Type keyword(s) to search

Tales: Promised Land in the Media

• Start Topic

I'm wondering if the ratings were low because the majority of network TV viewers aren't interested in reliving the 80s glory days of Dallas/Dynasty/Falcon Crest/Knot's Landing nighttime soaps.  The younger generations seem to love the reality shows, most of which is just trash TV.  More's the pity that the Latino characters get cancelled out before they really got started.  Pitting this new telenovela for Americans against the Olympics was not a smart move either.

Since I only watch on Hulu I'll finish out the series.  Can't wait for the cliffhanger!  😞

• Love 5
8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Since I only watch on Hulu I'll finish out the series.  Can't wait for the cliffhanger!  😞

I don't have Hulu, so I'm not going to watch Monday's episode.  I wish ABC would finish out the season. What are they going to show, longer episodes of The Bacherlor?  Another game show?  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I don't have Hulu, so I'm not going to watch Monday's episode.  I wish ABC would finish out the season. What are they going to show, longer episodes of The Bacherlor?  Another game show?  

They're bring back The Good Doctor early,

53 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

They're bring back The Good Doctor early,

Thanks for letting me know.   I know some people who will be happy about that because they love the show. 

Edited by Lisa418722

No shocks here but Promised Land is officially cancelled.   

I watched the whole thing on Hulu there was lots of material for a second season but I also don't hate were it wrapped up.  

Still, sad it never found an audience.  

• Useful 1
On 5/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, bybrandy said:

No shocks here but Promised Land is officially cancelled.   

I watched the whole thing on Hulu there was lots of material for a second season but I also don't hate were it wrapped up.  

Still, sad it never found an audience.  

It became too soap opera for me.  The actress who played Lettie looked like she just came off the set of a telenovela and the actress who played Margaret would have fit right in on Dallas and the other circa 80's nighttime soaps.  I liked the idea of a Hispanic/Mexican family making it in America though.  The winery stuff was interesting and I wish I could have learned more about life on the vineyard and the business aspect to marketing and selling wines.  I like the Spanish/Mexican culture aspect.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

It became too soap opera for me. 

It was always supposed to be a soap.  It was from the first episode. Love triangles.  Hidden identities.  Presumed dead characters.  Intertwined lives.  Secrets. 

I think it was like Falcon Crest for the new milennium.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

It was billed on IMDb as "An epic, generation-spanning drama about two Latino families vying for wealth and power in California's Sonoma Valley."  And Wikipedia says it's "an American family drama television series that premiered on January 24, 2022 on ABC. The story focuses on Joe Sandoval, patriarch of two blended Latino families . . . ."  Variety's article on the show is entitled "ABC’s ‘Promised Land’ Combines Smart Family Drama With (Too) Many Soap Twists: TV Review."

I was expecting more This Is Us family drama rather than Falcon Crest.  I did watch it until the end, but as I mentioned, the lead actresses came off as soap opera actresses to me.