Type keyword(s) to search

Paramount+ Criminal Minds

• Start Topic

On 5/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, MountaineerBro10 said:

Just curious if anyone has any new updates? All I know is it’ll be a 10 episode season, will be on Paramount + & all characters from the last 3-4 seasons will participate. So no Shemar Moore (I know, sorry ladies 😕).

This is new, to me.  Last I knew, the status of returning cast members was still up in the air.  Articles made it sound like only a select few were coming back and would be mostly new characters (at the time I read about it coming back on the streaming service).

I'm still iffy on it, honestly.  Not sure I'm really looking forward to it, seeing as how it seems that EM and writers are same as the last few seasons.

If the revival follows canon, then Garcia should be gone because she actually left the team for a different job...and, honestly, I can't see why Garcia would even want to come back to the team given how traumatized she was when she came across information relevant to the cases.

...but...this is Erica Messer's writing team. "Logic" isn't a word they're even aware of.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:51 AM, Danielg342 said:

If the revival follows canon, then Garcia should be gone because she actually left the team for a different job...and, honestly, I can't see why Garcia would even want to come back to the team given how traumatized she was when she came across information relevant to the cases.

...but...this is Erica Messer's writing team. "Logic" isn't a word they're even aware of.

This, and wasn't KV a huge part of the writing and/or producers team?  If so, I would imagine that it'll be a slam dunk that Garcia will be back.  (unfortunately)

Not to mention they'll overplay the hell out of the Garcia/Alvez 'dynamic' again.  Yay![/snark]

On 8/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Found this on TV Line, posted recently on July 31st. Unsure if the actors really know, but based on the article, chances of this revival happening aren't great.

ETA: I see the article was updated: Paramount says it IS still happening! Weird that the actors aren't in the know.

That article states that Paramount+ hopes to coax the last season's cast back, but its not an iron-clad certainty that they will all return.

Seems like a lot of conflicting info from all sides about this project.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind having another season or a “movie event” of the show.   I know I am in the minority (at least around here) but I always liked the idea of Garcia and Alvez as a pairing.    I actually prefer them to Garcia and Morgan which always seemed incredibly one sided and kinda sad.   Plus I again I am in the minority but I always liked the later team more then the earlier teams (except for maybe Blake who was always my favorite).     So I wouldn’t mind having Garcia return because some fabricated reason that really doesn’t matter happens.  Or maybe she hacks something she shouldn’t hack and the FBI arrests her again for some reason and she calls in a favor you know stupid reason for her ending up back on the team that really doesn’t matter.    

I guess we'll find out in the future if a reboot or whatever happens for Criminal Minds. I don't have Paramount + and it bothers me if it does happen it won't be on CBS. But then again, I barely watched the last few seasons so I don't know if I would want to watch it anyway.

Maybe it's just me, but I really hope it doesn't come back. Trying to revitalize this show, along with going through with it for CSI and Dexter, just screams laziness from studios and a money grab. And it speaks to the lack of original ideas when trying to bring back shows that haven't even been off air for a full decade yet. And Criminal Minds, especially, didn't finish off that well in it's final seasons, going by the ratings. Usually, it's better to just let shows stay done.

• Love 4
On 8/30/2021 at 1:18 AM, WinJet0819 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I really hope it doesn't come back. Trying to revitalize this show, along with going through with it for CSI and Dexter, just screams laziness from studios and a money grab. And it speaks to the lack of original ideas when trying to bring back shows that haven't even been off air for a full decade yet. And Criminal Minds, especially, didn't finish off that well in it's final seasons, going by the ratings. Usually, it's better to just let shows stay done.

I totally agree. Criminal Minds really fell apart in the last seasons that it doesn't seem worth reviving. If it could get back to its original glory, that would be great, but I doubt that will happen.

• Love 3
On 8/30/2021 at 1:18 AM, WinJet0819 said:

On 9/2/2021 at 1:46 PM, Bookish Jen said:

I totally agree. Criminal Minds really fell apart in the last seasons that it doesn't seem worth reviving. If it could get back to its original glory, that would be great, but I doubt that will happen.

Another thing it also tells me is that the most of the original-run last season's CM cast can't find work, if they're willing to come back to a series that was (imo) tanking in its last few seasons;  especially if its the same show-runner and writers producing the scripts.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Mysteyman said:

They should wait at least 3 years before they even THINK about it.

