Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E07 Independence Day

• Start Topic

As Kim’s campaign for a car coincides with the need to take Grandaddy Clisby’s keys away, Bill proposes a solution that is only pleasing to him: Kim can drive, so long as she takes her grandfather and Dean around town. Later on at the mall, Dean is worried about seeming uncool when Clisby ends up chaperoning him and his friends, but Clisby has a few crowd-pleasing tricks up his sleeve.

Original Air Date: November 3, 2021

There were parts of the episode I liked and parts I disliked.

I enjoyed seeing Dean being worried that his grandfather would embarass him to realizing that his grandfather could actual be cool. The show did a good job of showing how his grandfather resisted the idea of giving up his car keys to realizing that although he hated it, he was no longer able to drive safely. I enjoyed the scene at the barber shop.

The one thing I disliked is the anachronistic mall. It took me right out of the era (I could be wrong on this point so hopefully someone can confirm that I am right or explain why I am wrong). I don't think that kind of mall existed in a southern city/suburb in 1968. I thought in the late 1960s south it would have been more likely a suburban shopping plaza as opposed to an indoor mall. That mall seemed like something that would have been new in the mid-1970s or early 1980s.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

The one thing I disliked is the anachronistic mall. It took me right out of the era (I could be wrong on this point so hopefully someone can confirm that I am right or explain why I am wrong). I don't think that kind of mall existed in a southern city/suburb in 1968. I thought in the late 1960s south it would have been more likely a suburban shopping plaza as opposed to an indoor mall. That mall seemed like something that would have been new in the mid-1970s or early 1980s.

I grew up in Houston and indoor shopping malls were around and popular by the early 1960s.     

• Love 5

I was super excited when we saw the quick shot of Bruce’s military photo and it showed that he’s being played by an actor I love from AP Bio. (I know he’s done other things, but the Dan Decker character on AP Bio is great).

This show is really enjoyable. I love that Dean thought his parents were talking about putting his grandfather down.

• Love 7

When this show first started I was questioning why it was set in the 60s, and now I love that is set in the 60s. The adult Dean commentary is so, so important and impactful. How many people (in general, not in this thread) watching forgot or didn't know that it was difficult for people who are black to get a bank account in the 60s? *raises hand*. I knew, I learned about it in school but that was a long time ago and I am ashamed to admit I forgot.

The giving up the ability to drive story hit very close to home. I was an adult when my dad had to take his dads keys. It was so, so hard. And the day is coming soon, that my dad is going to have to give up his keys. My parents leased him a CRV with all the updated safety features, and he doesn't go far, but it is coming. And it terrifies me that my mom is talking about them just keeping her car (an older Fusion with zero cameras or techy safety features). They need a car that just stops. 

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I guess the sister isn't in the Panthers anymore. I wonder if the network killed that story. 

I thought she left the group after her boyfriend was revealed to be an asshole and also had a gun at the meeting she brought Dean to.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I thought she left the group after her boyfriend was revealed to be an asshole and also had a gun at the meeting she brought Dean to

I thought she broke up with the guy, but had hoped she was still committed to the cause. Making her leave the group over one guy makes her a shallow character where having her stay involved would make her interesting and I also had hoped the show was going to show a more 3 dimensional picture of the Panthers, who did more than carry weapons-- for example: they also fed children, which would have been a very interesting story for the show to tell.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I thought she broke up with the guy, but had hoped she was still committed to the cause. Making her leave the group over one guy makes her a shallow character where having her stay involved would make her interesting and I also had hoped the show was going to show a more 3 dimensional picture of the Panthers, who did more than carry weapons-- for example: they also fed children, which would have been a very interesting story for the show to tell.

I didn't get the impression it was the guy, but the gun, that caused her to rethink her attendance and personal safety. I agree that showing the full scope of the Panthers would be interesting and it seemed that is what she signed up for. I hope they revisit the storyline.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

She left because he was mean to her younger brother and she didn't like that he had a gun. I saw it as she didn't like the direction the group was headed, which isn't shallow. I do hope she finds another outlet for her activism. 

