Type keyword(s) to search

The Winchesters Anticipation

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Lastcall said:

Jensen does not have to invest a lot of time being on the show. If he is on screen, it will be for a minute or two tops. Thats the equivalent of a one episode guest shot on a tv series. He could film all of his scenes for the season in a week or two and New Orleans is way closer than all the shows he use to work on. It's very possible he could be on screen in every episode if he wants.

The thing is that Jensen is a regular on Big Sky next year.  That films in New Mexico and The Winchesters is supposed to be filmed in New Orleans.  I don't see how he will have time to go back and forth.   I know he seems to have endless stamina, but between The Winchesters, Big Sky, Chaos Machine, cons and whatever else he has going on, he can't keep that up for 9 months.      Scripts in broadcast television often don't come out until a week before shooting starts so its not possible to film all this scenes at once no matter how short they are.  So I think the narration will be more like Young Sheldon, with Dean appearing in the first episode.  I don't see that as a PR stunt, but more of a tone setter and point the show in the direction it wants to go.

As for the wording, it could just be as simple as Dean needs a mission because he's bored driving around waiting for Sam.   Dean have never been one to be idol.  Those statements can mean a lot of things. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, MAK said:

IA, he continuously points out that he will be narrating only. Why would one assume that he will be on-screen even semi-regularly?

All of those interviews were before the trailer was released. That's why seeing Dean was such a surprise. There was no indication we would see him much less that he was on a mission. The only information we have gotten about Dean is that it is tricky for Sam to narrate because of where they are in the timeline. If there is something Jensen has said after the trailer that elaborates on it all I would love to see it. I would love to have a concrete answer, so I don't get my hopes up all summer, but the trailer Jensen released was meant to get people excited so they can't miss the premier. Dean is there for a reason. 

And I really don't understand why people think Jensen has to be on set every week the show is filmed for a one-minute intro, particularly when it could be Dean looking intense driving Baby with a voice over. He could film the entire season in a week if he wanted to be in every episode.

44 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

And I really don't understand why people think Jensen has to be on set every week the show is filmed for a one-minute intro, particularly when it could be Dean looking intense driving Baby with a voice over. He could film the entire season in a week if he wanted to be in every episode.

Then this just ends up being stock footage.  And Jensen can't record the entire season in one week because it won't be written.  Most shows have an outline where they want the season to go but its not plotted to the very last detail.  something could happen in an early episode that they want to explore.  Ex, Cas was only supposed to be signed for 3 episodes.  So ended up being in a lot more.  So if someone was doing voice over work for that season, and they recorded it all upfront, a very important new plot point/character would be missing. 

I think the network asked Jensen to appear on screen to introduce  the characters to new audiences and for nostalgia for older fans.  I personally don't see it as a PR stunt because I think it serves a narrative purpose, but even if it was a PR Stunt those aren't necessarily a bad thing.

I never took the trailer as confirmation Dean will be on screen more often that not.  His Big Sky character has a beard and a longer hair style.  Jensen isn't a miracle worker that can grow it that fast if he's bouncing back and forth between the two shows.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

His Big Sky character has a beard and a longer hair style.  Jensen isn't a miracle worker that can grow it that fast if he's bouncing back and forth between the two shows.

Dean could decide to change his look and grow his hair and beard. Maybe he's hiding and doesn't want to be recognizable. 😁

(edited)
14 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I think the network asked Jensen to appear on screen to introduce  the characters to new audiences and for nostalgia for older fans.  I personally don't see it as a PR stunt because I think it serves a narrative purpose, but even if it was a PR Stunt those aren't necessarily a bad thing.

I never took the trailer as confirmation Dean will be on screen more often that not

IA 100% with this. 

And I don't think it's wise to get one's hopes up for more than this.

If we get it, great; if not, well maybe, just maybe, the new show and the new characters will be enough to keep the show going, and just like anything else in life, time will tell with that.

FWIW, keeping my hopes and expectations very low was pretty much how I watched the mothership after S8, and I stayed until the very end.

That said, and regardless of the entitlement issues(sorry, not sorry, but that's how I see it)of some in this fandom, I DO think that The Winchesters is going to go over very well with many younger viewers, old and new to the fandom.

Honestly? I truly think that it's going to be a hit for the network. 

Edited by Myrelle
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

If we get it, great; if not, well maybe, just maybe, the new show and the new characters will be enough to keep the show going, and just like anything else in life, time will tell with that.

