Type keyword(s) to search

My Adventures With Superman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

From WB/DC's press releases:

HBO Max and Cartoon Network announced today a two-season series order for My Adventures with Superman an all-new kids and family animated series following the action-packed, comedic and romantic adventures of Superman and Lois Lane. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) and based on characters from DC, My Adventures with Superman catches up with twenty-somethings Clark Kent, the bright and driven Lois Lane, and their best friend Jimmy Olsen as they begin to discover who they are and everything they can accomplish together as an investigative reporting team at the Daily Planet. The news was announced today by Amy Friedman, Head of Kids & Family Programming, Warner Bros.

"Superman has remained one of the most iconic and beloved Super Heroes in the world," said Amy Friedman, Head of Kids & Family Programming, Warner Bros. "This fresh take from the Warner Bros. Animation team delivers a modern, relatable Clark Kent alongside a fearless, whip smart Lois Lane who are navigating the small tasks of both becoming adults and trying to save the world."

Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, My Adventures with Superman introduces us to twenty-somethings Clark Kent, the bright and driven Lois Lane and their best friend Jimmy Olsen as they begin to discover who they are and everything they can accomplish together as an investigative reporting team at the Daily Planet. Promising a mix of action, comedy and romance, the new series has received a two-season order from HBO Max and Cartoon Network, as announced this morning by Warner Bros.’ Head of Kids & Family Programming, Amy Friedman.

Described as a serialized coming-of-age story, My Adventures with Superman will follow Clark as he builds his secret Superman identity and embraces his role as the hero of Metropolis—and perhaps the world. Lois, now growing into a star investigative journalist, takes aspiring photographer Jimmy Olsen under her wing. All the while, Clark and Lois are falling in love, sharing adventures, taking down bad guys, stumbling over secrets and discovering what it means to be Superman and Lois Lane.

Actors Jack Quaid (The Boys) and Alice Lee (Zoe’s Extraordinary Playlist) will lead the My Adventures with Superman voice cast as Clark Kent and Lois Lane, respectively. The series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation with [Sam] Register (Teen Titans Go!) serving as executive producer. Jake Wyatt (Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus) and Brendan Clogher (Voltron: Legendary Defender) are on board as co-executive producers and Josie Campbell (She-Ra and the Princesses of Power) as co-producer.

“It’s been a great partnership working with Cartoon Network and HBO Max to bring more DC Super Heroes to the platform in new and creatively interesting ways,” summed up Register. “This is the first animated Superman series in many years and we want to tell our Superman story through the trio of Clark, Lois and Jimmy—whose relationship dynamic will allow for rich, serialized and engaging stories as we explore their lives as individuals and their journey together as friends.”

AdvsWithSuperman900_60a478aa046691.74388

• Love 1

Are we to infer that that's Lois with extremely short hair, and Jimmy is the one in the background? 

I have found it fascinating that both major comic book companies experiment with race-morphing characters in one project then, if it works, go forward with that same interpretation in other projects.  People got used to Jimmy being African-American in Supergirl, ergo that's being rolled forward.  It usually (but not always) stops short of the actual comics though, unless they're doing a total reboot. 

Not really a first look, but more artwork for the show:

Looking at the designs for Lois, and that she's being voiced by Alice Lee, is this the first Asian-American Lois Lane?  If so, I'd like to hear that explicitly from the creators at some point.

Tucked into the announcement of a different show -- an update:

Following the "Unicorn: Warriors Eternal" program rollout, "My Adventures with Superman" will also shift its series debut to Adult Swim. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, the DC animated series will debut later this year during Adult Swim's late-night primetime hours with encores on Toonami and on the streamer. Adult Swim is expanding its hours to meet animation fans where they are by offering best-in-class animation for a multigenerational audience. Adult Swim will begin at 7:00 p.m. ET/PT Monday through Saturday starting May 1.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/video/2023/03/29/video-official-trailer-released-for-genndy-tartakovskys-newest-animated-series-unicorn-warriors-eternal-732210/20230329adultswim01/

At least it's getting released; I was afraid it was just going to disappear.

