Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Onward

• Start Topic

Haven't posted all season because I haven't been enjoying it at all, but this finale... Cannot believe this show really had Charley get back with Davis after all of that, I'm so, so disappointed. The details of the first season are admittedly a bit fuzzy, but did he not at the very least help cover up a gangrape his teammates committed and he facilitated? What the hell.

Also, I don't expect much from Nova, but having her seemingly stay with Calvin after the truth of what he did came out... Whew.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, colorbars said:

The details of the first season are admittedly a bit fuzzy, but did he not at the very least help cover up a gangrape his teammates committed and he facilitated? What the hell.

I don't think he raped the woman, but he was involved. IIRC the sex worker in question was someone he'd been hiring for years, and she thought she'd just be sleeping with him that night but then he left and there were a bunch of others? Something like that. And yeah, the show just left that part out and focused on his unseen outside child. I don't think I could forgive someone who facilitated a gang rape, visited sex workers for years, and lied about having a whole other child for over a decade just because he took care of me when I was sick. Like, maybe that would improve our co-parenting relationship, but I can't see being romantically involved with that person again. I also don't really understand why Charley doesn't tell her family that she had COVID. I can see why she wouldn't call Vi to come over (she's older, and Prosper is still staying with her and he's older), but I don't see why she doesn't tell them.

Does it feel like the dialogue was incredibly stilted to anyone else? I know I've said it at length about Nova (Nova doesn't talk like a regular person anymore, both in the way she speaks and the things she says), but I felt it with Darla too this episode. "I'm pregnant ... with your child!" I know the intent was to highlight that this was RA's biological kid because Blue is not, but it just felt so heavy-handed to me.

9 hours ago, colorbars said:

Also, I don't expect much from Nova, but having her seemingly stay with Calvin after the truth of what he did came out... Whew.

When she called to him when the doorbell rang I was like "He's still there?!" I didn't see him turning himself in coming.

I loved the little moment when Blue called and RA picked up. "Mr. Blue Bordelon!" I also loved Hollywood and Vi on those bikes.

• Love 8

Well, we got through the season with nothing happening to Mr. Prosper.  Whew.  There were a bunch of mentions early on about how COVID was especially affecting the elderly, so I thought for sure that that was some foreshadowing.  

On the other hand, he had to be around a lot of tension between Hollywood and Vi.  Awkward.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

When she called to him when the doorbell rang I was like "He's still there?!" I didn't see him turning himself in coming.

So Nova forgave him for breaking that boys back? Because he said he was forced to do it by his peers and it was a supposed initiation of some sort? Then her sitting on the sofa all happy like all is well with the world? WTF? My dislike for Nova has no end....

Darla's pregnancy announcement to RA was lovely. I hope they keep that storyline sweet. 

• Love 3
Just now, bichonblitz said:

So Nova forgave him for breaking that boys back? Because he said he was forced to do it by his peers and it was a supposed initiation of some sort?

I could even see her forgiving him - I don't doubt that police culture is such that a rookie would be or feel forced to participate in such a thing, and I'm sure she knows that. But forgiving him doesn't have to mean staying with him. Forgiving someone doesn't necessarily mean "everything is back the way it was, we're good now." You can forgive someone for something and still not allow them in your life.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I could even see her forgiving him - I don't doubt that police culture is such that a rookie would be or feel forced to participate in such a thing, and I'm sure she knows that. But forgiving him doesn't have to mean staying with him. Forgiving someone doesn't necessarily mean "everything is back the way it was, we're good now." You can forgive someone for something and still not allow them in your life.

Nova loves Calvin,  it's as simple as that . 

11 hours ago, colorbars said:

Haven't posted all season because I haven't been enjoying it at all, but this finale... Cannot believe this show really had Charley get back with Davis after all of that, I'm so, so disappointed. The details of the first season are admittedly a bit fuzzy, but did he not at the very least help cover up a gangrape his teammates committed and he facilitated? What the hell.

3 minutes ago, byrd said:

Nova loves Calvin,  it's as simple as that . 

I love Charley and Davis together. Redemption is powerful . If she can forgive him for the one thing he got wrong and hold onto all of the good things,  then I wish them well.  A beautiful family. 

I am really curious what the original plans for this season were, or even if they had any real plans. They had a lot of plots going into this season and then everything basically stopped for COVID and the protests and they focused on that, which is understandable, but I really want to know what they were actually going to do. I really want to know if they were planned on having more fall out from Nova's book, or if they were always going to be done with that and everyone would just forgive Nova and move on like they did here in a hypothetical fifth season without COVID and everything. I sadly think the show would have just swept it under the rug as they already were by the end of last season, because the show loves Nova despite her terrible betrayal of her family and the fact that she never even seems all that sorry, but maybe we would originally have gotten a little more follow up. The plot was so big and should have had so many consequences for everyone, but now its all just been dropped. 

