Type keyword(s) to search

NCIS Hawaii in the Media

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Raja said:

With Agent Hanna's NCIS Elite promised for the finale I can't help but think of an improving Star Trek Enterprise having its finale taken over as a bonus TNG episode

OMG I was beyond livid about that ending! 

regarding Hawaii, I was stoked when I heard LL would be joining the cast this year, but it’s been a total bust. I thought he’d be part of the team, not leading some phantom Elite team that has nothing to do with the actual show. And I’m very upset by the cancellation. It took me a full season to get into this show and like the cast, but they’ve grown on me. I like the camaraderie and love Vanessa. I wish them all the best and hope they find something worthy of their talents.

• Love 3
(edited)

Especially since the series now canceled yes throwing Sam in there for the strike shortened season was like that ST Enterprise finale 

CBS must not like they cost of filming in Hawaii because in the last 5 years they canceled Hawaii 5-0, Magnum PI and now NCIS Hawaii 

One would figure they would've gone longer just to get more milage out of syndication.

There were issues and if there was more continuity and not having to struggle through the virus and strike they might have gotten a better show and stronger audience. They could revive it like Magnum although I don't think they'd allow a competing network access to the franchise. But then again ABC picked up 9-1-1 

Edited by misstwpherecool
36 minutes ago, misstwpherecool said:

One would figure they would've gone longer just to get more milage out of syndication.

I think with streaming taking over from syndication just getting in 79 episodes and being picked up by a TNT equivalent for mid mornings when they let go of Charmed is no longer a thing. Syndicators seem to  now demand enough episodes for them to run marathons and multi hour binges. The  once a day showing model isn't good enough until decades have passed and you get to the oldie stations fighting for content

Decent ratings...

Vanessa Lachey ‘Blindsided’ by NCIS: Hawai’i Cancellation, ‘Grateful’ for Historic Role
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH  APRIL 27, 2024
https://tvline.com/news/vanessa-lachey-reaction-ncis-hawaii-cancellation-historic-role-female-lead-1235226047/ 

Season-to-date, NCIS: Hawai’i is averaging 7.8 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating (with Live+7 playback data), up 4% in viewers vs. Season 2 but down a tick in the demo. Out of the 14 drama series that CBS has aired this TV season, it ranks No. 6 in total audience (behind Tracker, NCIS, FBI, Blue Bloods and The Equalizer) and eighth in the demo.

• Useful 1
54 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Out of the 14 drama series that CBS has aired this TV season, it ranks No. 6 in total audience (behind Tracker, NCIS, FBI, Blue Bloods and The Equalizer) and eighth in the demo.

And yet the crap disaster of a show Fire Country has been renewed. 😠

54 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Season-to-date, NCIS: Hawai’i is averaging 7.8 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating (with Live+7 playback data), up 4% in viewers vs. Season 2 but down a tick in the demo. Out of the 14 drama series that CBS has aired this TV season, it ranks No. 6 in total audience (behind Tracker, NCIS, FBI, Blue Bloods and The Equalizer) and eighth in the demo.

So it sounds like that CBS got snoockered by NCIS: Sydney being shown during the strike drought of content and getting higher ratings.

2 minutes ago, b4pjoe said:

Meanwhile room had to be found for a young Gibbs period piece and a Fire Country cinematic universe with a broadcast TV mountain Sheriff being looked at.

• Angry 1
15 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

last 5 years they canceled Hawaii 5-0, Magnum PI and now NCIS Hawaii 

H5-0 was long past its sell-by date when it ended so I was fine with it. Never watched the magnum reboot but am very upset by NCIS: HawaiI’s cancellation. It really is a blow to inclusion. First show in the franchise with a female lead, and an Asian female lead at that. diverse cast including native Hawaiins. It’s just a shame CBS couldn’t see the potential.

5 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

Yeah that’s the kicker. I really liked the first few episodes but it went downhill VERY quickly when it became the Bode show. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
7 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Yeah that’s the kicker. I really liked the first few episodes but it went downhill VERY quickly when it became the Bode show. 

I liked it (Fire Country) in the beginning and watched the entire first season and the first 2 episodes of the 2nd season. I was just hate watching midway through season 1 and after the first two episodes of season 2 in just got to be too much so I stopped watching it. NCIS: Hawaii is/was far better overall.

