Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Welcome to Bro Money, Bro Problems

• Start Topic

Calvin's wealthy and impulsive brother Curtis makes a surprise visit, creating chaos in the Butlers' lives. Also, Dave and Gemma run into challenges while trying to declutter their home.

Airdate: 03/28/2022

I hope we see the money Calvin was saving up for Tina's purse used in a future episode.  Perhaps for a fantastic vacation, or as a much needed injection of funds to help her baking business as a critical juncture.

(I have never understood the allure of an obscenely priced purse myself.)

• Love 4

Tina’s reaction to the bag had me rolling. 

6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I hope we see the money Calvin was saving up for Tina's purse used in a future episode.  Perhaps for a fantastic vacation, or as a much needed injection of funds to help her baking business as a critical juncture.

I get it as a status symbol, but I would never. I’d be too paranoid to carry it - if you spill coffee on my $15K purse, we are fighting. (However, if my sibling won $100M and wanted to buy me a vacation home, I’d take it.)

One of the things I like about the show is that Calvin and Tina are financially comfortable- Calvin is a successful small business owner. He can’t drop all that at once for Tina, but saving up for it is within reach. 

As someone who is currently spending money on a storage unit (my dad passed away and I’m storing his stuff; I hope to have the unit cleaned out by the end of the year, or at least downsized to a smaller and cheaper unit), I was nodding when Gemma said she didn’t want to do that. I don’t think we knew about her pageant past, did we?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I once spent close to $300 on a purse, and for me, that’s expensive. It was large enough so I could use just the one bag for work, though.

Did we know Calvin had a wealthy via lottery win brother?

I don’t remember Gemma’s pageant past either. I’m not a minimalist, but for dresses like that, wouldn’t pictures and memorabilia be enough to remember the glory days?

Mr. Zoey & I are retired, but I relate much more to Calvin & Tina. I find both Gemma & Dave so annoying sometimes.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Did we know Calvin had a wealthy via lottery win brother?

I remember it being mentioned a few seasons back. Think it came up in the context of getting birthday presents for their mom (whatever Calvin got was upstaged by his brother)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

if you spill coffee on my $15K purse, we are fighting.

I don't have the best eye, but I looked up Birkin bags and I think the one Tina had sells for $50K.  That is insane.  Does it really look that much better than anything else?

40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't have the best eye, but I looked up Birkin bags and I think the one Tina had sells for $50K.  That is insane.  Does it really look that much better than anything else?

Yeah, I think Birkins start at $10K and can go up to six figures. I think, like most designer things, it’s partially about the quality (materials, craftsmanship) and more about status. 

3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I don’t remember Gemma’s pageant past either. I’m not a minimalist, but for dresses like that, wouldn’t pictures and memorabilia be enough to remember the glory days?

I think she wanted to keep the dresses because they were made by her mother.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think looks are not the point, it's a status symbol.   I don't know how comfortable I'd be carrying around a bag that costs a much as a decent car, but then again,  I have nowhere to go where a $50K purse would fit in. 

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I think she wanted to keep the dresses because they were made by her mother.

Plus (as Gemma said) they're so pretty!  Probably a lot of nostalgia involved for the pageant life.   It did bug me a bit when she mocked Dave's treasured nostalgic clothing,  but when it became hers,  she was all "oh no you don't" to the organizer.  But I guess that's typical sitcom.   I would personally kill to have someone come to my house,  have me leave,  and come back to a completely decluttered house. 

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

I would personally kill to have someone come to my house,  have me leave,  and come back to a completely decluttered house. 

Me, too.

• Love 1

I think I've spent about $300-400 on a purse before but I've always found Birkin's ugly do I've never gotten the appeal. I did like how it got delivered by a white glove doorman. Wonder if he had security for delivery? 

I don't remember them every mentioning the beauty pageant part but some of those dresses were PRETTY!! And of course Dave had JNCO.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2022 at 7:24 PM, mansonlamps said:

I would personally kill to have someone come to my house,  have me leave,  and come back to a completely decluttered house. 

I would, until I tried to find something I used and that had been deemed clutter by the organizer. Or until I had to figure out if it was still in the house, where it might be.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Just watched the rerun of this one. Tina (I think) made some remark along the lines of, he (rich brother) could buy us one of those sleep number beds. Then, at least two ad breaks included ads for sleep number beds. No ads for fancy purses so far, though.