Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12 Father Time

• Start Topic

As ViCAP finally gets the green light to raid Alastor Pharmaceuticals, Clarice punches another FBI agent in a moment of rage, then willingly turns in her badge and gun. Also, the rest of the ViCAP team uncovers the whole truth about the River Murders, and Clarice unwittingly puts herself in mortal danger.

So Nils is even more twisted than we figured and Ty is right there with him.

I know it's 1993, but could a FBI agent really get away with talking like that racist douche? And AG's pet or no, Clarice would've gotten sat down immediately.

• Love 4

I should have known that Nils wouldn't "just" be some corrupt corporate creep with a conspiracy he's willing to kill to hide who's got an intense interest in Greek mythology, he's also the kind of guy who has paintings commissioned made with his own blood and the tissue of his miscarried babies, which is impressively gross even by the standards of this franchise. And it looks like his son is right there with him. "Its not illegal, but its too weird not to investigate." 

Clarice would have certainly gotten in trouble for punching the smug jerk agent even if she's the agencies poster girl, more than just having to go see her therapist again. It looks like Clarice is remembering her dad not only being corrupt but also so cowardly that even the criminals he's dealing with think he's a scumbag for involving his daughter, she might even see her dad getting shot. Ouch, that's going to hurt a lot, no matter what exactly we find out we know it wont be good. 

Nice that they gave Kal Penn more focus this week after he was gone for awhile. 

• Love 5

Clarice certainly has to work with some disgusting FBI men.  That guy peeing in the bottle with his hand on her shoulder.  He should have been the first one to get a fist in the nose.  

• Love 7

I don’t really like Clarice’s therapist. She should be listening and not insisting that Clarice already has the memories; she couldn’t know that. I didn’t really understand her flashbacks. So her father had her hand over money while he stood a few feet away? Doesn’t make sense. I never liked law enforcement shows where the lead threatens to quit or is threatened with being fired constantly. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I should have known that Nils wouldn't "just" be some corrupt corporate creep with a conspiracy he's willing to kill to hide who's got an intense interest in Greek mythology, he's also the kind of guy who has paintings commissioned made with his own blood and the tissue of his miscarried babies, which is impressively gross even by the standards of this franchise. And it looks like his son is right there with him. "Its not illegal, but its too weird not to investigate." 

The stuff with the paintings was so freaky. I liked the team studying and talking about them as they did throughout. 

• Love 4

So now Clarice is analyzing her psychiatrist? I liked the psych up til this week, but that was just weird.

Rebecca Breeds is 5'3" and a twig-I don't care what kind of combat training, etc., she's had; she couldn't deck a much larger man with a single punch. I'm disturbed by all the shows now that have tiny women hitting men; somebody is going to get hurt and it almost certainly won't be the man. (btw, I didn't realize Breeds is 34, I thought she was 10 years younger).

Was Sheriff Starling crooked in the original book? I don't understand or like this plotline.

Kal Penn is getting kind of portly.

So now dumdum is going to let somebody connected to a terrible criminal conspiracy into her (lavish, btw) apartment. She just doesn't learn.

Also don't understand why the FBI Black Coalition/whatever is complaining about Clarice not getting fired after hitting the other agent. Unless they've got a case of a black agent hitting somebody and being fired, it doesn't seem relevant. If anything, it suggests the FBI brass are bending over backward to protect a woman over a man. 

• Love 2
On 6/18/2021 at 9:41 AM, AimingforYoko said:

I know it's 1993, but could a FBI agent really get away with talking like that racist douche? 

An FBI agent can get away with that in 2021..... 

On 6/19/2021 at 11:21 AM, sempervivum said:

Rebecca Breeds is 5'3" and a twig-I don't care what kind of combat training, etc., she's had; she couldn't deck a much larger man with a single punch. I'm disturbed by all the shows now that have tiny women hitting men; somebody is going to get hurt and it almost certainly won't be the man. 

Seriously? Do some reading up on physics and, well, women. 

• Love 5
On 6/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, sempervivum said:

Rebecca Breeds is 5'3" and a twig-I don't care what kind of combat training, etc., she's had; she couldn't deck a much larger man with a single punch. I'm disturbed by all the shows now that have tiny women hitting men; somebody is going to get hurt and it almost certainly won't be the man.

Not trying to be mean here, but that is a blindingly huge overgeneralization.  Is simple size and body mass the primary overriding factor in a fight?  Sure, if the smaller - or both - of the two parties are relatively unskilled at fighting.  That’s not the case in this context, though; you’re talking about an FBI agent who has presumably had at least a baseline training in hand-to-hand combat, and quite possibly extensive training beyond the baseline.  A skilled and disciplined application of force can represent a significant advantage against an opponent, regardless of their size.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Sure, if the smaller - or both - of the two parties are relatively unskilled at fighting.  That’s not the case in this context, though; you’re talking about an FBI agent who has presumably had at least a baseline training in hand-to-hand combat, and quite possibly extensive training beyond the baseline.

Unless I'm not remembering the plot correctly, the guy she decked was also an FBI agent, no? Presumably also similarly trained. Of course, she had the advantage of surprise.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Unless I'm not remembering the plot correctly, the guy she decked was also an FBI agent, no? Presumably also similarly trained. Of course, she had the advantage of surprise.

It wouldn't matter if he was trained. They weren't in a fight, he was standing there like the stupid lump of sh*t that he is, no doubt thinking like other misogynists that the little girl couldn't hurt him.

• Love 2
On 6/21/2021 at 10:06 PM, Grrarrggh said:

An FBI agent can get away with that in 2021..... 

Seriously? Do some reading up on physics and, well, women. 

It's '93. Put her in the ring with Tyson and she would lose. I'm surprised they didn't include her hand being hurt, which would have been realistic. But it's similar to characters always falling to their deaths and still being beautiful when they hit the concrete. I do believe he deserved that hit, but it was pure fantasy given it's a TV show. 

(edited)
23 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

Put her in the ring with Tyson and she would lose.

Put almost anyone, male or female, in the ring with Tyson and they would lose. I don’t know what that has to do with her being able to suckerpunch someone who wasn’t expecting it. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 3

That being said, she drew back for a roundhouse punch at him (I rewatched it), and any competent LEO would have seen that coming and blocked or dodged it.  But that's how it's done on TV or the movies, to make a point.

22 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

That being said, she drew back for a roundhouse punch at him (I rewatched it), and any competent LEO would have seen that coming and blocked or dodged it.  But that's how it's done on TV or the movies, to make a point.

If recent history has proved anything it's that there are a lot less "competent LEOs" than television would have us believe. So, in this case TV was reflecting reality, not a twisted All Male (White) LEOs Are Great fictional world. 

• Useful 2

Really not on board with shitting all over Clarice's dad -- a character who has been beloved and a source of inspiration for her in all iterations of this story up to now -- just so they can add yet another layer of trauma for Clarice to work through. Destroying a story element just so you can cannibalize it for some extra drama is one of my least favorite writing tricks.