hard with no soft so there is no time to enjoy any part she might bring as a mentor or coach.  She loses so much authority maintaining the schtick.

I thought Elena was going to be the loser.  Her tuna looked really dry.  I thought Ray went out on his terms which is fine.  His food looked pretty lazy and it was a good chance to eliminate him with an obvious error.   I also don’t think Bobby should have adjusted the sauce to that degree.  It’s not his palate being judged, it’s hers.  And in the end it was too sweet anyway and she never would have added honey.

is it me or have we had a run on the flavors of steak au poivre in the last 3 weeks on every cooking show on the food network?

• Like 4
12 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Logan, not Ray, went home.  Sam is constantly sure she's the one to be eliminated.  

Logan went home last week.  Ray went home this week.

• Like 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Trey said:

Logan went home last week.  Ray went home this week.

Confused viewer here.  The episode I recorded on Monday and watched on Tuesday sent Logan home.  

Edited by schnauzergirl
2 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Confused viewer here.  The episode I recorded on Monday and watched on Tuesday sent Logan home.  

They reran last week's ep at 8 and a new ep at 9 ET.

I agree Sunny dialed the annoying up to 11 in this episode and that she is playing a caricature. I do not enjoy a single thing about her bad sport heckling persona. Nothing.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Ugh Sunny is horrible this season. And people complained about Anne! 

Why do they think it is entertaining to have her scream and yell like that? Have Michael and Bobby been briefed because they look downright uncomfortable sometimes when she goes especially nuts.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

My DVR did not pick up episode five - (BBQ hacks?)  - and I don't see it on the schedule to be replayed, or available On Demand. So I assumed the show was on hiatus.  Until I saw new comments on this thread.  Now I am confused.  I'm not really that invested in the show, but since I can't see the episode I feel that I need to see it. FOMO, I guess.

• Like 2
(edited)

Online Sunny’s army fans the flames of her persona and she buys into everything they egg on — and God forbid if you say she should dial it back or she isn’t funny, etc etc.  She becomes horribly defensive and her fans attack like hungry vultures.  So what I’m gathering is that Sunny thinks this persona is enjoyed and amusing because she won’t listen to anyone saying otherwise.  it’s like a fire being flamed up (no BBQ pun intended) and can’t be put out.

I have said before that I enjoy calm, helpful Sunny.  But I loathe when she gets wound up.  I just hate it and there goes my mute button.  It’s a shame because I otherwise like this BBQ Brawl show. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, kirklandia said:

My DVR did not pick up episode five - (BBQ hacks?)  - and I don't see it on the schedule to be replayed, or available On Demand. 

The newest episode, subtitled BBQ Hacks, showed up in the TV listings as season 2, episode 3.  I watch on Philo and was able to find it that way. It's scheduled again for Monday at 8 p.m. (Eastern). 

5 hours ago, dandelion81 said:

The newest episode, subtitled BBQ Hacks, showed up in the TV listings as season 2, episode 3.  I watch on Philo and was able to find it that way. It's scheduled again for Monday at 8 p.m. (Eastern). 

FN has this episode on their schedule for tonight (8/8) at 10E/9C.  

• Like 1
(edited)

I looked at season two episode three, titled BBQ hacks. It was definitely not from this season, had different coaches (Eddie Jackson and Michael Symon with Bobby).

I searched all the streaming services I have access to, and was able to find the last episode, labeled correctly, on Discovery+.  

Victory!  Not sure it was worth the effort.

Edited by kirklandia
On 8/7/2024 at 11:14 PM, MerBearHou said:

Online Sunny’s army fans the flames of her persona and she buys into everything they egg on — and God forbid if you say she should dial it back or she isn’t funny, etc etc.  She becomes horribly defensive and her fans attack like hungry vultures.  So what I’m gathering is that Sunny thinks this persona is enjoyed and amusing because she won’t listen to anyone saying otherwise.  it’s like a fire being flamed up (no BBQ pun intended) and can’t be put out.

