Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Call Me The Bad Boy of Cheese

• Start Topic

I've not seen any cats in Kat's kitchen that I recall.  The kitties are always in the sitting area lounging or on cat trees or shelves.  It's like dining outdoors in a dog-friendly eating establishment.  I guess if you don't like cats or dogs you shouldn't go there.  Just like if you don't want to be around kids, stay out of Chuck E. Cheese.

• Love 3

I see cats in every episode. I'm a cat person, so I'd like them front and center, but the cat cafe is basically a setting, not the premise of the show.  And don't forget, cats sleep 18 hrs a day and many aren't very social.  I pretend most of them are sleeping in a quiet, cozy spot.

Also, I rewatched this episode and, good grief, Nick isn't as bad as some people are saying.  A bit of a jerk and definitely thinks highly of himself, but a sociopath?  Maybe it's just me, and he can be annoying, but I'm not seeing evil or horrible or supervillain or whatever. 

I get that some people have had to deal with some horrible people and that makes them sensitive to someone that could develop into the horrible person they had to deal with, but I don't see Nick as that guy.  But, then again, I've never been there and feel sorry for any of you that have.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I think part of the issue is that cats are harder to work with as animals than dogs. But I think there are plenty of cats.  Just because Friends hung out in Cafe Nervosa didn't mean they had a story about the coffee they were drinking. 

Café Nervosa was from Frasier, not Friends. 😉

Maybe a better analogy is with the comic book store on BBT.  There were several plots written into the show that featured it and all that a shop like it would have in it, including the clientele.  It wasn't just a convenient backdrop.  I would like it if Kat's Cat café could be more than that.

Nick wouldn't have to do anything more than what he's already done for me to consider him a repulsive, obnoxious scumbag. So, I guess some people just have different standards for what is acceptable behavior. But my opinion of him is not based on a fear he'll do something worse that we haven't seen yet. It's based entirely on exactly what he's already done.

• Love 10

This is what a real cat cafe is: https://catnipcatcafe.com/

They are specifically places people go to spend time with cats. The refreshments are like popcorn at the movies-- it's how the place makes money, and it may even be something people like about the place, but it's not the primary reason why people go there.

It could work very well as a setting, like the bar in Cheers or the hospital in Scrubs. It is not like the coffee shop in Friends. That show was called "Friends" not "Coffee Shop" but even so, they always had coffee when they were at the coffee shop.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what any of us think because the show is going to do what it's doing. But I thought it was an interesting premise to set a show in a cat cafe, and so that's why it's hard for me to get over the fact that they aren't actually doing that at all.

• Love 2

We have some really cool cat cafes in CT, especially the one in New Haven, called "Mew Haven".  Here are some photos of it and here's the website, FYI.  It's really all about the cats.  It looks like they even sponsor adoptions.  If it wasn't so far from me I'd love to go there and I don't even have a cat!

• Love 4
22 hours ago, ctlady said:

As they should be.  It's an establishment that sells coffee and baked goods.  We'd be sending a dish back if a human hair was found in it.  I don't know how Kat gets away with the health code by having fluffy cats who obviously shed a lot roam around inside a cafe

This actually brings up a point about Nick's dodgy-ass business. Can you imagine the legal hoops and endless health department interaction that Kat had to go through to set up her business? She clearly is the type to follow all the rules and correct procedures, which means she must have spent a ton of time and money getting her business up on its feet. And here Nick's just importing illegal food, selling beer without a liquor license, and has his dog in the restaurant - which I'm not sure is a health code violation (I know several stores with in-house dogs, but they don't handle food) but Nick definitely hasn't checked. If I'd gone through a ton of trouble to follow correct procedure and a rival business owner showed up with none of that work behind him AND kept insulting me AND deliberately trying to sabotage my business, I'd have a call in to the health department and the ATF before closing time.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Same here.  For the sole reason I cannot stand anyone who thinks the rules are for everyone else and not for themselves.

I agree.  Nick is a jerk and I would hate if Kat ended up with him.  Plus I like Oscar and Kat together.  I also like Max and Kat's friendship.  They didn't have chemistry as a couple and his character was acting pathetic at the beginning of this season.  But then the responsibility episode showed his potential as a character.  I don't want Nick replacing Max either.  Max was conceited but he didn't break rules.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, realdancemom said:

I agree.  Nick is a jerk and I would hate if Kat ended up with him.

I just checked imdb.com, Andy Favreau (Nick) is only scheduled as appearing in one episode, so I don't think we have to worry about that.  Thank goodness!

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

On the one hand, I am SO not here for one of those "assholes are here to challenge you" narratives where someone is a total ass to the main character and they find this sexy for some reason, throwing out their perfectly lovely partner for some jackass who treats them like something they scrapped off their shoe while pretending like its romantic. Hopefully this is just a fluke and Kat comes to her senses about this silly crush by next episode.

On the other hand, much greater cat visibility in this one, and a bonus doggo sighting! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I just checked imdb.com, Andy Favreau (Nick) is only scheduled as appearing in one episode, so I don't think we have to worry about that.  Thank goodness!

The good thing is with all of Nick's illegal activities, it would be easy to write him off the show.  No business, No Nick.

• Love 6

For those hoping we'd seen the last of Andy Favreau as Cheese Guy Nick, bad news... per the last item in this TVLine post,

* Call Me Kat has tapped Andy Favreau (Champions) to recur as a neighboring shop owner who becomes a source of conflict for Kat’s cafe, TV Insider reports. Additionally, Laura Bell Bundy’s guest spot as a love interest for Cheyenne Jackson’s Max has been expanded to recurring.

• Useful 1