Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
chocolatine

The Shrink Next Door

Starring Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, and Kathryn Hahn; the first three episodes dropped on Apple TV+ this week. It's not the best show ever, but I'm intrigued to see where it's going. Definitely looks like Ike will scam Marty out of all his money and possessions. The Hamptons house that was Ike's in the 2010 flash-forward is the same house that Marty's parents left to him.

I'm a little confused about Marty's family's finances. At first it looked like he inherited a small textile business from his parents and is struggling to keep it profitable. His NYC apartment is pretty modest, and so is his sister's - they don't seem like rich people. (I know today even "modest" NYC apartments cost millions, but I think they were much more affordable in the 80s.) Then we hear that there's a trust fund for emergencies, which means there's some family money, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a huge amount. But then Phyllis breaks into Marty's safe and Marty tells Ike that she stole $500k worth of jewelry, plus that there are two Swiss bank accounts and the Hamptons house. Something doesn't add up there - even if the textile business was more successful when Marty's parents were alive, it probably wouldn't have generated that much profit. I wonder if there's going to be a twist that Marty is scamming Ike, not the other way around. He volunteered all of that information to Ike too quickly. Rich people are usually very private about their finances.

Either way, I hope there's some kind of twist at the end and it's not a predictable scam plot.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

It took me to episode 3 to get into it and now I can’t wait to see where this goes. Rudd is playing this perfectly as he actually is helping Marty but with such a subtle evil undertone. Wasn’t sure I would like this but I’m intrigued now how we get to that opening scene where obviously the doctor has taken over the hamptons house and Marty has gone a bit insane. 

• Like 3

I had questions while I was watching Episode 3 but I think they were answered by the end of it.

I think that they could have shrunk down (haha) these episodes into 1 movie.  The first two episodes had a lot of filler, or maybe I'm just not good at paying attention.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm having trouble understand what's going on with the money.

Phyllis asks Marty for money, yet she calls it "her" money?  Yet Marty says no to her?

I don't understand any of that.  Can someone explain?  Is Marty controlling their parents' inheritance I guess?

I'm not 100% sure I understand it correctly either, but it seems like the money is in a trust of which both Marty and Phyllis are beneficiaries, and Marty is also the trustee - but Phyllis isn't. Hence he has to approve any withdrawals she wants to make, but not vice versa. There was a mention of Phyllis having had multiple failed business ventures and that their late father favored Marty. He probably didn't trust Phyllis to manage her share of the money, hence this arrangement. That kind of thing is common when one of the beneficiaries is a minor, an addict, or mentally disabled, but not so much when all beneficiaries are healthy and able adults.

It was also mentioned that Marty had bought out Phyllis's share of the Hamptons house, so originally their parents had left it to both of them. I wonder why the jewelry valued at $500k ($1.35M in today's money) was just sitting in Marty's home safe though, unless he bought out Phyllis's share of that, too. If it belonged to both of them, it should have been in a bank safe and only released to anyone with both of their permissions.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Wow, ok, that actually clears up a lot that I didn't catch.  This is the problem with me watching stuff while I work.

I listened to the podcast a while ago, and have been really looking forward to watching this. I've seen the first three episodes and so far I really like it. 

Paul Rudd is doing a great job of conveying how a person could charm his way into other people's heads and lives. It's distressing to watch him deliberately coming between the brother and sister, since I know from experience that this is exactly how manipulative people operate. 

The scene of them watching Jesus Christ Superstar was terrifying and hilarious. So many candles! So many torches! 😁

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

This is hard for me to watch.  I don't think people are going to enjoy Will getting scammed of all his money, or at least I'm not.  I like him too much and it's hard for me to separate.  Also I think he just knows how to be very sympathetic here.  

Also, why do all the men have to be with much younger women?  Christina Vidal?  I still see her as the kid in "Life with Mikey".  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

Ugh. I want to like this so much, but I just can stand watching Will Ferrell get scammed (which I’m certain where this is headed). Just starting epi 4 and I had to stop. 

• Like 2

This is the first thing I've seen Paul Rudd in, that ever made me hate him.  And Will Ferrell a little bit, too.  I keep wanting to yell at him, "Get a clue and a spine about SOMETHING!!"

• Like 2

Having heard the podcast, I'm trying not to spoil anything. For me, a big part of enjoying this story is knowing it really happened and trying to figure out why. 

I'm wondering if those of you who aren't enjoying it  maybe got thrown off by the casting, and expected something funnier and less dark. 

Personally, I found the end of the story satisfying, and hope others will too. Even knowing the ending, I'm definitely going to watch till the end. But I'm such a binge-watcher. I hate the wait between episodes. 

Edited by Melina22

I'm not enjoying this at all.  I don't know if I can make it through.  I wonder if it's 8 episodes or 10.

The acting is obviously good though, because I cannot bear the story.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4

The hardest part for me is not Ike scamming Marty out of his money, but manipulating him emotionally about his attachment to his childhood and late parents. No parent-child relationships are perfect, but Marty obviously loved his parents very much, and Ike trying to sully that is the most unforgivable thing to me.

On 11/15/2021 at 7:29 AM, sadie said:

Rudd is playing this perfectly as he actually is helping Marty but with such a subtle evil undertone.

That to me gets at the greatest thing about the show. There are no villains! Dr. Ike is incredibly manipulative and exploitive--but he is actually helping Marty!!! We can see the difference in Marty, and it's no illusion. As for what's driving Dr. Ike, of course he enjoys the ways he's benefitting from the relationship, but I honestly believe that he honestly believes he's doing what's right for his patient!! (He believes this for reasons having to do with the way he's effed-up, but then who isn't?) Dr. Ike's main problem may not be evil motivation, but that, as his wife has said to him, he has a tendency to "take things too far."

In short: It's complicated.

Edited by Milburn Stone