Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: A Hawk from a Handsaw

Anela
  • Start Topic

Thank you for posting this!  Here is the episode description:

Twenty years later, Kirsten and her Shakespearean troupe, the Traveling Symphony, meet a mysterious man on their way to perform at St. Deborah-by-the-Water.

I didn't understand the ending of this episode. Maybe I missed something, or maybe we'll understand more later. 

Meanwhile, what a relief to finally see a post apocalyptic show that while gritty, isn't a horror movie. No zombies or mass murder, but Shakespeare! Swimming! Singing! People actually being nice to each other. 

I know things are going to get dark on the show at times, but at least it acknowledges that even under the worst conditions, there's a good and beautiful side to humanity, something that's almost always missing from these shows. 

• Love 12

Trying to figure out the connection to the man Kirsten stabs. He knew something about the book and quoted it. Plus the emissary from the other town had a scar of the half moon or semi circle that she found hanging from a sign in the woods and that is on the books cover. 

Please start commenting people so I don’t have to go to Reddit! 😄

• LOL 9
9 hours ago, Maire said:

Please start commenting people so I don’t have to go to Reddit! 😄

I find it difficult to comment without referencing the book, which is against forum rules. 

What I can say is that I think the show is really well-done. It's great to see that there's a certain sense of normalcy and even joy, as @Melina22 said, but I'm also sensing a constant underlying terror, like things could turn lethal at the drop of a hat. Kirsten seems to always be on guard.

I think the "present" Year 20 scenes interspersed with scenes from the past are also done very well.

• Love 5

I just started watching tonight.  I like it so far.  I’m wanting to see more of the years after they left the apartment….to go to the lake.  I wonder if we will.  Also, I’m curious as to what’s happening in the rest of the world.  I want to know the scale of the destruction. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I didn't understand the ending of this episode. Maybe I missed something, or maybe we'll understand more later. 

Meanwhile, what a relief to finally see a post apocalyptic show that while gritty, isn't a horror movie. No zombies or mass murder, but Shakespeare! Swimming! Singing! People actually being nice to each other. 

I know things are going to get dark on the show at times, but at least it acknowledges that even under the worst conditions, there's a good and beautiful side to humanity, something that's almost always missing from these shows. 

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I find it difficult to comment without referencing the book, which is against forum rules. 

What I can say is that I think the show is really well-done. It's great to see that there's a certain sense of normalcy and even joy, as @Melina22 said, but I'm also sensing a constant underlying terror, like things could turn lethal at the drop of a hat. Kirsten seems to always be on guard.

I think the "present" Year 20 scenes interspersed with scenes from the past are also done very well.

I understand wanting to be different from other post-apocalyptic shows and movies but they're only showing one aspect of societies or as one character called it, "tribes" that people split into.

Presumably it would be a survival strategy, where people could share resources and tasks.

Finding food and supplies must not be a big issue?  For instance, plenty of fuel to burn those torches so that they could put on plays and concerts? Are they bartering their services for other goods and services?  They sang a song about not being able to drive or ride motorcycles so fuel does seem to be scarce, though if most of humanity died, there are probably enough out there.

The bald guy came to invite the Traveling Symphony to their little tribe, the Museum of Civilization.  But it doesn't sound like they wanted to leave and the place where they're settled is called the "Wheel" so maybe referring to the terrain, which seemed to be have a lot of water, maybe all surrounded by water so it's easier to defend?

But the other two, who wanted to see the show, giving details which made Kirsten suspicious, are strangers who just wanted to see the show?  Again, no exchange of services?  But the one guy said they WILL join Traveling Symphony before Kirsten stabbed him.

If there are any hostilities between different tribes, it might be due to competition for scarce resources.  Within a tribe, there are a few leaders and they have the last word so he or she are equitable on who gets what?  The one guy wanted to audition to join the TS and it appeared a lot of the TS members were enthusiastic about it but then it took Dieter to give the okay.

But it's kind of a weird setup.  Kirsten is the star of the performances, apparently has some draw to outside groups.  But she's head of security or has a big role in security?  How do the rest of the TS feel about her stabbing people?  She must have saved the TS from hostile people on more than one occasion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The Wheel is the Traveling Symphony’s route. it’s a big circle. The pregnant performer didn’t want to be on the road with a newborn.

I liked how they flip back and forth on the timeline, maybe Kirsten remembers that event to help her portray Hamlet in that scene. It was very effective.

Kirsten believes she has the only copy of the book written by Miranda so that’s why she is suspicious of the creepy dude.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I like it, a lot. I was really intrigued by how they handled the concept of memory. The guy auditioning for the symphony looked old enough to remember the movie Independence Day, he heard his performance through a bullhorn, just like the movie. Parliament turns into one guy playing a baritone. The actors playing young Kirsten and present Kirsten were great in their juxtaposition during Hamlet.

1 hour ago, aghst said:

Finding food and supplies must not be a big issue?

I'm not sure the show is meant to be taken that literally. It's more about who has survived over how. From what I have seen so far, I think the story is compelling enough that I don't worry that much about realism. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, xaxat said:

I'm not sure the show is meant to be taken that literally. It's more about who has survived over how. From what I have seen so far, I think the story is compelling enough that I don't worry that much about realism. 

Sure they don't have to delve into logistics.

But they'd have to prioritize securing the basic necessities before putting on shows.

Food and other supplies they have to have.  Shakespeare performances?  Not so much.

Again why did they end up in these different groups?  Did all the people who were performers gravitate to the TS while maybe the science nerds formed their own tribe.

It's interesting that there is some demand for live Shakespeare performances.  But apparently they put them on for free so why not?  Some Shakespeare snobs might try to find some film adaptations somewhere, unless there's no power at all anywhere.

Or, any kind of entertainment.  After you see the live plays a few times, some people might look for some other entertainment, just to see something different.  Kirsten was describing ride sharing apps on phones which could store all the plays to Alex, who is born after the end of civilization.  If they came across people with access to old media, it might blow some minds.

But this is a limited series so it's probably not going to touch on those possibilities or details.

I think this scene was from episode two…..when Kirstin was screaming and the showed the text on her phone, it said that the owner of the phone was dead and at the morgue.  Presumably, that was her father, but what about her mother?  Didn’t she refer to her parents the night Arthur died?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think this scene was from episodes two…..when Kirstin was screaming and the showed the text on her phone, it said that the owner of the phone was dead and at the morgue.  Presumably, that was her father, but what about her mother?  Didn’t she refer to her parents the night Arthur died?

Her phone lit up with texts from both "Mom" and "Dad" while it was charging, so both of them must have died.

20 hours ago, aghst said:

But they'd have to prioritize securing the basic necessities before putting on shows.

I think by Year 20 most of those who had survived that long had figured out how to secure basic necessities. Also, there is historical precedent for people clinging to art and entertainment during the darkest of times. For example, people held in Nazi concentration camps would stage plays and other events despite the risks of punishment.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

I was looking for something to watch after the Expanse recently ended.

The first episode was great.  Then in this episode Kirsten turns out to be McKenzie Davis.  I was really worried because to my mind her face seems to be stuck in "worry mode."  Google pictures of her.  Nor does she smile much.

Oh my gawd she is soooo good in this.  This show is great so far.