Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E05: Bottle Up and Explode!

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 11/11/2021 at 10:11 PM, KaveDweller said:

But Bailey has a point that taking in a 17-year-old is very different than taking in a toddler. One of those things needs a lot more attention.

True. But as the saying goes, small children spoil your sleep, older children spoil your life. I think it could be easier adopting a 2 year old than a 17 year old with issues.

On 11/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

Minnesota storyline is so dull. I mean who doesn't want to watch supposedly super surgeons stand around and inject stuff and try to come up with new exciting way to inject things. I guess that's how research medicine works. Not.

Like actual therapy, research is very boring. And so are these scenes. Have they run out of stories for Meredith in season 18, or are they test driving what the show would be like without Ellen.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:33 AM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, I don't want to see a of custody fight just because Ben made some kind of pinky promise. Or see Bailey going to pieces over a little girl she barely knows. (And again, unless there's official paperwork filed somewhere and they can pull it out that day, I doubt they'd even get to take her home for the night.)

I don't watch Station 19 a lot (it's mostly living wallpaper when I tune it) but I think that it was in more than one episode and Dean put time into considering who would look after her. Since he was the only competent person on that show, I wouldn't be surprised if there was official paperwork.

One of the biggest problems with the idea of Amelia going into a relationship with Kai is that she was in a very popular relationship with Linc and it feels like the writers are just doing this for the shock value rather than because it's something that Amelia would do. That's addict behaviour, to jump into something new and exciting because the old wasn't working out. I hoped that she had got beyond that.

18 hours ago, madmax said:

But I 100% agree with the bolded above.  It is not a choice and they seem to show that with nearly all of their female characters.  Arizona is the only one I remember that didn't bounce from guy to gal.

It felt to me like Amelia's crush on Carina was more in the idea of she was having problems with the man in her life and wanted to try something different rather than she was seriously bisexual. i hate the trope that a woman starts having lesbian relationships because  her relationships with men don't work out. It's harmful to promote the idea that sexual orientation is a choice.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 11/12/2021 at 9:00 AM, DEL901 said:

I thought glasses was on the verge of flirting with the grieving fireman.   On the plus side, they could then get rid of ortho guy.  And maybe glasses could move over to Station 19.  

Noooooo!  I do not want to see Glasses on Station 19 because I watch that show more than I do Grey's now.   Just kill him off on Grey's.  Although it did look like he was flirting with the fireman who's in a relationship and I don't want them to break up, especially over Glasses.  

Oh, and please, PLEASE send Carina back to Grey's for good.  I'm sick of her ruining Station 19.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 2
On 11/12/2021 at 9:00 AM, DEL901 said:

I thought glasses was on the verge of flirting with the grieving fireman.   On the plus side, they could then get rid of ortho guy.  And maybe glasses could move over to Station 19.  

I got the same vibe. It seemed like he was considering touching his hand or putting his arm around him, but stopped. Good idea, getting Glasses to move to Station 19!

2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Noooooo!  I do not want to see Glasses on Station 19 because I watch that show more than I do Grey's now.   Just kill him off on Grey's.  Although it did look like he was flirting with the fireman who's in a relationship and I don't want them to break up, especially over Glasses.  

Oh, and please, PLEASE send Carina back to Grey's for good.  I'm sick of her ruining Station 19.

Maybe Carina and Glasses could move to another spinoff. Though who would watch that???

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I love how they remember once in a blue moon, Owen has PTSD and is a jerk.

Koracik is BACK.  I missed him.

Meredith and Ben Covington lame sexting....

So I am guessing when McWidow asks out Megan Hunt, his son's panic attacks will be forgotten

So Jo is blonde permanently?

• Love 4
On 11/11/2021 at 10:23 PM, statsgirl said:

Travis: We need to tell Vic right away that Dean's died.  [Me: Don't! she's just been electrocuted, don't shock her with this! ] Bailey takes Travis to tell her, Vic's heart stops.

Only one person is allowed to be a visitor in CCU. Why are all three of them sitting at Vic's bedsie all night?

Speaking of extra privileges, I hate when someone entitled pulls rank. No other parent would have been allowed to sit in on Farouk's surgery and Meghan just walked in there and sat down like it was her right.

Probably another reason why Ben didn't tell her, she's not the most reasonable person reacting to a surprise.

I'm not surprised that Megan insisted on holding Farouk's hand during surgery. Yes it seems wildly inappropriate, but I worked in a Peds ER and witnessed doctors being just that insistent in the middle of a trauma when it was their own kid.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:06 AM, Laurie4H said:

So now Amelia is interested in a woman? Or is she not a woman since the actress is a they?  I’m open minded but I feel like it’s forced for some political agenda.  Did Amelia ever have an interest in anyone other than men before?  It’s really not as common as this show makes it.  Just like with Teddy, we find out she had a relationship with a woman.  And several other story lines where people just switch it up. 
Jo’s reference of the Partridge Family was  odd.   Maybe 15, 20 years ago it would still be nostalgic but it seems like most of the old shows are almost forgotten with the thousands of options we have now.  

