Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Storm Of Fuck

paigow
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, DrBriCa said:

I also think Harrison should have more of an accent after living most of this childhood in a Spanish-speaking country.

But wasn't he speaking English with no-accent Hannah?  Usually an accent comes with learning English from those who speak it with an accent.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

But wasn't he speaking English with no-accent Hannah?  Usually an accent comes with learning English from those who speak it with an accent.

Who knows... We know next to nothing about his time in Argentina other than that they had a goat. Since the preview suggests his school testing knowledge is advanced, I would think he went to school there while growing up and should be at least bilingual unless Hannah expertly home-schooled him. But anyway... he should be more curious about his brother, sister, and grandparents.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DrBriCa said:

But anyway... he should be more curious about his brother, sister, and grandparents.

All mention of Cody, Astor and their grandparents -  Paul's parents, not Rita's - were completely dropped from the original series and never mentioned again. It's like they never existed. Someone like Dexter, who never gave a shit what happened to his own  child, was fine with forgetting them. What does he care?

I'm sure Harrison is bilingual, and has very little memory of his half-brother and sister. I admit I'm a little curious as to how he got to the US and what he was doing before showing up at Daddy Dearest's little house in the woods.

20 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

All mention of Cody, Astor and their grandparents -  Paul's parents, not Rita's - were completely dropped from the original series and never mentioned again. It's like they never existed.

Astor & Cody did visit Dexter in Season 7. By that point, Astor was a more rebellious teenager who liked doing pot. But you're correct that by Season 8, they weren't around or mentioned anymore. Harrison might not remember them well, but it's just seems like a huge plot hole to have him go through foster care in Miami when he had grandparents (assuming they're still alive) in Orlando. I definitely agree that it'd be interesting to know how he even got back into the states and how he then bounced around from FL to the Pacific NW to upstate New York.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, DrBriCa said:

Astor & Cody did visit Dexter in Season 7

You're right - they did! I haven't reached that ep yet in my rewatch. Yeah, Deb shared the joint with Astor. It was all pretty sad. I don't think Astor was the person she would have been had her mother not been murdered, thanks to Dexter.

• Love 1

It also might matter what last name he was going by. He could've been going by Harrison McKay or Hannah could've had fake papers for them with a different last name. So the social workers wouldn't know to look for his grandparents. They could also have died. 

If they were Paul's parents, they had no biological relationship to Harrison at all. They might not have wanted him, even if they found out he was in Florida as an angry (presumably) teenager alone. They didn't take him when he was a cute baby and they took Astor and Cody, after all.

• Useful 1
On 11/14/2021 at 4:55 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Who is Iris to Angela? This name was mentioned twice in this episode. 

I had inferred she was a missing native girl, and the older sister, from the threads.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.  I'd thought that was more prevalent in the Pacific Northwest, particularly Canada, than upstate New York, but it is not very widely reported.  I don't really expect Dexter to be "ripped from the headlines". It's better being make-believe to me..

On 11/15/2021 at 11:26 AM, AngelaHunter said:

Or is this the way Dex thinks of Deb now, as a shrieking harpy? Killing her character once wasn't enough?

She's literally a Fury now.  I doubt this is a classical reference, though.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Which makes me wonder—when he first showed up, had he picked a lock at Dexter’s house or is this supposed to be the kind of small town where nobody locks their doors?

So, are we really sure it’s Harrison or someone pretending to be?  Dex would know right?  

On 11/16/2021 at 10:58 AM, paigow said:

Technically, the lock was not picked. He dislodged the plate that the lock was attached to with a knife that will inevitably be used in a subsequent murder of douchebag wrestling team members...

Yeah, I expected him to pull out a lockpicking kit.  It didn't look like a terribly complicated lock.  I guess we'll see if he's a murder too.  The dudebro vibes there have me wondering also.

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

If they were Paul's parents, they had no biological relationship to Harrison at all.

They didn't but he's half-brother to Cody and Astor. Poor grandparents had enough on their plates raising the other two at their ages. IIRC, Dexter wanted Harrison, so he could be a good father and told Deb, "I'm not giving up my son" when she rightly objected a child being raised by a serial killer. Having kiddies around interferes with moonlit hobbies, even when you have someone like Jamie there 24/7 to take care of him and whisk him off to grandparents when things got too hot.

2 hours ago, paigow said:

If Harrison is telling the truth, he was deported by Argentina back to Florida after Hannah died. He entered the foster family system but never got adopted.

We also don't know that they didn't reach out the grandparents, Astor and Cody and they all could've said no. So he was put in foster care. 

We don't know that anything Harrison is saying is true. He may not have even spent time in foster care!!!

I guess at some point I have to believe something that they present to us...

• LOL 1
On 11/17/2021 at 7:49 PM, Elizzikra said:

We don't know that anything Harrison is saying is true. He may not have even spent time in foster care!!!

Maybe some "other" foster care kid found "Harrison's" letter, stole it...and decided to find Harrison's father and begin a new life.

If not another foster kid...maybe another runaway at a bus station or "juvie."  We've GOT to do something to make this show palatable.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 11/14/2021 at 1:55 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

There’s something shady about Harrison. There’s more to his drug use history and his ability to open a locked door with a pocket knife. Did Hannah really died of cancer or did Harrison kill her? He spent some times in Miami, so he must have heard something about Dexter Morgan. Did a bowling photo really lead him to Jim Lindsay?

Well if she died of cancer then she had months to make arrangements for Harrison to remain in Argentina.  She must have known people.  Have another family take him in, set up a trust fund.  Or fess up that his dad was alive and send him to live with Dexter.  It doesn't add up that she would die with no plan for Harrison and he would be an orphan to be shipped back to the States and bounced around in foster care.

Edited by Dobian
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
On 11/15/2021 at 11:22 AM, CarpeFelis said:

atching the girl in the motel room, I could swear it was Clancy Brown’s.

Totally his eye. It was weird that I recognized his eye. 😂 

You know I was just watching and I'm going to take a Wild Guess that New Blood is Harrison

Edited by Morrigan2575
On 11/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, Bulldog said:

Would killing a deer, even on protected land, really be a big enough offense to make a person immediately go on the run and leave town?  Especially an entitled prick like Caldwell. 

Not really....

So I grew up near the Seneca Army Depot in upstate New York. First, the Seneca tribe doesn't have a reservation near where the white deer are (although it was probably their land originally). Second, the white deer herd was protected because when the base was fenced, they were basically caught and confined which is why the herd with the mutation grew. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_white_deer

On base, it was forbidden to shoot them and civilians were NOT allowed on the base. If a white deer did get spotted off site, it was kind of a big deal and a bit of a social pariah thing if you killed it but it wasn't against the law if you had a hunting license and it was deer season. But while the base was active, what would get you arrested was simply going over the fence as the place was rumored to be a storage site for nukes. 

• Useful 1