Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E16 The Sleepover

• Start Topic

This is what the I wish the bar mitzvah episode had been. Dean's story isn't seperate from what is happening with his friend but instead is directly connected to what his friend is going through.

I like that they made Corey a scholar-athlete. It's great that he can be smart and good at sports without resorting to the cliche "teachers are giving him grades he doesn't deserve so he can qualify for sports and play in the big game." 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, cinsays said:

would the principal have announced that this was the first black kid to win the student of the week award?

glad Dean and Corey were friends again at the end

Perhaps it was the first year of integrated schools, or have they retconned that?

• Love 1

I don't think Dean is ever going to sleepover at Corey's again. 

I loved everyone pointing out how petty Dean was especially Bill talking about how petty Dean was when he peed on him as a baby.

Dean thinking his parents were going to be bored home alone with no kids. Wondering why his parents didn't answer his 19 calls or why they left phone off the hook.

I like the dilemma Dean was in. It is hard to keep a big secret from your best friend especially when it's about his family. For once he wasn't being petty but didn't know how to handle it. I like that he went to his parents. Although they didn't really help him. They added to his worries. So did Kim. 

Although I'm not sure why he didn't just say he was running to the gas station or something. I liked that Corey's dad apologized for asking Dean to keep such a secret. 

• Love 4
On 3/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, cinsays said:

would the principal have announced that this was the first black kid to win the student of the week award?

glad Dean and Corey were friends again at the end

I would’ve assumed they would’ve used the word “Negro”- which was never a slur or a pejorative, but fell out of use after the Civil Rights moment for obvious reasons. My Mom is the same age as Dean’s older brother Bruce, and that’s the term that was used in 1968 in Chicago, in integrated spaces. 

But the use of “black” threw me too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would’ve assumed they would’ve used the word “Negro”- which was never a slur or a pejorative, but fell out of use after the Civil Rights moment for obvious reasons. My Mom is the same age as Dean’s older brother Bruce, and that’s the term that was used in 1968 in Chicago, in integrated spaces. 

But the use of “black” threw me too.

Maybe there’s a better place to respond to this - please let me know and I’ll move it - but I was about Dean’s age, and I remember having sincere conversations with friends (we were all white but had new neighbors/classmates) about the correct terminology. Colored? Negro? Black?  We knew for sure, there was one option that was not appropriate. 

• Useful 1