Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: The Double Mask Off -- Round 2 Finals

• Start Topic

I watched this show as I usually do with the sound on mute for most of it.  I'm really only curious to see who;s unmasked.  I guessed the Armadillo correctly.  Man, does Dog look rough!  Not that he was ever a sight for sore eyes anyway.   Sad to see Miss Teddy go.  I have a question though.  I know the show is taped and all but they must have an enormous database of headshots to put up for the judge's guesses or do the judge's have a list of potential singers to chose from?   I might be showing my age and all but many of the guesses are people I've never heard of.

• Love 2

I watched.  This season is not very interesting.  I don't like the way they are doing it in the little groups.  They are getting down to the final one for each group very quickly.  The singers are going to make it to the final while only singing a few times.  Hopefully they will change it up next season.    

• Love 8

I think this season they made a mistake in not mixing up the pools. By the end of the pool, I'm bored with this group and want something else. Hopefully they don't try this again in the future. 

As for the show itself, while it is rigged more than a Russian election, I do believe that the masked identities are legit hidden from everyone. As in the singers don't know the other singers, and the judges don't know either. Nick "officially" doesn't know, but he's right next to the singers and probably hears their normal voices more than anyone else, which probably gives him a stronger idea of who people are. (I think he's hinted a few times that he KNOWS who the singer is).

I suspect that production gives the judges a book of celebrities that they can consult before hand to narrow down their guesses a bit. Maybe some of the judges go off the rails with their own guesses; but a lot of these are Z-list celebrities from fields no one really knows, so I'm not surprised if there are some hints or at least namelists and bios provided to help pad out the guesses. 

As for the Pool B winner, I'm fine with either Ringmaster or Teddy going through; they both did well enough. Armadillo was obviously on borrowed time and had the least parts of the truet at the end. I admit, I do sort've like Ringmaster's costume a bit better so don't mind seeing more of her going forward. 

• Love 2

I wonder if this season’s format had something to do with production constraints and/or the willingness of contestants to devote time and effort to the show. I agree it doesn’t work well.

Never seen Dog’s shows, but we were surprised how short he was.

• Love 2

The thing is, there isn't really anything with this season's format that is much different from previous ones. They've always had multiple groups of singers that combine at the end. (Or at least always in recent seasons). The main difference is they aren't mixing up the groups; we're seeing ALL of a group at once before going to the next, which is a flaw IMO. 

And since it's all prerecorded, it's not as if they couldn't shake up the air order. All they'd need is for Nick to record different "Last week on Masked singer" intros to match up with the air order and they're done.  The judges are already well trained to say "Last time this singer did..." so there isn't any timeline hiccups there normally. 

As I've said before, I hate this "All of a pool all at once". Not only am I getting bored of the same singers week after week, but I'm frustrated in that I don't know what all the singers sound like so I can't tell if a pool is stronger or weaker than another one.

At least we don't have any wildcard slots this year it seems. 

Oh and I haven't said this yet, but I do miss the Initial Impression guesses. I don't mind the loss of the Golden Ear "trophy" but the initial impression guesses were neat and a good time filler. 

Really this season feels a lot rougher than previous ones, like it was thrown together at the last minute with whoever they could get to show up. Makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes to get to this point. Was this season moved up because another show was DOA? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, pnina said:

I watched this show as I usually do with the sound on mute for most of it.  I'm really only curious to see who;s unmasked.  I guessed the Armadillo correctly.  Man, does Dog look rough!  Not that he was ever a sight for sore eyes anyway.   Sad to see Miss Teddy go.  I have a question though.  I know the show is taped and all but they must have an enormous database of headshots to put up for the judge's guesses or do the judge's have a list of potential singers to chose from?   I might be showing my age and all but many of the guesses are people I've never heard of.

I'm in the same boat as you not knowing who half these people are.  I pretty much can't wait until the end of each show just to see whose eliminated. The first few seasons I was able to guess on who some of them might be but now, no way.

Also that version of One Way or Another was awful. Leave it to Blondie to sing. Stick to today's music which I don't care for. Then you can butcher the song anyway you want to. JMHO.

Edited by MrsEVH

Colour me shocked that Miss Teddy, the only non-Good character remaining in this group, did not win the group.  Completely throws the idea that they wanted one good, one bad, and one cuddly in the finals.  I guess it's anybody's game now.

I think Ringmaster is amazing but I would have preferred to have seen Miss Teddy win the group.  Jennifer Holliday is a legend.  Also, I wanted to see if Jenny will shave her head, or at least acknowledge that she said she would shave her head.

I agree that both Ringmaster and Miss Teddy are better than Firefly.

3 hours ago, Taeolas said:

I think this season they made a mistake in not mixing up the pools. By the end of the pool, I'm bored with this group and want something else. Hopefully they don't try this again in the future. 

I agree somewhat.  But in earlier seasons they did mix it up, one week this group, next week this group, third week the third group and then fourth week they would come back to the first group and I had completely forgotten all about them.  For me this season it's a matter of me wanting to at least hear the voices in the third group.  

On 4/16/2022 at 10:44 AM, marriedaniac said:

Please please please shave your head, Jenny!

I remember the utterly fake whatever you call it wrestling match years ago where Vince McMahon and Donald Trump each had their chosen wrestler, and the loser would get their head shaved.  Of course everyone tuned in hoping that Trump and his awful fake hair would get shaved (this was years before he was President, I think it was in the heyday of "The Apprentice") but of course, McMahon was held down while his head was shaved.

It would be amazing if Nicole and Ken got to shave Jenny's head.  I'm sure she will never do it.  But this makes me wonder if Ringmaster is guaranteed to win now.  If Ringmaster loses, they wouldn't want to embarrass their pop culture guru next season by reminding her that she said this and is now too chicken to follow through, would they?

• Love 1

I've said this before that the Masked Singer can be a great show, if only they would take things seriously.  Some of the things I would like changed are....

.  Have the shows live and have the judges and the live audience vote.

.  No more small groups of singers.  Go back to the way season 1 was done.

.  No more fake audience or fake expressions by them.

.  No more "Who is that?" by the judges.  The whole idea is to guess who is behind the mask.  Asking that question for every singer is plain stupid!

A side note....

Nicole Scherzinger has to have the most attractive "un-attractive" face.  I think it's her "stanky face" expressions that makes her unattractive.

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 1

I finally got around to watching this last night. For me, this show over-hypes things which then make me not care. Was Miss Teddy going home disappointing? Sure. But was it the biggest upset in TMS history? Not by a long shot, IMO. Had Armadillo somehow managed to weasel his way to finals week, that would be more of an upset. 

Leslie Jordan is fantastic. Can he replace Jenny next season? 

Apparently tonight’s unmasking(ep 7) leaves the judges speechless which either means you-know-who is finally shown or the ratings for this season are shit and TPTB are doing everything they can to get people to watch. Honestly, with all the unmaskings, nobody has ever truly surprised me. 

• Love 1