Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: What Comes Next

• Start Topic

A fire breaks out at a pet food factory, and Casey and Severide help the owner, Pete, get to the bottom of it. The annual garage sale takes place at 51 and everyone is on edge.

Airdate: 05/12/2021

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Oh look, another investigation!

I legit think the showrunner still wants to be running/writing PD. There doesn’t appear to be much interest in Fire as a non-procedural. 

43 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

I legit think the showrunner still wants to be running/writing PD. There doesn’t appear to be much interest in Fire as a non-procedural. 

Sadly PD was better when he was writing for them. Both shows are in freefall.

On 5/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Oh look, another investigation!

On 5/10/2021 at 4:27 PM, dovegrey said:

This is why 9-1-1 has surpassed Chicago Fire, IMO. Every episode keeps your attention, and the stories are much more believable. Fire, along with the other two, has just plain lost it. It seems as soon as the shows decided to focus on shipping characters instead of the actual stories, the show quality has dipped substantially.

• Love 2
On 5/10/2021 at 5:27 PM, dovegrey said:

8 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

This is why 9-1-1 has surpassed Chicago Fire, IMO. Every episode keeps your attention, and the stories are much more believable. Fire, along with the other two, has just plain lost it. It seems as soon as the shows decided to focus on shipping characters instead of the actual stories, the show quality has dipped substantially.

I'm not sure though, because all of these investigations aren't really focusing on the characters' relationships...  They just aren't fighting fires anymore, either.  So really Chicago Fire has just become Chicago PD Lite, IMO.  I do need to watch 9-1-1 though, I've heard that it's good.

• Love 2
(edited)

It’s disappointing that this season is six episodes shorter than usual, and incredibly boring, filler junk like this is how the showrunner decides to fill the 16 episodes. These writers have got nothing. (Every now and then, I wonder what it would be like if Fire got sold to Netflix and soft-rebooted into a show for adults, like what happened to Designated Survivor a few years ago. Yes, I know that will never happen, but, gosh, there's so much wasted potential.)

The editing makes it look like the firefighters work an 8-5/M-F job. And the writing makes it looks like they’re PIs. They just need to do Chicago OFI and put Fire out of its misery.

The fire rescue scene seemed clunky and full of filler. I thought something was going to go wrong with the aerial again, with how much they were showing its details. At first, I thought the stabilizers had malfunctioned and the truck was going to tip. Weird editing.

Why is a paramedic schooling a batt chief, a captain, and a Squad lieutenant on fire science and the difference between chemicals?

Definitely saw the cat getting sold when Boden wanted her outside. Poor cat.

I can’t stand Brett’s whiny, annoying, immature young girl act; it's like she regressed back to season 3. Many vets board pets without requiring a “personality test,” so that whole storyline of hers was dumb. Also, give the cat up for adoption back to the original shelter, rather than hoping something bad happens, you jerk.

I feel like Mouch's approach to the "annual" (aka, never-seen-before) garage sale was out of character for him. Herrmann is the hustler.

Passing the exam means Kidd is eligible to become a lieutenant. It doesn’t mean she’s a lieutenant, as Boden referred to her. Herrmann passed the exam years before he was promoted…and, IIRC, no one cared that he passed, and no one called him "lieutenant" until he was actually promoted to lieutenant. I'll be beyond aggravated if she "gets promoted" next episode before she actually gets a position.

Edited by dovegrey
  • Love 3
(edited)

Only two testers to examine Kidd? Thought CFD would have had a few more officials in the room to witness her brilliance and charge an admission fee to the rest of the rank and file.

I wonder who was driving while Kidd was out?

Another equipment malfunction on truck! Is this Gorsh's fault too?

When Gallo said to Casey "you may not like how", did he and Casey finish the remainder of their conversation telepathically for Casey to OK the maneuver? Shouldn't Gallo have his oxygen gear on for when he went in to the burning building? Not too long ago Casey went nuts on him about safety and I'm surprised he allowed this.

