Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: That LaDonna Life

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

TIDES BEGIN TO TURN - LaDonna (Khaila Johnson) signs up for fifteen more minutes of fame but quickly realizes she doesn't have the clout she once had, so she turns to an unlikely source to help further her agenda, meanwhile Jharrell (Joseph David-Jones) picks an inopportune time to speak his truth, and it may cost him dearly. Andre (TL Thompson) is eager to get back to medicine while everyone is eager to feel a bit of normalcy again. Shanice (Brittany Adebumola) takes a step towards repairing her relationship with her daughter and Hayden (AMARR) and Mildred (Autumn Best) enjoy an impromptu celebration. Also starring, Ireon Roach, Derrick A. King, Jaye Ladymore and Cory Jeacoma. The episode was directed by Sheelin Choskey and written by Kristen SaBerre.

Original Airdate: 11/8/2021   (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET)   CW

FFH103b_1436r.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

FFH103a_0322r.jpg?ssl=1

FFH103a_0033r.jpg?ssl=1

Good epi.. I felt the connection tween the doc and Noah.. I guess he saw some of himself in Noah and really wanted to get the medicine for him... LaDonna's mom was trash.. Full stop... Glad Mariah and her Mom seem to be finding some footing... So for powers of the main 4400 we see weekly all that's left is Doc and Rev right? 

• Love 2

I wonder if Ladonna's power is to manifest anything, anywhere or to manifest anything that she owns, anywhere. Ladonna's power has lots of potential.

I haven't quite figured out what Hayden's power is, can he communicate with (possibly just know the feeling of) any other person, ghosts, etc. Mildred said he could see the future, but I don't think he can.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

Good epi.. I felt the connection tween the doc and Noah.. I guess he saw some of himself in Noah and really wanted to get the medicine for him... LaDonna's mom was trash.. Full stop... Glad Mariah and her Mom seem to be finding some footing... So for powers of the main 4400 we see weekly all that's left is Doc and Rev right? 

So to sum up the powers:

Shanice seems to have some sort of Johnny Smith from the Dead Zone ability to see people's memories

LaDonna seems to be able to do some sort of wish fulfillment/manifestation ability

Claudette has regeneration

Mildred has standard TK

Hayden I am not sure, but some level of psychic/channeling. 

Noah can impose feelings/actions on normals (but not 4400) through song

No clue about Doc's ability

Rev may be a persuader. but it hasn't been established

• Love 2

This 3rd episode finally began to feel like they’re beyond Pilot-itis, but is it too late?

Other questions:

• Would all of the 4400 have died if they had not been transported through time by the Green Light? If so, that gives an exception to the advice given to fictional dying characters of: “Stay with me! Don’t go into The Light!”  
    ——Now their fictional loved ones or scientist colleagues might add: “But if you must go into The Light, go into The Green Light!”
  • Did Shanice attempt to commit suicide due to postpartum depression?
  • If LaDonna has been “gone” long enough for people to notice she hasn’t aged, how does her cell phone still work?
  • Is the doctor transgender?
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This 3rd episode finally began to feel like they’re beyond Pilot-itis, but is it too late?

Other questions:

• Would all of the 4400 have died if they had not been transported through time by the Green Light? If so, that gives an exception to the advice given to fictional dying characters of: “Stay with me! Don’t go into The Light!”  
    ——Now their fictional loved ones or scientist colleagues might add: “But if you must go into The Light, go into The Green Light!”
  • If LaDonna has been “gone” long enough for people to notice she hasn’t aged, how does her cell phone still work?
  • Is the doctor transgender?

So far I think we have only seen the befores of LaDonna, Rev and Shanice. Rev was just heading to the bathroom when he was green-lit, and (eta) Shanice was sitting in her car, had the radio go wonky, and then got sucked out of her car. Now it could be that both of them somehow were about to die when they were taken, and the Green Lighters (to coin a phrase for whoever's behind the transport/empowering of the 4400) have an approach to taking only people who were about to die like Freejack. But I think more would need to be shown to establish that as a pattern.