At that point, it will be almost 5 years gone.

That is the closest which  they should begin contemplating a revival.

I agree. The show just ended last season. Give it some time, regroup, and get back to its glory years if it's going to be re-booted.

• Love 2

Missing from the list are original cast member Matthew Gray Gubler, who had indicated that he was ready to move on after playing Spencer Reid for 15 years, and Daniel Henney, who stars in The Wheel Of Time. The Prime Video series, which films in Prague, has been picked up for two more seasons, and any potential Henney guest appearance on Criminal Minds would be subject to his commitment to Wheel Of Time and scheduling, sources said.

From the Deadline article.

I had completely forgotten that Daniel Henney also wasn't listed, which shows how much of an impact Matt Simmons had on the show, though I do like Henney as an actor and I'm disappointed he might not be back.

The Gubler situation seems like it may have some small sliver of hope, because this article is going on past comments and not something that Gubler had said for the article. Still, it's jarring.

Personally, I don't like that Gubler is not confirmed for this series, and I shudder to think how they'll fill in for the character (will the role of "super genius" be filled in by Garcia? Yikes). However, there's also a part of me that believes that Gubler deserves a role and a series where he can take centre stage and not be a character who is only there to recite a few lines.

Will I watch the new version as it is constituted? I'm not sure. As I understand, this iteration will feature the team following one case for ten episodes, which would play more to Erica Messer's strengths as a writer than "cases of the week" do- she's best at doing "character case studies" where she can really deep dive into someone and explore them as an individual, and without a case of the week muddying things, she can do that.

Still, even then, I'm not sure I watched a lot of Emmy-worthy writing, and the prospect of returning to CM without two actors I've thoroughly enjoyed (Gubler and Henney) is a tough ask.

We'll see.

I'll wait until it's officially confirmed, but starting to see article headlines out there stating that MGG won't be returning to CM.

Trying to imagine a Spencer Reid-less Criminal Minds, and can't really do it  (aside from MGG's normal absences for episodes filmed in October, in the past).

On 2/10/2022 at 5:01 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I'll wait until it's officially confirmed, but starting to see article headlines out there stating that MGG won't be returning to CM.

Trying to imagine a Spencer Reid-less Criminal Minds, and can't really do it  (aside from MGG's normal absences for episodes filmed in October, in the past).

Criminal Minds without Spencer Reid just would not make that much sense. He was literally the brains of the team. And if MGG isn't slated to come back, I think it gives a clear indication of what he thinks of this sequel attempt.

And as you mentioned in a previous post, the actors must be having a hard time finding work if they're willing to come back to this same show for a sequel after it ended just two years ago.

Without MGG, I fully expect the this desperate sequel to crash and burn. There's nothing really new to show the audience that we haven't seen in 15 seasons, and this just really seems like a desperate attempt to try to join the TV sequel craze.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 2

I still watch the marathons that are on almost daily, but, for me, once Derek and Hotch left, I never warmed up to any of the replacements. The middle seasons were the best to me with that group. I was thinking about getting Paramount + but I am not sure if I want to, especially without Spencer's character. I really liked the characters of Rossi, JJ, and Prentiss. That's it. There was way too much Garcia in it for me to enjoy. A little of that character goes a very long way, and they had too much focus on her. I will be interested in seeing how they bring JJ and Prentiss back and if Prentiss ended up with that guy or broke up. I kind of am interested in seeing the whole season = one case scenario. I liked how they were going to do that on Mindhunter, but that fell through. I will wait for more scoop.

On 2/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, Bookish Jen said:

If Criminal Minds hadn't gone off the rails story and writing wise in the last few seasons, I might be interested in watching the reboot. But it's a no from me.

^This, plus no Spencer Reid?

Yeah, I'm gonna hard pass on it when it's 'live', but might decide to check it out later if reviews make it seem like its worth the time spent to do so.  (which I will not be holding my breath for, since my expectations for it are already beneath the basement level)

Obviously no Reid is the big takeaway...but no Daniel Henney is a bummer for me too because I actually liked him.

Maybe I'll give the first episode a watch and see if S16 is worth going along with, but I can't say I'm too enthused considering there is no one I like that is returning.