• Love 1

Still no release date; but a short teaser and a new synopsis:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/video/2023/04/06/video-my-adventures-with-superman-debuts-first-teaser-trailer-312213/20230406adultswim01/

"My Adventures with Superman" is a serialized coming-of-age story catching up with twenty-somethings Clark Kent, the bright and driven Lois Lane, and their best friend Jimmy Olsen as they begin to discover who they are and everything they can accomplish together as an investigative reporting team at the Daily Planet. The story follows Clark as he builds his secret identity as Superman and explores his own mysterious origins. Lois, on her way to becoming a star reporter, teams up with photographer Jimmy Olsen to break the stories that matter. All the while, Clark and Lois are falling in love... as Lois gets closer and closer to uncovering his secret identity! Our trio share adventures, take down bad guys, stumble over secrets, and discover what it means to be heroes in their own right.

There are reviews out BTW; the first seven episodes were screened, according to a few people.

I'm still unsure if Lois is supposed to be an Asian-American woman. I think she is, but I'd like someone from the creative team to confirm that explicitly. (At least one interview confirms that Jimmy is Black.) Do they fear a backlash? (Unfortunately, that's a very real possibility.)

I'm looking forward to a fresh take on Clark and Lois; not sure how I'm actually going to watch this, though.

• Like 1

I just watched the first 2 episodes and they were cute. I love the Newskids Legion! I just read through the first Kon-El Superboy series where the clones of the original Legion make a lot of appearances so I loved the shout out. And that the new group of kids isn't all white boys (with a token Black boy). It's nice that, even though the show seems to be geared towards a younger, non-comic book fan, the people behind the scenes know and respect the source material and throw things in for the viewers who will notice.

• Like 2

S01.E01: Adventures of a Normal Man Pt. 1
a3cd25ea61e5b6213ab4712e513395a2b276466b
Secret alien Clark Kent and his best friend Jimmy Olsen start their internship at The Daily Planet and meet fellow intern Lois Lane.

Premiere Date: July 7, 2023      Adult Swim   midnight

Adventures of a Normal Man Pt. 2
7fcf39ea4e7eb9acecf2e15c0f4ad7fa0f8d765a
Clark returns to the Kent farm with questions about where he’s from -- and who he wants to be.

Premiere Date: July 7, 2023      Adult Swim   12:30am

So I could only see the first of the two-parter on Adult Swim's website, but I love this so far! They nailed it with the three leads, and Clark/Lois romance is starting off nicely. It's got some nice humor, although, you'd think by now Clark would know how to not tear apart things (like his shoes).

• Like 2

Right out the gate, I'm really digging this show. If you want to see Himbo Superman (I believe that Superman is at his best when written like one), then my god does this show deliver. I am really loving all the leads so far.

The anime influence was all over this show. Not only with the obvious ones like Sailor Moon and Evangelion, but I caught some similarities to My Hero Academia. Clark punching out the robot was almost exactly what Izuku does, but Clark was perfectly fine, meanwhile Martha Kent's design on this show reminded me of Izuku's mom.

I'm not too familiar with Superman lore, so it was cool to see the Newskid Legion, and I figured that 

Spoiler

Flamebird

Had to be a reference to something. I also loved the nods to The Mechanical Monsters, plus "super intelligent gorillas in France" and "that one psychic starfish."

• Like 2

Perry White is remarkably blasé about giant war robots fighting on the docks. I'm also disappointed in Jimmy for not setting his camera to video, and for the whole intern team for not, say, requesting security footage from the docks either. There's serious property damage there! Giant robots wrecking the place would be a page 1 story even without Superman!

LMAO the end titles sequence is so anime it's incredible.

I know a lot of people are talking about how kid Clark has the "cool S" on his shirt, but for my money the ends of the S should be angled, not squared off.

@Galileo908, "Flamebird" here is a Silver Age reference.

I really enjoyed that this take on designing his costume had a sort of New 52 look and then Clark and his mom added back the red trunks and belt.

Oh snap, Amanda Waller as the big antagonist??? That's cool. Hope this one is smart enough to not think she can recruit a gymnastic psycho and a boomerang-themed crook as the core pieces to an anti-Superman force.

