Type keyword(s) to search

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

Current Release Date: May 6, 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder Set Photos Finally Reveal Christian Bale’s Villain
By Kirsten Howard    August 4, 2021
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/thor-love-and-thunder-set-photos-finally-reveal-christian-bale-villain/ 

That situation definitely changed this week! Principle photography may have wrapped on Thor: Love and Thunder back in June, but it’s been reported that some additional photography and reshoots are now underway stateside – and they’ve delivered a set of images that finally reveal Bale’s villain in all his glory.
In Taika Waititi’s fourquel, Chris Hemsworth will reprise his role as Thor alongside a stacked cast that includes Russell Crowe, Tessa Thompson, Natalie Portman, Chris Pratt, Matt Damon, Sam Neill, Jaimie Alexander, Pom Klementieff, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan, Sean Gunn, Jeff Goldblum, Vin Diesel and Melissa McCarthy.

“If you wrote down all the elements of this film, it shouldn’t make sense,” Waititi told Empire about the upcoming MCU entry. “It’s almost like it shouldn’t be made. If you walked into a room and said, ‘I want this and this and this.’ Who’s in it? These people. What are you going to call it? Love And Thunder. I mean, you’d never work again. Maybe I won’t after this.”

The director, who previously managed to inject a massive amount of comedy into his first Marvel outing, Thor: Ragnarok, promises there will be “far more emotion” in this new movie and “a lot more love.”

Pic of Christian Bale on set:

Spoiler

E76trvqX0AAXI35?format=jpg 

Loki cameo in ‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ confirmed – with a brilliant twist
Chris Smith     August 1, 2021
https://bgr.com/entertainment/loki-cameo-in-thor-love-and-thunder-confirmed-with-a-brilliant-twist/ 

Spoiler

While we have no idea whether Hiddleston shot any scenes for Thor 4, there is one Loki variant in the show. Well, it’s not a variant like the ones we saw in Loki. It’s Actor Loki from Thor: Ragnarok, who was played by Matt Damon.

We heard months ago that Thor: Love and Thunder would feature a few fantastic cameos in the form of actors playing Asgardians. Aside from Damon’s Actor Loki, we have Luke Hemsworth’s Actor Thor. And we also have Melissa McCarthy playing Actress Hela. That is just extraordinary.
Damon unexpectedly confirmed that he reprised his Actor Loki role for Thor: Love and Thunder during an interview with The Jess Cagle Show.

“I don’t know if it’s secret or not, though everybody knows I went down there to shoot,” Damon said. “I think they sussed out, because paparazzi took pictures of us, so that they sussed out what we were doing. We were kind of reprising a cameo that we that Luke Hemsworth and I did in the last one. And we had a ball, and so Taika [Waititi] had us back again, to kind of run that joke back and upgrade it a little bit.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Taika Waititi talks Free Guy, Star Wars and Thor
STEPHEN KELLY   August 11, 2021
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/taika-waititi-free-guy 

Two years on however, and Waititi is fizzing with energy. He has recently finished shooting Thor: Love and Thunder (originally delayed for five months by Covid) in Australia. The sequel is set to reunite Thor and old flame Jane Foster, played by Natalie Portman, and is meant to be the “craziest” thing Waititi has done. “What I wanted to do from the beginning was to ask: ‘What are people expecting the least from this franchise?’ Oh, I know – a full-blown love story!”
For Thor: Ragnarok, creative studio Satellite Lab developed Dynamiclight, a technique which uses a special rig to move the lighting at eight times the speed of sound. It’s what allowed Waititi to create the visually striking Hela flashback sequence, in which light moves rapidly over footage shot at 1,200 frames per second. In Thor: Love and Thunder, Waititi is excited about a new Satellite Lab technology called PlateLight, which uses the same principle (high-speed lights and slow-motion footage) to capture multiple lighting set-ups simultaneously within a single shot. “And then when you break down that footage into increments of 24 frames per second,” he says, “you have every single kind of lighting, all individually captured. So later you can choose your lighting in post-production.”

