Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Yum! I love a good gumbo. Did yours have okra?

As much as I love okra and have no problem eating it in gumbo when others make it, I don't put it in my gumbo.  I just depend on the roux and file to thicken it somewhat.  My seafood gumbo has lots of stuff in it, but my chicken gumbo is just a hen (gotta be a hen--for flavor), boiled  with some onion until tender.  I take the meat off the bones when it's cooled and strain the broth to get the onion and 'chicken bits' out.  I try to plan ahead so I can let the broth refrigerate overnight (the chicken is in a separate bowl) so I can skim a lot of the fat off the next day.  I make a dark brown roux with flour and canola oil, then add it to the heated up broth (with the chicken added).  I add file powder, but I'm never sure how much.  I just kind of eyeball it, but I'm sure I put at least two heaping tablespoons in the pot.  Simple, but flavorful.  I would probably have made chicken gumbo like many others do and add okra, sausage, etc. but this is the way my grandmother made it, my mom made it and my aunt still does--so I guess I'll never change (ha ha)!  

• Love 2

Bought a new pizza pan over the weekend. Bought frozen pizza dough Monday. Seems like tonight is the night for pizza and then tomorrow will be the chicken soup that I made on Sunday for some night this week. Given that the high temperature here in the Hudson Valley is going to be about 20 tomorrow, soup seems like the right call.  

It's also going to freaking cold again like that on Friday, so I'm going to spend a little time fishing around for something to throw in the crockpot that works as a good cold weather meal that my kids will also like. (They've turned on me with chili at the moment.  Something about hating beans which is just stupid, so that's out.)

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Something about hating beans which is just stupid, so that's out.)  Maybe someone recited the Musical Fruit poem to them :>)

Given their pre-teen status, their tendency to share their father's sense of humor, I try to use the musical fruit concept to SELL them on the idea of eating beans. They do consider the "benefits" (it's a benefit to a middle school child, it just is), but then they stick to their guns of not eating beans.  Sometimes I make burritos and use a bag of southwestern blend corn in the mix that has a few black beans. My daughter asks for a bowl and a spoon so that she can pull the whole damn thing apart and eat everything but the 8-12 beans. Freaking kids.

• Love 1

I would be right there with your daughter, picking out every last bean.  Black, kidney, garbanzo, pinto, lima, cannelini, black-eyed pea, mung, green -- pick a bean, any bean, and I hate it. 

I'm headed for the mall shortly, hunting for gifts, so I'm sure tonight's dinner will be something delivered to me while I ingest copious amounts of wine.

• Love 3

Tonight?  Leftovers from yesterday (quinoa linguine with turkey meat sauce).  I'm going to turn it into a casserole by adding a little bit of mozzarella and additional veggies (tomato, onions, green onions and maybe some kale). 

25 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I'm making 'Chicken Taos with Rice', a recipe that I haven't made in years, but I do remember liking it a lot.  Here's a similar recipe, although mine doesn't have sherry or garlic powder in it.  https://cookeatshare.com/recipes/chicken-taos-with-rice-43698

ETA:  Oops, apparently my recipe also has garlic powder (but still no sherry).

I literally have never heard of chicken taos before, I just assumed that you forgot the c in tacos but  I clicked on the link because I was curious about the addition of sherry to chicken tacos.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Quof said:

Going away in less than 2 days, so I've avoided buying groceries.  It's been slim, and weird, pickings here for the last couple of nights. 

Ah yes, the old Frozen Pie Crust, Tom Collins mix, Cloves...

iIUsdqNm.jpg

• Love 3

Damn.  Just nuking a potato for my last meal (the last food I have in the house), and my admittedly ancient microwave dies a few minutes in. Which means I have to heat up the real oven and wait 30 minutes for sustenance.

After several meals that involved way too many indulgences, last night I could not bear to eat anything but something light.  I opted for plain Greek yogurt, granola and fresh mango.  I would have made a salad but I was too lazy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

After several meals that involved way too many indulgences, last night I could not bear to eat anything but something light.  I opted for plain Greek yogurt, granola and fresh mango.  I would have made a salad but I was too lazy.

