Type keyword(s) to search

Black Adam (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

(edited)

New Release Date: October 21, 2022

Black Adam Footage Description Teases Dwayne Johnson's Brutal Hero
BY ANDY BEHBAKHT    APRIL 26, 2022
https://screenrant.com/black-adam-movie-footage-description-dwayne-johnson-dceu/

.... Warner Bros. was one of the studios to take part in this year's CinemaCon event, which is currently taking place in Las Vegas. Screen Rant was present to watch brand new footage for Black Adam, which includes some brutal elements of the anti-hero's journey. Check out the full description below:

"A ship flies over ice as Adam is put in stasis. There are shots of him as a slave before being 'reborn as a god.' Adam says, 'I kneel before no one.' Doctor Fate says, 'I've seen the future. Either you [Black Adam] will destroy this world or be its savior.' The footage cuts to Adam walking through a desert, and someone shoots a rocket at him. He catches the rocket and it explodes. He survives but looks pissed as electricity crackles around him. The footage also includes shots of the JSA in action. Atom Smasher is in his giant form and runs down the street. The Hawkman shot from the original trailer is shown. Cyclone is seen inside a ship, before cutting to more quick shots. Someone says, 'Heroes don't kill people,' while Adam replies, 'Well, I do.' Then he punches a guy so hard the person flies high into the air, disappears, and dies."
While Johnson is headlining the film, Black Adam has quite a big cast of characters that will be seen in the DCEU project. With the Justice Society attached, Black Adam also stars Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher, Aldis Hodge as Hawkman, Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone, and Pierce Brosnan as Kent Nelson, a.k.a. Doctor Fate. Johnson's solo film will also include Sarah Shahi as DC Comics' Adrianna Tomaz, who is a university professor and also one of Kahndaq's resistance fighters. The villainous DC group Intergang is also confirmed to appear in Black Adam, which becomes the organization's first depiction cinematically.

"Big" DC Movie With the Justice Society of America
By JAMIE LOVETT - April 27, 2022 
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/black-adam-movie-2022-the-rock-cinemacon-cast-justice-society-of-america/

During Warner Bros. Pictures' CinemacCon panel on Tuesday night, in addition to debuting a new trailer, Black Adam star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson introduced his co-stars playing DC Comics' original superhero supergroup, the Justice Society of America. ComicBook.com attended the panel where Johnson talked about his upcoming debut film as the DC Comics antihero. "So in this movie, we also introduced the JSA," Johnson said. "The JSA is the Justice Society of America. They were before the Justice League, actually, in terms of the comic and the mythology. We are introducing the JSA in Black Adam, and I am privileged and honored to tell you that we have Pierce Brosnan in the movie with us. We have Aldis Hodge in the movie as Hawkman."

Johnson then introduced two other stars playing Justice Society members: Quintessa Swindle, who plays Cyclone, and Noah Centineo, who plays Atom Smasher. They came out onto the stage with Johnson to great the CinemaCon crowd. Johnson sang his co-stars' praises.

"It's a big movie," Johnson said. "We are introducing and creating a world, and that's not easy to do, very difficult to do, and taking on characters that are really beloved, I can tell you, and a lot of fans around the world will tell you the same thing. So Cyclone and Atom Smasher, what [Swindle and Centineo] were able to do, I'm really, really, so proud. I cannot wait for you guys to see them in the movie. They did great."

In Black Adam, "Nearly 5,000 years after he was bestowed with the almighty powers of the Egyptian gods – and imprisoned just as quickly – Black Adam (Dwayne Johnson) is freed from his earthly tomb, ready to unleash his unique form of justice on the modern world."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Here’s Why ‘Black Adam’ Was Delayed Until October
Adam Chitwood | May 3, 2022 
https://www.thewrap.com/why-black-adam-release-date-delayed-dwayne-johnson/

DC fans were dealt a blow of disappointment earlier this year when they learned they’d have to wait even longer to see Dwayne Johnson’s superhero debut in “Black Adam,” but there’s a good reason why the film’s release date was pushed back from July to October.

“I think we’re just in a world right now where there was a huge and understandable freeze-up when the pandemic hit and a lot of productions were put on hold,” producer and president of production at Seven Bucks Productions Hiram Garcia told TheWrap during a recent interview about NBC’s “Young Rock” series. “Now that the industry has really roared back, the pipeline for VFX is so jammed. Obviously all these superhero movies just require so much VFX, and we’re just in a situation where the majority of the VFX houses are just completely swamped with work.”

