Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Attachments

• Start Topic

I didn't think this one was that terrible. Still tired of the family drama, although I'm kind of curious about what Griff and Mom are actually hiding from Sam if it wasn't his donor list or that drug trial.

And, honestly, I can see Griff's side of what happened in this one. I don't want to make judgments about it being illegal or unethical because I can kind understand what he did.

I liked Griff and Lex. Still like Caleb.

My final thought? The hospital doesn't use that ambulance?

10 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I didn't think this one was that terrible. Still tired of the family drama, although I'm kind of curious about what Griff and Mom are actually hiding from Sam if it wasn't his donor list or that drug trial.

Sad thing? The very first thought I had was that Sam's mom cheated on Griff and Sam isn't his kid. From the last scene with both parents, as well as with Rhonda/Sam, it certainly implied that Sam's mom is at the forefront of whatever is in that envelope, and Griff is there, supporting her and keeping her secret.

Which...show, please avoid. I know you're already written and likely filmed, but please avoid that route.

This episode was...mildly better. Again, softening Griff a little bit is helping. Lex got more to do, as well, which was nice.

Seeing the third resident on Sam's team (Joey?) was alright. Him and his boyfriend are ok, but he's probably the least interesting. 

Caleb's alright, but I think his least interesting aspect is his thing with Sam. Kind of hope she keeps turning him down and he eventually moves on, so we avoid any dreaded love triangle that they're already setting up.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Sad thing? The very first thought I had was that Sam's mom cheated on Griff and Sam isn't his kid. From the last scene with both parents, as well as with Rhonda/Sam, it certainly implied that Sam's mom is at the forefront of whatever is in that envelope, and Griff is there, supporting her and keeping her secret.

My thoughts exactly.  It is most likely something with her birthright.

I, too, am done with the family drama.  That can go anytime.  I mean, keep the tension between the Drs Griffiths, that part is good, but the whole Mom-Dad-Sam triangle and competition for the job and the oh my god conflict of interest inherent in that triangle and competition for the job needs to go.  In no way, in the real world, would ANY of that be OK.  Not in the slightest.

This episode was also the first time we really got insight into the Lex and Griff relationship.  Prior to this I just assumed Griff was being a dick and horndogged onto his daughter's best friend as a basic power move.  He had opportunity, the power differential made him feel more powerful, the age difference made him feel like he's still a stud, and the potential of making his ex and his daughter uncomfortable was a big bonus.  I didn't think he really cared for Lex, she was just a tool.  Even after he recovered from his coma, I thought he only wanted her back because she was the one to end it, and that stung his ego.  I thought he wanted back with her so then he could end it, and thus repair his ego. 

Turns out there's real feelings there.  On both sides.  That scene where she's doing the reattachment surgery and he's silently cheerleading her through the window was nicely done.  Not only was it a good bookend to the similar scene where he was cheerleading Sam through her surgery, but it showed how Lex still looks to Griff for encouragement and how Griff freely offers it.  I'm not familiar with the actress, but Skye P. Marshall acted the hell out of that sequence, sans dialogue no less, and that can't be easy when half of her face was covered by a mask.  Her eyes, eyebrows, forehead, and head tilts communicated so much.  I was very impressed.  I loved how she looked to Griff for support when she was lacking confidence, and how she looked to him again in triumph.  

Lex and the patients of the week are becoming my favorite characters.  I'm not really fond of Sam, though her House-like diagnostic eureka moments move the plot along nicely.  I loathe Sam's mom.  Griff is OK, but only in small doses.  The rest of the interns?  Meh.

• Love 1

So now "everyone" knows that Sam "lost" the $10 million because of a backroom deal? And no one has pointed out it's illegal? 

Bah!

Also: Caleb continuing to pursue Sam when she's flat-out said she's not interested is beginning to get creepy, and if he keeps it up, it's tme to call in (non-existent) HR.

So now EVERYONE is morally shifty and knows secrets? I'm about ready to bail.

• Love 1

This show really doesn't know what it wants to be. Family drama? Office romance drama? Procedural? Medical mystery? But darn it if I'm not intrigued by whatever mystery Sam's parents are hiding.

Really appreciated they toned down Griff this week (compared to the total sociopath he was last episode) and showed him being an encouraging mentor when Lex was stressing over the surgery. Buuuut then they ruined it by reminding us he and Lex used to be an item and it all just became icky.