Sounds like me. Although I buy the bagged salad which is how I match together eating healthy with lazy in a perfect marriage 

• Love 1

Made the trip to the local equivalent of a Whole Foods store (has great produce and an even better butcher, but at completely reasonable prices) and brought home the stuff to make sausage and peppers. The pork sausage is always great and this time I bought their hot turkey sausage for me. So good!  

They also have a nice cheese shop with a lot of local Hudson Valley stuff. My son reluctantly tried what they were sampling today. And then I ended up buying a $15.99/lb cheese for him. Heh. 

19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I love sausage and peppers.

We have osso bucco leftover from Christmas so I am going to shred the meat and serve it over egg noodles with a salad.

Yum. 

As I stared at the meat section in the store, my son asked me how I could be shopping if I didn't know what I was making for dinner. I had to explain that looking for what looked good was how I was going to decide. 

Very little left on the plate he returned to the sink tonight. Hopefully I made the point. 

• Love 3

We are in New Orleans for friends' son's wedding and to visit family. This trip was planned months ago. so I knew I had time to make reservations for New Years Eve. We're going to Emeril Lagasse's NOLA. I ate there many years ago and it was the best meal I've ever had at a restaurant. We had lunch today at Peche Seafood - excellent.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We are in New Orleans for friends' son's wedding and to visit family. This trip was planned months ago. so I knew I had time to make reservations for New Years Eve. We're going to Emeril Lagasse's NOLA. I ate there many years ago and it was the best meal I've ever had at a restaurant. We had lunch today at Peche Seafood - excellent.

Oh, lucky you! That sounds wonderful. 

Dinner was wonderful. For 2 old foggies who usually spend New Years Eve in our jammies and go to bed early, what fun to have dinner in the French Quarter. NOLA was as wonderful as I remember it. Food was wonderful and service excellent. My husband had chicken gumbo and shrimp and grits. I had a crab frisee salad with cheese croutons and sea bass on pureed peas with fingerling potatoes. We shared a crème brulee trio of coconut with coconut truffle on top, chocolate with chocolate biscotti, and vanilla with fresh fruit. All washed down with a bottle of Chardonnay. We both decided it was the best dessert we had ever had. And then we got to walk home in a pouring rain wind blowing thunderstorm. It was a perfect evening. Happy New Year!!

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 12

I usually treat myself to a nice ribeye steak dinner with a baked potato and some type of small decadent dessert for NYE, but I'm a little under the weather today, so it was some leftover ham scraps (I was a little hungry, but nothing sounded good.  If I had some Campbell's chicken noodle soup in the pantry, I would have had that instead).  

We do a big meal for NYE. Ham, scalloped potatoes, balsamic glazed pearl onions, brussels sprouts and Parker House rolls. 

For midnight we doing homemade potato chips, creme fraiche and caviar.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

We do a big meal for NYE. Ham, scalloped potatoes, balsamic glazed pearl onions, brussels sprouts and Parker House rolls. 

For midnight we doing homemade potato chips, creme fraiche and caviar.

Since I took my kids out to lunch and ate too much, I ended up with roasted Brussels sprouts, pigs in blankets (using Hebrew National 97% fat free dogs which don't suck,) and spinach salad. 

Today will be a roasted pork loin, potato of some sort, something green. Tomorrow will be meatballs. I'm also going to turn this butternut squash on my counter into soup for lunch at some point, and then it's back to work with me and so much for cooking. 

• Love 2

I took a bag of frozen uncooked shrimp out of the freezer to thaw for shrimp cocktail.  Then I noticed the container of leftover frozen onion soup.  Then frozen pesto. Then another bag of frozen shrimp. So I thawed/am thawing them all.  The freezer was getting jammed so tonight's supper will be a hodge podge + sauerkraut and bratwurst (bought while in Michigan for Xmas).  I think I'd best get out a bottle of Pepto Bismol too, just in case!

