Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Bound by One Track

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

This is turning into an Ingar Bergman movie meme, what with all the moody lighting, weird music, and ponderously slow plot development.

I was somewhat relieved to see that Wilford will pull through.  Not for him, understand, but you can't. kill. Sean Bean.

I'd like to have some of that hydraulic fluid.  Stays liquid even under -100 degrees for a couple of years.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2022 at 3:37 AM, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised that Wilford killed children, you would think they would be a lot more desirable and useful than old people,

I’m not surprised. Wilford isn’t exactly a longterm thinker. Even with Snowpiercer, he prioritised his comfort and pleasure over longterm sustainability. The man built a nightclub and had genetic engineers shot. He was thinking of who would be useful to him in the immediate future, medium-term at best. Apart from the Headwoods, most of his crew are on the youngish side so, six years ago, he would have expected that he’d be able to get decades of work out of them. He’d also have been able to count on at least fifteen years before fertility became an issue. If they hadn’t retaken Snowpiercer by then, making a new generation would still be an option, though I doubt he thought that far ahead. He was probably certain that he would be able to retake Snowpiercer long before he needed to worry about a new generation. I can see why he would decide that it wasn’t worth keeping young children, who wouldn’t be able to work for years, and definitely not worth keeping them instead of productive adults. 

What interests me is that Wilford seemed genuinely regretful. 

Also, when Big Alice caught up to Snowpiercer, her crew was obviously living in very straitened circumstances. Apart from Wilford, they all seem to have lived a bit better than the Tail in terms of accommodation and food, but definitely worse than Third Class. Would they have survived if there was no Cull, and they had to sustain twice the number of people, with no facility to grow their own food? 

Edited by ReganX
  • Love 2

Yay finally a Melanie sighting! IMO She just takes over the scene-in a good way. So subtle yet so riveting. I liked how Alex and Wilford had imaginary Melanie as their confidant? Source of strength? (I can't think of the word I mean). Wilford rents space in everyone's heads, but Melanie does, too. 
Alex feeling torn over hating and loving Wilford was pretty powerful.

Bad idea to have Asha answering questions about New Eden. That's not coming back to bite Layton's ass at all! Also, his trusting Zarah at all, for anything, is a really bad idea.

Once again a man is using Ruth for their long game. Hope her ego doesn't fall for it this time. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel about Pike. I don't trust him, but I kind of want to?

The cull cars--were all of them children? 

I can't remember what else stood out right now. There was so much going on!

This show is rather a worst nightmare thing for me. I cannot imagine being stuck with people I don't much like, who keep having wars and other bs going on, and I can't just jump off the train to find some peace and quiet. I'd have to hide out by myself in one of the 1,042 cars that no one visits! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

The cull cars--were all of them children? 

No. Alex mentioned that couples were split up. 

They probably started out with some dependents. Chances are that most, if not all, of Wilford’s crew were originally supposed to be part of Snowpiercer’s staff but were left behind when Melanie left without Wilford, and we know from Roche that at least some of the staff were able to bring dependents. If the same was true on Big Alice, there were probably some spouses as well as children prior to the Cull. 

I thought that it was a nice touch that Wilford used the book club as part of his decision-making process. 

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, ReganX said:

No. Alex mentioned that couples were split up. 

They probably started out with some dependents. Chances are that most, if not all, of Wilford’s crew were originally supposed to be part of Snowpiercer’s staff but were left behind when Melanie left without Wilford, and we know from Roche that at least some of the staff were able to bring dependents. If the same was true on Big Alice, there were probably some spouses as well as children prior to the Cull. 

I thought that it was a nice touch that Wilford used the book club as part of his decision-making process. 

Thank you!
I need to rewatch. I sometimes get caught up in looking around at the environment and apparently miss what they're saying. 

I felt it was convenient that the last two Australians were dead from the flu. Any sort of contagious, possibly deadly, illness would be a very big deal, and all it got was an "Oh yeah, they're dead, whatevs".  That just felt lazy. Wonder if they'll write Jinju off in the same way? The writers doing their own culls.

• Love 1

Good episode, if not a bit dreary.

• It sure seems like Asha went stir crazy and killed some folks, huh?
  • I can't decide if Melanie is actually still alive or not.
  • Australians are now extinct. Damn flu.
  • One pet peeve - Zara's pregnancy pillow is awful and the actress just shot right up off the couch without even trying to fake a struggle.
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I felt it was convenient that the last two Australians were dead from the flu. Any sort of contagious, possibly deadly, illness would be a very big deal, and all it got was an "Oh yeah, they're dead, whatevs".  That just felt lazy. Wonder if they'll write Jinju off in the same way? The writers doing their own culls.