Waititi is also continuing his use of Industrial Light & Magic’s StageCraft technology, which he first used while directing the finale of The Mandalorian’s first season. It essentially allows filmmakers to generate reactive digital backdrops in real time (in front of the camera), through LED screens wrapped around a set. Waititi is a fan because, counterintuitively, it harks back to a more “old school” way of making films. “The actors can be in the environment; they can see what everyone else can see.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Natalie Portman on Summer Reading, Britney Spears, and the Scent of Love
BY LAURA REGENSDORF    AUGUST 30, 2021
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/08/natalie-portman-miss-dior-eau-de-parfum 

Some behind-the-scenes glimpses of Thor have made the rounds online. What kind of training have you undergone for the role? 
[Natalie Portman:] It was really fun. I worked with a trainer, Naomi Pendergast, for, I think it was, four months before shooting, and then obviously all the way through filming. We did a lot of weight training and a lot of protein shakes—heavyweight training that I haven’t ever done before. Of course, I’ve never really aimed to get bulky. It was very physical, so it was a lot of both agility work and also strength work.
You’ve had physical roles in the past, speaking of Black Swan. Now with Thor, how does that physical transformation shape your work onscreen?  
It definitely helps you get into character, and it’s definitely changed the way I move. You walk differently; you feel different. I mean, it’s so wild to feel strong for the first time in my life.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Thor 4 Designer Teases Costume Changes From Ragnarok
By Richard Nebens       October 11, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-chris-hemsworth-ragnarok-costume-changes 

Thor: Love and Thunder costume designer Mayes C. Rubeo spoke with the Designing Hollywood Podcast on what she hopes to bring to the sequel from a costumes and colors perspective.

Also having worked on Thor: Ragnarok , Rubeo expressed her excitement to bring so much color and excitement to Thor's world by "(doing) things differently." Not wanting to spoil anything for her next outing, she teased that the outfits are dependent on the film's script, as well as the "different worlds or different countries" explored in the script's pages:

"We were able to bring [Thor: Ragnarok's color palette and costume lessons to Thor: Love and Thunder's costuming]... I think there are always opportunities to do things differently. And obviously, we are dictated by the script and the situations of the script, and if there are different worlds or different countries, and stuff like that. It all comes with every single part of the script."

WANDA VISION - AVATAR - THOR RAGNAROCK COSTUME DESIGNER MAYES C. RUBEO EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW!
Designing Hollywood Podcast   Oct 1, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Marvel Studios' Director of Visual Development Andy Park also answered a question about Thor: Love and Thunder in this recent interview...

Andy Park Interview: Shang-Chi
BY JOE DECKELMEIER   PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO
https://screenrant.com/marvel-shang-chi-andy-park-interview/ 

The last question I have for you is I know that you're working on Thor: Love and Thunder. And look, I'm really excited about that film. I can't wait to see Natalie Portman reprise her role as Jane Foster.

Spoiler

We've got Christian Bale coming in as Gorr the God Butcher.

What can fans expect from the visual element so far from that film?
Andy Park:
I'm so excited too because got to work with Taika Waititi on Thor: Ragnarok. Just that whole experience of working on that film was... He shook it up. He shook up the whole franchise. To the point as a creator, even I was scared like, "Whoa, are we going too far?" That kind of thing.

But that's the whole history of Marvel Studios. They don't just rest on their laurels and just do the expected. They're always there. If you haven't checked it out, that new book, the story of Marvel Studios. You've got to check it out. It's a really good read. It just tells you the whole history of Marvel, Kevin Feige, and all the leadership.

There's a reason why there's been over a decade of successful movies and just why this franchise is growing. So Thor: Love and Thunder falls right into that where it's just pushing the boundaries of what's comfortable and what should be expected. You'll be surprised and push these characters and the visuals go along with that. I think he said it in some interview where he's just like, he's surprised that he's even... he shouldn't be allowed to make a movie like this. And I get it. This movie is crazy wild. It's so much fun. And I simply cannot wait for everyone to see it. Because it was so much fun to work on and design so many characters and do keyframes for. So it's going to be a good one. It's going to be fun.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Oh goody, Korg is front and center on the poster.

