Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Lost & Found

Jane puts herself in the line of fire.

And loses this stupid storyline of a fetus, I hope.

I'd still rather the new showrunner have dispatched with that plot point as she did with the Maura/Frankie thing rather than feeling compelled to play out her predecessor's dumb idea (and turn it into some big, dramatic - probably cliché - moment) before getting back to the usual rhythm of the show, but I'll take anything that doesn't result in a baby.

I wonder if they are going to work Tasha into the show because she is back next episode. I liked the new homicide tech cop. I'm assuming that Jane lost the baby in the fight with the killer.

I think  Maura be a better foster parent for a person wanting to be a doctor.  If Jane is still pregnant, she has enough going on.  If she has lost the baby, she has that to deal with.  Bringing in a foster child seems a little 'been there, done that' move.

I like that they are slowly working the new detective into the squad, and that she connected with someone naturally.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode, which is awesome since I was afraid it would be terrible.  Angie did a great job, acting in pain while still comforting the girl and maintaining some of Jane's signature bravado.  I also really liked Maura and her new man.  And the baseball bit with Angela wasn't nearly as annoying as some of her scenes.

I really hope Maura's love interest doesn't turn out to be evil and try to kill her. He needs to stick around.

Excuse me while I go dig out my Dollhouse DVDs. I'll just be over...there.

• Love 5

This was an example of how situations we've seen a thousand times on television can still be gripping if we care about the characters.  I was really into everything that happened once Jane found the girl.

Having said that, though ...

It wasn't necessary to make that girl so utterly perfect for Jane - and us - to care about her.  I suppose next week we'll find out she reads to blind puppies in her spare time.

Maura - as a doctor and her best friend - would have known by her voice Jane was in pain, and asked her about it.  It wouldn't change anything in either's course of action for Maura to know Jane was likely suffering a miscarriage, so having her accept Jane's "I'm fine" just made her look daft.  As obvious as it was, it wasn't overdone, though; kudos to Angie Harmon for not over-acting any of it.

That vest was ridiculously short, and they even made a point of her pulling it down.

New Boyfriend needs to have a seat.  "I want to help."  Do what, Professor?  You're just wasting time.  I did like the three of them in the beginning, though, and loved Jane telling Maura to relax instead of spending the whole time wondering if they were enjoying themselves. 

That is the world's slowest elevator, and quite impressive in that it can continue to run after Jane cut power to the entire building. 

A hitman who can hit an eyeball through a peephole can certainly hit at least one of two downed targets, so the fact they were able to get back inside without being shot again was ridiculous.  I'd say maybe he's only good at close range, but he plucked the two of them off just fine with his first two shots.

The scene between Maura and Angela had an off vibe to me, almost awkward - it was if those two had never acted together before.  And is there anyone who didn't know a) Angela was going to clean the ball a little too well and b) it would turn out she'd bought a replacement dress?  No big deal, just quite predictable.

I'm sure next week will be one cliché and inaccuracy after another, but hopefully by the time it's over we're back to normal.

Edited by Bastet

I'm supposed to feel sorry for Jane and very proud of her, what with the "great price" she's paying for her 'heroism' in this episode, but all I'm feeling is annoyed.  She has put herself (and her unborn baby) in danger time and time again.  Really, what did she expect?  There's a reason pregnant police officers go on 'light' duty.

I know this new showrunner was stuck with the storyline and didn't want to have it be a cheat, but since they weren't going to make Jane a mom (like she is in the books), I'd rather have had the cheat, or one of the completely normal, nobody knows why it happened miscarriages, in episode 1.  Watching a stubborn Jane Rizzoli refuse to take any kind of precautions to protect her pregnancy, even after getting the wind knocked out of herself diving to the ground while being shot at, and then getting knocked to the ground in an explosion...you'd think maternal instinct would kick in at some point and she'd decide that the other detectives could handle the field work without her for few months.  I can't decide if she's an adrenaline junkie who needs to be part of the action, or if it's control freak, 'only way to guarantee it's done right is to do it myself' hubris.

Edited by anstar
  • Love 4

I was really involved in this episode.  I had a feeling that something was going to happen with the baby.  I was realizing I was nervous about half way through when I was hunched over watching with my hands on my face.  I have a feeling if that if they have Jane lose the baby in the next episode then I will be floored by the acting in that episode.  This cast can really do drama well. It's a light and fluffy show most of the time and I do like that, but when they bring the drama I am always left in a puddle of my own tears.

Also, I think Maura knew what was happening and so did Jane. That scene on the gurney being wheeled into the ambulance when she said "you did good, Jane" repeatedly it looked, to me, that they were both acknowledging something bigger. 

Regarding the  baseball and Maura's new boyfriend, during that scene my head went to a different space.  Last ep she was so crazy about him, but in this ep it seemed like she was more ambivalent.  Could be the writing, but it was almost as though they were setting up Jane and this guy to be together--had more in common, had a connection over lunch with Maura, etc.  And when Maura realizes that he gave her friend a family heirloom she wasn't at all jealous or acted put off.  She seemed just very distant-y and not in the Maura way.   Shrug.  Then they kissed at the crime scene and it was just removed from my brain until now.

