Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08 Add-A-Bead

• Start Topic

ViCAP investigates what appears to be a suicide of a medical student; Krendler secretly collects a DNA sample from the man he suspects attacked Clarice at Woodhaven.

Well, Krendler manned up. I kinda figured he would, knowing he's got a lot of story left.

And Ardelia finally sees the light, took her long enough.

• Love 2
(edited)

This show is supposed to be a direct sequel to the “Silence of the Lambs” movie, they reshot the films ending with Buffalo Bill to match the movie exactly, they have the same costumes and music, etc. So where the hell did Clarice suddenly having a family come from!? In the film Clarice says that her mother died when she was young and she had no one else so her father was everything to her. Lecter even specifically says to Clarice, “After your father’s death you were orphaned. What happened next?” And she tells him of going to live with her mother’s cousin on the cattle ranch, and trying to save the screaming lambs from being slaughtered, which is where the title of the film comes from! She was never sent to an orphanage because her mother didn’t want her!

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Msample said:

Weird not have any scenes or even mention of Kal  Penns character.

Very. Did he leave the show? I checked IMDB and he was listed for 7 episodes (and this was this 8th) whereas everyone else is listed for 12.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Msample said:

They did mention him twice:

When Clarice & Esquivel were looking at the gum wrapper with writing inside, Esquivel  said: "looks like Hebrew, where's Tripathi when you need him?".

Later, in the office, Esquivel  asks Murray: "Did you here from Tripathi yet?", to which he replies: "He's out in Chicago, helping out his wife's parents" and Esquivel  mentions that his wife passed.

The question of why Kal Penns seems to have taken a break, is of course still open.

Edited by meira.hand
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

I admit I fell asleep before the end, but I'm positive I saw and heard Kal Penn. All I remember is that he was in a hallway with someone else.

12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

So where the hell did Clarice suddenly having a family come from!?

I asked this a while back, and someone responded that in the original (1988) novel, Clarice had siblings. Not sure why they're mixing and matching the novel and the movie; it certainly doesn't make it any more interesting🥱

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It is hard to stay invested in this show.  They have so many weeks off.  The news sounds like it will probably be cancelled.  I watch and wonder if I will even get an answer to half the questions I have.  I want to like this show more than I do.

• Love 7

I know that TV scheduling is kind of weird right now, but its so hard to get into this show when its so sporadically showing new episodes, especially when they are trying for this very serialized story. I always end up forgetting half of what happened in the last one and what everyone is talking about. I tend to like the case of the week episodes better then the ones focusing on this boring conspiracy, so this week wasn't one of my favorites. I guess we will get more follow up about the med students suicide later because its part of the conspiracy? 

I didn't know Clarice had siblings, I guess she does in the books, so will we meet them? Is her mom still alive? When did she live on the farm with the lambs? The lambs are kind of important and all that.

I am glad that they didn't draw out Krendler hiding his connections to the bad guys for too long and that he was upfront about what was going on. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Msample said:

I noticed his absence, too. But I'm presuming he's still on the show. Just may not have been part of the episode for whatever reason. 

I liked Clarice's moments with the therapist. 

• Love 1

This shows erratic scheduling is going to be the death knell for it. Someone said it was due to production delays. I don't buy that - if that was the case, they could have just waited til they had the entire season in the can. I can't recall a series that was ever aired in such a disjointed fashion. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Eh, I can buy that. A lot of shows have had very disjointed scheduling this season because of COVID, and there probably were some delays here and there in filming for various reasons related to that as a result. Sure, U agree that in many ways, it would've been better to wait and air the season all at once after it filmed, as it would've for any other shows that have had stop and start scheduling this season. But that would've left the networks with very little to air as a result, and would've cost them a lot of money, so no way was that going to happen. 

• Love 2
On 5/7/2021 at 10:00 AM, sempervivum said:

I admit I fell asleep before the end, but I'm positive I saw and heard Kal Penn. All I remember is that he was in a hallway with someone else.

I asked this a while back, and someone responded that in the original (1988) novel, Clarice had siblings. Not sure why they're mixing and matching the novel and the movie; it certainly doesn't make it any more interesting🥱

I believe it’s because of the various rights . The TV show can’t use much or anything from the movie, hence I believe they have to use the book. The writers can muck it up from there.

https://www.thewrap.com/cbs-clarice-hannibal-lecter/

• Useful 3
14 hours ago, rtms77 said:

I believe it’s because of the various rights . The TV show can’t use much or anything from the movie, hence I believe they have to use the book. The writers can muck it up from there.

https://www.thewrap.com/cbs-clarice-hannibal-lecter/

That’s not what that link says. They don’t have the rights to use the name of Hannibal Lecter because he was introduced in an earlier novel, there’s no mention of anything else from the film being off limits. 
They use the same onscreen text as the film, they reshot the ending of the film where Clarice shoots Buffalo Bill to look exactly the same, they had Clarice wearing the same outfit that Jodie wore in the film. The music is meant to sound very similar to Howard Shore’s score.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/7/2021 at 11:57 AM, LakeGal said:

It is hard to stay invested in this show.  They have so many weeks off.  The news sounds like it will probably be cancelled.  I watch and wonder if I will even get an answer to half the questions I have.  I want to like this show more than I do.

It's so annoying. I know the ratings are not the best, but the crazy scheduling is not helping matters. They recently finished filming. I don't know how true this is but I hear S1 made up of only 10 episodes. I was falling asleep during this episode. It was way slower than usual and the series is already too slow. So in the '90s medical examiners didn't know if a woman was pregnant or not?  Given most pregnant women are killed by a partner or former partner wouldn't that be something they would have looked into?  Her husband was killed in their home country, so he wasn't the father.  

Edited by Simba122504
typo
  • Love 1