I might just wait until this comes to Disney+, which would make it the first MCU film I don't see in the theater.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
(edited)

Consistent with her look in above poster...

Thor 4: Tessa Thompson Looks Gorgeous in New Valkyrie Armor (Photo)
BY RICHARD NEBENS    January 3, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-tessa-thompson-new-armor-selfie 

Twitter user @ReginaBenavid18 shared what appears to be a selfie from Tessa Thompson in her new Valkyrie costume from Marvel Studios' Thor: Love and Thunder. Thompson's new threads have a black & white theme throughout, and she's also sporting braids with part of her head shaved on the side.

This look appears similar to the one seen on a leaked piece of merchandise that shows Valkyrie alongside Chris Hemsworth's Thor and Natalie Portman's Jane Foster.
Image_from_iOS_WQ1oCWd.png

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Frost said:

I don't read the comics so...does the prominence of the goats mean anything?  They seem an odd choice for the poster.

I know in the Thor mythology he has two goats that pull his chariot (Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr), and I think they might be in the comics as well.  In the mythology (turn away if you're vegetarian or vegan!) he can kill them and eat them if nothing else is available and, as long as he has all of the bones from them and they aren't broken) the goats will be alive and back to normal the next day.  I'm not sure if the goat on the movie poster are supposed to be the same ones from the mythology or not.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't like the poster. I get what they were going for but, I just don't like it. It's funny that one poster just killed my Interest

That's not the official movie poster. It's probably marketing for some of the merchandise. It would great if there was some context and/or info given with that photo. Where is it from?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Trini said:

That's not the official movie poster. It's probably marketing for some of the merchandise. It would great if there was some context and/or info given with that photo. Where is it from?

Oh, that's good to know because yikes 😂

• Love 2
(edited)

Unconfirmed...

Leaked MCU Poster Reveals Thor's Upgraded Suit Alongside New Avengers Team
By Savannah Sanders    January 7, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-thor-avengers-leak-new-team

Reddit user u/Ryantcairns shared a leaked poster of the Marvel Studios' Phase 4 heroes which include Spider-Man, Shang-Chi, Starlord, Okoye, Groot, and more. However, one of the most interesting aspects of this poster is Thor and Jane Foster in their new armor ahead of Thor: Love and Thunder.

avengers-phase-4-1_v163QGK.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

Unconfirmed...

Leaked MCU Poster Reveals Thor's Upgraded Suit Alongside New Avengers Team
By Savannah Sanders    January 7, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-thor-avengers-leak-new-team

avengers-phase-4-1_v163QGK.jpg 

Considering Peter is wearing the Iron Spider suit and wouldn’t put any stock in that as a leak. It’s probably just a random poster. Every little thing gets a click bait headline declaring it a leak. 

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

I've seen more amateurish posters, but not for movies that cost low 9 figures to make. It better be a fan effort.

The first one? At the bottom you can see the name Pyramid which is a wholesaler. It’s not fan art but it’s the type of licensed product you can find all over the place. It’s definitely not one Marvel will be using for promotions. 

The Avengers one is the same type that was found at a Game Stop. Licensed merchandise but not an official poster in the way people are assuming. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

Huh?...

W Magazine's Best Performances:
Tessa Thompson Has the Range

Interview by Lynn Hirschberg  01.13.22
https://www.wmagazine.com/culture/tessa-thompson-passing-thor-interview-2022

You also play Valkyrie in Thor. What are her skills?
She has weird skills, to be honest. She can sense when someone is close to death, and she takes them into Valhalla, which is essentially the afterlife. She can revive people. But when she revives people, sometimes she ends up in their body. It's a weird thing. It can be quite erotic. And then she has superhuman strength and is essentially God.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thor 4: Tessa Thompson Clears Up Comments About 'Erotic' Marvel Powers
By Richard Nebens    January 16, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-tessa-thompson-marvel-comments

Thor: Love and Thunder star Tessa Thompson took to Instagram to clarify comments she made previously about Valkyrie's powers in the upcoming fourth solo movie.