I don't think Shanice attempted suicide. At least to hear her tell it, she was thinking of deserting but didn't. Why she didn't destroy the note I don't know. It appears on face value she was just simply starting her first day back at her law firm after maternity leave when she was green-lit.

Heck, even if LaDonna had only been gone for a year, that would normally be enough time for her phone to be shut off. I suppose you could handwave it that her mom or the reality series or someone kept paying the bill to keep up the facade that she was in rehab or something? Or the phone's ability to function could be an extension of LaDonna's apparent 4400 ability to manifest things.

Last episode I thought that they were trying to signify that Doc was interested in Shanice. But his interactions with Noah makes me think that he might be somewhere on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. (Of course, those things aren't mutually exclusive).

In 2021, a lot of people are not accepting of transgender being an actual normal thing. Someone who grew up a century ago almost certainly would not just be like "Oh yeah, this concept makes sense to me and thanks for expanding my vocabulary." Particularly, I think, someone in the Black community from the 1920s. They'd be way more likely to be like, "um, what are you talking about?" if not outright "what you are doing is an abomination in the eyes of God." So Doc's positive reaction to Noah's situation might be a function of Doc being transgender. The actor, T.L. Thompson, is transgender. The notion of Doc passing as a male to go to medical school at a time when it would have been rare for a Black woman to be able to might be interesting. I think Doc's story is up next week so maybe we will get more details. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I haven't quite figured out what Hayden's power is, can he communicate with (possibly just know the feeling of) any other person, ghosts, etc. Mildred said he could see the future, but I don't think he can.

Yea, I didn't get the sense he can see the future. I think Mildred and whoever else said that are misinterpreting what he can do and he's not correcting them for some reason or doesn't fully understand it himself.

I love this show so far. The actors are all really good and the characters are interesting and have great chem together. Some stuff is deeply annoying but it's not enough to keep me from enjoying it right now.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

So far I think we have only seen the befores of LaDonna, Rev and Shanice. Rev was just heading to the bathroom when he was green-lit, and Shanice got out of her car and was standing in the street. Now it could be that both of them somehow were about to die when they were taken, and the Green Lighters (to coin a phrase for whoever's behind the transport/empowering of the 4400) have an approach to taking only people who were about to die like Freejack. But I think more would need to be shown to establish that as a pattern.

I don't think Shanice attempted suicide. At least to hear her tell it, she was thinking of deserting but didn't. Why she didn't destroy the note I don't know. It appears on face value she was just simply starting her first day back at her law firm after maternity leave when she was green-lit.

Heck, even if LaDonna had only been gone for a year, that would normally be enough time for her phone to be shut off. I suppose you could handwave it that her mom or the reality series or someone kept paying the bill to keep up the facade that she was in rehab or something? Or the phone's ability to function could be an extension of LaDonna's apparent 4400 ability to manifest things.

Last episode I thought that they were trying to signify that Doc was interested in Shanice. But his interactions with Noah makes me think that he might be somewhere on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. (Of course, those things aren't mutually exclusive).

In 2021, a lot of people are not accepting of transgender being an actual normal thing. Someone who grew up a century ago almost certainly would not just be like "Oh yeah, this concept makes sense to me and thanks for expanding my vocabulary." Particularly, I think, someone in the Black community from the 1920s. They'd be way more likely to be like, "um, what are you talking about?" if not outright "what you are doing is an abomination in the eyes of God." So Doc's positive reaction to Noah's situation might be a function of Doc being transgender. The actor, T.L. Thompson, is transgender. The notion of Doc passing as a male to go to medical school at a time when it would have been rare for a Black woman to be able to might be interesting. I think Doc's story is up next week so maybe we will get more details. 