• Like 1

So that's it for these guys. I have to say I could see it coming, especially considering the NCIS Origins and the as-yet-unnamed Ziva and Tony series coming up. If those shows hadn't been picked up, I imagine this would have.

This show has been a pleasant diversion, and fairly entertaining, but it was far from a masterpiece of drama that was axed before it's time.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

It really is a blow to inclusion. First show in the franchise with a female lead, and an Asian female lead at that. diverse cast including native Hawaiins. It’s just a shame CBS couldn’t see the potential.

I guess they feel secure with the Black British actors in Sydney replacing them.

• Like 1

I'm not happy.  This was a pleasant watch, with characters I liked and beautiful scenery.  I saw the first Sydney and wasn't compelled to go back.  I'm not interested in a Gibbs origin story, or Tony and Ziva.  I don't watch much TV as it is, so I guess this just leaves me more time with my books.  

• Like 9

Another show that I watch on network TV getting cancelled, even despite decent ratings. The broadcast networks all complain about losing viewers to streaming but then they go and cancel the shows that people are actually watching. This show is way better than NCIS Sydney with better characters and better actors. Why wouldn't they at least put this show on Paramount Plus? At this rate, I'm going to have very few shows to watch on network TV. And I'll be even more reluctant to try a new show as they all seem to get cancelled after 2-3 seasons, if they're lucky. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

And I'll be even more reluctant to try a new show as they all seem to get cancelled after 2-3 seasons, if they're lucky. 

I'm wary now before starting new shows.  I've been burned too many times.  And they're apparently leaving NCIS Hawaii on a big cliffhanger!  They should at least have the decency to finish a plot line.  I'll stick with original recipe NCIS but for everything else, I'm out.  

• Like 2
On 4/28/2024 at 1:48 PM, Sake614 said:

It really is a blow to inclusion. First show in the franchise with a female lead, and an Asian female lead at that. diverse cast including native Hawaiins. It’s just a shame CBS couldn’t see the potential.

On 4/28/2024 at 3:51 PM, Raja said:

I guess they feel secure with the Black British actors in Sydney replacing them.

Olivia Swann and the other guy play Americans, and on that show, while she is the head of the NCIS branch, she really is depicted as a co-lead of the show with the blond white Australian guy.  And on the show, he has been farmed out to her unit, but she really still has to listen to him as she is on Australian soil and he is with an Australian agency.

Whereas on NCIS: Hawaii, this was undoubtedly a show with Vanessa Lachey as the lead, and her character was undoubtedly in charge of the entire squad.  I thought it was exciting that considering this was a show set in Hawaii, the only state in the country with a majority Asian population, it was really nice to see that they picked an Asian actress to lead this show. 

It meant a lot especially after the debacle of Hawaii Five-0 effectively firing its two Asian actors after refusing to pay them the same salary as the two white guys, when the show tried to bill itself as having four lead actors with 50% of them Asian.  After the backlash, that show then promoted two sideline Asian characters to lead cast and hired another one and seemed to think that would silence the criticism.  Now CBS has done Asian actors wrong again.

If they CBS can cancel and uncancel SWAT twice, maybe there is a slim hope they will do the same for NCIS: Hawaii.  Or move it to Paramount Plus.

• Like 6

I rarely watch any sort of network shows or shows in real time. I usually wait till they're long done before I start watching.  I ended up here for Kacy (such as it was) and stayed because I liked most of the cast.  Prior to this I had never seen an NCIS episode .. and I probably never will again. 

I liked the Kate/Jane friendship and the Ernie/Lucy friendship.  

Sounds like the cast expected to be renewed - sucks for them.

Did Yas just lose 2 jobs back to back?

• Like 2

Never watched any of the NCIS shows but started this one because of it's location and ended up loving the cast. I really hope they reconsider. As blackwing says, if SWAT can be cancelled and uncancelled twice then why not this one. 

33 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

Never watched any of the NCIS shows but started this one because of it's location and ended up loving the cast. I really hope they reconsider. As blackwing says, if SWAT can be cancelled and uncancelled twice then why not this one. 

I think that S.W.A.T  and SEAL Team where further along in episode count for syndicators and CBS was trying to add more exclusive content the Paramount + to add to Star Trek's franchise and The Good Fight. COVID and the strikes saw them get replays on the broadcast network. As well as get multi hour blocks on syndicated stations.

