Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 2 Pounds Of Chat

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Our knees do show our age. My fat shows up in the middle, not in my legs or butt. No butt wings, and my face stays slim.

Replying to @nokat’s post above. 

I have always said that if you grow up fat, it does help to be tall and blessed with an hourglass figure/slim face- but I remember being 8 years old and MORTIFIED when another child asked me what was wrong with my knees, why were they so fat??(I do have an extra roll of fat there, and inner thigh fat, not as bad as Tina but larger than one would expect from someone my size) 

I wasn’t upset that I was called fat, I’ve been fat my entire life I am used to it, but I legit didn’t know WHY I had a roll of fat there and I was peeved because it was so usual especially on kids. 

So when you said “your knees show our age” I laughed, because someone should’ve told my 8yrs old self that.

I also think for most women who were fat children, we are more proportional than women who gain after pregnancy or with menopause. Probably something about how we have more fat cells because we gained weight earlier in life maybe?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Replying to @nokat’s post above. 

I have always said that if you grow up fat, it does help to be tall and blessed with an hourglass figure/slim face- but I remember being 8 years old and MORTIFIED when another child asked me what was wrong with my knees, why were they so fat??(I do have an extra roll of fat there, and inner thigh fat, not as bad as Tina but larger than one would expect from someone my size) 

I wasn’t upset that I was called fat, I’ve been fat my entire life I am used to it, but I legit didn’t know WHY I had a roll of fat there and I was peeved because it was so usual especially on kids. 

So when you said “your knees show our age” I laughed, because someone should’ve told my 8yrs old self that.

I also think for most women who were fat children, we are more proportional than women who gain after pregnancy or with menopause. Probably something about how we have more fat cells because we gained weight earlier in life maybe?

I think we're better as a pear than an apple. Fat is better on our hips. You would hear me coming wearing corduroys.  

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1

I had a nice figure with long legs in my late teens early twenties.  When I started gaining weight it went right to my middle.  Today when you see me from the front or back its ok but wholly moley when you see a profile I'm 36 months pregnant and I've had at least 2 people ask me how far along I am.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, mytmo said:

I had a nice figure with long legs in my late teens early twenties.  When I started gaining weight it went right to my middle.  Today when you see me from the front or back its ok but wholly moley when you see a profile I'm 36 months pregnant and I've had at least 2 people ask me how far along I am.

I hope you don't have anyone feeling your belly and asking how far along you are. I still have the long legs. No butt wings. But I can't wear the form fitting tank tops.

Edited by nokat

Not only fat, but blood vessels, and other tissues would have to be removed, cauterized, and stitched back together for any removal surgery Vannessa would have.   .   I bet Vannessa's excess skin, and various fat deposits would add up to a lot of pounds.    Very major surgery.   

Vannessa resembles a woman I worked with that had Cushing's disease, with the tiny legs, and all of her weight from the hips and higher.    

• Useful 1

The Dr. Makes it sound impossible to get thin without the surgery. Is there a way to get past the stall without surgery? I know a few obese folks who,lost the weight on their own and kept it off. I wonder why it is so much harder for some people? Not snarking…legitimately wondering 

Quoting @sainte-chapelle above. 

I don’t think it’s “impossible” but I think it’s quite difficult. Of people I know that have lost 100lbs or more without bariatric surgery, and kept off at least 80% of what they lost, most of them became devoted to having meticulous diets- not that they never ate a cookie again but they have a calorie range and they stick to it, except for maybe a few times a year (major holidays/vacations) and they have become fitness devotees (300 or more minutes of tense exercise per week). 

It’s much more common to be successful at keeping off 40-60lbs.

Why is it so much harder for some people? Assuming best case scenario (no serious trauma or emotional issues that cause you to abuse food, intelligence and self awareness to change)- if you are someone who’s naturally inclined to eating large amounts, and not naturally inclined to physical activity, and you live in a society with easy access to cheap calories, where by many many people have sedentary jobs (technology has many workers sitting at a desk all day) you fight keep weight off the way people 200yrs ago who had to work for every calorie may have fought to keep it on. 