IMO Mary, John and the new characters will be enough to keep the show going, because that's their story after all. The prequel success mostly depends on how Mary/John arc plays out.

FWIW, keeping my hopes and expectations very low was pretty much how I watched the mothership after S8, and I stayed until the very end.

I guess I'll take this advice, because I always get too excited about everything and mostly it doesn't end well for me. 

That said, and regardless of the entitlement issues(sorry, not sorry, but that's how I see it)of some in this fandom, I DO think that The Winchesters is going to go over very well with many younger viewers, old and new.

I hope they have something for older viewers too. 

Edited by Nick24
On 6/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, Lastcall said:

If Jensen did have a moment to film something and the schedules aligned...but I think it is more of, how does it add to the story?  Him showing up all the time might do more harm than good.

The story is about John and Mary.  So it depends how the beginning narrative is done on whether or not they needed him. 

There have been actors that they wanted to use and did as they would fit them in when they could work it out.  But there has also been the moment when they couldn't fit the schedules and they had to hire someone else.

I'm not expecting Jensen to be on the show all the time, so if I liked it and he did show up it would be a nice surprise.  But if you plan on him being part of it all the time, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. 

Yes, you could do some voiceover work that you slip in, but usually they only have a few scripts worked up prior to a show.  One voice over actor did an entire movie in one day of shooting which they usually thought would take a few weeks.  But it would require just coming in and doing the work without playing around.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

An article about the acquisition of the CW by Nextstar. It looks like the new owner will be steering it's content from teen drama to more adult themed shows. I don't know what this means for TW or GK but there have been rumors both shows might change filming locations.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nexstar-nears-deal-to-acquire-majority-control-of-cw-network-11656537393

Not unlikely by fall 23 the only programming on the CW is news and reality shows, nothing scripted.

At which point, which doesn't go to HBO Max or other networks/Streamers would be gone.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 6/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, Casseiopeia said:

I'm embarrassed vicariously for the person who asked that question. Sheer ridiculousness to think that JA doesn't remember like, the bare minimum about the show he was in for 15 years, and only the fans know this extremely central and obvious fact about John. 

Edited by Aithne
  • Sad 1
  • Love 6

So Jensen answer the question of his participation in The Winchesters in this short interview at the Zombies 2 premiere. Definitely not in every episode, probably not even in most.

"I'll be doing some voice on it; you might see me from time to time."

I  love his response to the rather dumb question about "Supernatural".

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

It seems like there is going to be some really unexpected way of storytelling involving timelines. Also I'm wondering, what could they possibly do to make all Johns appear in one episode. Heaven!John temporary resurrection in the past? Or young!John timetraveling to the future and meeting his older self? Or both? Interesting...

https://ew.com/tv/jensen-ackles-wants-jeffrey-dean-morgan-on-the-winchesters/

Edited by Nick24

I don't think they're having all of that in the show, at least not now. On the podcast, Jensen said that that is an awesome idea to do like a Spiderman multiverse scenario, but since he's no writer, he's going to talk to one about it. He only seemed semi-serious about doing it further down the line. At least that's what I understood. 

• Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, MAK said:

I don't think they're having all of that in the show, at least not now. 

Anyway, their ideas sound very intriguing, which means that the show will be written in a creative way. 

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 1

Apparently one of the writers they hired(can't remember his name) used to work on Fringe and I believe that show involved alternate timelines, and all sorts of weird stuff.  

I think they are going to make full use of a lot of that stuff.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I am way more interested in/excited for this show than I ever expected to be. I can't wait to see what they came up with.

I know what you mean. Back when it was announced, I thought "prequel-parents? really?" - and I think Badd`s year left a super-bad taste for the Mary-character in my mouth, yikes - but hearing the premise, I found it intriguing. And actually wondering how they work it all in. I am confident that Jensen and Robbie can manage a lot better than "lol!canon". 

Now I was kinda mixed on the initial trailer but trailers can be quite misleading. The Carlos character seemed like a hoot and a half, though.

The Winchesters is highly likey to be the only new US show I`m trying out this fall Season.   

• Love 6
On 7/11/2022 at 1:58 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

So Jensen answer the question of his participation in The Winchesters in this short interview at the Zombies 2 premiere. Definitely not in every episode, probably not even in most.

I  love his response to the rather dumb question about "Supernatural".

That's kind of what I figured it would be.  Dean shows up at first to set up the voice over framing mechanism and explain why this story is happening, and after that he just does voice over with the occasional appearance.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'll give it a shot.  Not a big Horror fan so will see what they do.  I will admit after hearing Jensen talking about giving the fans what they want, just not how you'd expect it to be.  I got more interested.