"In talking about Valkyrie to W Mag, I was talking generally about powers that are canon and that I loved in reading the comics and not Thor: Love and Thunder. I shan’t be a home for spoilers."

tessasthompson.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah, in the comics Brunnhilde has ended up sharing a couple of human women's bodies thanks to magic and resurrection shenanigans.

I wonder if they'll actually start using her real name instead of Valkyrie?

• Love 1
(edited)

How ‘Passing’ Star Tessa Thompson Explored the Many Layers of Identity
By Missy Schwartz | January 19, 2022 
https://www.thewrap.com/tessa-thompson-passing-thor-creed-valkyrie/

You’ve done projects of all sizes, but how did making an intimate project like “Passing” compare with some of your bigger films, like “Thor: Ragnarok” and the upcoming “Thor: Love and Thunder”? 
I would say that the universe of 23-day filmmaking and tiny rooms is probably the world that I feel most comfortable inside of. I feel really lucky to work on things that are big in scale and scope and to get to go between the two because fundamentally the work is always the same. The moments where I feel I’ve done my best inside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is when I really can believe in what my character is after, as absurd as sometimes it is. (Laughs)
Speaking of Valkyrie, she was the MCU’s first openly LGBTQ character. Is that exciting?
It’s totally exciting. We talk so much about representation and obviously, in terms of the LGBTQIA community, there’s still so much work to be done. But if you look at the comics in the canon, there are so many queer characters! It’s hard because Taika (Waititi, who directed both of Thompson’s “Thor” films) and I would’ve even liked to go further, but in the context of the movies, there’s only so much we can do. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of time invested in love stories in Marvel movies in general. I think that will be a little different on the new “Thor,” which is exciting. And getting to play a character that historically is not written for somebody that looks like me, all of that felt exciting.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

TT said that (as we already know from Avengers: Endgame) her character is the King of New Asgard, "so she's navigating her diplomatic duties, she's reunited with her friend Thor, and we've got the gang back together." She also said that she was "nervous" about spoiling anything when it comes to Marvel movies, so she could not say much about Thor: Love and Thunder...

Tessa Thompson On 'Passing' And The Next 'Thor' Movie
ET Canada    January 29, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

I've put the pics behind spoiler tags...

Thor 4: New Toys Reveal Natalie Portman’s Hero Using Superpowers (Photos)
By Jennifer McDonough    Feb 17, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-natalie-portman-superpowers-hero-toy-photos 

Two new Thor: Love and Thunder figures from Bandai were revealed as part of its S.H. Figurative line. These six-inch-scale action figures of Chris Hemsworth's and Natalie Portman's Thors come complete with detailed paintwork and a variety of accessories, some of which show off their thunderous abilities in action. 

Both figures are in scale with one another, with Hemsworh's Thor being taller than Jane. Also, notice the cracks visible on Mjolnir, indicating it has been pieced back together:
Both figures have a wire running through the hem of the cape for different poses:

Spoiler

7841F5F0-B847-4C1D-8D40-2F3EA13B0793.jpg

69D390A8-3DA1-4183-8C1B-8322D73E0F0F.jpg

2D0EBD2A-C469-467B-8AD1-26A24CEA596A.jpg

1F5DCDCD-870E-454A-A19F-5B4EF6AA6365.jpg

AE181A08-1517-4E19-954E-1C23D3E349B9.jpg

0E43F873-BB5A-4126-B0ED-5B9ADA63D1B2.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Thor: Love and Thunder director Taika Waititi talked about how to get a directing gig with Marvel...