Deep down Casey wants to tell Severide "don't get married".

Ritter never noticed his gear was damaged? Wasn't there an episode a while back of scrubbing gear due to cancer concerns and they need to be cleaned immediately after every call?

Hazmat cleared the Pet food factory (but their findings are not respected by Casey and Severide). Instead of the two going home to relax/eat they need to investigate pronto (day and night).

Pete couldn't put up a fence or is that the city's responsibility too?

There needs to be an episode dedicated to a Voodoo priest/priestess clearing the stench of "Dawson". 

These guys are way too cavalier to walkaround these toxic fumes and leaking barrels.

Severide and Casey just took the Squad truck for a joy ride to the eco store.

Was that a cat or lion in Casey's office?

Mr. Spliatro was way too calm to not lunge at the Cynthia the dental assistant. I thought he said "F*%K you Cynthia!". But Violet was in a better position than me to hear. I bet Dr. Lee didn't have an emergency. Just wanted to go home and catch the game.

So while Cynthia is home looking for a new job, Sylvie should have asked her if she can watch the cat during her new found free time. 

I think there were a few scripts from earlier episodes in the garage sale. I don't believe anyone purchased them.

Boden couldn't deliver the news to Mouch. The guy approached him like a US Marshal serving a subpoena.

Herrmann should have stopped Pete from assaulting the guy. Pete is lucky Casey and Severide just barged in without a warrant and scared him to not call the police after finding the barrels.

Stella tells Severide she need some "major distraction tonight" and there's Casey next to them plotting where is a best place to listen.

At least they will address the personnel issue in the house. She has to go!!!!!!!!!! Is it possible they can add another team to the house?

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I'm not sure though, because all of these investigations aren't really focusing on the characters' relationships...  They just aren't fighting fires anymore, either.  So really Chicago Fire has just become Chicago PD Lite, IMO.  I do need to watch 9-1-1 though, I've heard that it's good.

I wouldn't say everything is relationship focused, but relationship and personal storylines have taken over a huge chunk of the show the last 5-6 years, while the actual firefighting and rescues, which is the show's namesake, has taken a backseat. Instead of trying to delve into the real life, everyday struggles of firefighters, which is something we saw in the first 2 seasons, the show wants to focus more on pushing relationships and romantic tension. And the fire scenes are done in a way to push that drama. Or, they are done in a way that is completely unbelievable and outside of their job description. Like all these investigation episodes.

If Dick Wolf had his Law & Order shows follow this path where the personal and relationship drama dictated the actual police and legal cases, he would not have TV dynasty he has now.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 2

What little affection I had for Brett is gone after the cat incident. And a glorious f--- you to the showrunners for allowing the Veronicat story at all. Shelters are overrun with unwanted cats and this is how you portray them to a couple of million households. Way to go guys.

Why would a LT candidate have to explain to her examiners why venting a roof is a Good Thing? That's probably day one curriculum in the fire academy. The LT would need to fully understand how to manage her team, incident command, sizeups, and a lot more esoteric crap than venting.

Couldn't someone think of putting some CGI water on that CGI'd fire? 

Why didn't 81 start throwing ground ladders if the stick wasn't in position? It's only 3 stories, there should be at least two 36' ground ladders. 81 was on the A side, they needed a rescue on the B side--that's why more than one Ladder company responds to working fires. More personnel, more gear, and greater versatility in apparatus. That tarted-up light-duty aluminum hardware store ladder would not have been on the truck. And there are stairs inside the fire building that they'd have used in every other episode anyways.

If there'd be some f---ing water to go along with all those truckees they could have gotten to the wife sooner. Seriously, writers, have 51 put the wet stuff on the red stuff once in a while FFS. It really works.

I still think that at least one of the leads is leaving at the end of the season. Casey's medical woes were a decoy, I think. Severide's about to get engaged and be happy. My money is on him not coming back next season. That then puts Stella through the wringer and frees up a romantic spot for the Cat Hater and Casey to get it on at the same time.