• Like 1

Interview with the creators at DC: https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/07/11/my-adventures-with-superman-blends-shonen-with-superheroes

I think this quote explains some of the changes they've made to some of the villain characters, etc:

The super-villains in this series have interesting origins because they use technology as part of their iconic power sets. I was curious if that was part of making the story feel more grounded, or if you had another reason for changing up their origin stories?

JW: A bit of that, and then a bit of Superman is such an ancient property that when it came out superhero stuff wasn't a genre. It was a science fiction story that ended up giving birth to this whole other genre. And so, from the top we decided that there are no weather wizards. There's no magic. This is a science fiction action story with romance. No magic was a big rule.

Like Josie mentioned, a bunch of the anime that we liked was part of the stuff that inspired it. We wanted it to feel sci-fi, and particularly anime sci-fi.

JC: I remember Brendan in the writer's room talked a lot about [the novel] The Three-Body Problem. We talked about a lot of science fiction that Brendan, especially, could name-check with the drop of a hat.

Brendan Clogher: I'm a big fan of old and modern science fiction novels. A lot of it is just our desire to bring the things we love into the show.

(edited)

This is technically Episode 3, but the TV Station Guides are listing it as Episode 2.

S01.E02: My Interview with Superman
14264067b1048b36b9_w.webp
Lois wants to interview Superman and Clark must figure out how to help her while protecting his secret identity! Meanwhile, criminal ring INTERGANG gets their hands on unstable weapons, and a mysterious organization plots in the shadows.

Premiere Date: July 14, 2023      Adult Swim      Midnight

Intergang
Catherine Taber as Siobhan McDougal/Silver Banshee
Vincent Tong as Rough House 
Lucas Grabeel as Kyle/Mist 

Daily Planet Reporters
Melanie Minichino as Cat Grant 
Vincent Tong as Steve Lombard
Kenna Ramsey as Ronnie Troupe

Episode 1 Characters
Chris Parnell as Slade Wilson/Deathstroke
Zehra Fazal as Leslie Willis/Livewire
Debra Wilson as Amanda Waller (head of Task Force X/Suicide Squad)

Edited by AnimeMania

I don't know what time these are added to Max but I remembered it was friday (I've been counting the days) too early this morning. It was a bit crushing to still only see 2 episodes.

The show (and Clark) is still super extremely cute. I love the main 3 so much.

I'm disappointed in Cat Grant's portrayal as being shallow/gossipy although I think that's because I know her more from the Arrowverse Supergirl show and not the comics.

I hope we get some follow up on Lois' interview. Will her notes get "scooped"?

• Like 3

This is super cute so far, I like this take on Superman and Lois a lot. Its super anime and Superman fits really well into that kind of vibe, especially Clark's magical girl transformations! 

Superman, The Intern of Steel.

• Like 1

S01.E03: Let's Go to Ivo Tower, You Say

Clark, Lois, and Jimmy cover a glitzy gala hosted by tech-billionaire Dr. Ivo - but while Clark and Lois wonder if this counts as a date, Ivo unleashes his newest invention: a creation that can bring down Superman!

Premiere Date: July 21, 2023      Adult Swim      Midnight
Jake Green as Dr. Anthony Ivo/Parasite

Yep, this show is adorable. Loved this week's episode. And man, on one hand I wasn't expecting Lois to figure out that Clark was Superman four episodes in, but on the other I might've lost my patience if she went the whole season before reaching that conclusion. 

I knew this week's villain was Parasite from the promo. The purple color gave it away. So for now, in place of Lex Luthor, we have Dr. Ivo and Amazo as the Elon Musk/Tesla stand-in.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

And man, on one hand I wasn't expecting Lois to figure out that Clark was Superman four episodes in, but on the other I might've lost my patience if she went the whole season before reaching that conclusion.

Given that Lois has known in the comics since 1991 (just four years after the post-crisis reboot) and how much other recent media has either had Lois knowing from the start (Sniderverse) or only not knowing in flashbacks (Superman & Lois) it doesn’t surprise me that they opted for an early reveal.*

The two main advantages it has are, first, it pretty much eliminates the “Lois is stupid/blind” aspect since she figured it out after very little actual time in his presence. Second, while it’s been okay so far, Clark continuing to keep a secret that big as things get romantic lends itself to superdickery instead of a healthy relationship.