Yeah, I imagine we'll see exactly that next week..  The doc being trans, he was just so amazed that Noah could live his life out and proud like that... I do think the Doc fancies Shaniece, but is probably too scared for any number of reasons to act... I imagine being a black trans man in 1920s Harlem was no picnic so he odds on hid how he felt and what he was.. Never getting too close because.. What happens when. It's time to get horizontal... The rebuke could and probably was disastrous 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought Shanice was sitting in the car and got sucked out like someone was using a vacuum cleaner.

LaDonna's cell phone service might have been turned back on by the government agency in an attempt to figure out what is really doing on with her. Did she use it at all during the 6 years she was gone? What are the messages she got like after she disappeared, were all of from people asking where is she at? 

I don't think the Doc is trying to hook up with anybody, I think the Doc has an obsessive need to help/Doctor people. Doc is always in Doctor mode, being a Physician or Psychiatrist.

• Love 4
On 11/9/2021 at 10:49 AM, AnimeMania said:

I wonder if Ladonna's power is to manifest anything, anywhere or to manifest anything that she owns, anywhere. Ladonna's power has lots of potential.

LaDonna is able to manifest the appearance of things, but they're not actually there. This was shown with the necklace, her fingers went through it when trying to touch it. She also said she could "kind of" make a light. The flame blipped off and there was no smoke when Hayden blew out the candle.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:48 AM, shapeshifter said:

If LaDonna has been “gone” long enough for people to notice she hasn’t aged, how does her cell phone still work?

It's only been 6 years since LaDonna disappeared. Any comments on her appearance are superficial. Except her hair and nails, she has the same weave on that she had in her reality tv pilot episode. In 2015 she would have had an iPhone 6s or Plus, both of which people still have and use now. The phone would work on wifi just fine. Her concern for her phone seems more to do with a social media habit than actually trying to get in touch with anyone. 

An important aspect I haven't seen asked regarding the powers seems to be what the 4400 *can't* do. For some, their power affects everyone (Mildred, LaDonna), others only the non 4400 (Noah, maybe Shanice), and then for some, only themselves (Claudette, Hayden). Regarding Hayden, I mean that his gift is internal, though the consequences of what he sees and shares can affect others. He mentioned hearing what he knows. I think he sees/hears some things, but isn't in control of when. His reaction to hugging Mildred was similar to Shanice hugging her daughter, except where Shanice saw a memory, Hayden saw a few seconds into the future. However, Hayden doesn't see everything, the chess gift was a surprise. 

• Love 2

Some things I was not clear on:

1. How did LaDonna manage to get the footage of the actual treatment of the 4400?

2. Why, of all the possible people to send it to (journalists, politicians, liberal activists) would she have chosen Mariah? And how would she have gotten Mariah's information to send it to her?

3. Why would LaDonna have been the center of a potential reality show when it seems like it was her mom who had been the spinoff of another reality show? 

4. How did her disappearance (screaming as she was falling) not register with anyone? How did the entire crew of people explain that she was literally there one minute and then gone the next? The other disappearances we've seen thus far happened such that nobody who knew the person had reason to think that there was anything mysterious about the disappearance. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

1. How did LaDonna manage to get the footage of the actual treatment of the 4400?

The only thing I can think of is LaDonna had access to the Tech Lady's computer with the footage on it and it might also have had contact information for Shanice's family. Unfortunately if this happened it would be easy to figure out who leaked the footage from the email address it was sent to.

22 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Why would LaDonna have been the center of a potential reality show when it seems like it was her mom who had been the spinoff of another reality show? 

I thought that LaDonna's mom was on a Real Housewives type show in which LaDonna, as her daughter, made some guest appearances and then became popular enough that she (LaDonna) got a spinoff show.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought that LaDonna's mom was on a Real Housewives type show in which LaDonna, as her daughter, made some guest appearances and then became popular enough that she (LaDonna) got a spinoff show.

