Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: A Lesson from Professor Pyg

Trini
  • Start Topic

Ryan asks Sophie to accompany her to a dinner at Jada's to do recon on what her estranged mother knows about Wayne Enterprises, but the evening takes a turn when an uninvited guest drops in on the intimate gathering. As the terrifying evening unfolds, Ryan witnesses another side to Marquis and her mother.

David Ramsey directed the episode written by Ebony Gilbert and Caroline Dries.

Airdate: 11/10/2021

008-bw-season3-episode5.jpg

Alice, if you really want to imagine Bats and Cats between the sheets, I suggest picking up the Tom King run of Batman. They get it on A LOT so you'll be satisfied.

I enjoyed Alice and Sophie being roommates.

Professor Pyg will never not be beyond creepy. Poor Zoe.

Montoya and Ivy have a romantic history and Montoya chose the job. Yeah that wouldn't sit well with Ivy.

I'm glad they make a point to have regular scenes with Alice and Mary. They bring me such joy.

So Mary's infected by Poison Ivy...gas? serum? pollen? Maybe she'll become Ivy Jr.

Is Marquis going to be Ryan's Joker? I wouldn't hate it if they went there.

• Love 5

OK, so Professor Pyg went broke but organized this scheme where he got himself hired as Jada's chef in time for the family reunion, tipped off Marquis, got cell phone jamming devices and drugged the wine. Got it.

And nobody thought, "Let's just stab him to death when there are four of us and just one of him."

And Luke apparently doesn't think anything when Sophie disconnected in the middle of a Batconversation. And either he didn't bother to try to reach her or Ryan through conventional means or didn't figure out that their unavailability meant something. I was kind of hoping Batwing came to the rescue.

• Love 2

I didn't see the Marquis twist coming at all and I hope they go with it.

The tone of the show has really gotten dark this season and for me it has been a plus as I was initially concerned that the Kate storyline went on too long.

Jada's reaction/scream to Marquis stabbing the chef had me laughing out loud.

Lastly, the costume designer on this show deserves a lot of credit as all of the women ( especially Mary with that white/yellow outfit) looked fantastic this episode.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

The Marquis as Ryan's Joker is a twist I didn't expect and it's made me really excited for the rest of the season.

Right???!!! That reveal completely changes everything we thought we knew and opens the show to so many possibilities. 

I’m so excited.

• Love 1

Its like the writers heard people (like me) complaining about how this show doesn't have enough of the bat mythos in and it, so this season they were like "fine, you want Batman stuff? Have a bunch of new versions of the classic bad guys! Have Renee Montoya! Have Ryan's brother be the new Joker!" I did not see that twist with Marquis coming at all, this whole long lost family story has just gotten a lot more interesting, I am really excited about where this is going! Marquis as Ryan's Joke sounds awesome, this is not at all what I expected from Ryan's mom abandoning her, but its honestly way more interested then I expected. 

Although its hard to beat his Gotham counterpart dancing around rich people he plans to murder waving around meat cleavers in his pig costume while singing Cell Block Tango from Chicago, this Professor Pyg was still very creepy, he's one of my favorite modern Batman villains.

Alice and Sophie as reluctant roomies is pretty fun, and I continue to adore Mary/Alice scenes. I am rather concerned about Mary though, has she been infected? Is she going to be the next Poison Ivy now? 

Funny how both Ryan and Kate now have siblings who became psychotic villains after being collateral damage of the Joker in childhood. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Funny how both Ryan and Kate now have siblings who became psychotic villains after being collateral damage of the Joker in childhood. 

I could see them going with a different story when it comes to Marquis.  Did the Joy buzzer fry his brain, or did that moment bring the monster to the surface?  Did Joker create Joker 2.0, or was Joker 2.0 always there just well hidden?

• Useful 1

In any event, I'm starting to see why Jada went to such extreme lengths to keep Ryan out of her life. Considering that Marquis evidently murdered her husband just for kicks and giggles, I can believe that she'd have been terrified of what he'd do to Ryan once he found out about Ryan's existence.

• Useful 2

"My deal? I study in sociological dynamics. Kind of like the raging dysfunction going on at this table. Well, I have to freshen up and get viciously murdered by the Villain of the Week. It was great meeting you, Ms. Jet. I can't wait for the Head of the Class reboot. Oh, right . . . I'm getting killed. Forgot about that." #RIPZoe

I don't think Marquis is going to be a new Joker, or a Pseudo-Joker. I'm thinking this is a case where a few thousand volts can turn a kid into a violent sociopath. And yes, I know that's probably not how brains work, but it does give us a ticking time bomb in Marquis AND it makes Jada's actions slightly less awful. Nicely done, Batwoman. Don't blow this!

Anyone else amused that Pyg's would-be victims were basically turned into zombies? I mean that the paralysis set their bodies to "shamble." The actors probably couldn't stop doing that between takes.

Alice is still fun to watch. Nice turn that she's basically living in a psychosis that she can't control. On the bright side, she's still entertaining, and she learned that Montoya and Ivy were an item.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:59 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Professor Pyg will never not be beyond creepy. Poor Zoe.

Even the one from Beware the Batman? I wondered if he was in Gotham, and then I remembered the dinner party from hell in . . . I want to say the fourth season. Am I right?

On 11/10/2021 at 9:59 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I enjoyed Alice and Sophie being roommates.

Gotta love the end of the scene, where it looked like Sophie was trying to kill Alice with her mind. Getting paralysis and hunted was probably a worse experience . . . but not by much.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I wondered if he was in Gotham, and then I remembered the dinner party from hell in . . . I want to say the fourth season. Am I right?