Third (apparently I had three points) it gives the relationship a bit of a speed bump that will keep Jimmy from becoming a complete third wheel in the trio… which is a problem that’s existed ever since Lois found out Clark’s identity in the comics. Jimmy hasn’t worked as Clark/Superman’s closest confidant ever since he got a girlfriend/fiancé/wife who was in on the secret.

Giving Lois a little time to be streamed at Clark for keeping secrets (even if it’s only been a couple weeks at most) will let Jimmy step in as mediator which can cement him as best friend to both instead of slipping into irrelevance as he’s done in other media once Lois becomes his secret-keeper (I also fully expect Jimmy to find out too in this version).

The other thing that pleases me is that this is a serial rather than episodic. Four episodes in and we’re already upsetting the trio’s status quo with Jimmy feeling a bit marginalized and Lois has learned Clark’s secret (ironically because he tore the tabloid story out… Lois only started really looking at them that night because she noticed the ripped out story and it was finding the missing story of the flying Smallville boy in Clark’s pocket that sealed it).

This means we can reasonably expect recurring shakeups to keep things fresh.

* Also there was that brief scene in the trailer where Clark tells her to hold on and then he superspeed flies up… kinda a dead giveaway she was going to find out sometime this season.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

The two main advantages it has are, first, it pretty much eliminates the “Lois is stupid/blind” aspect since she figured it out after very little actual time in his presence. Second, while it’s been okay so far, Clark continuing to keep a secret that big as things get romantic lends itself to superdickery instead of a healthy relationship.

Third (apparently I had three points) it gives the relationship a bit of a speed bump that will keep Jimmy from becoming a complete third wheel in the trio… which is a problem that’s existed ever since Lois found out Clark’s identity in the comics. Jimmy hasn’t worked as Clark/Superman’s closest confidant ever since he got a girlfriend/fiancé/wife who was in on the secret.

I actually like the 'two-person love triangle' trope, so I wouldn't have minded if they stretched that tension out longer. Of course Lois would find it out eventually. But I think for this version I would have preferred that Jimmy finds out first, since he's known Clark longer.

• Like 2

Some of the Anime conventions, like Superman having a Transformation sequence, irk me a bit.  

I do like that the show is doing certain other things different.  Lois and Clsrk immediately being attracted to each other was a nice touch.  It ditched a lot of cliches built up around them.  Lois and Clark (and Jimmy) being pretty much at the same starting point at The Planet, and the first two coming off as young as Jimmy, worked for me.  Lois being somehow even MORE of a pitbull than traditionally (where she's already like that, but its amped up here based on her ambition and wish to be taken seriously) but also drawn as tomboyish but very cute, works too.   She's less traditionally confident than most versions of Lois, but her ambition makes up for it.  Lois being shown as really smart is also cool.  The comics had to make excuses, like Clark's glasses hypnotizing people, for years... and it was lame.  This show almost necessitated Lois figure it out, the moment they decided that this Lois really looks at, and pays attention to, Clark. 

Anyway, so far so good. 

• Like 1

I loved Lois' fancy outfit in this episode. It was just so her to not go with a slinky dress or anything revealing. And, of course, Clark couldn't take his eyes off of her.

• Like 1
(edited)

Loved Lois's fancy outfit, it felt very true. I'm surprised that Lois has already figured out who Clark is, that should be interesting going forward. Not that I don't buy that someone as smart as Lois could figure it out, especially as Clark isn't great at hiding yet, but I thought they would keep it goin for a little longer in the name of tradition. I tend to prefer Lois knowing though so this works for me. 

On 7/20/2023 at 11:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

I knew this week's villain was Parasite from the promo. The purple color gave it away. So for now, in place of Lex Luthor, we have Dr. Ivo and Amazo as the Elon Musk/Tesla stand-in.

