Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: A Big Fat Disappointment

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

If PCOS causes obesity, why aren't  Victoria Beckham and Jillian Michaels obese?

They may be in the lucky 20% of women that don't suffer from weight gain with PCOS.  That or they work out all day and night, which I can believe with Jillian.

Whitney's weight gain may have started with PCOS but she probably also developed insulin resistance as a result of the weight gain, which makes it all too easy to gain weight and very difficult to lose.

• Love 7
On 10/8/2021 at 6:56 AM, mamadrama said:

I'm sure she has a lot of underlying health conditions we don't know about. In fairness to Whitney, though, there are many reasons why someone under 40 can get them, though: endometriosis of the bowels, ulcers, chronic lower digestive pain, chronic constipation, family history...

That said, they've really pulled the plug on her dance "career", haven't they? They're not even trying to pretend that she's still a "dancer" or that she's healthy. The first few seasons laid heavily into the HAES movement and how she could do "anything" a "normal sized" person could do. That whole pretense has been dropped.

Are WE the dummies here? We spent an hour watching a mean-spirited woman get a pelvic procedure and then listened as she talked on the phone. She appears to have no job (other than the ignored reality TV one), no social life, no real skills, and few realized prospects, and yet here I am tuning in every week anyway...

I get the feeling that she is starting to feel her age and that and her hidden medical conditions are catching up to her so that she isn't feeling as agile and able to handle all that she used to in terms of exercise and dancing, and that may be one reason all that has been dropped from the show.  I think her weak attempt at becoming a trainer is to make it look like she's still doing the exercise and is involved in something "healthy" but even that is a stretch for her now.

Remember early on when she brought her diabetic worries out on the show and went to doctors about that?  That was suddenly dropped, probably because she did become diabetic and didn't want to admit it to continue the charade of being healthy.  I think she is doing that with other conditions as well.

• Love 8
On 10/7/2021 at 9:48 PM, Maximadc said:

I know that only people with some very serious health conditions allowed to have colonoscopy without anesthesia. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wit has some underlying issues she doesn’t want to share with us.

I know people who have had colonoscopies without general anesthesia and have read that it is generally optional.  My mother had two colonoscopies without general anesthesia and had no issues.  I have read that most people who have it done without anesthesia would do it again.  I have also heard of people getting a local anesthetic just for the point of entry because once inside the colon has no nerve endings.  Even having polyps removed is pain free for that reason.  Some people opt for a mild sedative just to lower the psychological stress of thinking about what's going on while they're doing it.  That's pretty much the only reason they routinely put people under general anesthesia for it.

I had an upper endoscopy once without any anesthesia.  At that point I had never had general anesthesia and I actually had a phobia about it and was deathly afraid of it.  The doctor was OK with doing it and told me that at any time I could tell him to stop and reconsider getting the anesthesia.  I never needed it and was glad I didn't get it.  He told me that the only reason they give it is because a lot of patients have emotional and psychological issues with it, not for any medical reason or because of pain. 

A few years later I had to have surgery after breaking my arm and had no choice but to be put under general anesthesia.  I had it a few times in the next few years due to my gallbladder removal and other endoscopic procedures to remove gallstones from my bile duct and noticed that it took me longer to recover from anesthesia than the average person, so I definitely would consider doing a colonoscopy without anesthesia if I ever got one.  For now I do the "FIT" test which is like Cologuard.

It could be that Whitney avoided the general anesthesia because of underlying conditions and her obesity but I could totally believe that she is afraid of the general anesthesia like I was.  She probably has more reason than me to be afraid, although I have 25 years or so on her.  I had to push past my fear of it (I had no choice) but I would still look for ways to avoid it if possible.

• Useful 1

OK I am really questioning whether she considers the twilight sedation to be general anesthesia. I don't since there is no intubation and only an iv. Any colonoscopies I have had used mild sedation and they adjusted the dose so that I nodded off during part of the procedure but when the bf had it he was awake and watched the entire thing even though sedated. So I think that Whit's experience was more like that of the bf than mine.

BTW I am of normal weight but also avoid general anesthesia and novocaine if possible. I had two pins put in a broken wrist without general anesthesia. I had a fentanyl axillary drip and I although I could feel the pins being inserted and it hurt I didn't care because...fentanyl. After the first pin the physician asked if I wanted a little more and since it felt so good I readily agreed. Bad move, it was emergency day surgery and they wanted to discharge me at 5pm and all I wanted to do was sleep and then I felt really bad - the worst hangover of my life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've been skipping a lot of this season but I tried watching this episode when I caught it on rerun. After about five minutes of Whitney talking to Le Blur, I had to turn it off. I refuse to sacrifice any brain cells on this stupidity.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Colleenna said:

If PCOS causes obesity, why aren't  Victoria Beckham and Jillian Michaels obese?

PCOS does, in a majority of women who have it, cause issues with maintaining weight. Often a women with good eating habits and regular exercise will find it difficult to maintain her weight in a way she wouldn't if she didn't have PCOS. Not all women with PCOS have this issue. 

What PCOS does NOT do, is cause a 5'1" tall woman to be 350+ lbs. It causes excess weight and/or difficultly losing and maintaining ideal weight. It does NOT cause morbid obesity. 

The condition Whitney has is 'open mouth - insert food' disease with the 'lays in bed all day' variant. That is the condition that causes a 5'1" tall woman to be 350+ lbs. 

• Love 8
On 10/9/2021 at 8:33 PM, Snarkastikate said:

Yes, I agree, I also got a weird pregnancy vibe from her throughout the whole process.

What really aggravated me was her continual use of the term IVF to describe what she was going through.  She did not have IVF, because the final word stands for Fertilization, and there was no fertilization.  She did have the first two stages of IVF -- monitoring and stimulating her ovulatory process, and then removing an ovum or ova from their ovaries --, but without the sperm fertilizing part, she did not undergo IVF, as much as she desperately wanted to say that she did.

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

One of the celebrities profiled in that article, Rebecca Atkinson, said that she now manages her symptoms with improved nutrition. “Now I have a little bit of everything, but not too much fat or carbs. I rarely eat wheat and don’t eat fried foods or much sugar. I feel really well.”  I guess that only applies to Rebecca, and couldn't possibly happen for Whitney, cause, you know, her PCOS is special.  We know that she won't try, because, as she has told us, she will be triggered into disordered eating if the concept of any restrictions is brought up.  How convenient, but genuinely sad.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2