Oh yes, I wanted to hide under the bed when he was on.

5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

it looked like Sophie was trying to kill Alice with her mind.

That was delightful. Since they're keeping Alice it's good they're leaning into how much she annoys everyone. It's fun.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

That was delightful. Since they're keeping Alice it's good they're leaning into how much she annoys everyone. It's fun.

I was surprised to see her out of her usual Alice getup. She looked so different in a ponytail and a t-shirt and sweats that I didn't realize it was her at first!

• Love 2

I know we barely knew her, but I kind of felt bad when Zoey got taken out in typical guest star fashion.  Can't help but to kind of respect someone who not only willingly goes on a family dinner date with the Jets, but actually psychoanalysis them as well.  Now, that takes guts!

Honestly didn't not expect the Marquis twist.  Not sure if he's actually going to become another variation of the Joker or just be a new antagonist created by him, but it will certainly shake the dynamics a bit.  If nothing else, it actually kind of explains why Jada did what she did with Ryan's birth and secrecy, because she probably really did worry about what would happen if Marquis had a sibling (especially since it looks like he basically killed his father for shits and giggles.)  Interesting.

Alice and Sophie as roomies certainly feels like it will have a lot of potential!

Poison Ivy definitely seems to be getting set-up as a major player, with her/Pamela apparently being college girlfriends with Renee and now apparently infecting Mary.  Combine that with the actress they have playing her and I'm getting really excited here!

I know things aren't looking good for Wayne Enterprise, but I'm kind of doubting Luke's claim that it was never in the red until now.  With everything going on in Gotham, I have to imagine at the very least it had a rough year somewhere down the line.  No company have have that great of a run, right?

Professor Pyg will always be a character.  A very violent, creepy character...

• Love 2

Well, the twist at the end was great and we finally get why Ryan was put in the system. Little Marquis would not have liked to have a baby sister. Or rather he would have liked it but not in a way to win any 'big brother of the year' badges. Of course the whole twist worked because Ryan fell prey to one of my pet peeves: characters not asking obvious questions. In this case: who is my father, what happened to him, did he know you kicked me to the system, is he still alive?

I was actually getting bored by the whole horror-driven plot. Geez Sophie, next time you try to get away from a meat cleaver wielding psycho (and there will be a next time) ditch the high heels! I liked Zoey so once she was killed I actually ff through most of that because I'm enjoying Alice so much more. Loved both her scenes with Montoya and Mary and her being a roomie in socks and ex-hubbie's t-shirt. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2

Again, Ryan being W.E. CEO (in more than name only) makes ZERO sense, and I'm still not seeing why they had to do this. I think they still could have done this story with the her and Jets without it. How is she taking calls from investors?? I really wish it was Luke so he'd have something to do outside the Cave.

A little sad that only Alice is noticing Mary being weird, but at least someone does!

LOL'd at Sophie and Alice as roommates! It's still kind of silly, but they make a surprisingly funny duo.

So Montoya has personal ties to Poison Ivy. Okay, things are starting to come together with that; I hope we see Pamela soon.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:48 PM, tennisgurl said:

... Funny how both Ryan and Kate now have siblings who became psychotic villains after being collateral damage of the Joker in childhood. 

I find it less "funny" and more uninspired. I like the twist with Marquis; but I find it weird that they're copying themselves when I thought the whole point of creating a whole new lead character was to do something different than Kate Kane. It's like they can't break from their own formula?

15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

... Honestly didn't not expect the Marquis twist.  Not sure if he's actually going to become another variation of the Joker or just be a new antagonist created by him, but it will certainly shake the dynamics a bit.  If nothing else, it actually kind of explains why Jada did what she did with Ryan's birth and secrecy, because she probably really did worry about what would happen if Marquis had a sibling (especially since it looks like he basically killed his father for shits and giggles.)  Interesting. ...

Except it really doesn't since Ryan was only born a year after Marquis; he wasn't deranged/damaged until later. There's still another story with Ryan's birth.

• Love 3

Even within the realm of nonsense that has Ryan being Wayne Enterprise CEO with a felony conviction, no college, no prior experience with the company or business in general and no known work history beyond bartender for about a year, the notion that an embezzlement scandal potentially involving her tanked 53 percent of Wayne Enterprise's stock price is beyond ridiculous. 

And if you accept that it happened, any self-respecting board of directors would simply fire her in order to stop the bleeding. 

• Love 2
On 11/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Even within the realm of nonsense that has Ryan being Wayne Enterprise CEO with a felony conviction, no college, no prior experience with the company or business in general and no known work history beyond bartender for about a year, the notion that an embezzlement scandal potentially involving her tanked 53 percent of Wayne Enterprise's stock price is beyond ridiculous. 

And if you accept that it happened, any self-respecting board of directors would simply fire her in order to stop the bleeding. 

Actually, I want to know why the board is specifically angry with Ryan. We know what Jada found is true. Didn't the information say that the embezzlement was happening for years? Shouldn't the board think that "hey, maybe Kate put Ryan as CEO to take the fall" Because Ryan is only acting CEO for what? A few months?

On 11/12/2021 at 4:05 PM, Trini said:

Except it really doesn't since Ryan was only born a year after Marquis; he wasn't deranged/damaged until later. There's still another story with Ryan's birth.

Exactly. I'm really hoping it's not revealed Jada had an affair with Bruce which resulted in Ryan. She seems to really hate Wayne Enterprises.