I think anybody that wasn't coming back, due to not being important enough, previous commitments, or COVID restrictions, probably died from that flu. There is still no word on what happened to Miles, the kid so important to Layton and Josie, the engineer in training.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I was somewhat relieved to see that Wilford will pull through.  Not for him, understand, but you can't. kill. Sean Bean.

Not again, you mean?

Wilford is sharp in his way, he was able to figure out where they were, and he knew that Javi was driving.  But he takes calculated gambles.  Killing off Alex's playmate could have made Alex resent him, but it might also make her grateful to him for saving her, and keeping her isolated made her more dependent on him.  Apparently the train needs his knowledge, so killing him off is risky - as is keeping him around.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I think anybody that wasn't coming back, due to not being important enough, previous commitments, or COVID restrictions, probably died from that flu. There is still no word on what happened to Miles, the kid so important to Layton and Josie, the engineer in training.

He transferred to Life Systems in Season 2, and wanted to be one of the first colonists outside. You’d think that Life Systems is an area that Layton would want to touch base with, if they are devising ways to live outside the train.

Winnie is the only child character who is still in any way prominent. I’m not counting Alex or LJ, since the actresses are adults even if the characters are not yet 18. It’s to be hoped that they’re feeding Winnie well, given the number of calories she must burn running around the train delivering messages. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, ReganX said:

It’s to be hoped that they’re feeding Winnie well, given the number of calories she must burn running around the train delivering messages. 

1,029 cars long.  Or whatever it is.

• LOL 1

It was great to see Melanie, even if she is just a hallucination. I miss her a lot, losing her was a real loss for the show. Very dark and meditative episode, I thought it was a good outing for Alex. Her being conflicted about Wilford, a man who she knows is evil but she also loves as the man who raised her, was quite compelling. 

Pike just cant not cause trouble can he? Sucks to hear that the Australians are both gone offscreen. I guess some characters had to go during the brief time skip, but its still sad to hear it. I play the didgeridoo mournfully in their honor. 

I know that Layton still loves Zarah and she's carrying his child, but he needs to learn that she's a survivor. She'll usually be up to play for the winning team, even if it means she has to do some bad things. Its sort of hard to fully blame her for letting Wilford experiment on the baby though, Wilford was king of the kingdom, she probably didn't have all that much of a choice even if she didn't really think it was for the best.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2022 at 7:34 PM, SgtMathias said:

Melanie was the only really interesting character, played by the best actress - and they killed her of.

Makes me wonder why. 

I mean, if she is available to play the ghost in Alex's/Wilford's heads, why kill her off at all?

• Useful 1
On 2/17/2022 at 1:05 PM, rmontro said:

1,029 cars long.  Or whatever it is.

I believe Alex said 1034 now. 

i soo 2anted Alex to reject Wilford especially after being reminded of what he did, killing her little friend. Yet she had so little time with Mel. 

Pike and Ruth, was rooting for them until Pike got on his soap box about who should be leader. The guy just can not be happy. I hope Ruth kicks him to the curb and helps Layton. 

Does no one care that LJ is still out an about and now in charge of the night car? She murders Kevin, she got away with her previous murder and they used her bar to torture and kill more tallies. I mean by now she should be in Refuge digging sh** etc. 

Ahh Sam, I get it why he did it but wow what do they do now? 

im curious, is there no one from first class anymore? And why are the tallies still in squalor shanty town.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, rtms77 said:

I believe Alex said 1034 now. 

im curious, is there no one from first class anymore? And why are the tallies still in squalor shanty town.

It’s 1,029.

There were 1,034 after Snowpiercer and Big Alice were connected in Season 2, then the Aquarium Car was destroyed, leaving 1,023 cars under Wilford and a 10-car pirate train. The pirate train decoupled four cars, so they’re down to 1,029.

As for First Class, it was out of commission under Wilford’s regime, and all of the passengers were put to work, regardless of their original class or whether or not they were paying passengers or train staff. Wilford intended to reinstate it. The Tailies are probably still in limbo, to an extent. They might have more freedom of movement but may not have been assigned living quarters.

• Useful 1

Harsh for Alex having to visit those cull cars.  She has to not blame herself.

oh here is where we learned about the last Australians.  I binged 2-4 in one setting.

I agree that Zara, LJ , will switch sides in a second if it suited them.  I don’t trust Pike either.  Ruth will hopefully see it.  
Asha will be trouble even unintentionally