I did laugh when I saw his response. "Of course we aren't throwing out 15 years of history, wait till you see it and I think you'll like it."  Not exact words, just a summary.  :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, 7kstar said:

I'll give it a shot.  Not a big Horror fan so will see what they do.  I will admit after hearing Jensen talking about giving the fans what they want, just not how you'd expect it to be.  I got more interested.

I did laugh when I saw his response. "Of course we aren't throwing out 15 years of history, wait till you see it and I think you'll like it."  Not exact words, just a summary.  :)

I feel like this is something important to get across. I've seen a lot of people really upset that "John didn't know Mary was a Hunter OMG they're completely throwing away the whole of SPN!!" And far too many prequels do play way too fast and loose with what comes before without bothering to tie it back in. 

There are plenty of ways what happens in this series could end up being forgotten, John's memories tampered with or even technically never happen, the latter not being my favourite trope. 

I'm looking forward to this more than I thought I would and it seems like it could get quite creative. And I'm all for shows set in different eras on network TV, especially on the CW (still cannot believe Reign not only got picked up but lasted 4 seasons). 

Although one petty quibble is that I saw someone comparing the poster to The Vampire Diaries and now I can't unsee it. It's very basic CW. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

People seem to forget that "playing fast and loose" with canon is actually canon as far as SPN is concerned. 

Those who keep saying that "they are sh!tting on canon" never seem to elaborate on how beyond "oh they are going to do a mind wipe" which is canon. It might not be the best storytelling technique, but it's still canon.

As long as Mary ends up on the ceiling on 11-2-83,  how does anything change in SPN? 

Edited by MAK
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

I'm really getting sick of all that complaining about canon.

SPN has no canon. Period.

Either all those people haven't watched Dabb's seasons (it seems like most of them have) or I don't know what's going on.

Edited by Nick24
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

We already know that John and Mary were subjected to several angelic mind wipes, although I doubt they'll only rely on this. 

The idea that John knew nothing until Mary's murder and then took up Hunting in grief and rage is pretty potent but it's not a be all and end all of plot points for me. 

Worry about a prequel (or sequel) series is pretty common even when there's source material (just look at some corners of the Tolkien/GOT fandoms right now) so I get that and I get that a John/Mary series will not be everyone's cup of tea. And I get that being framed by Dean will not be everyone's cup of tea either but I think some of the anger/angst in some places (not here) is a little OTT. 

I am going to be really interested to see who watches it, both in terms of SPN fandom and to see if it picks up any newbies. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

That writer from ''Fringe'' is David H. Goodman according to Rotten Tomatoes. 

It seems like he's also one of the EPs of the prequel. He was also writing for ''Without a Trace'', ''Once Upon a Time'', ''Emergence''.

Edited by Nick24
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

A writer from Fringe doesn't necessarily mean they're going to go full on parallel universe/alternate timelines/flashforwards/possible outcomes but it does lend credence to those theories. And if they are thinking about playing with some of those things it's good to have someone on board who knows how to stick those landings on a network show. He also wrote some good eps for OUAT as well as some clunkers but to be fair I thought most of the later seasons were clunkers in general. 

I watched In the Beginning today for the first time in years and that John and Mary are surprisingly awesome compared to the dreck later (also so is Mitch Pileggi as always). I know it's 15 years later but I wouldn't mind Matt Cohen and Amy Gumenick popping up for guest spots in this show, either as other characters or alternate older versions of the characters. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 8/20/2022 at 5:09 AM, Nick24 said:

That writer from ''Fringe'' is David H. Goodman according to Rotten Tomatoes. 

It seems like he's also one of the EPs of the prequel. He was also writing for ''Without a Trace'', ''Once Upon a Time'', ''Emergence''.

Thanks I never could remember his name after I looked it up the first time. LOL

the first few years of OUaT was really good so hopefully they have strong writers.

I've been watching shows that I had watched or started and most of them start to fail around the 3 season.  A few have bombs in the 2nd season...but they need a strong character story for each character.  If you have a strong female you also need a strong male to balance off on.  Many of the newer Tv shows get boring fast as they prop up X and it isn't interesting to watch a Mary sue win all the time.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, 7kstar said:

the first few years of OUaT was really good so hopefully they have strong writers.