Sure but it seems pretty far-fetched to me that the spinoff would not be about MamaLaDonna rather than LaDonna. Like it would make sense to me if the original show led to a MamaLaDonna show which then led to That LaDonna Life, but for the original show to lead directly to a LaDonna show seems like it is skipping a step to me. MamaLaDonna presumably would have been one of four to five main cast members, so it is hard for me to buy that LaDonna to be such a standout from that as a secondary cast member that it would justify her own show as opposed to "The MamaLaDonna Show" or "Living with the Landrys."

I liked the look back at LaDonna's life and seeing more and more of the connections being created between the missing.

Her mother was a monster.  And I can totally see if LaDonna's appearances on the mother's Real Housewives type show created enough buzz on her own, how a producer might want to capitalize on it and skew younger. Also could see how her narcissist mother would both be a bit threatened by it -- so much so that she takes every opportunity to belittle LaDonna to keep her in her place so to speak-- but also seize it as an opportunity to catapult herself into the spotlight.

So I wonder what is Ladonna's talent?  If she wishes for something she can make it happen?  Seems awfully broad.  At least the shady loser government types stay in character and caused her to turn on them. 

Speaking of.... the shady loser government types are still the worst part of the show.  Not just because they are the worst, but they are  underwritten.  And what writing is given to them is simplistic.

Liking the slow development of Shanice's story and her connecting with her daughter.  But that first conversation with them at the top of the show is also bad tv writing 101.

Claudette remains my favorite " A Job? Is this a paid position.  You want me, a black woman being held against her will ,to do all this work for free?”  Ha!  Also given all the hostility she has toward 80s preacher dude, can a romance be right around the corner?

• Love 2

I liked this episode…. Right up until LaDonna said the COBOL computer language died in the 70s.  As a COBOL programmer who just retired at the end of 2020 ….  COBOL will still be here a few more decades.  Does it make your pretty internet screens? No, but it handles all the information you enter and that gets presented  to you. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I liked this episode…. Right up until LaDonna said the COBOL computer language died in the 70s.  As a COBOL programmer who just retired at the end of 2020 ….  COBOL will still be here a few more decades.  Does it make your pretty internet screens? No, but it handles all the information you enter and that gets presented  to you. 

I don't remember her saying that about COBOL, and I was wondering why she would have felt the need to sneak a book about COBOL, or for that matter, any particular book. 

As a non-programmer, I know COBOL is still in use, but it doesn't seem like the first choice for someone in 2021 to learn a programming language. And given LaDonna got greenlit in 2015, it seems like she should have figured on a "hotter" language like C+ or whatever. 

As to why she had to sneak it, I suppose the reason (other than this way we get to see info about her illusion-casting powers) is she's suspicious that the government wouldn't let her check books out. But it seems like a book about computer programming and about medicine aren't exactly controversial.

4 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I don't remember her saying that about COBOL, and I was wondering why she would have felt the need to sneak a book about COBOL, or for that matter, any particular book. 

As a non-programmer, I know COBOL is still in use, but it doesn't seem like the first choice for someone in 2021 to learn a programming language. And given LaDonna got greenlit in 2015, it seems like she should have figured on a "hotter" language like C+ or whatever. 

As to why she had to sneak it, I suppose the reason (other than this way we get to see info about her illusion-casting powers) is she's suspicious that the government wouldn't let her check books out. But it seems like a book about computer programming and about medicine aren't exactly controversial.

I think the writers were trying to equate a book on programming with an attempt at hacking——which their minders would immediately shut down. 

9 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The paper that had coding on it was in the medical books that the social worker loaned the doctor.  LaDonna just happened to be standing there when he found it and wondered what it was.  She recognized it as COBOL.  That’s when she made the comment.  There wasn’t any sneaking then.  However later she commented that she hadn’t figured out what the code was for.  Maybe that’s when the sneaking came into play? Who knows if the code  means anything other  than a oldclass assignment.  Which is strange  since the social workers’  brother hasn’t been missing long and COBOL isn’t taught in school anymore.  It’s basically on the job training now.  There wasn’t enough a a snippet to tell you anything really.  It was a data record layout.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1