Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: Due Process

jewel21
  • Start Topic

It was nice to see an episode focus on Voight again.

Seriously, what does Jay see in Hailey?  She just told him that police brutality is fine, if the means justify the ends.  Umm... no.  She was fine in the beginning, when she mostly kept her mouth shut and was a detective in the background, but trying to make her into a main character has really ruined her.  She needs to go now.  Maybe Jay can date April from Med or someone else if they really need to give him a personal life.

Speaking of crossover relationships, where is Trudy??  We need more Trudy.  I can't remember the last time I saw her.  Eliminating the whole squad aspect of their department has basically eliminated Trudy too, and that's a real shame.

Interesting that Ruzek was ready to do anything, and it was Voight who stopped when the guy wanted a lawyer.  Yet the previews for next week make it seem like he and Burgess might work things out?  I don't like Burgess, but she needs to run.  Or maybe they are perfect for each other.  I don't actually know anymore.  Voight should have let Upton and Ruzek handle it, and the guy would have been carried out on a stretcher; neither of them seem to have any ethics or morals anymore.  Maybe that's why Voight didn't let them - he knew that.  Wow, I never thought I'd say that Hank has more ethics than someone else.

Halstead is clearly second in command now, based on seniority of the members left, and that Voight was radioing to him first.  When this show is finally cancelled, I wouldn't be surprised if the finale ends with Voight retiring (or getting arrested [again]) and Jay making Sergeant.  Then when everything is done by the book and the higher-ups have a yes-man, it would be boring to watch, so we don't need to see it.  

• Love 2

Great to get a case focused episode again. With everyone actually doing something for a change. Still not enough Atwater or Platt but a vast improvement. I would like to see more of the Voight/Miller dynamic (in a totally non-shippy way).

So I hope Jay added another red flag to his notebook about Felony Barbie, she facilitates murder, plants evidence, dismisses Atwater's concerns over race, lies constantly and now openly condones Police Misconduct. It beggars belief that people actually like this character. She's awful. It makes me laugh the 'fans' on twitter mainly who dismiss every one of her faults yet are all over other characters like ants on a picnic. Talk about blind obsession. Also why did she look like she'd been on a three week bender the entire episode?

Apparently she was a 'leader' and Atwater & Burgess are just 'sheep' following her when she told them to leave the scene. Ahhhh she wasn't leaving because she was being a leader or following orders, she was leaving because she wanted Voight to do her bidding. She's no better than Voight and Halstead, with his sliding morals (I mean he did beat the shit out of an abusive husband last season to appease his smug girlfriend) needs to grow a set. Right now, nobody in that team is even close to be a leader. Putting Jay in charge would be the death of this show. 

I read the comments on twitter before seeing the episode and was expecting that Ruzek went rogue. So I was kinda surprised in that scene when he stood back, both him and Voight obviously struggled to stay on the right side of the line and to be honest I would prefer to see them actually fight their instincts and learned behaviours than suddenly become all preachy & the a shining example of Policing, considering where this show has come from. I find that struggle far more interesting to watch.

As for the preview for the next episode....just no. (And I am a burzek fan).

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 2

Can someone explain why the disgraced officer being present at the scene jeopardize the arrest?  I was confused about that.  Did he have a restraining order on her?  Must be some kind of police bureaucracy thing where she was told to stay away but couldn't.

Impressed that Voight exercised restraint.  I wonder how much of the real world events impact how the writers portray these characters.  But we know who Voight is.  He's not a clean cop.  Still can't help that Hollywood is being influenced by the outside though.

• Love 2
On 4/22/2021 at 10:48 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

I guess the CPD hairstylist wasn’t available during this episode’s shootings, what a hair mess! 🙄🙄🙄

75D8FD4A-7E2F-4FD2-A284-44E1C86847D6.jpeg

She needs to control that hair when she's working.  Doesn't look safe to me.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

It's not safe and I've been complaining about this for years.   The same goes for Burgess' pony tail.  it's too easy fo grab.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, AnnA said:

It's not safe and I've been complaining about this for years.   The same goes for Burgess' pony tail.  it's too easy fo grab.

Right.  They should either cut their hair or wear it in a bun.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Right.  They should either cut their hair or wear it in a bun.

Exactly!    I thought these shows have a technical expert on site to prevent these mistakes.  Obviously, I was wrong.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, AnnA said:

I might be off base and not trying to make excuses for hair all over the place, but if the point is to prevent from grabbing, I guess those hoodies that they all wear on a regular basis, including the men, would pose the same kind of danger, since it's something loose on the back of their necks. 

Edited by Lya167
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, Lya167 said:

I might be off base and not trying to make excuses for hair all over the place, but if the point is to prevent from grabbing, I guess those hoodies that they all wear on a regular basis, including the men, would pose the same kind of danger, since it's something lose on the back of their necks. 

I don't remember seeing too many hoodies but I'm sure you're right. I do remember seeing quite a few knit hats though.   Regardless, grabbing someone by the hair is painful.

Edited by AnnA
5 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Hailey Upton can do no wrong in CPD’s world, that includes having vampire hair while working 🙄.

In many cop shows, female patrol officers always wear their hair in a bun (Lucy Chen The Rookie, Eddie Blue Bloods etc) but female detectives always have Hollywood hair.