Since the first show has almost completely turned over its cast like SVU and they want room for a young Gibbs period piece while taking chances on new stuff that might pop I think Hawai'i is gone.

Just last night I heard two promos it certainly sounded like one said the Tracker was the most watched "new show" like Fire Country was in its first year and the other said most watched "just" show, maybe for that past week. And marginal performers from an old franchise will make room for the potential break out show.

I'm only surprised by this cancellation considering CBS uncancelled and renewed S.W.A.T. of all things who are down to a couple of original cast members and mostly newbies that don't exactly have charisma.

I've also never gotten into Tracker or Fire Country.  I also have no interest in seeing Origins or the Tony/Ziva thing.  I did watch NCIS Sydney a few times but usually forgot it was on.  If money is the issue, I can't see Sydney being cheaper than Hawaii (unless Sydney is somehow getting different money).

49 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

I did watch NCIS Sydney a few times but usually forgot it was on.  If money is the issue, I can't see Sydney being cheaper than Hawaii (unless Sydney is somehow getting different money).

I don't think money was the issue just single line thinking that Sydney had higher numbers. They just forgot nothing else new was on due to the strikes.

5 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I'm only surprised by this cancellation considering CBS uncancelled and renewed S.W.A.T. of all things who are down to a couple of original cast members and mostly newbies that don't exactly have charisma.

I've also never gotten into Tracker or Fire Country.  I also have no interest in seeing Origins or the Tony/Ziva thing.  I did watch NCIS Sydney a few times but usually forgot it was on.  If money is the issue, I can't see Sydney being cheaper than Hawaii (unless Sydney is somehow getting different money).

I would presume that Sydney is being at least partly funded by an Australian production company, given that it's filming in Australia with Australian actors. 

It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers Sydney gets during a "regular" TV season when there's a lot of other shows to watch.  I think it will do worse than Hawaii's numbers this year.  That show is not great, the cast is not as likeable.  The Hawaii cast truly felt like a family and they worked great together.

I could understand if Hawaii was doing poorly, but it was getting good numbers and doing better than many of the shows in the CBS lineup.  Why cancel this one and not one of the weaker performers?

I greatly dislike Michael Weatherly so I won't be watching any show with him in it.  He's the reason why I never wanted to watch the original, and by the time he was gone, I didn't feel like getting into it.

The new Gibbs Origins show, I may or may not watch.  I was going to, but now think I might not just out of being pissed at the Hawaii cancellation.

Can Vanessa Lachey and Noah Mills be moved to Sydney?  I would have thought unlikely, but CBS made room for LL Cool J.

• Like 1

Late to the party - this sucks. Can't believe it got cancelled and NCIS Sydney got picked up.

I'll miss having a Hawaiian based show on my schedule. That had been pretty much as staple since Five 0 rolled out.

I liked a show lead by an age-appropriate female agent. Tennant was an interesting character. Really did not expect the network to pull the plug after two season.

• Like 4
(edited)

Vanessa Lachey Opens Up About NCIS: Hawai’i Cancellation: ‘I Wish We Had a Proper Goodbye, I’m Sorry We Didn’t’

IG - A serene video of Vanessa sitting by the ocean

Forever your Sweet Jane… This was the same spot where I filmed episode 1. I sat here at 2am on June 2021 and stared into the ocean. I asked her to protect me, my family, my crew and our show. I told her we will do all we can to protect the grace and integrity of Hawai’i while also sharing her Beauty with the world. As I sat here today, knowing our show is over, I turned to her again… what do we do now….(please protect us all) She answered with ease. Just as the air hits the water & the water hits the land, the waves connect to the shore, some with a huge impact, then… it goes back out. You see… we aren’t meant to be here forever, we are on borrowed time. We appreciate what was given to us for our use, we nurture it and then we leave it better for the next dreamer. I’m wishing for my crew and my cast that we all remember the Beauty of what we had… we will spread this Aloha in every direction we go. I wish we had more time, I’m sorry we don’t. I wish we had a proper good-bye, I’m sorry we didn’t. I know we ALL are connected deeper than any TV show. I will go to the ends of the earth for my cast & crew! If you come across ANY of them… hire them! You won’t be disappointed. Salt of the earth people!

