Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Throwback Sunday, I guess, with pot roast, garlic mashed potatoes, and peas. Milk of course.

For better or worse, I still mostly eat the foods I grew up with in the American suburbs of the 50s and 60s.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

For better or worse, I still mostly eat the foods I grew up with in the American suburbs of the 50s and 60s.

Slow cooker pot roast for me tonight. Which I think Pot Roast kind of fits that description.  Of course, I got the idea from an App on my phone that sends me suggestions of recipes I might like, which is very 2016.  But a big hunk of beef with potatoes and carrots is a throwback.

Yesterday was probably my last flank steak on the charcoal grill of the year. Getting pretty cold out to be grilling. ::sniff::  Although I'm hoping for a warm Thanksgiving so that I can put the Turkey breast outside on the smoker instead of traditional in the oven.

A little bit of comfort food here too (or as best I can do without going to the store).  Oven-BBQd chicken and some mashed potatoes.  I even have a few leftover peanut butter cookies from the Wal Mart bakery for dessert.  

• Love 2

Comfort food in the Delurker household is fried rice.  Last night's was chicken fried rice. 

Leftover's will be gone by lunch (and so required to be put in my daughter's lunch box so she doesn't get shorted).

• Love 1
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ooohhh...I love fried rice!  Maybe tomorrow we'll have fried rice as tonight will be Deconstructed Chicken Parmegiana with thin spaghetti.

Deconstructed chicken parm?  I kind of get deconstructed lasagna, but how do you deconstruct chicken parm?  Seems very straight forward to do it normally?

Well, I've always seen chicken parmegiana being prepared like eggplant or veal parmegiana, all together, quite a bit of sauce--almost like a casserole.  This new (to me) way is breading the chicken and frying it, placing it in a baking dish with some parmesan and fresh mozz on top, letting the heat melt the cheese, and then drizzling some sauce on it before serving.  It's not covered up by the sauce. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, I've always seen chicken parmegiana being prepared like eggplant or veal parmegiana, all together, quite a bit of sauce--almost like a casserole.  This new (to me) way is breading the chicken and frying it, placing it in a baking dish with some parmesan and fresh mozz on top, letting the heat melt the cheese, and then drizzling some sauce on it before serving.  It's not covered up by the sauce. 

That sounds delicious!  And less...soggy so to speak.  You'll actually get the crisp.

• Love 1

We had some padron peppers that I had forgotten about so decided to do a tapas dinner that helped clear out the fridge: babaganoush (had a huge eggplant to use), blistered peppers, mushrooms in a sherry garlic sauce, tortilla espanola, chorizo with garbanzo beans, and sangria to wash it down.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Vegetarian chili. Several years ago, I started with a WW recipe that used soy crumbles, red beans and eggplant. Then I saw the Jazzy Vegetarian make a similar recipe with black beans, zucchini and frozen corn. I love Panera's turkey chili that includes edamame. So I keep the WW seasonings, and use soy crumbles, black beans, zucchini, edamame, and corn. My husband says it's the best chili he's ever had.

• Love 1

I'm really reining in the calories today (and for the next few days), so tonight's dinner is a mess of sauteed onion (lots of onion), brown rice, and steamed broccoli all mixed up with a little stir fry sauce.  I sometimes put grilled chicken in it, but I'm going vegetarian tonight.

Spaghetti & meatballs tonight with crusty bread on the side. Tomorrow I will use the leftover meatballs, sauce & bread for meatball sandwiches.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 3

I need to clean out the fridge before the Holidays. Tonight I'm using odds & ends to make a quiche. On the side will be a simple green salad with a vinaigrette made with Penzeys Country French dressing base.

1/3 cup of red wine vinegar &  1/2 cup of olive oil.  

I love the Italian one.  I just got the frozen pizza seasoning as a free sample & I'm liking it too.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

For some reason, I started craving black-eyed peas (maybe a mineral or vitamin deficiency?), so I picked up a bag of dried peas at the store.  Then, I started thinking about making a batch of 'Hoppin' John' with them.  I decided to 'change peas' and I put the black-eyed peas away to cook for New Year's Day.  I now have a pot with some bacon browning and onion softening in it and will add a bag of field peas.  I'm going to serve them over rice.  It's not really Hoppin' John, but I think it'll do.  It's for lunch, but I'm sure I'll have it for dinner too.

• Love 1

Tonight it's cold and rainy, an excellent time for "Clean-Out-The-Fridge" Chicken soup; a baked boneless chicken breast, some broth, a packet of Lipton soup (because there's only one can of broth in the pantry), some rigatoni, and all the odds & ends of vegetables that are left over in the fridge. In this case, the veggies are a carrot, two celery stalks, two lonely little broccoli florets, a quarter onion, part of a garlic clove, a small zucchini that needed to be used, and the dregs of a bag of frozen peas.

In cold weather, I like to season my personal bowl of soup with black pepper, cinnamon, and exactly two drops of Tabasco sauce. Makes it warmer.

• Love 1

Since it was grey, damp and a bit chilly, it was perfect weather for seafood chowder. Went to market to buy fresh seafood and headed home. By the time I pulled in, it is sunny and mild at best. No longer perfect chowder weather so need to rethink plan. Phooey.

14 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Baked pork chop and roasted Brussels sprouts.

I think I'll roast some Brussels sprouts tomorrow. Of all things, my kids dig them. They poo-poo things like the melted mozzarella in chicken parm or a stray black bean when I use a southwestern corn mix in some sort of tex-mex dish, but they scarf down roasted Brussels sprouts. 

And as long as the oven is going to be fired up, I should try to think of something else to go with them.  I've probably got some sort of roasted chicken breast dish or casserole in my repertoire I can slap together on a weeknight. 

ETA: Oh! Wait, I have a tube of Pillsbury biscuits I didn't make on Thanksgiving. I'll make those and now I just have to figure out some sort of lean protein. Maybe ham. I think I've got ham steaks in the freezer.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

Oh yum!  I tried a new recipe tonight and it was delicious.  Easy Sheet Pan Chicken from the New York Times. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and marinated them in buttermilk with a little sambal oulek overnight.  Then you smear a mix of whole grain mustard, Dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, & a little butter all over the chicken and roll in breadcrumbs (I used Panko), drizzle w/ olive oil and bake (or would that be roast in a 425 oven?)  I've made something similar in the past called Pork Medallions.  

• Love 2

@annzeepark914, I used this variation on Nigella Lawson's buttermilk marinade for chicken last week and loved it.  Full disclosure, I added vinegar to some milk that was past its prime instead of actual buttermilk.  Still great.

• Love 2

I was going to have chicken gumbo.  I boiled a hen, strained the broth and took the meat off the bones when it cooled.  However, I found out that I have no flour in the house so I can't make the roux to finish it.  So, I'm going to fix something else for tonight and have the gumbo tomorrow after I've made a quick run to the store for flour.  

I realized when I got up this morning that I had cake flour in the pantry, so I used that to make my roux.  It turned out really good, dark and rich.  My gumbo was good--I had a big bowl for lunch and plan to have more for dinner, over rice.   

2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I realized when I got up this morning that I had cake flour in the pantry, so I used that to make my roux.  It turned out really good, dark and rich.  My gumbo was good--I had a big bowl for lunch and plan to have more for dinner, over rice.   

Yum! I love a good gumbo. Did yours have okra?