Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E03 Who You Calling a Bitch?

AgentRXS
  • Start Topic

After a bad concert review, the women come to terms with the fact that their old image and music no longer serve them; and while Naomi struggles to maintain creative control, Brianna argues for a more collaborative group effort. Meanwhile, Eric takes Valeria out to dinner and dancing in hopes of inspiring her creativity. Later, Naomi gets a second chance to prove herself to JoJo.

Original Air Date: November 2, 2021

Enjoyed the epi.  The rap battle was good as long as the final song.

I get Jill is new at being a lesbian but she needs to make better choices.  Having sex with a reporter is not a good idea and will not go well for her or Tina.

Still not sure what to make of Naomi and her daughter.  I'm all for them getting to know one another.  I'm not sure what Naomi's issue is with telling her daughter who her father is.  Heck, my mom rarely if ever said anything good about my dad to me but she wasn't entirely wrong...

I even liked Valeria's segment though I know some don't really see the point of her character or think her skills are up to snuff.

Also knew Brianna's husband was gone as she was talking to him and he had no response.

Looking forward to the fall out of some of the threads next week.

• Love 6

Ah.  Very good episode.

The rap battle was fantastic.  I know this show gets some comparisons to Girls5Eva but I have to say the music in this, imo, is heads and shoulders above the music in Girl5Eva ( or at least the three songs I've heard from that show).  Those songs feel like they are SNL parody video songs, especially if you listen to the lyrics.  The music in this takes itself very seriously.  I actually saw an interview with Swizz Beats who I guess is the music director on the show and he said that Nasty Girls was a song he had written with Eve in mind years ago. 

Valeria is 100% a stand in for an Iggy Azalea or even a J.Lo.  A female mentored by a black hip hop producer who doesn't have the talent or bars of a black female rapper but gets shepherded a long and coasts on pretty.  And Is given the sorts of access (and even accolades) that often eludes a more talented black female hip hop artist. 

If I didn't already know the showrunner of this show is a graduate of the Shonda Rhimes school of tv and has written on many of her shows, I would have guessed based on the speech Jeff gave to the school administration about the necklace.

Also. RIP Jeff, we hardly knew ye...

JoJo was getting on my nerves, but I liked how that all came out in the end.

Looking forward to seeing how everything falls out

• Love 4

So the student Jeff was having the affair with has to be pregnant with his baby, right?  That's the only reason I can come up with for her suddenly calling him non-stop.  And since this is a soap opera, it's probably going to be revealed at his funeral.  Or the student will leave the baby on Eve's doorstep during the season finale.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

So the student Jeff was having the affair with has to be pregnant with his baby, right?  That's the only reason I can come up with for her suddenly calling him non-stop.  And since this is a soap opera, it's probably going to be revealed at his funeral.  Or the student will leave the baby on Eve's doorstep during the season finale.  

I was thinking this too. Having him die and leave behind a baby with the mistress is classic soap.

Valeria is giving me 100% J.Lo. 
Brandy, Eve, and Naturi have such great chemistry. I am loving this more than I thought I would.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2021 at 12:11 PM, milkyaqua said:

Still not sure what to make of Naomi and her daughter.  I'm all for them getting to know one another.  I'm not sure what Naomi's issue is with telling her daughter who her father is.  Heck, my mom rarely if ever said anything good about my dad to me but she wasn't entirely wrong...

Probably shame and fear of the fall out.

Naomi didn’t tell him she was pregnant, and then she dropped the girl on her grandmother’s door step to be raised. If Jojo finds out who the man is, Naomi will have to deal with him and his reaction, Jojo’s reaction, her MOTHER’S reaction (perhaps he would’ve wanted to raise Jojo and she wouldn’t had to do it in her older years). And to the fact that he and Jojo may form a bond and she may grow to love him more than she cares for Naomi.

It’s 2021- DNA tests and databases are a thing, it’s best for her to just come clean. 

Eve/Brianna’s cheekbones were absolutely glowing in that last monologue. I am sorry her husband died. She’s now got 4 kids to finish raising alone. 

4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Eve/Brianna’s cheekbones were absolutely glowing in that last monologue. I am sorry her husband died. She’s now got 4 kids to finish raising alone. 

If she stays with the show. I wonder if they killed him off to give her an easy out.

• Love 1

Okay, they made the names make more sense with this one. Professor Sex being someone who went to grad school at Columbia and wanted to really be a professor, and Xplicit Lyrics as the primary song writer makes sense. Jill Da Thrill always seemed logical and is reminiscent of Da Brat, so that I never had a problem with. But seriously, Butter Pecan.

I liked the setup of the episode with the focus on each member individually. 

So I guess Jeff was telling the truth about his memory loss. Didn't see the death coming, but it made perfect sense. Yeah, the grad student's probably pregnant.