I've been watching shows that I had watched or started and most of them start to fail around the 3 season.  A few have bombs in the 2nd season...but they need a strong character story for each character.  If you have a strong female you also need a strong male to balance off on.  Many of the newer Tv shows get boring fast as they prop up X and it isn't interesting to watch a Mary sue win all the time.

I don’t think Jensen would be too keen on a show where John is a bumbling idiot and loser. He likes the character too much. John will be the noob at hunting but I don't think he will be the total butt of the joke.

Now I know he isn't the showrunner or really creatively imvolved but I do believe enough of an oversight to have a "don't ruin the characters" mandate.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
On 8/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, 7kstar said:

If you have a strong female you also need a strong male to balance off on.  Many of the newer Tv shows get boring fast as they prop up X and it isn't interesting to watch a Mary sue win all the time.

I wish people said stuff like this about shows with only strong male characters. The amount of Gary Stus we'd be complaining about would be astronomical. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Aithne said:

I wish people said stuff like this about shows with only strong male characters. The amount of Gary Stus we'd be complaining about would be astronomical. 

Heh, yeah. In SPN there was a lot of propping of certain characters and none of them were female. Much as I enjoyed early seasons of The Flash the writers had a habit of Barry not just getting pep talks from his own team but characters from other shows talked about how he was the purest hero or whatever. 

In the context of the original remark about OUAT. IMO that show stumbled because it propped Regina but not because she was a woman who was a Mary Sue but because she was a villain. But we're told she was the biggest woobie victim of all time and all *her* victims totally deserved her wrath because they were mean to her and didn't want to eat her lasagne. But she still was shown doing awful things (like genocide!) that get glossed over almost every ep. 

The phase Strong Female Character has a lot of baggage around it in part because the mostly male writers in Hollywood (maybe until recently) only knows how to write one of those - basically a man with boobs who can do everything but have feelings. So many other female characters boil down to the Love Interest or Girl Friday and so many (not all) male writers have no idea what to do with them. 

With The Winchesters Mary looks to be the physically and probably emotionally dominant one in the pilot because she's the Hunter and John is the overwhelmed newbie who is just finding out about this entire world and his history with it. And also dealing with coming home from the war. But that doesn't mean it will stay that way. I think they'll balance each other out. 

I assume they're also trying to create a contrast with later John and all his many flaws. 

I hope Carlos is *just* the comic relief as well. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Heh, yeah. In SPN there was a lot of propping of certain characters and none of them were female.

What about Charlie? Robbie Thompson was propping her up at the expense of the brothers IMO.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

New trailer is out from Entertainment Tonight. Lots more interesting stuff and ET reports that the "It's time to let the past go" line was spoken to Dean so whatever is going on, its more than just a narration. An actress filmed a scene with him. Add to that the interview where Jensen said we would see Dean from time to time. This fits with the theory that Dean is in Heaven. Dean wants to find out about John and Mary for some reason and a woman (maybe an Angel) tells him to let the past go. 

• Useful 1

Here's the link.

Not a huge amount of new scenes but apparent confirmation that Dean is talking to someone. I wonder if there's a reason that Dean is looking into the "truth" about his parents other than being curious and wanting something to do in heaven? 

The woman is right, heaven would be the place to let the past and earthly pain go, in theory at least. 

A love story with blood, guts and monsters would make a pretty good tagline. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I wonder if there's a reason that Dean is looking into the "truth" about his parents other than being curious and wanting something to do in heaven? 

The woman is right, heaven would be the place to let the past and earthly pain go, in theory at least. 

Well, for some reason Dean doesn't seem happy or relieved. He looks worried. Apparently, wherever he is, this isn't all sunshine and rainbows. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just really hope the time stamp for Dean's mission isn't Heaven. That would kind of ruin the original story for me. No matter how much I didn't enjoy the last 3 seasons, the one positive I take is that Dean wasn't alone for 40 years/months/weeks/days in Heaven. He drove around for max 40 minutes. I also, cannot envision him visiting his parents, or partying, or just holing up in a cabin for years/months/weeks/days until Sam shows up.

The missin, IMO, should be somewhere when Sam is missing, held captive, in the cage, whatever. 

Since Dean is obviously older, maybe it's when Mary first comes back and Sam is taken by the BMoL? He could be talking to Mary in the trailer. The only thing that doesn't mesh with that is the old license plate on the Imapla. 

IMO, if it takes place when the brothers are together in canon, than it doesn't make any sense for Dean to be alone in this quest. 

I'm really curious about it now.