I know for myself- only eating “half” or a piece of something is completely counter intuitive to me. I remember growing up I never understood how anyone would order a “small” of something- wouldn’t you want the biggest size possible? Splitting things is an excellent way to cut calories but still enjoying higher calorie dishes- I know that NOW as an adult with knowledge of how calories work and that I don’t “need” it all, but that doesn’t stop me from wanting it. 

I’ve lost about 60lbs in the last year and change (no surgery, just counting calories and walking my dog), and I’m intellectually accepting that I’ll probably never feel “full” (as in satisfied) most of the time. But I’m not “hungry” I’m just rarely full. 80% of the time I could always eat more. For people like me- it gives us a little 😞.

6 hours ago, nokat said:

I was a stick growing up, but breaking my pelvis and back left me bed bound and heavier. I very much think genetics play a part in how heavy we get.

I was a brown round bundle of bundle of love from day one. But thank god puberty was kind to me and I grew decently tall with an hourglass figure. I remember when I was 11 I was finally tall enough to fit into the clothes at Lane Bryant and my mom was so happy (no longer getting clothes especially made) I grew taller and the weight went up and down. 

• Love 3

I don’t know anyone who was morbidly obese who lost a lot of weight, except for a few who had surgery.  Most of them have kept it off.  I had a friend I knew from childhood, who died a couple of years after the surgery.  She was in her 40s. She stayed sick and gradually died, though I’m not sure why. She died in the bathroom at the hospital.  Still a mystery, but she stayed so sick after surgery, that we think it was malnutrition.  

I have a nephew who is morbidly obese. We aren’t sure why. Neither parent is even slightly overweight.  His sister is also very overweight. The other two siblings are thin -average size.  It’s a mystery.  Nephew is under doctor monitored weight loss diet now, but he is strict for a week, then back to a steady diet of fast food.  He probably eats 2 meals a day of fast food, pizza, Chinese, tacos, etc.  He is probably the most food obsessed person I’ve ever known.  I honestly don’t think he is capable of sustained living without large quantities of fast food.  I’m not even convinced the surgery would help him, because he’s so invested in gorging on food.  Surprisingly, he’s active, has a great paying job that he has to be mobile for 12 hr shifts.  I don’t know how he does it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I feel like my sister is getting to the morbidly obese stage. I haven't seen her because you know, but I talk with her.  What I do know is  that fast food will add pounds.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

I like Vanessa, too.That's a good point that she can move what's probably an awkward body. I agree that she's not an exhibitionist or attention seeker. Her behavior is a big "fuck you" to people who would judge and condemn her. I'm here for it. There will be people who are offended by the sight of lots of flesh. Not Vanessa's problem. The solution is to look away. Big people, especially women, shouldn't think they have to hide their bodies to make others comfortable.

Moved this to Small Talk to comment about this outside of the show.  Societally we tend to provide great support to very large men who are working out or doing anything else we see as positive behavior.  Whereas women are repeatedly reminded they should cover up.  So, often, even when large women are trying to exercise, they are being told that they should hide away or they are subjected to many comments about how they look.  It is a real issue that only worsens issues of obese people.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have found that the older I get, the less I care about appearances.  I’m a lot more relaxed about how I look since fashions changed and it became perfectly acceptable to wear pjs and bedroom slippers in public. 😝  It’s sort of freeing.  I actually feel like I could wear any kind of outfit out shopping and no one would think it was odd….strapless, halter, shorts, pajamas, midriff, see through, etc, lol This was even the trend before covid.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

All of these women are beautiful regardless of their size. I was as wide as I  was tall. Took me 20 years to lose weight and I am 15 pounds from my goal. All ever wanted was to be healthy. You all deserve health and happiness and with hard work you can do it. My motto is never stop moving

• Love 8

If Vanessa was interested, I bet either a Dental school, or a cosmetic dentist would do the work for the publicity of being on the show.      

