Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E23: Live Semi-Final Top 8 Performances

• Start Topic

omg I thought today was Sunday and missed half the episode!

Joshua Vacanti is talented, but his song choice sucked and I couldn't wait for it to end.

Girl Named Tom with Hailey was meh. Hailey in comparison is a better singer, such a clear tone and she was dead-on key each time. The boys were off a lot, it was cringey, and the gal was all over the place. (I'm so sorry, I don't know their names!) I was disappointed in the arrangement; there was too much in unison singing when they could've done some amazing 4 part harmonies that would have really shone.

Is it just me? There's a lot of just missing the notes from so many of them, and the sound quality is still really bad. They need to change the sound staff or something, because it's not translating well through the tv like previous seasons.

Y'all know I adore Paris, but even his song choice was blah. It didn't really showcase his range and the little soulful growls and embellishments he does. The sax player was awesome though!

I am disappointed with today's show, at least the half I caught lol.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I’m over Jim and Sasha.I don’t think they are strong enough vocally to go forward.

I expected them to do really well on "Mrs. Robinson", but something was missing.  It was like they were two Garfunkels with no Simon or vice-versa.  It's too bad that Ariana didn't have them do Cat Steven's "Father and Son." A lost opportunity there.  I'm of the opinion that groups shouldn't be allowed as it's not fair to compare harmonies to single voices, but clearly the TPTB don't feel the same.

Both last week and this week, Wendy's interactions have seemed off.  Her voice is still incredible, but when talking and in the beginning of her duet with Paris, she seemed to be staring straight ahead, almost as if she were reading a teleprompter.  I wonder if she's been on pain killers since the accident, or maybe she was always like that and I didn't notice?

John is normally a stylish dresser, but that sweater was hideous and should be burned immediately.  I'd think it was supposed to be an ugly holiday sweater, but there was nothing "holiday" about  it.

Edited by leocadia
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, leocadia said:

I expected them to do really well on "Mrs. Robinson", but something was missing.  It was like they were two Garfunkels with no Simon or vice-versa.  It's too bad that Ariana didn't have them do Cat Steven's "Father and Son." A lost opportunity there.  I'm of the opinion that groups shouldn't be allowed as it's not fair to compare harmonies to single voices, but clearly the TPTB don't feel the same.

Both last week and this week, Wendy's interactions have seemed off.  Her voice is still incredible, but when talking and in the beginning of her duet with Paris, she seemed to be starting straight ahead, almost as if she were reading a teleprompter.  I wonder if she's been on pain killers since the accident, or maybe she was always like that and I didn't notice?

John is normally a stylish dresser, but that sweater was hideous and should be burned immediately.  I'd think it was supposed to be an ugly holiday sweater, but there was nothing "holiday" about  it.

thought the same thing about Wendy. She just looked off.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, leocadia said:

I was watching the show again today while I was doing holiday cards. That sweater is completely fugly. I found myself wondering about the sanity of the people who designed it, knit it, marketed it and yes, wore it. 

• LOL 2

How did Jim and Sasha make it this far in the competition?!!

Their singing is awful. They're not even likable. Are people pity voting because of transgender support? 

If they win it's not because of talent. It's because people want Ariana to win.

Worst contestants in the shows history!

I watched tonight and I loved Jershika (sp?) tonight. I've come to really love her voice and she is now my favorite.  I have never cared for the trio or duo. I also feel like its not fair to have them compete against solo singers, and they never end up as my favorite.  I was also not a fan of Joshua's singing tonight. 

• Love 2

Joshua is undoubtedly talented but I can't get past the whole PERFORMING thing he does every single time.   He'd probably be great on Broadway or in some other theatre but he's just too over-the-top for my taste.

Wendy and Paris had a nice duet but some of the others fell sort of flat to me.

• Love 1

I'm getting tired of how, according to the judges,  every singer is incredible,  every performance is the best ever, every singer will be in the finale, and nobody  ever deserves to be in the bottom 3.  When the judges say they can't believe a singer was in the bottom, it isn't genuine because you know they would say the same thing no matter who it was.

They don't need to go to Simon Cowell level nastiness, but maybe some genuine critique would be nice. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I'm getting tired of how, according to the judges,  every singer is incredible,  every performance is the best ever, every singer will be in the finale, and nobody  ever deserves to be in the bottom 3.  When the judges say they can't believe a singer was in the bottom, it isn't genuine because you know they would say the same thing no matter who it was.

They don't need to go to Simon Cowell level nastiness, but maybe some genuine critique would be nice. 

Yes, when they say "It seems like your nerves got the better of you tonight" that's pretty much code for "you were WILDLY off-key" so yes, there are ways of saying things that are genuine critiques that aren't mean.   As an example, when they kept telling Joshua that he REALLY should do musical theatre, I actually thought that they were nicely telling him that he was overperforming.   And someone has to be in the bottom 3 so maybe they could even say something along the lines of "maybe you didn't choose the best song for your voice, range, style etc. so, while you did a good job with it, it just didn't resonate with the audience."