Garcia pointed to other high-profile blockbuster delays (like “The Flash” and “Aquaman 2”) as further examples of how the VFX backlog is impacting the industry, especially when it comes to tentpole films. “I think that’s why you saw seismic shifts across the board, and you continue to see those giant properties just moving further down the line. And it’s just a matter of the vendors being able to accommodate the amount of VFX they have to do, the shots that have to be done.”

“They’re busting their ass and we’re so grateful for all those VFX houses,” Garcia added, while expressing optimism for the near future. “It feels like things are starting to calibrate and I think you’ll start to feel less shifts down the line.”
“Black Adam” will open in theaters – with completed VFX – on October 21, 2022.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Comic-Con 2022 Panel Schedule For Film & TV: Saturday Serves Up ‘Black Adam’, ‘Shazam! Fury Of The Gods’, ‘House Of The Dragon’, MCU & More
By Anthony D'Alessandro, Patrick Hipes   July 9, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/07/comic-con-2022-scheduled-film-tv-panels-1235059088/ 

SATURDAY, JULY 23
10:15 a.m. – Warner Bros. theatrical session with Black Adam and Shazam: Fury of the Gods.
Panelists: Star Dwayne Johnson, Black Adam director Jaume Collet-Serra, Zachary Levi and more. New Line Cinema. Hall H.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Dwayne Johnson Reveals How Black Adam Will Change The DCEU's Future
BY RICHARD FINK     PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/black-adam-dceu-future-impact-dwayne-johnson-response/ 

Speaking to Screen Rant during the WB press line at SDCC, Johnson teased how Black Adam will impact the future of the DCEU. While the actor has hinted at how his character will change the franchise's hierarchy, he also touched upon how he will affect its tone and story. Johnson said:

"That footage is a reflection of our tone. That footage is also a reflection of our director's vision, who wanted to create something that was different; who wanted to create a movie that was disruptive. But also he wanted to create a movie that would start the pendulum swing in the DC universe. In addition to the hierarchy of power that I've been talking about, this pendulum swing [will] usher in a new era of the DC Universe. A new antihero era; a new era of tone, and a new era of story. And also, it's this incredible opportunity that we have at Seven Bucks Productions for Black Adam's storytelling to build out the DC Universe with disruption and with respect. Listening to the fans, because they'll always guide you."

Edited by tv echo

Everything we're excited about for Fall 2022
By Sam Barsanti, William Hughes, Saloni Gajjar, Matt Schimkowitz, Gabrielle Sanchez, Tim Lowery, Luke Y. Thompson, Mark Keizer, Jack Smart, Mary Kate Carr, Peter Helman, Hattie Lindert, Drew Gillis, Jennifer Lennon, and Cindy White   September 6, 2022
https://www.avclub.com/fall-preview-2022-film-tv-music-games-1849471619
https://www.avclub.com/fall-preview-2022-film-tv-music-games-1849471619/slides/7

Black Adam
Release date: in theaters October 21

Will Black Adam actually change the hierarchy of power in the DC Universe? Maybe, but only if new Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav allows it. With Zaslav’s recent bloodbath at HBO Max and the cancellation of Batgirl, the DCEU is in a precarious spot. Still, it’s hard not to get wrapped up in star Dwayne Johnson’s relentless enthusiasm for his passion project. And who doesn’t want to see Johnson run around in that skin-tight, padding-free costume? [Jen Lennon]

31 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Dwayne Johnson and the Cast of ‘Black Adam’ on Fighting Each Other and Bringing the JSA to Life
Fandango All Access   Sep 29, 2022

Ohhhh YUMMMMMYYYYYYYY! Pierce FINALLY shaved off that beard and he looks SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!!!! That smile, those dimples...

and some other stuff...my oh my oh my....💗🥰😍💕💗

You'll have to excuse me while swoon some more....

(edited)

Dwayne Johnson Talks Black Adam End Credits Scene (Exclusive)
Entertainment Tonight    Oct 10, 2022

DC’s ‘Black Adam’: First Reactions to Dwayne Johnson Superhero Film From New York Premiere
BY ABID RAHMAN    OCTOBER 12, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/black-adam-first-reactions-premiere-1235240454/

‘Black Adam’ First Reactions Call Dwayne Johnson Antihero Movie a "Brutal," "Adrenaline Fueled" "Game Changer
BY MARCO VITO ODDO    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://collider.com/black-adam-reactions-reviews-is-it-good-dc/

Black Adam Reviews: Critics Share Mixed Reactions to New DC Movie
By RIchard Nebens   October 13, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/black-adam-reviews-critics-dc-movie

First Black Adam Reactions Pour In
By Mike Cecchini   October 13, 2022
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/first-black-adam-reactions-pour-in/ 

Edited by tv echo

Black Adam Actor Teases Hawkgirl’s Future Debut In the DCEU (Exclusive)
By Klein Felt   October 14, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/black-adam-hawkgirl-dceu-exclusive  

According to Black Adam's Hawkman actor Aldis Hodge, there may be a bigger reason why Hawkgirl was cut from the film's Justice Society of America team. 
The Direct: “It had previously been revealed that Hawkgirl was going to be in the movie. Because you two are usually a package deal in the comics, if she were to factor into this movie, how would that have changed things up?”