This show is getting worse every week.

• Love 1

I really don't know what to say about The Stella Show Chicago Fire anymore. Every week it's the same old, same old. Was there any doubt that Stella would pass her exams with flying colors and be lauded as the superhero of the day? That there were be more comical shenanigans with Mouch, Herrmann, Ritter and Gallo in a flimsy C-Plot? That the A-Team would be investigating some new crime? It's just the same thing, week after week. The writing is so lazy, I don't know what the issue is behind the scenes but it needs to be fixed.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I still think that at least one of the leads is leaving at the end of the season. Casey's medical woes were a decoy, I think. Severide's about to get engaged and be happy. My money is on him not coming back next season. That then puts Stella through the wringer and frees up a romantic spot for the Cat Hater and Casey to get it on at the same time.

This show is getting worse every week.

I agree and am waiting on big announcements, like Med just had. I could see Kinney/Severide leaving and Mayo/Kidd too. This is an “old” cast on an aging, formulaic network show in a city where there is little chance of doing other projects or even networking beyond Dick Wolf. No one is being nominated for awards. I’m more and more wondering if the sudden hard shift to Brettsey this season is because part or all of Stellaride gave notice. (I kinda always thought Derek Haas would wait out Jesse Spencer and send Casey off with Dawson.)

Or, it will be David Eigenberg who I think has said he has anxiety and a lot of trouble with lines, which shows through quite a bit. He’s quirky. 

(edited)

I’ve got a gut feeling that Mouch will die during a fire rescue at the end of this season.  He’s been receiving accolades from his coworkers recently and now we learn he will be awarded some sort of official commendation.....which could be a sign.

I still enjoy the show but admit to being sick to death of Stella.  I do hear some of your concerns about storylines not being as compelling as they once were, and agree, but I tend to think that could be Covid-19 related.  My guess is that the city of Chicago didn’t allow a lot of filming on their streets during this time.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

I’ve got a gut feeling that Mouch will die during a fire rescue at the end of this season.  He’s been receiving accolades from his coworkers recently and now we learn he will be awarded some sort of official commendation.  

I still enjoy the show but admit to being sick to death of Stella.  I do hear some of your concerns about storylines not being as compelling as they once were, and agree, but I tend to think that could be Covid-19 related.  My guess is that the city of Chicago didn’t allow a lot of filming on their streets during this time.

I agree it's weird that Mouch has had some sentimental focus, but I don't see how Mouch dying does anything for the current major storyline. There's no room for another officer at 51, which stonewalls Kidd's progress. If she wants to be promoted to lieutenant, she'll need to leave 51. If anyone is going to leave, it would be her or one of the existing officers (Casey, Severide, or Herrmann). A far-fetched move would be Boden leaves/dies/retires, Casey is promoted to batt chief, and then Kidd becomes the Truck lieutenant. Mouch dying opens a regular spot on Truck, which doesn't solve the Kidd problem.

Season 7 began the lackluster investigation storylines. A good 2/3 of that season was investigations. It continued in season 8, and now season 9. It's not COVID. (And, really, the uninspired writing issues stem back to season 5, but I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.)

• Love 2

Casey, Severide, I'm not sure what universe you guys work in, but, in the real world, not one bit of that evidence you unearthed would be admissible in a court of law.  A decent attorney would roll right over you.  And you'll be lucky if CFD isn't sued to high heaven and back afterward, since it can be documented that Severide told the guy confidential information about the business owner, and as such is indirectly responsible for the assault and battery on him.

Why couldn't the dentist administer some sedative to his patient and do the same thing as Sylvie did with the drill?  Dentists are doctors.

Next day in the Chicago Tribune:  Local woman finds rare breed of cat at yard sale, worth $5,000.

• Love 4
On 5/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, TM101 said:

Oh look! Another episode where Casey and Severide play Detective and save the day!

Super Severide and Super Casey ride again. Now, they've taken the next step. Running undercover stings.

