Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: She's Back

• Start Topic

Don't really care about Malika's story. Not interested at all, all the unnecessary drama. And the editing set up was pretty ridiculous too. It made it seem like she was all day sitting by the pool while life happened around her.

Since I hate stand up comedy, I just hope that whole thing is finished, now that Alice was betrayed by the other ones. Or maybe she will become the comedian woman's  protegée.

Finally, Mariana didn't lie, Let's see how that goes.

Peeve: I don't know, or know of, any attorney who wears stilettos all day, every day, just because they are now an attorney. Such a stereotype, that the profession turns someone immediately into an arrogant, "I am better than the rest" person. Seriously, Callie makes very little money to pretend she is all that by what she wears and how she walks. She is not. Just go to a courthouse and see how newly minted attorneys are running around in the most comfortable shoes they can have that are not sneakers.

And please, the charges against Kathleen are serious, she would NEVER hire anyone like Callie, with little to ZERO court experience. She is going against the fucking government. I have a felling they are setting up for Kathleen playing Callie and making her fail so much, it will be a mistrial due to incompetence of something like that. Which will be Constance Zimmer's good bye to the show.

Now, tell me if these two thoughts came to your mind:

- There is no baby

- Gael clearly doesn't care about protection - there was no attempt to "understand" how Isabella could get pregnant - so Callie has had unprotected sex with Gael, and Jamie, and the co-worker, while Gael also had sex with his other boyfriend? Have they heard about STDs?

I like Davia more and more and, I do like her story but that petition thing is not going to end well. 

Dennis, go away.

1 hour ago, circumvent said:

And please, the charges against Kathleen are serious, she would NEVER hire anyone like Callie, with little to ZERO court experience. She is going against the fucking government. I have a felling they are setting up for Kathleen playing Callie and making her fail so much, it will be a mistrial due to incompetence of something like that. Which will be Constance Zimmer's good bye to the show.

Yeah, it makes no sense for Kathleen to hire Callie as her attorney. No one would hire a brand new attorney to represent them on serious charges unless they had no money or were a complete idiot. We know Kathleen is a well-known lawyer so she has money, and is clearly intelligent. She also must know a ton of experienced lawyers, I am sure one of them would be willing to take her case no matter what she did.

My thought was she thinks she can somehow manipulate Callie somehow. 

I am kind of disappointed we won't get to see the murder trial they set up last week play out. It might have been interesting to see Callie and her two colleagues try to defend him on their own, but it doesn't look like that is where they were going. It would also be pretty unrealistic, that family seemed to have money to hire someone more experienced as well.

Of course Isabella shows up pregnant. There was a reason she had to randomly sleep with Gael before disappearing earlier this season.

Interesting to see Mariana's team getting stuck because of the salary thing. Is that realistic? I can see someone not wanting to hire her because of that, but this woman was just a financial backer. In that case, being a "troublemaker" is sort of a plus because it shows she can get things done.

I don't like the idea of them suing Evan though, even if Mariana wasn't sleeping with him. Didn't he adjust salaries as soon as he found out about the gender gap? And he fired those two assholes that were doing most of the harassment.

I wonder if Margaret Cho really believes what she had to say about leaning into stereotypes to get ahead. 

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 4

Kathleen probably wants to act as her own defense and run the case behind the scene, with Callie being her puppet in front. Kathleen doesn't know Callie very well! Callie is not experienced enough for this case, but she's also not an obedient puppet. It's also possible that Kathleen wants to use Callie for part of her team, and isn't actually planning to put her in the front of things. A case like this could arguably have more than one lawyer on board, and Callie could be a useful tool for whatever the plan is.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2021 at 9:48 PM, Aliconehead said:

I am calling it now Kathleen helped the wife escape and create a new life to get away from the husband.  The wife is alive and living free.  

I think you nailed it, that is totally where this is heading. Even if she did really help the wife get away, I still don't know how much I trust her. No way do I buy her just allowing a brand new lawyer be in charge of her case, especially when she is up against the federal government on really serious charges. I am guessing she basically wants to run her own defense and use Callie as a figurehead. I also really don't get why Callie is so pissed at Jamie, its like they cant have a single conversation without her rolling her eyes and accusing him of being shady. How dare he have a girlfriend after her! 

This episode was really high on the melodrama, love triangles, baby mamma's, secret romances revealed, storming out in a huff of righteous indignation, courtroom antics, dramatic reappearances, such drama. 

I wonder if Margaret Cho had much input on the episode, I don't know if she would be so alright with this ridiculously stereotypical and unfunny humor. I think there is a story to be told about comics feeling pressured to play into stereotypes and certain parts of the comedy world angrily griping about the "PC police" keeping comedy from being edgy enough, but these skits they're showing us are just so...bad. Not even just offensive, which they are, but also just really unfunny and lame, and they don't really seem in step with what little I know of the comedy scene. Margaret Cho thought that the "Dumb Asian" skit was funny? Really? The first story they give Alice not almost all about her terrible taste in women, and its this? 