Honestly, this just really feels like a project the remaining actors are continuing with because they can't get a paycheck anywhere else. Which is sad when you consider the talents of people like Paget Brewster and Aisha Tyler. The last few years of the show were just awful and it saddens me that the cast can't seem to move on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Honestly, this just really feels like a project the remaining actors are continuing with because they can't get a paycheck anywhere else. Which is sad when you consider the talents of people like Paget Brewster and Aisha Tyler. The last few years of the show were just awful and it saddens me that the cast can't seem to move on.

This is how I feel as well, Daniel. I’ll probably be sitting this one out, as I don’t have Paramount+ where I live anyway. I’ll stick to rewatching the early seasons on my Disney+. 

23 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Obviously no Reid is the big takeaway...but no Daniel Henney is a bummer for me too because I actually liked him.

Maybe I'll give the first episode a watch and see if S16 is worth going along with, but I can't say I'm too enthused considering there is no one I like that is returning.

Exactly. And it also just feels like a desperate money grab to get in on the new TV sequel fad that's going around Hollywood lately. And this show hasn't been off the air for 5 years or 10 years or 15 years. The show just ended 2 years ago, and they were already discussing making a sequel last year. 15 seasons, and they need to revive it after just 2 years. They might as well say they took a COVID break. And with no Spencer, this show has no chance. The cast really needs to let go.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

Exactly. And it also just feels like a desperate money grab to get in on the new TV sequel fad that's going around Hollywood lately. And this show hasn't been off the air for 5 years or 10 years or 15 years. The show just ended 2 years ago, and they were already discussing making a sequel last year. 15 seasons, and they need to revive it after just 2 years. They might as well say they took a COVID break. And with no Spencer, this show has no chance. The cast really needs to let go.

Precisely. CM is an established brand so that's really the only reason it's coming back. It's like CSI: Vegas, only that at least that show was off the air for five seasons and brought back some legacy characters at the beginning. I see no reason to revive it when it's had its run.

Sure, as I understand it's a new format-  one case over 10 episodes instead of "Cases of the Week"- but I'm not sure it's enough. We saw the show attempt "serial" stories (like Reid in prison and the Chameleon arc) and they didn't set the world on fire. I feel like this "new" format will consist of eight episodes where the team just stands around asking each other "how does all this make sense?" before getting into gear and really collecting clues in the ninth episode with the conclusion and arrest in the tenth.

If the show was relaunched around Ben Savage's Gideon with the team chasing serial killers of the '70s, '80s and '90s, I might get into that. A CM: Early Days exploration showing how Gideon and Rossi (and maybe Max Ryan too if they remember he existed) built the BAU into what it is would be very interesting. Throw in Amy Davidson so I can at least have Zoe Hawkes' mother in the BAU and I would be all in.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Disappointed at no MGG.  Would have been fun to have something to look forward to, and to enjoy speculating.  Reid-less episodes of the original series told me what to expect.  On the plus side, it leaves money in my pocket.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm already subscribed to Paramount Plus for "Evil" and a few other shows I watch on there (or will be watching on there), so this is just one more reason to keep that subscription going. Personally, I thought it seemed kind of odd to reboot the show so soon as it was - it lasted fifteen seasons, which is a pretty good run, and ended just a few short years ago besides. I feel like reboots generally tend to make more sense for shows that have been off the air for at least ten years or more (give us more time to miss them, and all that) and/or didn't last very long, and this is their "second chance", so to speak. 

But whatever, it's coming back, so even though we won't have all the old cast members there, I'll still be checking it out. We had a ton of cast turnover on the original series as it was, so it seems fitting that'd be the case here, too. So long as I get to see at least some of the old gang, I'm happy. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, JMO said:

You'll have to keep us informed, Annber.  You always did provide excellently detailed reviews.

Aw, thanks, that's nice of you to say :). I'll definitely be sharing my thoughts on the new season! Hopefully there'll be a lot to discuss with anyone else who does decide to watch. 

• Like 2

I still have no plans to try and watch it live or semi-live, but all I have to say is that if they attempt to actually replace Spencer Reid with a 'new model' that encompasses a generalization of his character type, they better knock it out of the park.  Quite a bit of the fan reaction to this reboot effort could hinge on that one aspect, imo.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I still have no plans to try and watch it live or semi-live, but all I have to say is that if they attempt to actually replace Spencer Reid with a 'new model' that encompasses a generalization of his character type, they better knock it out of the park.  Quite a bit of the fan reaction to this reboot effort could hinge on that one aspect, imo.