I have said before that I enjoy calm, helpful Sunny.  But I loathe when she gets wound up.  I just hate it and there goes my mute button.  It’s a shame because I otherwise like this BBQ Brawl show. 

There’s more online than this?  😂😂😂🤠

I guess the most obvious answer is that she gets paid to be this yelling barky person.  I love some sassiness and I like all types of personalities on the network so the entire network doesn’t look like Geoffrey Zakarian and Bobby flays lol.  But to each their own I guess.  

a lot of people don’t like Alex either and think she is too much of a mean bitch vibe but I like her.  She’s competitive and the more shows she’s on the more I feel like she shows a very authentic range of being competitive and personable.  Same with Tiffany faison.  

• Like 3

Michael's string of wins is over and his team really seemed discombobulated after losing Flora.  Bobby and his team of two keep plugging away.  Sam seems to be teetering on the edge of a breakdown -- feel bad for her.

Sunny, Sunny, Sunny -- could you possibly be any louder or more intrusive?  She usually doesn't bother me because I know she's playing a role that amps up her personality.  Last night she was over-the-top.  

Not quite sure how a dish mandated to be on a stick but has to be eaten with a fork can win.  Guess the taste was so spectacular the judges overlooked one of the criteria.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Sunny, Sunny, Sunny -- could you possibly be any louder or more intrusive?

I wish the producers would replace her with almost anyone else.  She's not a chef and she's not known for being a BBQ expert.  She's just obnoxious.  I'm surprised that Bobby puts up with her nonsense but he actually seems to like her.  She does the same kind of attention seeking behaviors on BBF.  I don't even watch when I see that she's on it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
15 minutes ago, mlp said:

I wish the producers would replace her with almost anyone else.  She's not a chef and she's not known for being a BBQ expert.  She's just obnoxious.  I'm surprised that Bobby puts up with her nonsense but he actually seems to like her.  She does the same kind of attention seeking behaviors on BBF.  I don't even watch when I see that she's on it.

It's odd, though, because I've seen her a couple of times on Chopped and she's been nothing like BBQBrawl.  Her comments were to the point and she showed respect for the competitors, something Scott and Geoffrey don't always do.  I don't watch The Kitchen so can't comment on her demeanor there.

• Like 2

So the common denominator with Sunny being over-the-top loud and obnoxious and not funny is Bobby Flay.  She yells on BBF and she yells on BBQB.  To my eyes, she is showing off for Bobby, to get a laugh out of him, to be in his cool club.  I agree that she’s good on the Easter show.  She also gets wound up with Jeff Mauro on the Kitchen, but not nearly like on BBQB.  I’m also not convinced that Bobby likes her behavior but he’s used to being a very good actor and keeping a steady demeanor around all types of behavior while on TV.  He plays good host, good sport.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

And she's good on the Easter show.

That is true.  So she's perfectly capable of behaving with a little dignity.  I enjoyed her on that show.  Maybe I'm just forgetful but I don't recall that there was an Easter show this past spring.  ???

On 8/21/2024 at 10:21 PM, mlp said:

That is true.  So she's perfectly capable of behaving with a little dignity.  I enjoyed her on that show.  Maybe I'm just forgetful but I don't recall that there was an Easter show this past spring.  ???

I don't care for Sunny..at all...but....this last episode...one of Bobby's team should of been sent home...I was surprised...especially since the judges commented on lack of jalapeños throughout...JMO

• Like 1

I felt bad for Ashley. Other teams had 2 chefs plus a titan to make 3 dishes. And she just had Sunny. I'm sure Sunny is a good cook, but she's not a chef. She hasn't opened any restaurants. It would be like putting Carson as a team captain. She did serve our country in the Air Force so hat's off to Sunny and please could we give this show a rest next year.

• Like 1

I really do enjoy the show overall.  I'm a big, big fan of Brooke, Carson, and Rodney and would be delighted if they replaced Sunny -- there are lots of great options in the FN family.  

• Like 4

I thought the judges made the right decisions.  Michael's team did really well and I wasn't a bit sorry to see Sunny go.  