Even if Mariana wasn't dating Evan, I don't think they should sue him anyway. He did try really hard to make their workplace better, raising salaries and firing the two main asshole guys, there is only so much that he can do even as CEO, especially considering its pretty much said that before he met Mariana he had little to do with the day to day running of the company. 

Of course Dennis shows up again right now as Davia moves on. And of course Isabella shows up pregnant with Gael's baby, possibly anyway. Gael should ask for a paternity test, even if he was dumb enough not to use protecting after sleeping with Isabella. Such drama. 

Isaac might have been more amenable to what Malika wanted if he didn't feel so ambushed. It was also one of the times the out of order editing just makes things confusing, when was all this happening? Was her other boyfriend just hanging out waiting to see what Isaac thought? 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I feel like the show is about to get cancelled because no one's on here, lol.

21 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I am calling it now Kathleen helped the wife escape and create a new life to get away from the husband.  The wife is alive and living free.  

Agreed! Also cosign the lack of believability that legal powerhouse Kathleen would hire a flighty mid-20s glorified intern to defend her against potential suspicion of murder, ffs. Pure fanfiction. Callie facing off against Jaime worked pretty well, though, which is obviously what this plot is built around. I'm sure Callie will be shocked to discover Jaime has become the feds' lead prosecutor by the time the trial rolls around.

Not kidding, I said "What happened to Isabella?" and she popped up 3 seconds later. What a cliche "twist." Totally calling fake pregnancy, because there's no way the writers would saddle eye candy Gael with a baby, much less one with a side character. Speaking of, what are they doing with her characterization? Are they still going the Single White Female route? She was this mysterious enigma last block with all kinds of questionable motives, only for the writers to totally dispose of her this block until they needed her to return with Chekov's fetus. Did anyone even mention her?

So are Callie and Gael like...the designated Official Couple of the show now? Because 1) I don't see it and 2) throwing in a supposed baby as a roadblock is melodramatic as hell and they're going through an awful lot of will they/won't they for a friends-with-benefits arrangement. Just let them look pretty and fuck.

On that note, now that Mariana and Evan don't work together, it looks like he just sits around his gigantic loft waiting to have sex with her, which makes me laugh. The app storyline bores me to tears, but I could appreciate the continuity of the salary thing coming back to bite her.

Why does Malika have to have all her non-monogamy convo/thoughts around the pool? Is it the Pool of Polyamory or something? For being a very interesting premise, that plot has become repetitive very quickly. She just cries while the guys sit there.

Oh, Davia's new dude, we (literally) hardly knew ye. Sure, he redefined milquetoast, but I still viscerally cringed when Dennis reappeared. Dennis is just so, so selfish and horrible for Davia's mental health. You know she'll going running back to Dennis as soon as he blinks in her direction, ugh. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think she nailed it, that is totally where this is heading. Even if she did really help the wife get away, I still don't know how much I trust her. No way do I buy her just allowing a brand new lawyer be in charge of her case, especially when she is up against the federal government on really serious charges. I am guessing she basically wants to run her own defense and use Callie as a figurehead. I also really don't get why Callie is so pissed at Jamie, its like they cant have a single conversation without her rolling her eyes and accusing him of being shady. How dare he have a girlfriend after her! 

I think Callie is pissed at Jamie because he broke up with her.  It was because of what she did, but she even said she didn't think stealing his files and leaking the info would end the relationship. She's apparently a bit naïve about relationships. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Callie facing off against Jaime worked pretty well, though, which is obviously what this plot is built around.

Yes, it played well if we ignore that her "excuse I am speaking now" would likely get a rebuke from the judge. There is a "code of conduct" in court which is basically a bunch of words and behaviors one must and must not use when addressing the court and each other. I am pretty sure that outrageous "don't interrupt me" is not one of them. Courts are boring. The excitement only exists on TV shows.

• Love 2
On 4/23/2021 at 1:11 PM, tennisgurl said:

Of course Dennis shows up again right now as Davia moves on. And of course Isabella shows up pregnant with Gael's baby, possibly anyway. Gael should ask for a paternity test, even if he was dumb enough not to use protecting after sleeping with Isabella. Such drama. 

Dumb enough to not use protection? He is also dumb enough to not buy curtains for his loft.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Dumb enough to not use protection? He is also dumb enough to not buy curtains for his loft.

Irresponsible enough to have sex with multiple partners, men and women, who apparently are also irresponsible enough to have their own multiple partners.