Hodge: “Oh, I actually can’t speak to that, her factoring into the film story-wise, because… Yeah, I can’t speak to how it would factor into the film aside from the fact that it would still be awesome. It would be amazing, but her not being there is intentional. We have room to grow, so however we are allowed to go further and we can explore different avenues, hopefully that is one of the avenues that we do get to touch on. But everything has a meaning and a purpose."
Star of Black Adam Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has spoken about the character showing up before saying she was in an earlier version of the film, but her exclusion "opened up the door for another awesome opportunity for another actress to come in and crush the role of Cyclone:"

"Hawkgirl was 100% in our original JSA team. Sadly, it’s a complicated story I’ll share w the fans down the road. But it opened up the door for another awesome opportunity for another actress to come in and crush the role of Cyclone. I believe it all works out how it’s meant to"

9 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The trailers look great but, who knows? So many of their trailers look awesome abd the movies fall short. 

I don't care how crappy the movie ends up being. As stated up thread, I'm watching for Remington Steele Pierce Brosnan! I mean, Oded Fehr was AWESOME as Dr. Fate in the animated universe, but my GOD. Pierce is PERFECT for the live version.

Hell, I'll watch Pierce in anything.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:32 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't care how crappy the movie ends up being. As stated up thread, I'm watching for Remington Steele Pierce Brosnan! I mean, Oded Fehr was AWESOME as Dr. Fate in the animated universe, but my GOD. Pierce is PERFECT for the live version.

Hell, I'll watch Pierce in anything.

I always liked Dr. Fate as a kid and was fascinated by how he lived in that strange stone tower in Salem, Mass.   To this day I think of Dr. Strange as a poor man's Dr. Fate (who came first I don't know, was always a DC kid).  But not even the great Dr. Fate could convince me to sit through anything starring Duane Johnson. 

• Like 1

Angry Joe gave it a badish review,  said it was mediocre and devolved into typical DC CGI Fest. Also felt story was incoherent and as comic fans felt the movie went the wrong direction with Black Adam.

Spoiler

That being said, I'm assuming Henry Cavill is back as Superman because AJ was super happy about something spoilerish. I guess he was right in his prediction of a post credit scene appearance 

Average outing, falls into the pit of CGI and superhero tropes, one of the better DCEU movies . . . which isn’t saying much. Two takeaways:

1. Hawkman is officially a credible character. Dunno if he’s movie-worthy, though.
  2. I am prepared to believe that the word “yeet” originated from ancient Khandaq.

ETA: Adam was featured in Death Battle last month. His opponent: Apocalypse.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE RESULTS: BLACK ADAM IS DWAYNE JOHNSON'S BEST OPENING EVER
THE DC SUPERHERO FLICK GROSSED $67 MILLION – MORE THAN ANY OTHER DWAYNE JOHNSON HEADLINER – BUT DOES IT HAVE ENOUGH STAYING POWER TO SURPASS $200 MILLION?
by Erik Childress | October 23, 2022
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/weekend-box-office-results-black-adam-is-dwayne-johnsons-best-opening-ever/ 

When Aquaman opened to $67.8 million just before Christmas in 2018, the number was reported as basically OK. Less than Wonder Woman and Justice League that came before it, James Wan’s DC film ultimately went on to gross $335.1 million (Joker barely beat it a year later) and is still the highest-grossing film of any DC property with $1.14 billion worldwide. Black Adam has opened with an estimated $67 million. That’s a great number for Dwayne Johnson, because it’s the best number that he has put up as the top-billed talent. More than Hobbs & Shaw ($60 million), Jumanji: The Next Level ($59.2 million), and San Andreas ($54.5 million). Whatever may be thought about the movies themselves, Black Adam is the 10th film on his resume (as the star) to open to over $30 million. (Adam Sandler has 12. Tom Cruise has 11.) But is it a good number for DC and Warner Bros.?