In Hawai’i we don’t say “Good-Bye”, we say “A Hui Hou” it means “until we meet again”. To you all & especially the beloved fans… A Hui Hou.

❤️ Love Always, Your Sweet Jane

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 2

CBS Exec Explains NCIS: Hawai’i Cancellation, Confirms Blue Bloods End Date

CBS Entertainment president Amy Reisenbach has spoken about the network’s decision to cancel the Vanessa Lachey-led procedural.

“It is incumbent on us to always keep the schedule fresh, keep momentum going. We had to make some really tough choices this year,” Reisenbach said, according to Variety. “Everything came back [from the Hollywood strikes] really strong, but ultimately we have to look at the cohesiveness of the schedule flow. We have to evaluate the financials and the performance overall, and we make tough decisions.”

Reisenbach said that there was no chance of an “un-cancellation,” as S.W.A.T. (twice) received, while TVLine hears that the series is not being shopped elsewhere.

• Angry 1

Forgot to add how much I liked the secondary characters like Boom Boom, Bam Bam, Carla, and Pike. They were never overused and ruined. Just the right amount of screen time.

• Like 2

Ratings: NCIS Hawai’i Ends With 2nd-Best Audience of Season
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 7, 2024
https://tvline.com/ratings/ncis-hawaii-series-finale-viewers-season-3-episode-10-cancelled-1235233008/ 

CBS | The Neighborhood (with 5 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating) added a few eyeballs with its season finale, while Bob Hearts Abishola‘s series finale (4.9 mil/0.4, average TVLine reader grade “A”; watch cast video) drew a best-since-season premiere audience and also rose in the demo. NCIS‘ season finale (6.8 mil/0.4, TVLine reader grade “A-,” read Katrina Law Q&A) delivered its largest audience in six episodes, and NCIS: Hawai’i‘s unplanned series finale (TVLine reader grade “B”) rose 7% to its biggest audience since the season premiere (5.41 mil) while also scoring its first 0.4 rating in six episodes.

I don't know if this is the correct thread for this, but seems to make sense here more than in an episode thread.  I apologize if inappropriate.

Regarding the cancellation, and also the 2nd "uncancellation" of S. W. A. T., it occurred to me that maybe SWAT's reprieve took a slot that otherwise might have gone to a 4th season of Hawaii.  Again, speculation on my part, but who knows...

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, transitfan said:

Regarding the cancellation, and also the 2nd "uncancellation" of S. W. A. T., it occurred to me that maybe SWAT's reprieve took a slot that otherwise might have gone to a 4th season of Hawaii.  Again, speculation on my part, but who knows...

I was looking more to the young Gibbs origin period piece as it got multiple text promos of a couple of seconds each during the finale. The reduced episode count of S.W.A.T  does suggest it might split its season with something

On 4/30/2024 at 5:07 PM, MissLucas said:

I'll miss having a Hawaiian based show on my schedule. That had been pretty much as staple since Five 0 rolled out.

It turns out that FOX has the Baywatch like Rescue: Hi Surf coming with the coveted post Super Bowl  premiere time. 

• Like 1
(edited)

What Were the TV Season’s Most-Watched Shows? And Which Cancelled Dramas Had the Most Viewers?
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 31, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/most-popular-tv-show-rankings-2024-ratings/

MOST-WATCHED RETURNING DRAMA
1. NCIS, CBS (9.7 million viewers)
2. FBI, CBS (8.8 million)
3. Chicago Fire, NBC (8.6 million)
4. Blue Bloods, CBS (8.4 million; first half of final season)
5. Chicago Med, NBC (8 million)
6. The Equalizer, CBS (7.9 million)
7. Chicago P.D., NBC (7.82 million)
8. NCIS: Hawai’i (7.79 million; cancelled)
9. Fire Country, CBS (7.3 million)
10. FBI: Most Wanted, CBS (7.2 million)
MOST-WATCHED CANCELLED SHOWS
1. Blue Bloods, CBS (8.4 million for first half of final season)
2. NCIS: Hawai’i, CBS (7.8 million)
3. So Help Me Todd, CBS (6.2 million)
4. CSI: Vegas, CBS (6.1 million)
5. The Good Doctor, ABC (5 million)

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Wait a minute Hawai'i out performed the up coming Fire County TV universe?

In both quality and ratings.