Dr. Ivo as a tech bro Elon Musk stand in was surprising but it really worked. I saw some people online guessing that his put upon assistant Alex is actually a young Lex Luthor, which is a pretty interesting idea...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 2
On 7/23/2023 at 6:09 PM, SnarkShark said:

Some of the Anime conventions, like Superman having a Transformation sequence, irk me a bit.

To be fair, he had ONE transformation sequence in the episode when he first got his costume (and then further subverted it with Ma saying “nope, it needs something and adding the trunks/belt by hand).

Every change since has been the classic shirt rip+superspeed (and even a bit where he forgot to restyle his hair back and had to quickly mess it up so Lois wouldn’t notice).

So Clark knows Lois knows that he's Superman. Oh boy I really liked the (sometimes literal) dancing around the subject, especially when they were handcuffed together. And yeah, Lois actually jumped off the building, knowing Clark was gonna save her.

We finally get a Jimmy episode and how he's the third wheel of the gang. I feel for Steve, he's the outcast of his own trio. Because he's pretty dumb and abrasive. I actually AM a Steve, and I feel like a Steve in my own life.

So, we get a version of Heatwave, plus finally seeing Deathstroke in a really cool costume. And the sasquatch? It's Grodd! Can't wait for next week.

• Like 1

S01.E04: You Will Believe a Man Can Lie
MAWS-S01E05-YWBAMCL.jpg
Lois uncovers a secret in Metropolis and is determined to get to the truth. Meanwhile, Superman tracks down dangerous weapons in the city…and finds himself in the crosshairs of mysterious organization Task Force X.

Premiere Date: July 28, 2023      Adult Swim      Midnight

Okay, after this episode, I finally understand the references by the developers to  novel "The Three Body Problem" (part of it involves Earth organizations prepping for an alien invasion they know is coming generations into the future).

Clark's visions when exposed to (presumably) Kryptonian tech weren't visions of the future... they were flashbacks/memories connected to the repurposed artifacts of a previous invasion of Earth and Clark's got enough similarities to the invaders they think he's actually one of them who's returned and a new invasion in imminent.

I'm now at 99% the general is Sam Lane... because there's way more drama to it that way (and the REAL plot reason Clark had to leave Lois behind, lest she instantly identify him)... and internal conflict between Lane (win without endangering innocents) and Waller/Deathstroke (win at all costs).

Lois' position was completely understandable... she was 99% sure Clark was Superman already, then the dumbbells and popping in and out with the radio just removed the last 1%. After that she was just trying to get Clark to be honest with her by dropping anvil-sized hints until she'd finally had enough and did the roof drop (which I absolutely believe she only would have done if she weren't 100% certain) because, as has been established Lois absolutely hates being lied to "for her own good/safety" after she never knew about her mom's terminal illness until it was too late.

But it is absolutely heat of the moment anger... which based on Jimmy's dire straits is likely to be dealt with next episode (sidebar - I am loving the serialized nature of the series with each episode leaving on a minor cliffhanger of sorts; just like the old movie serials and radio dramas).

And speaking of Jimmy... in one episode we got the entirety of Jimmy's position in Superman stories once Lois learns Clark's secret... sidelined so hard its actually painful from his perspective (on the other hand, his continual  interruptions just as something might turn overtly romantic really go a long way towards limiting my sympathy for Clark and Lois ghosting him).

Throwing him into peril (said cliffhanger) while Clark and Lois are having their first big fight is probably the best way to slide him back into the best friend (along with being peacemaker for them) and I wouldn't be surprised if Clark has to reveal his secret to Jimmy next episode since I think getting him to even footing on the secret is just about the only way to not continue to sideline the character and we just past mid-season (man, its going fast).

• Like 1

Why is this on an adult block? I’ll admit that it’s surprisingly deep for a animated series about Superman, but it’s still Superman.

Seeing Superman fly at the start of the opening credits . . . does anyone else think of Botan and start humming the theme from Yuyu Hakusho? Hell, I thought of Team Rocket seeing Steve and Cat vamp their intro.

Damn, we got to the revelation quick. You think deep kissing would “fix” Lois’s knowledge? Yeah, probably not.