• Love 2

I'm baking a couple of pork chops with some BBQ sauce on them and will make a green salad.  I still haven't cooked the cabbage that I was supposed to cook on New Year's Day (I had a salad for my 'greens' instead), but I need to cook it pretty soon before it gets old and tough.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2017 at 7:39 PM, biakbiak said:

Took the hambone from our NYE ham and made a vat of bean soup and with that all the holiday leftovers are gone! 

I did that last night! And it was delish.

First time I used a slow cooker and first time I did navy beans so was thrilled with the ease and the success. Yellow onion, bay leaf, carrots, Better Than Bouillon  organic chicken base and the meaty bone. Them beans are tough little buggers but worth the (10+ hrs.) time.

• Love 2

This is more of a "What's for Second Breakfast" than dinner:  Maple glazed doughnut with crumbled bacon on top.  

One of my coworkers brought in a bunch of doughnuts from the cool bakery for another one's birthday this morning, and the maple bacon one just called to me.  It was delicious. She also texted me last night and asked me if I wanted her to pick up a couple for my kids, because she's also an awesome friend. Hopefully they last the day without me eating them, but I think the fact that they are chocolate glazed with M&Ms on the top will scare me off with the super sweetness of it all.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

She also texted me last night and asked me if I wanted her to pick up a couple for my kids, because she's also an awesome friend. 

Indeed!

I'm thinking shrimp tacos for me and chicken tacos for the kids.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I was going to make a chicken stir-fry with asparagus. Despite the county knowing it was going to start snowing at 3 am (and it did), they chose to do nothing to treat the roads until 7 pm. I left the house at 3 pm thinking the roads would be okay once I got out of the neighborhood. Wrong. I turned around less than a mile from home. So - cheese, egg, potato frittata for dinner.

• Love 4

Once again, Ina's eggplant au gratin.  We haven't had it in well over a month and it's so easy to make.  Plus, I discovered a delicious jarred marinara to use in it.  It's called Belletieri's Marinara Sauce.  I bought it a while back...maybe at Wegman's???  Not sure.  Belletieri's makes the sauce in Boyertown, PA.  On the label it says they have a restaurant, Louie's, in Allentown, PA.  I could just eat this sauce right out of the jar.  It reminds me of the sauce Italian-American families served at home when I was growing up in New York State. 

• Love 1

Tonight is very simple.  I've been craving some good NY style rye bread. I picked out a nice loaf from a local deli.  They sliced it for me & I'm having a few slices toasted with unsalted butter & a glass of Chardonnay.  It's very cold out tonight & the fireplace is roaring.  Life is good.

• Love 5
On 1/7/2017 at 8:23 PM, chessiegal said:

I was going to make a chicken stir-fry with asparagus. Despite the county knowing it was going to start snowing at 3 am (and it did), they chose to do nothing to treat the roads until 7 pm. I left the house at 3 pm thinking the roads would be okay once I got out of the neighborhood. Wrong. I turned around less than a mile from home. So - cheese, egg, potato frittata for dinner.

Your frittata sounds delicious!

Tonight was turkey meat loaf and maple-balsamic glazed carrots. I think tomorrow is tomato tortellini soup.

• Love 2

I made a pot of chicken soup* Sunday morning, and that will be tonight's dinner. My version of chicken soup is pretty much just a basic broth with some chicken and noodles. My favorite noodle is the little bow ties, but I also use soup shells, alphabets and noodles once in a while.

To make the broth, it's one split chicken breast, a large carrot, onion, a couple stalks of celery, and a few black peppercorns. Toss them all in the pressure cooker, fill it up to the line with water, and let it cook under pressure for about 25 minutes. Strain it, cut up the chicken to go back into the broth and salt to taste.  Add the noodles when you are ready to eat.  So easy.

Oh, and feel free to add some grated hard Italian cheese before serving, which may or may not make the dish for you.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Add the noodles when you are ready to eat.

I'm so glad you do it at that point.  I like noodles in general, but HATE how they slurp up all the broth in a soup if left in too long.  My Mom would make the best turkey bone soup post-holiday meals, but those damn noodles always sucked up the yummy liquid so I had to get some early to save it from the noodle sponges.

I feel very strongly about this point - more so than I should admit.

• Love 2