Gael - Boyfriend 

Gael - Callie - Jamie/Office colleague (Jamie with new girlfriend)

Gael - Isabella - Raj - Mariana

If Gael has unprotected sex and the other partners accept, it is not unreasonable to think that they also don't care about protected sex

• Love 1
11 hours ago, circumvent said:

If Gael has unprotected sex and the other partners accept, it is not unreasonable to think that they also don't care about protected sex

How would they have handled masking and social distancing if their universe contained COVID!

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2
On 4/23/2021 at 4:11 PM, tennisgurl said:

I wonder if Margaret Cho had much input on the episode, I don't know if she would be so alright with this ridiculously stereotypical and unfunny humor. I think there is a story to be told about comics feeling pressured to play into stereotypes and certain parts of the comedy world angrily griping about the "PC police" keeping comedy from being edgy enough, but these skits they're showing us are just so...bad. Not even just offensive, which they are, but also just really unfunny and lame, and they don't really seem in step with what little I know of the comedy scene. Margaret Cho thought that the Unfunny Asian skit was funny? Really? The first story they give Alice not almost all about her terrible taste in women, and its this? 

I was curious about that, too. I totally bought the "eh, play the game till you get some power, then change things" advice from her, but now she does have power and she had nothing to say in that meeting? Very strange. Unless she was holding back for a reason to be revealed later, who knows.

I also am just a little confused about why that guy is in charge of the diversity workshop. I know there's plenty of people in comedy like that man, but if you're specifically in that job, it feels like his attitude could be a little more nuanced but instead he's all, "Gross, the PC police!" like he's Tucker Carlson or something. It's sort of exhausting the way all the antagonists on this show are so one-dimensional (see also: artist dude Gael was interning for).

So not into Gael/Callie but, yeah, apparently they're the central match-up to root for now?

I can't help it, I love Dennis and Davia. Intellectually I know it's wrong, but I just love them together.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I can't help it, I love Dennis and Davia. Intellectually I know it's wrong, but I just love them together.

You loved them as a couple, or how their beautiful voices blended together?

• Love 1

God this episode was so predictable,  Like every plot point I could see happening.  I wish at some point it was surprising.

I knew that those people would not have Alice's back.  Sure a lot of people talk big  and let off steam, that is normal.  But the way the whole thing unfolded was predictable,  Of course Alice would believe their big talk and go out on the limb and make the big swing thinking they would back her up. And of course they didn't, complete with guilty eyes.  I actually liked Lindsey the most here especially with her line: "He he makes another It's Pat joke I am gonna..... grin and bear it. I am not gonna do anything." 

And then there is the whole Callie storyline.  I predicted last week that baby lawyer Callie would suddenly be the one arguing a murder case.  Because of course.  Also let's do something really unheard and never before seen on tv and pit her against her ex arguing a case to showcase all that sexual animosity because of their break up?  Maybe if Callie had listened to Jamie instead of being a putz and had gone to Kathleen in the first place they could have avoided all this.  Yeah, I'd want Callie for my lawyer.

And then there is Dennis coming back at just the right time when Davia has moved on. Because of course.

And then there is Isabella showing up pregnant.  Because  of course.

And then there is the  Mariana storyline.  Of course something would comeback to derail their moment of triumph and it would require the Evan reveal.   Although I don't know why would a backer of a start up app care about that particular issue?  Especially since Mariana was right as a feminist political issue it could be spun as a positive and publicity generator.  And why not just tell her that in the first place?  Why pass it off on the boss not liking it?  And once again her girl power team don't strike me as too smart.  Hey let's sue and get money.  How will they pay for a lawyer?  And if their supposed act of outing salaries is as big a scandal as they are making it out to be how would that not work against them.  And I find it interesting that Mariana only chose to reveal that Evan is her boyfriend (bad enough) but not that he was the reason they got the pitch in the first place.  Yeah, her girl gang aren;t bright but man she kinda screwed them.

The Malika storyline is all kinds of cringe to me.  I was over her glowing swimming pool of romantic angst by the second scene.  I laughed at Isaac proclaiming he understands if "this is who you are."  How the heck does she know she is poly?  She has literally never been in a real poly relationship.  The writers are not writing this storyline with any semblance of understanding or knowledge. Instead it is simply coming across as a woman who is attracted to her co-worker and doesn't want to ignore it.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

And then there is the whole Callie storyline.  I predicted last week that baby lawyer Callie would suddenly be the one arguing a murder case.  Because of course

Yes to your whole post but emphasizing this part because I will repeat: if this show has a planned finale (as opposed to being cancelled) they will do a time jump and Callie will be having her hearings for SCOTUS. I am not even being sarcastic. I would bet this idea has crossed the show runners' mind.

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

You loved them as a couple, or how their beautiful voices blended together?

100% as a couple. I don't even remember them singing together before a couple weeks ago (which was beautiful), so if they did it definitely wasn't the part that stuck with me!

• Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 7:40 AM, DearEvette said:

Hey let's sue and get money.  How will they pay for a lawyer?

It's the type of case that would be handled on contingency.  The real problem is that even if their case was strong enough for a lawyer to take on, it isn't an instant payday.  It would likely be at least a year or two before they saw money.  I've filed 2 civil suits.  Both settled out of court.  One took 4-5 years from filing to payment.  The other I filed in 2019 and settled a few weeks ago and I'll hopefully see a payment from it by the end of this year and the second payment will be at the end of next year -- granted this case was very complex and COVID slowed shit down.  If you go to trial it can take longer.  But it's not fast money and I can only imagine that brain trust facing Spekulate's lawyers in depositions or on the stand.  Marianna was fucking in closets in the office and then started fucking her boss.  She's not the posterchild plaintiff for a workplace gender based discrimination suit.

• Love 1

Interesting sidenote on the whole diversity showcase plotline: Stephen Guarino, who plays the clueless director of the showcase, is (in real life) an alum of the 2011 CBS Diversity Showcase, which I'm sure this is supposed to be loosely based on. He is now the co-director, along with Tess Paras.

This is a video that Tess wrote/directed/starred in for the 2013 showcase. Stephen is in it, as the casting director.

So, in real life, there is more creative input from the performers, and the overall tone leans more toward skewering those stereotypes than leaning into them. That having been said, I'm sure there are also a lot of stories like those depicted in the show from various experiences of trying to get past gatekeepers in all facets of the industry!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, auntiemel said:

This is a video that Tess wrote/directed/starred in for the 2013 showcase. Stephen is in it, as the casting director.

So, in real life, there is more creative input from the performers, and the overall tone leans more toward skewering those stereotypes than leaning into them. That having been said, I'm sure there are also a lot of stories like those depicted in the show from various experiences of trying to get past gatekeepers in all facets of the industry!

See, this video is both funny and pointing out real problems, while all the skits they made all season fail to do either, IMO. I don't really care for stand-up comedy in general, but I hope that they don't abandon the storyline next season without some proper resolution, as they are prone to do. BTW, do we know if this was just a spring finale or the season finale? Are there any more episodes guaranteed, or do we now wait if the show gets renewed?

Regarding other storylines, I don't know, I like this show and I don't want to be mean, but sometimes I get the feeling as if the writers are doing a disservice to some of the messages they are trying to highlight. Especially in Marianna's storyline this season - they show us an all women team, but make them act kind of incompetent, with the lack of planning and Marianna keeping secrets from the rest of the team. There are legitimate reasons why they would not succeed immediately - they have no marketing skills and it seems that all of them have same technical expertise when what they would ideally need is a mix of skills. I think it would look more balanced if the show focused on some of that, but they are making them look very unprofessional and childish (seriously, the whole presentation was cringeworthy). I just hope that nobody gets the message that female teams are this terrible from this. 

And now they did something similar with Gael, because of course that bisexual people who sleep around don't care about protection. Sigh. I'm not an expert or anything, but from what I heard LGBT+ men are generally more careful about safe sex than women and straight men, especially when they have multiple partners. I really don't see Gael not being careful. It's like they wanted to add a storyline about pregnany on top of everything else and couldn't find who to stick it on.

Sorry about the rant, I still like the show, I swear : )

• Love 2
11 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

See, this video is both funny and pointing out real problems, while all the skits they made all season fail to do either, IMO. I don't really care for stand-up comedy in general, but I hope that they don't abandon the storyline next season without some proper resolution, as they are prone to do. BTW, do we know if this was just a spring finale or the season finale? Are there any more episodes guaranteed, or do we now wait if the show gets renewed?

Regarding other storylines, I don't know, I like this show and I don't want to be mean, but sometimes I get the feeling as if the writers are doing a disservice to some of the messages they are trying to highlight. Especially in Marianna's storyline this season - they show us an all women team, but make them act kind of incompetent, with the lack of planning and Marianna keeping secrets from the rest of the team. There are legitimate reasons why they would not succeed immediately - they have no marketing skills and it seems that all of them have same technical expertise when what they would ideally need is a mix of skills. I think it would look more balanced if the show focused on some of that, but they are making them look very unprofessional and childish (seriously, the whole presentation was cringeworthy). I just hope that nobody gets the message that female teams are this terrible from this. 

And now they did something similar with Gael, because of course that bisexual people who sleep around don't care about protection. Sigh. I'm not an expert or anything, but from what I heard LGBT+ men are generally more careful about safe sex than women and straight men, especially when they have multiple partners. I really don't see Gael not being careful. It's like they wanted to add a storyline about pregnany on top of everything else and couldn't find who to stick it on.

Sorry about the rant, I still like the show, I swear : )

Comes back for the second half of season 3 sometime in mid-July!

• Love 1