I fear that character will be some kind of Hollywood-type "woke" character out of a misguided attempt to "fit in with the times". Reid's character type is a magnet for that kind of role, and they might even make that character the unmentioned "star" who will literally solve each case.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear we'll get a character that will make the JJ of S7-10 likeable in comparison.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Like 1
On 8/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, JMO said:

Disappointed at no MGG.  Would have been fun to have something to look forward to, and to enjoy speculating.  Reid-less episodes of the original series told me what to expect.  On the plus side, it leaves money in my pocket.

I got curious and looked at MGG's IMDB page. It doesn't look like he's doing any work. 

By the way, the CM revival now has a nameCriminal Minds: Evolution and Zach Gilford (of Friday Night Lights fame) has been cast as Elias Voit, an operations analyst for a cyber-security firm who, according to Deadline, "has a dark side and an obsession with death".

The first season of Evolution (I presume there will be more seasons) will deal with a criminal who used the pandemic to build a "network of killers" that the team will hunt down, one murder at a time.

So, make all that of what you will. I feel like it's a departure from the promise of a true serialized series, because these episodes are more like cases of the week but they're all going to (presumably) have a connection. I also feel like it's a bit of a retread of the failed "Mr. Scratch" storyline where that premise involved Scratchy freeing killers the team had to catch, as well as that weird cult storyline from the S14 premiere that the show never referred to again.

...and, as the Everett Lynch and "Reid in prison" storylines showed, this show isn't particularly good at serialized content anyway. I also don't know how much I find this concept to be believable- this reminds me too much of Red John of The Mentalist and that's not a good thing.

We'll see. Deadline says it will debut "this fall" but provides no specifics.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:19 AM, Bookish Jen said:

I got curious and looked at MGG's IMDB page. It doesn't look like he's doing any work. 

There are the seven episodes of Dollface he appeared in earlier this year. Not much work but it's still something, I guess.

Perhaps he's just taking a break. I can imagine doing a TV show can be quite the slog, so doing it over 15 seasons must take its toll. He's probably made more than enough money on CM that he can pick and choose his next projects.

I also don't doubt he's going to get them. He's 42, a white male and still pretty spritely. Hollywood still looks favourably on him. As much as I hate the fact he's not coming back to CM, Matthew Gray Gubler was probably the one cast member who could most afford to not come back. The rest of them are probably not as lucky. I bet if Daniel Henney didn't get The Wheel of Time gig he'd be coming back too. 47-year-old Adam Rodriguez could have similarly taken a chance to not come back but I guess the prospects weren't good for him so he returned.

As for the rest of the cast, the women are all north of 40 (which, unfortunately, means Hollywood doesn't take another look at them) and Joe Mantegna is 74. I mean, I grant that I don't know for sure why the CM cast members who are returning are returning and those who are not returning are not returning, but when I look at what's left of the CM cast, all I see are actors who probably can't get a gig anywhere else.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

There are a few days a week I watch Criminal Minds' marathons. I am sure I have seen them all, but once Hotchner and Morgan left, it wasn't as good to me. I didn't like ANY of the replacements. I was really happy to hear about the reboot, but I am not sure if I want to watch more Garcia hogging the screen time. And, I never bought the idea of her with Alvez. I just don't see why any of those men would be attracted to her/character. So, if the show has her as the main focus, I am out. I keep reading all the speculation about how they will explain Spencer's absence and there was even a mention of him coming back for the second season AS the unsub.

• Love 1

Saw some promo photos of the first episode of the reboot, can’t say I am impressed. I love Joe Mantegna but Rossi is starting to look like the old man on the first edition of The Giver. Prentiss looks like she’s aged about 10 years. Lewis and Alvez still look pretty good, can’t really tell with JJ. 

I just want to watch pretty profilers with semi-decent MOTW cases. If the show could go back to its roots, I’d be happy to sign up for the reboot, but nope, not this. Just the idea of a pandemic inspired network of serial killers makes me cringe. The last few seasons were painful, but this looks even worse.  

• Love 2

These are the promo pictures in case anyone else wants to see them. I would agree with @idiotwaltz that Rossi looks very out of place now, although I'm happy Paget Brewster is no longer hiding her greys. I'm not sure how the show will explain how Prentiss' hair went grey in just two years because I'm not sure that's possible.