Bottom line was, she never wanted the baby. If she did, she would be more careful. And also, every time the baby was mentioned, her reaction is always so negative.

There is no such thing as an accident when Jane is well over 30 maybe 35 in the series. She knew she would get pregnant having unprotected sex with Casey.

• Love 2

I thought maybe Maura wouldn't know about the baseball until Angela had it at her house to clean it. I was surprised when Maura acted like it was no big deal and already knew that the guy (can't remember his name) gave the baseball to Jane. That does seem like a weird thing to give to a friend of a friend. 

• Love 1

I think it would have been a great gift if he and Maura were a few years into an established relationship, but find it an extremely odd gesture when they've barely started dating.  The two long-term boyfriends my best friend has had each knew getting along with me was every bit as important as getting along with her family, and in fact that he'd spend more time with the two of us than with her and her family.  One came across an original script of a classic movie he knew I love and picked it up for me.  My best friend and I both really appreciated that.  But if it had happened earlier on in their relationship - and certainly if it had happened this early in the relationship - we'd have been creeped out by it.

The baseball thing, aside from Maura's boyfriends always being evil is what has me worried, really. I mean, does he just have enough balls laying around he can just give one to Jane*? I'm not a baseball fan, but if I had a signed anything I don't know if I would give it to a spouse as a gift, and it would still be around where I could see it. If I went to the trouble of getting it either by seeing the person in action and asking for them to sign, or buying it off ebay or something I'm not going to give it to the best friend of a person I have been seeing for a short while. (Not to mention Jane skipped out on meeting him how many times? I mean, sure, she's a cop but they cancelled like four times to meet.) I mean, did he win the lottery or is from money or something, because do professors (especially young ones) make enough to just give a $500 gift to a stranger? Because damn, so in the wrong profession.

It just screams "Hey guys, I'm completely not evil this time like all her other boyfriends because look at how cool I am giving this really expensive gift to her best friend!" to me. For all we know the ball was laced with some sort of contact poison and Angela saved Jane's life by getting half of the name off of it.  And given how some of the boyfriends have not only been evil, but evil genius mastermind, ink poison is the next logical step.

All that aside, I really do hope he sticks around. He's a great actor and should be in more things!

*Innuendo completely unintentional, but I'm keeping it there!

• Love 1
Bottom line was, she never wanted the baby. If she did, she would be more careful. And also, every time the baby was mentioned, her reaction is always so negative.

I believe this too which puzzles me. She doesn't want it, she doesn't want to talk about it and does nothing to be careful. So what is she clearly hoping to lose the baby? Then why not just go have an abortion and be done with it? 

Because she is a Catholic and she knows her mother would never forgive her. Jan Nash wanted this whole drama and definitely had set this season to be about Jane.

I mean one member of Maura's family shows up and its Paddy? And why? Then no mentions of Hope, Cailin or Constance and yet we are bombarded by Angela's annoying presence. She gets in everyone's business. Why the heck is she in every episode?

They're probably required to pay her even if she doesn't appear, and since she was nominated for an Oscar and multiple Emmys, I'm guessing she doesn't work cheap.

I will say this will all due sincerity:  as much as the episode was a mess of cliches, Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander did act the hell out of it.  It was a lot more engaging that it probably should have been, particular the scenes where Jane was sneaking around trying to stay a step ahead of the hitman at the same time that she was clearing having a miscarriage, and Maura essentially playing against nothing in that scene with the phone call.

Regarding the baseball and Maura's new boyfriend, during that scene my head went to a different space. Last ep she was so crazy about him, but in this ep it seemed like she was more ambivalent. Could be the writing, but it was almost as though they were setting up Jane and this guy to be together--had more in common, had a connection over lunch with Maura, etc. And when Maura realizes that he gave her friend a family heirloom she wasn't at all jealous or acted put off.

It sure looked like that to me. Weird.

That is the world's slowest elevator, and quite impressive in that it can continue to run after Jane cut power to the entire building.

Seriously. What was the point of showing Jane cutting the power and then showing the elevator still running? Edited by shapeshifter

To whoever said "there is no accidents" in regards to pregnancy, that is 100% NOT TRUE.  I can say from experience, as a 35 year old mother, accidents CAN and DO happen.

• Love 1

Yes pregnancy by accident to happen if you are past 30 but Jane who loves her job and never talked about wanting a child, that is just surprising that she did not take any precaution.

My sister got pregnant at 25 when she was married, working full time, on the pill, and had an IUD. She had an abortion.

Yes pregnancy by accident to happen if you are past 30 but Jane who loves her job and never talked about wanting a child, that is just surprising that she did not take any precaution.

We don't know what birth control Jane was using and nothing is 100% effective. 

Accidents happen. 

• Love 1

I guess accidents do happen but I just wish that since the pregnancy wasn't going to be full term and the plan was for her to lose, they should have had a false negative from the get go. Jane never wanted this baby. I never saw her happy about it and she never took care of herself.

• Love 1