On My 600 Lb Life, either Benji or his brother David went to a cosmetic dentist who did what he could with the horrible teeth, came up with a treatment plan, and did cosmetic dentures that fit over his sad remainders of teeth, until everything could get worked on.    There are enough resources in Atlanta that could help Vannessa.    And go on a trip to see Molly at her bra shop.  

• Love 2

I keep seeing the ad for the Queen of Versailles show on one of the streaming services, but is she someone I should recognize?  
She keeps the common touch, when she says the house is the size of a Super WalMart.  That cracks me up.

• LOL 2
On 4/12/2022 at 6:14 PM, auntjess said:

I keep seeing the ad for the Queen of Versailles show on one of the streaming services, but is she someone I should recognize?  
She keeps the common touch, when she says the house is the size of a Super WalMart.  That cracks me up.

Speaking of walmart....have you seen the ads featuring Whitney Thore? I've lost all respect for them. 😄 I'm thinking Tammy Slaton or Momma June must not have been available. 

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Speaking of walmart....have you seen the ads featuring Whitney Thore? I've lost all respect for them. 😄 I'm thinking Tammy Slaton or Momma June must not have been available. 

What da F is Whitney selling? And don't doubt that the Slatons AND the 10000 pound Friends aren't thinking of ways to stay popular and sell whatever they can. 

I'm really tired of the "weight loss journey" TV shows on TLC. Although I still hold out hope for the 1000 pound friends.

• Love 2

She's advertising Walmart's plus size clothes, and they do have a lot of style and color options, and the prices are pretty good.    I was just glad Whitney was covered up.    I just wonder why they picked her, instead of someone who doesn't have the bizarre backstory.   

• Love 5
On 4/15/2022 at 6:52 PM, chenoa333 said:

And don't doubt that the Slatons AND the 10000 pound Friends aren't thinking of ways to stay popular and sell whatever they can. 

Last night I was bumbling around facebook and stumbled upon some woman's MLM group for Paparazzi jewelry. I started watching a Facebook Live that included one of the women from this show (literally have forgotten her name already, it was the dark haired one with the lipedema on her legs). It was...a mess. I know MLM victims tend to be pretty...well...unprofessional in their presentation, but I spent ten minutes watching these two try to set up some sort of presentation in a filthy room, moving the camera around, chatting to each other, focusing the camera on one eyebrow for several minutes while the other one shuffled stuff around offscreen. I am so befuddled why people would watch this (yes, I know, I watched it for a few minutes, but in my defense it was at the end of the night and three glasses of wine in). In the ten minutes I watched I never saw a single piece of the butt-ugly jewelry, and you can't fast-forward through Lives. Why wouldn't they set everything up and THEN do the Live? It was totally amateur hour. 

Oddly, I ended up getting this "Paparazzi" group suggestion from searching for hiking groups for Mt. Whitney. 

26 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

you can't fast-forward through Lives

I think that ^^^ will become my mantra: You can't fast forward through life! 

28 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

Oddly, I ended up getting this "Paparazzi" group suggestion from searching for hiking groups for Mt. Whitney. 

Would that be Mt. Whitney THOR?

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I think that ^^^ will become my mantra: You can't fast forward through life! 

Would that be Mt. Whitney THOR?

Absolutely not. I have zero interest in climbing that particular mountain.

• LOL 3

I've just been rewatching the first season,  and Too Large.    I have to say,   I like Vanessa a lot.  More than the others.   She seems so genuine.   Yes she's a little crass , over the top, and almost naked way too much,  I know.    Out of all these weight loss shows,  I care about her and I'm pulling for her the hardest. She seems like a good friend. She's a great mom,  not perfect ,  but loving.   Just putting it out there.    And her progress is awesome! She looks so much better!

• Like 2