Sam is dumb. They stay on this track she's going to need to take out a restraining order against Caleb. 

Question: what kind of hospital is this? Why is the Cardiothoracic surgery team also the Emergency Department staff?

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Silver-hyren said:

Question: what kind of hospital is this? Why is the Cardiothoracic surgery team also the Emergency Department staff?

I had the same question, but I've learned from watching multiple medical shows (The Resident, Chicago Med, New Amsterdam, The Good Doctor, and now this one) all sense of logic and intelligence goes out the proverbial window. 

I always thought there were consultants/experts hired by show-runners to avoid such nonsense, but I guess that was just my naivete.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, kwnyc said:

So now EVERYONE is morally shifty and knows secrets?

This hospital is a snake pit.  I'm reminded of a comment a firefighter friend of mine made one time about a less than ideal hospital in his town.  He claimed he would get a Medic Alert bracelet that said "I will sue any ambulance company that takes me to 'such and such' hospital."

• LOL 2
On 1/26/2022 at 11:26 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Sad thing? The very first thought I had was that Sam's mom cheated on Griff and Sam isn't his kid. 

Hah.  Would that justify him still feeling guilty over her childhood accident, but expressing that in a way designed to make her unemployable anywhere after he's done making sure he gets his job back?

On 1/27/2022 at 8:29 PM, Silver-hyren said:

It's the need for drama for the show's regulars and maybe trying to save  money on actors.  Unless a show is set in the ER (like ER or Transplant) people are going to end up doing jobs they have no business doing. The worst case I've seen was the Grey's Anatomy pilot where the incoming surgical interns were charged with keeping preemie babies alive as if there was no paediatric department in the hospital much less a neonatologist.

Although I'm wondering if this show has a medical advisor at all. There is no such thing as being unable to contact the patients in a drug study.  Even in a double blind study, where neither doctor nor patient knows which drug it is, there is a list in a locked filing cabinet with names and addresses.

The excuse to keep the real data hidden and continue with the charade for the sake of the three people who were adversely affected "because all they got out of it was the money" is particularly awful. The reason these results need to be reported is because when the drug goes on the market, other people will experience those side effects and it could be very dangerous for them. The FDA isn't necessarily going to take the drug off the market but it will come with warnings.  Sam agreeing to continue to hide the dangers in exchange for a bigger donation takes her down to Griff's level.

Every time Griff says "I didn't start this war", I want him kicked out of the hospital. It isn't a war, it's Griff needing to step back after an injury, prove that he's capable again, and compete for his former job. That he thinks that it is a  no-holds-barred war and his daughter is the enemy is very distasteful  All three of them, Griff, Sam and mom, are unrootable for.

I could absolutely be wrong, but I saw the patients freaking out about Sam contacting them is because I thought they signed a non-disclosure agreement when the hospital gave them hush money, which Griff said the money given was enough to let them live the rest of their lives in ease.

Or did I mishear that? It's been several days, so I don't exactly remember how he put it. But, if this is the case of the patients (and I think Griff said three patients with these side effects) were contacted by Sam, I can see them freaking out because they're thinking that the hush money would go away, even if they didn't disclose anything.

That's my understanding of it. I could have misheard or misunderstood.

35 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

But, if this is the case of the patients (and I think Griff said three patients with these side effects) were contacted by Sam, I can see them freaking out because they're thinking that the hush money would go away, even if they didn't disclose anythin.

That's what I got too, that they were afraid that they would lose the money.

But it doesn't make what Griff or Sam did ethical. Or right.

I am strictly hatewatching this now. None of the main characters are even remotely relatable, either on a professional or personal level.

The medical consultant (if there even is one) should be fired or have his credentials re-examined.

And next week is a flashback episode. Yay.

• Love 1
On 1/26/2022 at 11:29 PM, preeya said:

My thoughts exactly.  It is most likely something with her birthright.

My initial thought was that Sam had been adopted - perhaps via some former patient at the hospital - and the paperwork was there.

Not that it's impossible, but IMO it would be rather improbable, given Griff and Vivian's ages versus Sam's, that they would have had a child right when they were both simultaneously going through med school, residency, etc. They both seem like real go-getters, that combined with starting a hospital. Had there been an "oops", I could definitely see them getting an abortion, especially with Griff pushing the issue.

• Love 1