How British Are Pamela Adlon & Taika Waititi?
The Late Late Show with James Corden   Mar 2, 2022

Corden: "When a film like Thor comes your way, what do you have to - what do you feel like you have to do to impress folks at Marvel to get such a huge - I'd be right in thinking that was the biggest budget you'd ever worked on? It was a jump to go and do it. What do you have to do when you're meeting the people at Marvel to have to impress them enough to get such a gig?"
Waititi: "Say 'yes.' Say 'yes' to everything."
Corden: "Just 'yes'?"
Waititi: "Just nod. 'Absolutely, I can do that.'"
Corden: "Right."
Waititi: "Uh. 'I won’t let you down.' You know."
Corden: "That’s it."
Waititi: "It's just like any job. If you want a job, you gotta lie. You gotta fake it."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Thor 4 Director Teases Sequel’s Similarities to Ragnarok
By Richard Nebens    March 3, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-sequel-ragnarok-similarities 

In an interview on The Playlist, Thor: Love and Thunder director Taika Waititi explained how his new MCU movie is similar in feel to 2017's Thor: Ragnarok.
Moving more specifically to the fourth Thor movie, Waititi admitted that there wasn't much of a difference between him directing this one from directing Ragnarok. Other than "a few different actors" coming into play, the scale and feel are all reminiscent of what he worked with the first time around:

“I don’t think there’s been any difference. I mean really, it’s a similar size and everything’s the same. There’s a few different actors, but the energy and the intention is all still the same.”
Even though Love and Thunder is a new story with an evolved Thor, the director didn't see many differences in his time working on this movie compared to his first. Of course, he'll have new stars and characters to work with, like Christian Bale's Gorr the God Butcher and Russell Crowe's Zeus, but the general experience doesn't appear much different than it was in 2017.

You can listen to the entire podcast here:
Taika Waititi & Rhys Darby Talk ‘Our Flag Means Death,’ ‘Thor: Love And Thunder’ & More [The Discourse]
The Playlist Podcast Network    March 3, 2022
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/taika-waititi-rhys-darby-talk-our-flag-means-death/id715084602?i=1000552837497 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Chris Hemsworth Kicks Off Thor 4 Promotion Ahead of New Trailer
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   April 4, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-chris-hemsworth-trailer-promotion 

Thor star Chris Hemsworth posted a new image of himself, Taika Waititi, and Tessa Thompson on Instagram to confirm that Thor: Love and Thunder's press tour has officially begun. 
"Some long lead press for Thor Love And Thunder with these two wonderful humans. A day full of wackiness and hilarity. Get ready folks this films gonna be wild!!"
Chris Hemsworth's latest confirmation that Thor: Love and Thunder's press tour has begun could hint that the film's official trailer will drop soon.

277804261_1139476966848821_4619208845862 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Marvel Fans Think They've Discovered Thor 4 Trailer's Release Date in a 'Hidden Message'
BY JON ARVEDON    APRIL 5, 2022
https://www.cbr.com/thor-4-trailer-date-hidden-message-marvel/ 

When the Thor: Love and Thunder press tour kicked off, Chris Hemsworth shared a photo of himself, director Taika Waititi and Valkyrie actor Tessa Thompson having fun and throwing up excited hand gestures. Upon closer inspection, those hand gestures could be interpreted as 11, four and 22, or the 11th day of April 2022.

FPllo1OWQAEle3o?format=jpg 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

New Marvel collectible action figures for Thor: Love and Thunder are a little spoilery...

Spoiler

FB_IMG_1649543159709-1024x891.jpg 

The wave, which features 7 MCU-based characters and a Korg build-a-figure, gives fans their first detailed look at the villain as well as noting that Thor’s “Thunderstrike” costume will be referred to as “Ravager Thor.” It also features “King Valkyrie”, Star-Lord, Groot, Jane Foster’s Mighty Thor and the new Thor armor that has been present in much of the marketing for the film to date.

(source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thor 4 Trailer Receives Exciting Update From Chris Hemsworth Voice Actor
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   April 11, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/thor-4-trailer-chris-hemsworth-voice-actor

Gaurav Chopra, who serves as the Hindi dub actor of Chris Hemsworth, shared a new Instagram story to give fans an update about the highly-anticipated trailer for Thor: Love and Thunder. 

In the post, Chopra confirmed that he is "done" working on the trailer, sharing an image of a dubbing studio where he recorded Thor's trailer lines in Hindi: 

mrgravitas.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Looks like fun.  I've enjoyed every Marvel movie to date, some more than others, but after how heavy Spider-Man: No Way Home was and how heavy Dr. Strange looks, I'm looking forward to something a bit lighter. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 9