Well if Black Adam turns out to be Aquaman then the answer would be unequivocally yes. If it turns out to be Shang-Chi that wouldn’t be such a bad number. But whatever it may be, it is likely that Johnson is going to need another $300 million or higher international haul for Black Adam to be a success. $309 million overseas was not enough for WB’s third Fantastic Beasts film, especially since it only made $95 million domestic. Black Adam, which has grossed another $73 million internationally so far, is going to need a 3.22 multiple just to reach $200 million, which has only been achieved by three films since 2020 that have opened to over $50 million (Top Gun: Maverick, Minions: The Rise of Gru, and Shang-Chi). Black Adam’s 40% with critics is similar to the theatrical version of Justice League (39%) and still higher than Suicide Squad (27%) and Green Lantern (26%). Those three films had final multiples of just 2.44, 2.43 and 2.19. Man of Steel had a 56% and a 2.49. Batman v Superman a 27% and a 1.99. Both Justice League and Suicide Squad also had the B+ Cinemascore that Black Adam received. The $195 million budgeted film is the last one on Warner Bros.’ schedule for the year, and it could end on a sour note if the domestic numbers fall quickly. The only live-action film since 2007 to gross less than $27 million in its second weekend and still gross over $200 million was Jumanji: The Next Level. Keep that in mind as Black Adam enters its second frame.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Spoilers...

Black Adam Post-Credits Explained: ....
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   October 22, 2022
(The Direct article link)

Black Adam Producer Talks About That 'Frustrating' Mid-Credits Leak [Exclusive]
BY JENNA BUSCH     OCT. 21, 2022
https://www.slashfilm.com/1060968/black-adam-producer-talks-about-that-frustrating-mid-credits-leak-exclusive/ 

Spoiler

I recently spoke to "Black Adam" producer Hiram Garcia about the project and asked him about how the film's major mid-credits scene involving a certain, uh, Man with, uh, Super abilities leaked online early.

"Oh my God, it is so frustrating. You work so hard, but look, we understand that this ending and this dream, this family dream that we had to bring to life, we knew that it was going to have an effect on the fans that were just like, 'Oh my God!' We heard them begging for it for so long. We've been wanting it for so long. It's disappointing that it leaks. You hope that the fans that are so passionate about it really do their best to block it out so that they can go and get the movie and enjoy it."
"We've been working with Warner Bros. to try and get some of those things under control, but really, it spreads like wildfire. It's something you always know you have to deal with when you start testing the movie."

Edited by tv echo

I know I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more if the theater I was in had turned the volume down a bit.  I felt like they thought everyone is hard of hearing.  I also felt like it could have been split into a couple of movies.  I did enjoy Pierce Brosnan as Dr. Fate and Aldis Hodge as Hawkman.  I think my ears are still ringing.

• Love 1

The only character that I had ever heard of before watching was Hawkman. And he was one tough dude going in overmatched but still coming back for more. Amanda Waller showing up in the post credit to issue a threat and then Superman coming in with the "you don't know me but you better ask somebody" when Black Adam blew her off was gold.

Count me as part of the 88% and one willing to add this to his library when it becomes available.

Dr. Fate has been my favorite superhero for decades, so it was a very unexpected treat to see him rendered in live action by one of my favorite actors, whose performance was the best in the movie for me. Aldis Hodge was also good as Hawkman, and Sarah Shahi as Isis. I liked Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone and thought the visuals for her power were great, though she and Centineo didn't play that important a role in the narrative.

As for Mr. The Rock as Black Adam, meh. Wasn't impressed by the performance, and I've always wondered what people see in the character. Though I am grateful for the mid-credits scene, which I believe he's been pushing for within Warner Bros. for ages.

It went the way I figured it would.  Not anywhere as bad as some of the critics were making it out to be, but not exactly the game changer some hoping/claiming it was/would be online.  In short, it was a perfectly entertaining, mid-tier superhero film, but ironically probably my favorite this year (unless we're including The Batman here) since I wasn't wowed by the Marvel films this go around (so far.)  And, hilariously, it's probably in my top four out of the DCEU films, or at least tied with Aquaman (behind The Suicide Squad, Shazam!, and Wonder Woman), which just emphasizes that the DCEU really has nowhere to go but up at this point.

As a Dwayne Johnson fan, even I'll admit that he's someone who gets by with sheer charisma alone and won't ever be known for his acting chops, but he was solid as Black Adam, I thought.  If nothing else, it was fun watching him finally play a character with a little edge to him and while I doubt he'll ever go full villain, he at least can make him a solid anti-hero.  Still not a challenging role, but I think he made it work.