Another episode that is just plain laughable.

So boring, so predictable, so cringe-worthy.

Stella passing the LT exam on her first try was as predictable as the sky is blue. First and foremost is the fact that Stella is NOT a lieutenant yet. Yes, she passed the exam, but until an actual Lieutenant position comes open, she, like everyone else who's passed the exam is on a list of names next in line for Lieutenant. And as stated earlier, Hermann is a prime example of this. But of course, the writers will again assumed that us viewers our dumb, and don't remember Hermann's path, and instantly try to push their shining star, Stella-Sue, to a Lieutenant's role. That's why the promo for next week's episode just makes no sense. Talk about Kidd's future, and stating the obvious that there are no spots her and she'll need to go elsewhere. This isn't breaking news. Most of us knew this from the moment Boden sent Stella down the Lieutenant's storyline path.

It must be stated though that the news is that Taylor Kinney has not renewed his contract. That could change, but if it doesn't, I could totally see a version of events where Severide gets killed in the season finale, which ends Stellaride (YAY!!), and everyone at 51 would be honored if Stella takes his vacant lieutenant post. And it could be interesting to see how Stella navigates that when she doesn't have Kelly constantly saying "You got this Stella Kidd." But then again, she has no Squad experience, so it would make no sense for her to lead a Squad team with no experience doing Squad.

And of course, the episode wouldn't be complete without another investigation storyline. They're actually surprised the delivery driver was in the wind? WTH did they expect? They talk to the guy and discuss details of the investigation with him with points to him being at fault, when they have no authority at all to detain him. Because, of course, they are not police. So of course the guy is going to run. And as Dowel Jones mentioned, all that evidence found at the warehouse, and obtained from the delivery guy would be inadmissible in a criminal case. And why is Burgess, of Intelligence, giving two non-law enforcement officers all this pertinent info? And that's on top of the fact that Burgess being involved in this type of case makes no sense, as it further shows that the show runners just want to include a crossover character to showcase the One Chicago universe.

This show just continues to deteriorate each week.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

And of course, the episode wouldn't be complete without another investigation storyline. They're actually surprised the delivery driver was in the wind? WTH did they expect? They talk to the guy and discuss details of the investigation with him with points to him being at fault, when they have no authority at all to detain him. Because, of course, they are not police. So of course the guy is going to run. And as Dowel Jones mentioned, all that evidence found at the warehouse, and obtained from the delivery guy would be inadmissible in a criminal case. And why is Burgess, of Intelligence, giving two non-law enforcement officers all this pertinent info? And that's on top of the fact that Burgess being involved in this type of case makes no sense, as it further shows that the show runners just want to include a crossover character to showcase the One Chicago universe.

This show just continues to deteriorate each week.

Well, let's not worry about pesky laws & boring things like that. Like IU are the ones to call, just this week that idiot blonde broke into a suspects house illegally looking for evidence that would also be thrown out, and in the end they chased the guy after pathetically 'hiding' behind a hunk of wood & then had to shoot him when he took a civilian hostage & lied to cover it up....yep....laws, who needs them.

If the cops can't follow the law, why would these psuedo firecops?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

It must be stated though that the news is that Taylor Kinney has not renewed his contract. That could change, but if it doesn't, I could totally see a version of events where Severide gets killed in the season finale, which ends Stellaride (YAY!!), and everyone at 51 would be honored if Stella takes his vacant lieutenant post. And it could be interesting to see how Stella navigates that when she doesn't have Kelly constantly saying "You got this Stella Kidd." But then again, she has no Squad experience, so it would make no sense for her to lead a Squad team with no experience doing Squad  

If Kinney left (fingers crossed...sorry, can’t stand him and the character), before ever thinking of giving Squad to Kidd, I hope they would reveal that Casey has been Squad certified all this time and move him over to Squad to honor his friend. That could be an interesting shakeup of dynamics. Or, get rid of Squad altogether and downsize the cast; Squad rarely goes out on calls, Severide solves more crime than doing anything fire/rescue related, and Tony/Capp are great guest stars, and I just realized I forgot Cruz exists (just like the writers). And, even better, get rid of Severide and Kidd at the same time, almost like a Doug Ross and Carol Hathaway thing from ER. 