So the theme of the episode was the Bordelon sisters giving second chances to men who they probably shouldn't all things considered. Considering how much Nova is all about her activism, it just feels like she shouldn't be willing to still be with Calvin after finding out what he did. She could probably forgive him, but what is she going to do when he is facing consequences for what he did to that kid who's back he broke? Can she really still be with him? Love's funny I guess. Who is she going to be supporting, and how will that look to her fans? Of course, her fans stuck by her after she threw her whole family under the bus and trashed talked them for chapter after chapter, so maybe they are seriously ride or die? W

Then Charlie is getting back with Davis, which I am so not a fan of. Yeah he isn't as bad as Vi's abusive ex, but he did still cheat on her for years with multiple women, fathered a child with another women and kept it a secret, and helped cover up his teammates raping a woman, so its not like he just had a drunken hook up or something. I can see them getting along better and being better able to co-parent, but Charlie can do way better than him. They do certainly have chemistry at least, as do Cal and Nova, so that's something. I also don't get why Charlie wont tell her family that she had COVID, especially now that she's better. 

Vi's eyes about popped out of her head when Hollywood suggested she apologize to RA! After a dark spell, Hollywood is back at his job of being the voice of reason to Bordelon drama it looks like, Vi is being ridiculous about this school thing. At least she seems to be letting it go now, and Blue is having fun at his new school. Plus Darla and RA are having another baby, even if it was announced in a weird way. Did some Nova lines get mixed in there, it sounded so stilted. 

That last shot of Darla and RA on the porch with the big shot of the sky was beautiful. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That last shot of Darla and RA on the porch with the big shot of the sky was beautiful. 

And the shooting star right at the end--perfect!!

I didn't realize this was the season finale. it has been renewed, I hope.

• Love 1
On 4/21/2021 at 6:09 PM, tennisgurl said:

Then Charlie is getting back with Davis, which I am so not a fan of. Yeah he isn't as bad as Vi's abusive ex, but he did still cheat on her for years with multiple women, fathered a child with another women and kept it a secret, and helped cover up his teammates raping a woman, so its not like he just had a drunken hook up or something. I can see them getting along better and being better able to co-parent, but Charlie can do way better than him. They do certainly have chemistry at least, as do Cal and Nova, so that's something. I also don't get why Charlie wont tell her family that she had COVID, especially now that she's better. 

Agreed. What Davis did was unforgivable. I'm fine with them rebuilding a friendship and co-parenting since they'll always be in each other's lives due to Micah, but it should've been left at that. How could she ever trust him again? And I also didn't buy his "I hated myself" reasoning for blowing up their family and betraying Charley. I would've appreciated his reasoning better if he said that he got caught up in the fame, allowed it to go to his head, and took his family for granted.

But I guess the show wants to gloss over Davis setting up his call girl to be raped just like how we're supposed to forget about Nova taking that $10,000 from the account Charley set up, and writing that tell-all book about her family.

I wasn't surprised that Nova was still with Calvin. It's easy to call other cops out on their bullshit, but when it's your partner, it's complicated. It's like when Micah and his friends burned down the slave quarters on that plantation. Everyone was gung-ho about it until the cops came around. 

• Love 5

My goodness that was a wild attempt of Charley to compare Davis to Jimmy Dale. She probably shouldn't have brought it up if she wasn't going to be straight with Vi about the context.

Ew, Calvin putting his hand on Nova's back gave me some serious creeps. I don't know how she could ever let him touch her again knowing what she knows about him now.

Powerful scene in the park between Charley and Davis. I thought it was well-written and well-performed.

Vi and Hollywood were so cute on those bikes. Glad Hollywood was able to help her pull herself together.

So that's how they're going to redeem Calvin? Ehhhhhh. He's no longer a cop so what can  IA do to him?

I knew it! I suspected Darla was pregnant several episodes back. Congrats to her and RA. It's as if one door sorta closed and a new one is opening.

it has been renewed, I hope.

Yes it has, and it's expected to return for season six later this year.

• Love 2

Surprised Micha cared about Charley's Covid now, he didn't care when they were quarantining and he was going out to parties and Charley called him on it. He could be the reason she probably got sick.

Davis did a lot, so the fact Charley can try and build on their good and move on from the past is wow. I'm interested to see them navigate this and if they can really put things in the past, like when he goes on away games again or when the secret daughter visits. 

Not sure what to think of Nova and Calvin. She's so quick to attack others. The fact he actually called on himself makes him still a better person than her, after stealing 10K from her sister and still hasn't taken ownership of it Nova, or putting all of her families personal secrets out to the public and defended her reasons.  

Liked seeing Proper happy and interacting with people again at the restaurant. Vi and Hollywoods bike ride was fun too, considering how he lost his mom he could have gone down the worst path but came out strong.