I do wish the show had shown the Black Panthers in action and some of thier community outreach projects, especially those involving children or families like the free breakfasts or after school programs they did. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I read an article about the filming they did in Montgomery.  The particular mall they filmed in was built later, but there was a Montgomery Mall that opened in  1970; it started with a free standing store that was built earlier; that store became one of the anchor stores when it expanded.  There was an even earlier outdoor mall called Normandale Mall or Shopping Center/Mall which was open air with canopies.   It was very nice when it opened, and I think was one of the first of its kind.

What seems like an anachronism to me is the stainless side-by-side refrigerator.  I don't recall seeing them back in the 60's, but they were around.

In an earlier episode, there is a food pyramid poster in the lunchroom.  I think it came out in the early 90's.  The show began in 68 which was the year I finished my freshman year in high school.  When I was in grade school, the lunch room ladies told us to serve a meat and 2 veggies for a balanced meal. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

She left because he was mean to her younger brother and she didn't like that he had a gun. I saw it as she didn't like the direction the group was headed, which isn't shallow.

I meant that killing the activism storyline entirely took away what made her interesting, now that she's no longer an activist. And also that it's a shallow portrayal of what the Panthers really were up to at that time. The set up for her leaving was contrived to get rid of the storyline, and not to develop the character, so the writing was also shallow. I didn't mind her objecting to the gun or the rudeness, but they haven't done anything with the subject since then, so it's taken away from her character and made her characterization more shallow.

• Love 4

I loved the storyline with the grandfather. I was worried it was going to go the dementia route that I've seen too many times, and was happy to see that he's still mentally sharp, just not up to driving anymore. I definitely want to see more of him!

I also loved the reminder that the 1968 Olympic are coming up and really hope to see an episode about the famous raised fist salute by Tommie Smith and John Carlos. That should definitely show us where Dean's sister is in her activism, now that she seems to have distanced herself from the Black Panthers.

I appreciate all the "clueless" moments in this show too- like Dean not understanding why his grandfather carries around wads of cash, and his white friends making casual suggestions about Dean moving to another part of town. They get the point across without beating the audience over the head. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I also loved the reminder that the 1968 Olympic are coming up and really hope to see an episode about the famous raised fist salute by Tommie Smith and John Carlos. That should definitely show us where Dean's sister is in her activism, now that she seems to have distanced herself from the Black Panthers.

I don't think Kim has given up on activism. My guess is she is looking for a new outlet, but since Dean isn't aware of that we haven't seen it yet. I'm interested to see how Dean and his friends react to the raised fist salute. 

• Love 7

Dean's grandpa talking about looking forward to the Olympics because they'll "keep politics out of it" seems like they are definitely foreshadowing everyone reacting to the famous raised fist moment. It would be a good time to see if Kim is still involved in activism even after she left the boyfriend who was with the Panthers. 

That was a fun episode, I liked Dean bonding with his grandpa and all of the kids being traumatized by watching Rosemary's Baby. "That's rated R for a reason."

• Love 9

I knew Grandpa and Dean would have an accident, because it's a sitcom and his driving ability was the main conflict so of course he would crash with his grandkid in the car so he could finally see the light, but it seemed less like it was because "he's old" (can't see well, slowed reaction time, whatever else contributes to having trouble driving as you age) than that he wasn't looking at the road. Which is something TV characters (regardless of age) do so often when talking to a passenger that I notice when they actually manage to act like they are behind the wheel of a two-ton vehicle.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5

Why did grandpa go from being surly and grouchy to friendly and warm? When he treated the whole gang to a movie, and then was laughing it up in the car, and taking Dean to the barber shop... I didn't understand what made him change his attitude.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, possibilities said:

Why did grandpa go from being surly and grouchy to friendly and warm? When he treated the whole gang to a movie, and then was laughing it up in the car, and taking Dean to the barber shop... I didn't understand what made him change his attitude.

He was still surly and grouchy while he was doing nice things…lol.  That’s just his old man personality.   He loved his family, but for a lot of reasons men of his generation didn’t show it by being warm and welcoming all the time.    He took the kids to the movies to spite his son a little and to be the cool grandpa…imo   

• Love 7