There’s So Much To Love About ‘My Adventures With Superman’s New Take on Lois Lane

I thought this paragraph would be of particular interest here:

While many fans originally only speculated about Lois’ ethnicity in the series (despite her voice actor Alice Lee’s Korean-American heritage) Lois Lane was confirmed to be Korean American herself during episode four (and on Twitter). Lois is pictured wearing a top that resembles a Hanbok, which is a piece of Korean formalwear.

On 7/28/2023 at 1:09 PM, Chris24601 said:

then the dumbbells and popping in and out with the radio

I loved that so much! Clark is so bad at this. He needs Lois to know his secret if only so she can coach him and help cover.

On 7/28/2023 at 1:09 PM, Chris24601 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Clark has to reveal his secret to Jimmy next episode since I think getting him to even footing on the secret is just about the only way to not continue to sideline the character and we just past mid-season

I hope so. I did not enjoy him being left out and ignored in this most recent episode.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, akg said:

I hope so. I did not enjoy him being left out and ignored in this most recent episode.

And getting that revelation from Steve of all people. I was not expecting this show to actually give him depth.

(edited)
5 hours ago, akg said:

There’s So Much To Love About ‘My Adventures With Superman’s New Take on Lois Lane

I thought this paragraph would be of particular interest here:

While many fans originally only speculated about Lois’ ethnicity in the series (despite her voice actor Alice Lee’s Korean-American heritage) Lois Lane was confirmed to be Korean American herself during episode four (and on Twitter). Lois is pictured wearing a top that resembles a Hanbok, which is a piece of Korean formalwear.

Nice! Thanks for linking that!

On 7/28/2023 at 11:16 PM, Lantern7 said:

Why is this on an adult block? I’ll admit that it’s surprisingly deep for a animated series about Superman, but it’s still Superman.

It wasn't originally supposed to be on Cartoon Network at all; after they cancelled plans to air it on HBO Max this was probably the third best option?

Edited by Trini
32 minutes ago, Trini said:

It wasn't originally supposed to be on Cartoon Network at all; after they cancelled plans to air it on HBO Max this was probably the third best option?

I caught the latest episode on Max. They run it the day after it airs.

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

And getting that revelation from Steve of all people. I was not expecting this show to actually give him depth.

I don’t get how a jock be to be a writer. I think the original Steve was a pro player that wound up on TV, back when Neal Adams was reimagining Superman. Am I remembering correctly.

I hope that Clark and Lois tell Jimmy the truth about Clark, I felt really bad for him as he realized that he was becoming the third wheel and Louis knowing the truth will just make it worse. 

Oh Clark, that police scanner bit was adorable, you really are pretty bad at this. I really could feel for both him and Lois during their fight, I could understand both of their perspectives. Lois hates being lied to, especially after what happened to her mom, but Clark has good reasons to keep his secret, so I do get it.

The general is absolutely Sam Lane, truly a brave man if he can get away with calling Amanda Waller "Mandy". Is Lois getting a new step-mom?

• Like 2

S01.E05: My Adventures With Mad Science
my-adventures-with-superman-episode-6-wa
When Jimmy gets kidnapped, it's up to Lois and Clark to save him - but rescuing Jimmy will lead them into danger as they deal with mad scientists, military secrets, and relationship woes!

Premiere Date: August 4, 2023      Adult Swim      Midnight

So it WASN'T Grodd that kidnapped Jimmy! It was Monsieur Mallah and The Brain! I was very excited to see them. And yes, they're a couple. And they bicker like one. They were delightful. And seem to be fans of Gurren Lagann if the look of their mutants were any indication.

Cool that the evil robots were OMACs. And seems like General Lane is the big bad for the season after all.

Yeah, shoulda known Jimmy knew Clark had powers the whole time. I mean, they live together and stuff broke in their apartment all the time. 

Next week: Mxy! And he's an anime imp now, and Clark is having none of it.

• Like 1

I feel like the sooner Lois finds out the truth, the less right she has to be mad at him. I mean, should he really be forced to tell someone he's only known for a few months (if that) this GIGANTIC secret that defines his whole life and changes everything when you know it?

I can see Lois being angry if it's been years of being partners with him, or dating him even, but this Lois shouldn't really be so mad at this point. Imo.

• Like 3