I've liked Hugh for years so I hope he wins the whole thing.  Almost everything he's made since the beginning has looked great.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Obviously, I'm not going to try to diagnose or pry into any contestant's personal issues.  However, Sam commented more than once about her extreme anxiety, and that was on full display yet again as soon as the bridal couple had a couple of so-so critiques for her.  Then, when she was actually eliminated from the show, she just sat there with her head down, totally dejected, until she silently got up and slunk away.  She didn't even pretend to give the classic, "Sure, I'm sorry I didn't win, but this whole experience has been so great...I don't regret any of my choices...I'm so proud of the food I put out...I'm so grateful for the opportunity...blah blah blah."   

Instead, her exit was just sad and painful to watch.

When she wins, she's great, but when she doesn't, she's very very low.  I'm just thinking that competitions might not be the healthiest place for her?  Then again, she obviously enters herself, so I guess she must be okay with it.

I know I watched her on Beachside Brawl, but I can't say that I remember this behavior then.  Or, maybe I just forgot.  My memory is a memory some days!

Also, because it can't be said enough, please get loud obnoxious Sunny off my TV screen!  Ordinary, normal-decibel Sunny can stay, but we so rarely see her these days.  The whole picking on Bobby and his crispy rice schtick may have been amusing the first time or so, but this many years and episodes of various shows in, it's beyond annoying!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, lgandkihei said:

I know I watched her [Sam] on Beachside Brawl, but I can't say that I remember this behavior then.

I don't remember specifically but I didn't care for her on that show or this one.  Her neediness and whining got very annoying, especially when everyone else (except Sunny) was able to act adult.

It doesn't happen often but I agreed with the judges' decisions throughout the show.  I think Bruce was a distant third and it came down to Erica or Hugh.  I wanted Hugh to win all along but I liked Erica a lot and she seemed to have a slightly better last meal so I was happy for her.  

This is one of the few FN competitions that I think are judged purely on merit rather than producer preference.

• Like 3

Questions.  The finalists all earned their way to the finale.  If there are 5 hours, why not have all 3 chefs have the 5 hours?  Also, why not have each chef have their own sous and not double up on one team captain like they did with Michael?  

I actually liked everyone involved this season.

• Like 6
(edited)

I didn't dislike Erica by any means, but I was really, really rooting for Hugh.

I wanted Michael's team to win and was a fan of both guys.

I strongly disliked the shortening of the cook time by 30 and 15 minutes in the FINALE.  My gosh, that was seriously unfair based on, what I could see, a close decision on 3 good appetizers during that dumb extra challenge.  Bruce having a well-received appetizer docked him 30 minutes??  That is a game-changer.

I also strongly disliked that Bobby was able to be the sous for one chef vs. Michael having to support two chefs and all in the same small workspace.  Again, bad plan for the blasted finale.  

When these chefs have worked this hard for this many weeks, do not have these unbalanced conditions -- just let them cook their best and see who wins.  I'd be more satisfied with the win if it felt like it was done on an even playing field.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
On 9/3/2024 at 5:12 PM, MerBearHou said:

I didn't dislike Erica by any means, but I was really, really rooting for Hugh.

I wanted Michael's team to win and was a fan of both guys.

I strongly disliked the shortening of the cook time by 30 and 15 minutes in the FINALE.  My gosh, that was seriously unfair based on, what I could see, a close decision on 3 good appetizers during that dumb extra challenge.  Bruce having a well-received appetizer docked him 30 minutes??  That is a game-changer.

I also strongly disliked that Bobby was able to be the sous for one chef vs. Michael having to support two chefs and all in the same small workspace.  Again, bad plan for the blasted finale.  

When these chefs have worked this hard for this many weeks, do not have these unbalanced conditions -- just let them cook their best and see who wins.  I'd be more satisfied with the win if it felt like it was done on an even playing field.

I KNEW Bobby's team would win. Ugh. Total BS..I was rooting for Hugh as well. I feel like Bobby's team has to win every damn season.  Becoming annoying. JMHO..

Lol

• Like 1
  • Applause 1