Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E10: The Knockouts Premiere

• Start Topic

Snoop Dogg serves as Mega Mentor to all of the teams on the first night of the Knockouts. The coaches pair their artists to perform individually against a teammate, then select a winner to move on to the Live Playoffs. Each coach has one steal during the Knockouts.

Original airdate: 4/19/21

I rarely watch this show, but was surfing and got caught up in it — maybe it was seeing Snoop!  Enjoyed him and his comments.

To me, the younger country singer was just a little too bland.  He had a nice voice, but maybe needed something extra to make more of an impression?

Edit:  I also love how John Legend gets into the songs and performances!

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 3

Most of the artists similar to Jordan stall out.  I thought he was meh. His competitor had a much better voice.  It makes me wonder if Blake isn’t making the playing field easier for his old friend, who’s on his team.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

Ethan has a great voice but lacking individuality. Nevertheless I would have gone with him over Jordan. Jordan sounded really flat on the low notes. 

Pete is probably my favorite performer of the night. I loved the way he sauntered across the stage when he was singing. Weirdly engaging stage presence. Andrew I thought was a better singer but more bland.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Thumper said:

I rarely watch this show, but was surfing and got caught up in it — maybe it was seeing Snoop!  Enjoyed him and his comments.

To me, the younger country singer was just a little too bland.  He had a nice voice, but maybe needed something extra to make more of an impression?

Edit:  I also love how John Legend gets into the songs and performances!

I was surprised by how much I liked Snoop.  I’d like to see him again.  I have a feeling he’d put energy into being a coach and it would be about the contestants.

I understand what you are saying about Ethan.  I’d always hate it when the judges would say to someone that got no turns to go work hard and come back in a year.  This seemed like one of those cases.  How old is he?

Again hope that the coaches choose to continue assisting their contestants.  

• Love 3

Thoughts from the next morning:

Now that I've seen how the KO played out, I'm even more convinced that that Nick didn't really want want to steal Keegan. Or possibly he told the producers "Hey, there isn't really anyone that I think is going to be in a position to be stolen that I'm dying to take" and they just said...well take Keegan then and our diversity #s go up a little bit. Because why on earth would you steal him only to pair him up with Dana to not even be competitive? Competitive under the parameters of the show. I can't stand Dana, and would've put through Keegan but I knew there was about a snowballs chance in that happening last night.

I wonder if Blake maybe came in to this season wanting to Champion a couple road dogs. Because I'm a little mystified as to why he's jettisoned Avery (who at least is still in the competition) and Ethan in favor of Jordan. Pete (with the connection to Blake from their younger Nashville days) is a lot easier to understand.

To me, out of everyone last night Corey was the revelation. I had been pretty lukewarm on him during his 1st performances (and other than the sob story about his Mom, I didn't really get why he was the lone person from last season to get that miraculous second chance). He stepped up in a big way. Really, Ryleigh did as well. She did about as well as I've heard a female cover Use Somebody so I've got zero complaints she made Team John's team for the Live Playoffs.

Victor does nothing for me, but my high hopes for Jean dissipated very quickly as he sounded awful from the jump compared to how he sounded in the Coaching/Mentoring session.

Again, Pia does very little for me. Her rendition of WTWNNIS was beautiful and yet kind of sleepy/low energy at the same time. I would've rewarded Ciana for tackling a super hard and super modern song. But knowing that of all the battle winners, she was the only one who had her battle not exactly montaged, but definitely shortened..I was relatively confident that Pia was going to win.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I was completely shocked that Blake went with the blonde rocker over the young country singer.  I think it was a strategic misfire as I think the younger guy has more "likability" to him than does Jordan (?).

I don't think Jordan is likeable and I like the younger guy's voice more.  However, he was bland.  Last night, it seems like the coaches did go for the singers that have experience like Jordan, Dana, Pia, and Pete instead of the younger inexperienced singers.  They are more consistent.

6 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

To me, out of everyone last night Corey was the revelation. I had been pretty lukewarm on him during his 1st performances (and other than the sob story about his Mom, I didn't really get why he was the lone person from last season to get that miraculous second chance). He stepped up in a big way. Really, Ryleigh did as well. She did about as well as I've heard a female cover Use Somebody so I've got zero complaints she made Team John's team for the Live Playoffs.

Again, Pia does very little for me. Her rendition of WTWNNIS was beautiful and yet kind of sleepy/low energy at the same time. I would've rewarded Ciana for tackling a super hard and super modern song. But knowing that of all the battle winners, she was the only one who had her battle not exactly montaged, but definitely shortened..I was relatively confident that Pia was going to win.

The first knockout was my favorite.  Corey was also a revelation to me.  I like him before but he really stood out last night.  I also like Ryleigh.

Pia sounded beautiful in WTWNNIS even though she wouldn't have been my choice for the lives before the knockouts.  I think Ciana picked too big of a song for her.  I think she would have been chosen if she picked a different song.

My favorites of the night were Pete and the first guy that sang on Kelly's team, who she kept.

I didn't care for either rendition of the Temptation songs. I love the Temptations and listen to them quite often and their sound is so smooth. And the 2 that tried to sing their songs ruined them by trying to embellish them too much. So it was a big fat NO for me.

Kelly and Blake still have their steal, Blake usually waits until the end so I was surprised when he joined in with Nick and John to steal the first girl that sang on Kelly's team.

• Love 3