1 hour ago, AnnA said:

I don't remember seeing too many hoodies but I'm sure you're right. I do remember seeing quite a few knit hats though.   Regardless, grabbing someone by the hair is painful.

They wear a lot of puffer jacket with hoodie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

They wear a lot of puffer jacket with hoodie.

Not only puffer, but also sweatshirts and jackets. As soon as the temperature drops in Chicago (which happens around episode 9 and forth), the hoodies come out. Maybe they expect us to keep cutting them slacks for all basic mistakes, under the pretext that it’s a TV show. I remember Chandler in Friends explaining why he and Joey liked watching Baywatch so much, it was never about their jobs, securing the bay and all, but rather the pretty people running around. Ironically, guess he might be right afterall.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:08 AM, greyhorse said:

Can someone explain why the disgraced officer being present at the scene jeopardize the arrest?  I was confused about that.  Did he have a restraining order on her?  Must be some kind of police bureaucracy thing where she was told to stay away but couldn't.

Impressed that Voight exercised restraint.  I wonder how much of the real world events impact how the writers portray these characters.  But we know who Voight is.  He's not a clean cop.  Still can't help that Hollywood is being influenced by the outside though.

Wasn't Officer Martinez on suspension?  Nicole Ari Parker wanted the conversation between her and Hank a secret, so I'm sure Martinez being on the scene of the arrest is a big nono. 

As far as the hair, yes people with long hair need to keep it under wraps for the above safety reasons.  

• Love 2

I know Upton isn't liked here.  But to criticize her hair?  Has nothing to do with the character.

Criticizing a pretty blonde with long hair for not wearing her hair in a bun while playing a cop is the same as wondering why the doctors on Chicago Med wear masks while they are outside and then take them off when they get inside the hospital.  Or why they aren't wearing a mask when they are talking to each other while scrubbing for surgery.

Networks don't pay for realism.  They pay for attractive actors showing their faces and bodies to get you to watch again.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I know Upton isn't liked here.  But to criticize her hair?  Has nothing to do with the character.

Criticizing a pretty blonde with long hair for not wearing her hair in a bun while playing a cop is the same as wondering why the doctors on Chicago Med wear masks while they are outside and then take them off when they get inside the hospital.  Or why they aren't wearing a mask when they are talking to each other while scrubbing for surgery.

Networks don't pay for realism.  They pay for attractive actors showing their faces and bodies to get you to watch again.

I personally wasn't criticizing how her hair looked.  I'm saying it's a nono for anybody with long hair to work in a dangerous environment.  Cops, firefighters, nurses, security, etc need to have their hair tucked away so it doesn't become their downfall.  I believe Lindsey wore hers short and Kim keeps hers short on duty. 

For TV I think masks are a different story since direct communication is key for a show.  I don't watch Chicago Med so I can't reference the scene.  But since masks are 100% in all hospitals you can't have a show where masks never come off

Once again, an episode that is case-driven and it's leaps and bounds better than any relationship-driven episode. I was actually invested in the case. Didn't have to suffer through any Upstead or Burzek crap. It was just the case and the politics, and it worked well. And call me crazy, but I actually think Det. Martinez could be a nice fit to the team, as it would add another veteran presence. But then, of course, the writers would mostly likely screw that up by trying to ship her and Voight.

• Love 1
On 4/29/2021 at 2:45 AM, Kirkydee said:

I personally wasn't criticizing how her hair looked.  I'm saying it's a nono for anybody with long hair to work in a dangerous environment.  Cops, firefighters, nurses, security, etc need to have their hair tucked away so it doesn't become their downfall.  I believe Lindsey wore hers short and Kim keeps hers short on duty. 

This.

And really, if you stop and look at it closely, you'll see that all the woman occasionally do have their hair pulled back/up, but of the main characters, Upton has hers loose and flowing the most. So IMO that would be due to a vanity on the part of the actress, or of the character (though I doubt the writers are thinking that deeply about it.)

On 4/26/2021 at 8:08 AM, Lya167 said:

Not only puffer, but also sweatshirts and jackets. As soon as the temperature drops in Chicago (which happens around episode 9 and forth), the hoodies come out.

My interpretation of this has always been that Intelligence generally tries to blend into various backgrounds - remember the early seasons, when they used to dress as construction workers, homeless people, etc. more often? And that was when they were heading out to specific assignments and had time to prepare. So maybe the hoodies and puffers are just part of trying to look like everyone else...as non-memorable as possible.

• Useful 1
On 4/29/2021 at 2:45 AM, Kirkydee said:

For TV I think masks are a different story since direct communication is key for a show.  I don't watch Chicago Med so I can't reference the scene.  But since masks are 100% in all hospitals you can't have a show where masks never come off

I totally get this, but I - and probably a lot of other people - just wish the Chicago shows would pick a lane. For instance, back last fall, Chuck Lorre made a point of stating that none of his shows would have the characters wearing masks (because he wanted to pretend we weren't in COVID times, for the sake of lighter entertainment for his viewers). Other shows, such as The Resident and New Amsterdam, chose to speed up time, showing montages at the season's start that suggested a lot more time had passed than actually did, and that COVID wasn't really much of a thing anymore so they could largely be maskless. But in Chicago land, it seems to vary without much rationale behind it.