I will say JJ with her shoulders out looks pretty good. Someone's been hitting the gym, it appears.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:43 PM, Retired at last said:

I keep reading all the speculation about how they will explain Spencer's absence and there was even a mention of him coming back for the second season AS the unsub.

I thought it was just fan speculation until I read about it on ScreenRant. Unless this was Matthew Gray Gubler's wish all along, the idea of Spencer Reid as an UnSub would really tarnish the character beyond repair and would feel extremely cheesy. This is one of those cases where the writers need to realize, "just because you can doesn't mean you should."

15 hours ago, idiotwaltz said:

Just the idea of a pandemic inspired network of serial killers makes me cringe. The last few seasons were painful, but this looks even worse.

Reminds me of The Mentalist when they created The Blake Association, Red John's cult of killers. Hopefully CM can do a better job than The Mentalist did (which was nothing) at explaining why these serial killers are willing to team up in the first place, beyond each of them having "an interest in the macabre" as well as being "pure evil". Of course, CM loves depicting group members as submissive lackeys just eager to take down their leader and I fear that's where the show will go with this group, so I don't know how good this will turn out to be.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Nothing in the ScreenRant article suggests it is anything else but fan speculation. It only says that it is a fan theory and that Spencer has been through a lot of traumatuc events. That is all. It doesn't confirm anything.

Edited by Mislav
  • Useful 1

IF the "Reid will return as an/the Unsub" for a season thing turns out to have any real grain of truth to it, I doubt he will be truly evil/a criminal.

I'd bet my farm - if I had one - that he has been undercover and only assuming the role of a bad guy.  How he does that without the BAU knowing, your guess is as good as mine, but I have a hard time believing that they'd ruin 15 years of character development like that. 

I also seriously doubt that MGG would agree to do that to a character he invested a decade and a half of his life to portraying as someone in a very non-criminal like fashion.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

IF the "Reid will return as an/the Unsub" for a season thing turns out to have any real grain of truth to it, I doubt he will be truly evil/a criminal.

I'd bet my farm - if I had one - that he has been undercover and only assuming the role of a bad guy.  How he does that without the BAU knowing, your guess is as good as mine, but I have a hard time believing that they'd ruin 15 years of character development like that. 

I also seriously doubt that MGG would agree to doing that to a character he invested a decade and a half of his life to portraying as someone in a very non-criminal like fashion.

Making Reid an unsub would be slap in the face of the character, Matthew, and the fans.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Honestly, the "Reid will return as an Unsub" speculation sounds more like Reid fans just reaching for any stretch of a reason - story wise - to bring MGG back (at least a season) after the rest of the normal cast got back to work.

I mean, look, I want him back on the show like crazy too, but not crazily enough to turn him in to the exact opposite of what his actual character is all about.

• Love 3

I don't know how reputable ScreenRant is, but my guess is that they wouldn't report on the theory unless it actually had traction, even if it's just fodder for fans. I figure even if it didn't come from the writer's room, they at least know about it.

I do agree an UnSub Reid would ruin the character. About the only positive an UnSub Reid would have is making Reid's "someone asked if I was the UnSub" quip in "52 Pickup" even funnier, but that's about it. I'm also thinking that Matthew Gray Gubler might agree to the storyline only because, once it's finished, there could be no way Reid ever comes back, which I'm guessing Gubler would want.

My ideal situation for Reid would see the scene opening with a house in the desert, perhaps the Mojave Desert near Las Vegas. You see a baby crying and Maxine doing her best to get the baby to stop (let's assume this baby is a girl, so that the Simmonses are not alone in the CM universe with a baby girl). Reid comes in and tells Maxine, "if you had waited another 53 minutes and 42 seconds to put her to bed like I told you to, she would still be sleeping right now", or something like that. Maxime smiles, kisses Reid and admits he was right before sending him off to work, where he teaches at UNLV or something.

After his class, Rossi comes up to him and tells him that they have some "real doozy of a case" because "our guy is quoting some kind of literature we don't understand." Reid reminds Rossi that he told him "I'm finished with the BAU. I'm done with that chapter in my life", but Rossi convinces him to take on "one last case". Maxine isn't so keen on it either but she eventually she agrees to let him work the case, and off Reid goes for one last go around with the BAU.