(edited)

CBS Boss: ‘I Sympathize’ With the ‘Disappointed’ Fans of Our Cancelled Shows
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JUNE 11, 2024
https://tvline.com/news/cbs-president-reaction-ncis-hawaii-cancellation-csi-vegas-1235261032/ 

CBS Entertainment president Amy Reisenbach says that she and other execs at America’s Most Watched Network would “toss and turn” while deciding which shows to cancel this spring.

“I’m a big fan of TV first and I sympathize and relate to all of the fans out there who are disappointed in the fact that these shows are ending,” Reisenbach said on Tuesday at the Banff World Media Festival (per our sister site Variety). “But at the end of the day, our job at CBS is to make those really tough calls,” she added, echoing the comments she made in May at CBS’ fall schedule reveal soiree.

Over the course of a week in April, CBS pulled the plug on CSI: Vegas (after three seasons), So Help Me Todd (after two) and NCIS: Hawai’i (after three). The network then went on to announce a fall schedule that includes two new dramas — NCIS: Origins (aka the Young Gibbs prequel spinoff) and Kathy Bates’ Matlock — and closes out each Sunday night with drama reruns.

“We toss and turn and have sleepless nights and have endless discussions” about cancellations and renewals, “but we look at all of the numbers,” Reisenbach said at Banff. “We look at what our projections are for the future, we look at where we see opportunities to potentially have even bigger success on the schedule.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

NCIS: Hawai’i Bosses Break Silence on April Surprise (‘It Still Stings’), Tease What Season 4 Might’ve Been (Exclusive)
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JULY 26, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/ncis-hawaii-season-4-spoilers-cancellation-reaction-producers/ 

TVLINE | On a scale of 1 to 10, how surprised were you back in April? And how are you feeling about things now, three months later?
NASH, SILBER & BOSACK |
We were obviously surprised. If we’d known it was coming, we probably wouldn’t have ended the series on a cliffhanger. The fact that the studio and the network didn’t stop us makes it seem like they might not have seen it coming either. We loved our show and know other people loved it, too, but the TV business is a fickle mistress and one can’t take business decisions personally. But it still stings.
TVLINE | Obviously, adding Sam Hanna was a crowd-pleaser — and your viewership in fact grew a few percentage points in Season 3. Was that crossover something you sought out amid NCIS: LA ending, or was it pitched to you by higher-ups?
NASH, SILBER & BOSACK |
The idea of Sam joining our show was pitched by the studio/network after LA ended. We were fully on-board, both because Sam was a great character, but also because LL COOL J is a wonderful human. The chemistry he shared with our amazing lead, Vanessa Lachey, was so compelling, we had hoped to keep it going for many seasons to come.
TVLINE | Turning to how the season finale ended, what can you say about the next words coming out of Maggie Shaw’s mouth? Did it have to do with Jane’s mom, teased earlier in the season?
NASH, SILBER & BOSACK |
While not fully fleshed out, we had a general idea of where the Maggie story was going. It would have eventually intersected with Jane Tennant’s mother, but it was also going to move back into the dark world of Tennant’s spy past, using those stories to increase our understanding of who Jane was, but also to learn more about her team in the process
TVLINE | Was Lucy and Kate’s brief talk of weddings going to be revisited – perhaps pointedly — in Season 4?
NASH, SILBER & BOSACK |
We hadn’t fully landed on what was going to happen in Season 4. But there would have been some movement. Whether it would have been a wedding, meeting families, or some other thing, we didn’t know.

TVLINE | In Season 4 might we have finally met Jesse’s wife and other kid? Or was the wife your “Vera from Cheers“?
NASH, SILBER & BOSACK |
We started every season planning to meet her and she would have shown up eventually. (Hope springs eternal.)
TVLINE | Was there any other story or personal runner you couldn’t get to in the short Season 3 that was going to be a “must” during a full Season 4? For example, meeting some of Lucy’s family, keeping Peyton List around as Kai’s love interest, anything for Ernie or Carla or Joe or Boom-Boom… what have you.
NASH, SILBER & BOSACK |
We loved our repertoire of characters and we would have kept using them as much as we could. We were talking about Tennant’s mom and Ernie’s ex-wife, but other than following up on our cliffhanger, there were no “musts” on the list. Our goals every season were the same: tells good stories with these great actors.

Edited by tv echo