On 11/12/2021 at 9:53 AM, Laurie4H said:

But was it mentioned she was non binary?  She looks like a woman so Amelia probably looks at her like she is a woman.  Unless I missed something.  

I sensed immediately that the actor was non binary.  Since Kai is fairly well established in the medical community, I assume Amelia would know they are non binary.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, iMonrey said:

I did not catch that. And I'm willing to bet a lot of the audience didn't notice either.

And they have never done that with a male character who is introduced as straight. I guess that's because this show is basically aimed at women like most soaps so the male characters are all fantasy figures and they're not interested in showing their male characters as equally fluid.

As was mentioned Levi slept with Jo. When he and Nico got together he admitted he didn't realize he was gay until Nico kissed him. I will concede, however that the show tends to write more female presenting characters who are gender fluid than male presenting one.

As for the episode:

The entire Minnesota storyline is a big snoozefest. I do not care one bit about the romance of Meredith and Dr. Marsh. Not even slightly interested in Amelia & Kai hooking up. The most interesting bit of that story arc was Koracick showing up. I almost feel like they are testing the waters for a Grey's spin off.

I watch and like Station 19 and even I'm sick of the many crossovers. 

Speaking of which, I find it a bit unbelievable that Miller, knowing how his parents are, meeting JJ's equally pushy parents, being a former finance guy, having had conversations with Pruitt & the old head gang and being told to write up a will/make a plan for Pru AND having 2 separate conversations with Ben, would not have put something in writing about Pru's future.  Miranda & Ben springing kids on each other is their love language. I don't care if Ben didn't talk to her.

I just want Grey's to focus on Greys. Give the new residents some actual storylines. Make them fully fleshed out characters instead of punch lines so we actually care about them. Give Nico an actual storyline instead of him being Levi's meat stick. 

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, Milaxx said:

Speaking of which, I find it a bit unbelievable that Miller, knowing how his parents are, meeting JJ's equally pushy parents, being a former finance guy, having had conversations with Pruitt & the old head gang and being told to write up a will/make a plan for Pru AND having 2 separate conversations with Ben, would not have put something in writing about Pru's future.  Miranda & Ben springing kids on each other is their love language. I don't care if Ben didn't talk to her.

I don't want Station 19, and I think this is going to play out on that show instead of Grey's, but I wonder if they will find a document stating that Ben should have Pru.  At the last minute.  While the grandfather is making noise about taking her.  Then she'll be another kid in the background that the doctors forget they have.

• Love 4
On 11/13/2021 at 3:54 PM, Crashcourse said:

So THAT’S what happened to Carina? I just thought she was written off the show, or bumped to (barely) recurring status. If Station 19 is the dumping ground for unwanted Grey’s characters, then maybe it has some value, after all.

I just watched this episode last night because that’s how invested I am in Grey’s these days. I agree that the Minnesota story is boring and weirdly disconnected. My theories on why it’s happening are 1) They are setting up a spin-off a la Private Practice, to continue on its own after Meredith returns to Seattle; or 2) Ellen wanted to maintain Covid distancing from a large cast, at least until vaccine mandates were enforced, but couldn’t stay on the beach forever, so a satellite story with a small cast was created for her.

• LOL 3
On 11/14/2021 at 8:28 PM, Milaxx said:

I'm not surprised that Megan insisted on holding Farouk's hand during surgery. Yes it seems wildly inappropriate, but I worked in a Peds ER and witnessed doctors being just that insistent in the middle of a trauma when it was their own kid.

I sensed immediately that the actor was non binary.  Since Kai is fairly well established in the medical community, I assume Amelia would know they are non binary.

As was mentioned Levi slept with Jo. When he and Nico got together he admitted he didn't realize he was gay until Nico kissed him. I will concede, however that the show tends to write more female presenting characters who are gender fluid than male presenting one.

As for the episode:

The entire Minnesota storyline is a big snoozefest. I do not care one bit about the romance of Meredith and Dr. Marsh. Not even slightly interested in Amelia & Kai hooking up. The most interesting bit of that story arc was Koracick showing up. I almost feel like they are testing the waters for a Grey's spin off.

I'd be on board for a Koracick series. Except it's been done before, and it was called House. 

My big annoyance is Jo. Her version of an American accent bugs me. And she whines all the time, and without Alex to redeem her, she is just a train wreck on the series. 

Meredith is once again making decisions that will complicate her home life and thank god other people are raising her children. 

• Love 4