Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Anniversary

maraleia

Well I was wrong. I had thought Stuart's mother would be forever unseen, so I was pretty surprised to see her at the door. I have enjoyed Violet lusting after Ash thus far but didn't like her shoving him against a wall to forcibly kiss him.

I can't believe Ash answered your phone either, Freddie.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

I don't want to rewatch to find out, but maybe someone remembers...When Ash answered the phone, had he just walked into the flat without a key? (Or does he have a key?) Do Freddie and Stuart actually leave their flat unlocked?

Edited by Milburn Stone

I loved this. Ian McKellen is so fantastic. I love his performance.

I, too, was surprised to actually see the mother. Great casting. I don't know the actress, but she was perfect. Her faint was hilarious. Oh, and I love that she shook Stuart's hand when she came in.

"Look out of the window first. Check if you see any flying monkeys."

Freddie kindly saying, "You all know we're joking with you, right?" getting no response then barking, "RIGHT!?" was great, as was the version when he said he and Stuart loved them.

Edited by peeayebee

I didn't like the forced kissing, either.  It's too close to rape for my liking. 

But I loved the Judi Dench part, and the mother part, and the handjob part!  I've learned to watch their lips at all times, I might miss something!

Wonderful speech by Freddie, too!

• Love 1

"The introduction of Mildred was kind of a funny surprise in itself; given that every episode begins with Stuart talking to her on/trying to get her off the phone, I figured she was going to be the Maris/Vera of Vicious: frequently mentioned but never seen. (I guess that slot now belongs to the dog.) "

SPOILER:

Nope, you'll see him in the Christmas episode. If PBS is airing it, which I'm not sure they are.

There's a Christmas episode? I hope we get to see it. I can't believe this season's over already, feels like it just got started...that's because with only six episodes, it just did.

I, too, was shocked that we got to see Stuart's Mum. I was sure she was going to be strictly spoken of and referred to but not seen, like the dog (and I don't think I want to see that, either! Remember how grossed out Ash's girlfriend was?). Also shocked that Ash would just stroll in and answer the phone.The neighbors know each other pretty well at this point, so coming in when the door is unlocked isn't so bad, but picking up the phone is way over the line. And then just casually mentioning the party? Ash is young, but he shouldn't be that dense.

But those are minor quibbles. Overall, this is a fun show, and it's great to watch old pros like McKellen and Jacobi. I'm so used to seeing him in dramas, going all the way back to I, Claudius, that it was a bit of an adjustment at first watching Jacobi play a prissy, snarky old queen! But he does it quite well.

I don't know the actress, but she was perfect.

She's done quite a lot but she was also Bathilda Bagshot in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. 

Now I want to meet Judi from Tesco.  And I want to bring a big empty box to a party to seem festive.

I actually started to feel compassion for the sourpuss friend who never brings anything. He showed a nanosecond of humanity that made me think about the sadness of his existence instead of his just fulfilling the function of "sourpuss friend who never brings anything." I can't remember what it was.

Edited by Milburn Stone

except that a lot of TV seems to imply no one on the planet locks their doors

TV has it's conventions.  In the same way that someone always finds a parking space right in front of the building they're going into.

What was it that Freddie said he and Judy Dench had worked together on years ago? A commercial for Smarties? What are they? I'm assuming it's not the candy that goes by that name here in the States.

I didn't like the forced kissing, either.  It's too close to rape for my liking.

Are you serious? Do you know a statement like that makes a mockery of what rape is? Here's the dictionary definition for you: "to force (someone) to have sex with you by using violence or the threat of violence."

An 60-something old lady kissing a 20-something young man is not anything like rape.