That said, Aldis Hodge and especially Pierce Brosnan were by far the highlights here.  As someone who never got into Hawkman (the less said about the Legends of Tomorrow version, the better), Aldis did an excellent actually making me like him here and buying him as a "rough around the edges" leader who didn't mince words, but still cared for his team.  As for Pierce, he made Doctor Fate one of my favorite introduction into the live action hero world and pretty stole every scene he was in.  That said, I had a feeling that if anyone was going to die, it would be him.  Can imagine this is the last we'll see of Doctor Fate, but I wonder who will assume the mantle?

Cyclone and Atom Smasher were fun too.  Added bonus was seeing Henry Winkler as the original Atom!

Fun seeing Sarah Shahi on the big screen after mainly knowing her for her television work.

The Amanda Waller appearances were fun, but between this and Peacemaker, I'm starting to think Warner Brothers just hired Viola Davis for a day to just sit in a room in front of a computer and do her lines for every DC feature coming up for the foreseeable future.

The action was pretty good and didn't hold back on the bodycount.  The humor was decent too: not obvious with it, but got a few chuckles when the time called for it.

Kid was kind of annoying.  And his big motivational speech near the end was a dud.

The main villain was unremarkable in every way.

New about the after credit scene going in, but the reveal was still pretty great.  Really hope Superman gets something worthy of him going forward.  Henry Cavill certainly isn't the problem, but he just needs some actual good material now.

Not surprised that the box office seems to be going the same way as the quality: a solid amount all things considering, but due to its massive budget, it might barely break even at best.  Still, I have to imagine it has enough goodwill to satisfy the higher-ups and give the DCEU a solid boost.

• Love 2
(edited)

Black Adam got 2 People's Choice Awards nominations...

2022 People's Choice Awards: Complete List of Nominees
By BRETT MALEC     OCT 26, 2022 
https://www.eonline.com/news/1351289/2022-peoples-choice-awards-complete-list-of-nominees 

THE MALE MOVIE STAR OF 2022
Brad Pitt, Bullet Train
Chris Hemsworth, Thor: Love and Thunder
Chris Pratt, Jurassic World Dominion
Daniel Kaluuya, Nope
Dwayne Johnson, Black Adam
Miles Teller, Top Gun: Maverick
Ryan Reynolds, The Adam Project
Tom Cruise, Top Gun: Maverick
THE ACTION MOVIE STAR OF 2022
Chris Hemsworth, Thor: Love and Thunder
Chris Pratt, Jurassic World Dominion
Dwayne Johnson, Black Adam
Elizabeth Olsen, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Joey King, Bullet Train
Tom Cruise, Top Gun: Maverick
Viola Davis, The Woman King
Zöe Kravitz, The Batman

Edited by tv echo

Ace Vane is one of my favorite YouTube people. In early June, he dubbed over a Shazam cartoon from the early Eighties. Basically, it's Black Adam sounding like classic Rock. Also: Uncle Dudley irritates Billy Batson. Lots of bad language. I found it hilarious.

Box Office Bust: ‘Black Adam’ Faces Theatrical Losses
By Rebecca Rubin    December 5, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/black-adam-box-office-100-million-loss-1235449487/ 

“Black Adam” has hardly been given a hero’s welcome in its box office run, generating just $387 million globally after seven weeks on the big screen.
As a result, the film needed to earn around $600 million worldwide to break even and to surpass that lofty benchmark to turn a profit, according to sources familiar with the financials. Yet box office experts believe “Black Adam” will stall out with less than $400 million globally, which is problematic since movie theater owners get to keep around half of those sales. Now, the movie stands to lose $50 million to $100 million in its theatrical run, according to the estimates of insiders as well as rival executives with knowledge of similar productions. Sources at Warner Bros. dispute those numbers, saying the movie will break even at $400 million. When the film was commissioned, the break even was believed to be $450 million, but that figure has dropped given the particularities of the new home entertainment landscape, one in which “Black Adam” has over-performed projections. They also argue that these ancillary revenue streams have grown more profitable with shorter theatrical windows. Thanks to pandemic era concessions, films hit home entertainment platforms in 33 days rather than 75, which reduces the money needed to revive marketing campaigns for a digital launch. With ancillary revenues, sources at Warner Bros. say that the film is poised to get into the black.

In any case, “Black Adam“ isn’t the financial winner that DC had hoped when the movie was greenlit in 2019. Theatrical may only be one component of profitability; there’s also TV and Pay 1 deals, but box office returns dictate those downstream terms. Even with premium video-on-demand sales, which could bring in an additional $25 million to $35 million, “Black Adam” isn’t looking like it will get out of the red by the time it lands on HBO Max.