All the possibilities....

• Love 1
On 5/18/2021 at 12:29 AM, WinJet0819 said:

It must be stated though that the news is that Taylor Kinney has not renewed his contract. That could change, but if it doesn't, I could totally see a version of events where Severide gets killed in the season finale, which ends Stellaride (YAY!!), and everyone at 51 would be honored if Stella takes his vacant lieutenant post. And it could be interesting to see how Stella navigates that when she doesn't have Kelly constantly saying "You got this Stella Kidd." But then again, she has no Squad experience, so it would make no sense for her to lead a Squad team with no experience doing Squad.

Interesting.  But as you said, there's no way that Kidd is anywhere close to being Squad certified.  They have to SCUBA dive, for one, and an episode just a year or two back showed that she'd never done it before.  She couldn't be rescued certified in that amount of time.  I would buy the argument that Casey is Squad certified, but never Kidd.  

I know this show loves to bend the truth and reality, but that would be one line crossed too far.

I just watched Zero Dark Thirty recently and Taylor Kinney had a very small role in it.  He was good, playing a Navy SEAL opposite Chris Pratt.  But this is his most lucrative job, and unless he's got something else lined up or there's a reason to absolutely hate the set of CF, I don't see why he wouldn't stay.  These are NBC's highest rated scripted shows (I think) so he and Jesse Spencer should be making plenty of money.

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Interesting.  But as you said, there's no way that Kidd is anywhere close to being Squad certified.  They have to SCUBA dive, for one, and an episode just a year or two back showed that she'd never done it before.  She couldn't be rescued certified in that amount of time.  I would buy the argument that Casey is Squad certified, but never Kidd.  

I know this show loves to bend the truth and reality, but that would be one line crossed too far.

I just watched Zero Dark Thirty recently and Taylor Kinney had a very small role in it.  He was good, playing a Navy SEAL opposite Chris Pratt.  But this is his most lucrative job, and unless he's got something else lined up or there's a reason to absolutely hate the set of CF, I don't see why he wouldn't stay.  These are NBC's highest rated scripted shows (I think) so he and Jesse Spencer should be making plenty of money.

Sometimes, it's not always about money. Julianna Margulies choosing to leave ER, and walk away from millions while the show was still at its peak is a prime example. She had nothing lined up either when she left, but she landed on her feet.

8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

See, I’m surprised Kinney has stayed this long. Besides a supporting role in Zero Dark Thirty, his biggest claim to fame is being formerly engaged to Lady Gaga and being the #2 or #3 (depending on how Eamonn Walker’s “and” is interpreted) on Fire. I thought he’d try to use Fire to springboard to his own show and get back to LA.

I kinda even think Jesse Spencer is wasting some good years on Fire, and he’s #1, but he really doesn’t need anything else after House and 9 years on this show. Seventeen to possibly 18+ straight years being a lead on hit network shows is pretty impressive. He's in a good spot, except his show keeps getting more ridiculous.

In any event, Netflix, Prime, and Disney+ seem to be the places to be, these days. Fire pulls in strong ratings, but network ratings and demos are slowly nosediving overall. Audiences are moving. 

(Rumor is the set of Fire is brutal. They film long days in any weather in Chicago. A few of the originals have interviewed about sustaining permanent injuries from the earlier days, when they were filming multiple fires/heavy rescues per episode. I think it's a love it or hate it type deal, which explains why so many originals are still around while so many newbies end up leaving so quickly. My pet theory is that season 7+ turned so heavy toward investigations and mini rescues because Spencer and Kinney put some clauses into their contracts about physical workload, but I've got nothing to back that up except observations.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1