Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: A Dishwasher, a Fire and a Remote Control

jewel21
  • Start Topic

I thought this episode was weak.

"Pushover character is incapable of firing someone who obviously deserves it" is one of my least favorite tropes to begin with. And then she re-hires him at the end? I didn't find that sweet at all, just stupid.

I really don't care about what happens to Drew, either.

• Love 5

I liked it when Drew told off his client.  
His inability to find anyone to talk to is not funny, surely he’d have some friend, if not a therapist of his own.                                         I wonder why he decided to sell his house.
I liked Jerry and the Jane Seymour character’s late night talks. 
rehiring the inept cook is not really funny, and very unrealistic given how important food quality would be to the residents.
this episode had about the right amount of Linda Lavin for me.  Still not enough Kether Donohue.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, CattyK said:

I wonder why he decided to sell his house.
and
rehiring the inept cook is not really funny, and very unrealistic given how important food quality would be to the residents.

I'm hoping Drew is selling the house and moving far, far away. Maybe to Europe to be with previous GF, forever! Daughter can stay with mom. If life is so terrible, give the kidney to someone else. Like Jerry.

None of the food the chef was cooking was really appropriate for Seniors. People develop all sorts of intolerances and dietary restrictions (salts, fats, sugars, etc.) as they age. It didn't seem they were tailoring any of their meals to any of them. And did I see caramel apples in the background? Yeah, good luck with those and aging teeth! Hah. As well-meaning as Gina is, she's pretty incompetent as an administrator. Needs to take some classes,  and maybe learn how to run the facility? Doomed.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

If life is so terrible, give the kidney to someone else. Like Jerry.

Ha!  Great comment! 

I agree with everything you said about the food.  The facility would be out of compliance with all kinds of regulations as well.  Gina standing in the hall yelling at the two men to be quiet was another example of behavior that wouldn’t fly asan admin.  

I may have commented this before, but I thought season one was sadly unrealistic in the area of food….often people with kidney disease have to make a LOT of diet changes.  I recall in one episode drew said he was going to eat healthy and bought kombucha or something, which is not the kind of mods he’d be making in reality.

Edited by CattyK
  • Love 4

The facility would be out of compliance with all kinds of regulations as well.

Speaking of which, where did Bette get vodka? Surely the facility doesn't allow alcohol on the premises. Still, it's nice to see Jane Seymour doing comedy, even when it's sort of bittersweet. I knew where it was going the minute she said her son was building a guest room for her.

I thought maybe Drew would take over as chef since he's looking for a big life change (although we've never seen any evidence he can cook). I really don't see how he's relevant anymore unless they find a way to work him into the senior center. 

I got the biggest laugh out of Peter kissing Spencer on the mouth to make him go away.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Speaking of which, where did Bette get vodka? Surely the facility doesn't allow alcohol on the premises.

There are no restrictions on bringing alcohol into an assisted living facility. Last year we saw Gina selling her home made beer there.

In the nursing home I worked at in the '70s,  we had one woman whose family brought in seven airplane-sized bottles of whiskey every week for her. At bedtime, we would fix her a highball and save the bottle, so her family could refill it. I wasn't old enough to even be in a liquor store yet, but I was playing bartender every night!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2021 at 11:55 PM, CattyK said:

Ha!  Great comment! 

I agree with everything you said about the food.  The facility would be out of compliance with all kinds of regulations as well.  Gina standing in the hall yelling at the two men to be quiet was another example of behavior that wouldn’t fly asan admin.  

I may have commented this before, but I thought season one was sadly unrealistic in the area of food….often people with kidney disease have to make a LOT of diet changes.  I recall in one episode drew said he was going to eat healthy and bought kombucha or something, which is not the kind of mods he’d be making in reality.

And people who donate a kidney have massive restrictions for life. They are ignoring all of that.

On 11/18/2021 at 10:39 PM, CattyK said:

I liked it when Drew told off his client.  
His inability to find anyone to talk to is not funny, surely he’d have some friend, if not a therapist of his own.                                         I wonder why he decided to sell his house.
I liked Jerry and the Jane Seymour character’s late night talks. 
this episode had about the right amount of Linda Lavin for me.  Still not enough Kether Donohue.  

I thought it was mandatory that therapists have a therapist. You can't carry all that crap without getting a tune-up yourself.

• Love 3

Why is Jerry living there? Or is he just hanging out? 

And I hate Drew. I have hated him from the beginning. Based on his behaviors, it frightens me that he is a therapist. He is weirdly neurotic  and massively selfish and the most tactless therapist I have ever seen. I'm stubborn about quitting a show, so I am trying really hard to hang on to this one. But it isn't the show I signed on for. Everything that drew me in is gone. 

• Love 5

46 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Why is Jerry living there? Or is he just hanging out? 

He is there because he keeps collapsing and it's not safe for him to be alone. I am not sure if he is fainting, or just falling down, but it happened in the middle of him doing a dental procedure, and also when he was eating lunch or something, and in addition to the times we saw, apparently it was happening a lot. He's in kidney failure, so his body is in trouble. He keeps saying that once he gets his medication adjusted and things stabilize, he will go home again, but I'm not sure if that is going to happen.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

He is there because he keeps collapsing and it's not safe for him to be alone. I am not sure if he is fainting, or just falling down, but it happened in the middle of him doing a dental procedure, and also when he was eating lunch or something, and in addition to the times we saw, apparently it was happening a lot. He's in kidney failure, so his body is in trouble. He keeps saying that once he gets his medication adjusted and things stabilize, he will go home again, but I'm not sure if that is going to happen.

He has atrial fibrillation. Hopefully it can be controlled.

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I always assume atrial fibrillation is due to electrolyte imbalance, which could  be related to kidney disease. But I am not sure why I think that, and it might have no basis in fact.

People with chronic kidney disease are at higher risk for atrial fibrillation, and then the atrial fibrillation puts them at higher risk for end stage kidney failure.  Considering that his body already rejected a kidney, things don't look so great for Jerry. :-(

On 11/21/2021 at 12:10 PM, Your Aunt Tilly said:

People with chronic kidney disease are at higher risk for atrial fibrillation, and then the atrial fibrillation puts them at higher risk for end stage kidney failure.  Considering that his body already rejected a kidney, things don't look so great for Jerry. :-(

The only way to keep Jerry on the show is to make him sicker. No more dialysis scenes, so I doubt they will ever get his meds under control.

On 11/22/2021 at 11:34 AM, Chewy101 said:

The only way to keep Jerry on the show is to make him sicker. No more dialysis scenes, so I doubt they will ever get his meds under control.

Either that or he'll decide he likes retirement home living and wants to stay.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2021 at 10:46 AM, eel21788 said:

Either that or he'll decide he likes retirement home living and wants to stay.

Might not be a long stay.  CBS hasn't yet ordered the "back nine" episodes for Season Two.  I could see them ending the show, or ending this season with just 13 episodes and coming back again in 2022 (or later) since they want Annaleigh on their talent roster.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 11/29/2021 at 9:30 PM, SanDiegoInExile said:

Might not be a long stay.  CBS hasn't yet ordered the "back nine" episodes for Season Two.  I could see them ending the show, or ending this season with just 13 episodes and coming back again in 2022 (or later) since they want Annaleigh on their talent roster.  

If only 13 there would only be five episodes left after they get back from December break. The Futon Critic currently has airings scheduled through March 10. The new show How We Roll, formerly Smallwood, has been cut from 13 episodes to 11. That seems to be a good sign for B+. Now I don’t know when the new show will premiere. Likely after March Madness. But even if it takes B+’s time slot after March Madness, I think B+ might get more than 13. Not 22, but somewhere between 13 and 22. 

Edited by nelroy78
  • Useful 1