Blue seems more adult than the adults. He was so mature talking about how much he loves it and will see them at holidays. 

The pregnancy announcement was kind of funny with Darla letting RA know "with your child" like it needed to be pointed out this time.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5
On 4/21/2021 at 12:30 PM, byrd said:

I love Charley and Davis together. Redemption is powerful . If she can forgive him for the one thing he got wrong and hold onto all of the good things,  then I wish them well.  A beautiful family. 

He got way more than one thing wrong, and I think the woman he set up to be gang raped should have a say in his supposed redemption, but I guess that's just me.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, colorbars said:

He got way more than one thing wrong, and I think the woman he set up to be gang raped should have a say in his supposed redemption, but I guess that's just me.

Okay but unless I misunderstood, he did not participate in the gang rape but he set her up , which is just as bad.  Infidelity seemed to be his thing and that's what I was referring to because all of his deeds seems to center around that very thing. Charley paid her off very well, around 10 million to one of them if I remember correctly maybe more, I'm sure she's over it.  Charley still loves Davis regardless I  would be happy to see them reunite. Charley is very cautious where Davis is concerned she will be careful.  They make a beautiful couple. 

• Love 1
On 4/21/2021 at 5:09 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am really curious what the original plans for this season were, or even if they had any real plans. They had a lot of plots going into this season and then everything basically stopped for COVID and the protests and they focused on that, which is understandable, but I really want to know what they were actually going to do. I really want to know if they were planned on having more fall out from Nova's book, or if they were always going to be done with that and everyone would just forgive Nova and move on like they did here in a hypothetical fifth season without COVID and everything. I sadly think the show would have just swept it under the rug as they already were by the end of last season, because the show loves Nova despite her terrible betrayal of her family and the fact that she never even seems all that sorry, but maybe we would originally have gotten a little more follow up. The plot was so big and should have had so many consequences for everyone, but now its all just been dropped. 

So the theme of the episode was the Bordelon sisters giving second chances to men who they probably shouldn't all things considered. Considering how much Nova is all about her activism, it just feels like she shouldn't be willing to still be with Calvin after finding out what he did. She could probably forgive him, but what is she going to do when he is facing consequences for what he did to that kid who's back he broke? Can she really still be with him? Love's funny I guess. Who is she going to be supporting, and how will that look to her fans? Of course, her fans stuck by her after she threw her whole family under the bus and trashed talked them for chapter after chapter, so maybe they are seriously ride or die? W

Vi's eyes about popped out of her head when Hollywood suggested she apologize to RA! After a dark spell, Hollywood is back at his job of being the voice of reason to Bordelon drama it looks like, Vi is being ridiculous about this school thing. At least she seems to be letting it go now, and Blue is having fun at his new school. Plus Darla and RA are having another baby, even if it was announced in a weird way. Did some Nova lines get mixed in there, it sounded so stilted. 

Just now, byrd said:
On 4/21/2021 at 5:09 PM, tennisgurl said:

Charley character will be cautious with Davis.  Charley and Davis have a lot of good history before the damage. He can be redeemed , he's lost everything that really matters.  This relationship won't mend easily but it can heal. If she loves him and wants to be with him it will happen , the ball is in her court  Charley holds all the cards now.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, byrd said:

Charley character will be cautious with Davis.  Charley and Davis have a lot of good history before the damage. He can be redeemed , he's lost everything that really matters.  This relationship won't mend easily but it can heal. If she loves him and wants to be with him it will happen , the ball is in her court  Charley holds all the cards now.  

Nova and Calvin, whatever..  I'm still pissed with Nova I don't really care what she does now.  

• Love 1
On 4/21/2021 at 9:59 AM, Empress1 said:

Ah Yes, but forgive him ,and take him back , she will do just that .. love is a powerful thing. 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:04 AM, Empress1 said:

Does it feel like the dialogue was incredibly stilted to anyone else? I know I've said it at length about Nova (Nova doesn't talk like a regular person anymore, both in the way she speaks and the things she says), but I felt it with Darla too this episode. "I'm pregnant ... with your child!" I know the intent was to highlight that this was RA's biological kid because Blue is not, but it just felt so heavy-handed to me.

I think the writing sounds more... writerly. There's a lot of beautiful words in there but they sound less like real people talking and more like great prose. Which is okay, but it hadn't been a show defined by elevated language before, so it's jarring.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:59 AM, Empress1 said:

That's basically how I feel about Charley/Davis. I wish she'd rebuild a decent friendship with him, be a team in co-parenting, forgive him for her own sake. But not take him back.

I wasn't entirely sure Nova had decided to stay with Calvin, I thought she was just kind of trying to figure things out and wasn't making an abrupt mid-COVID living arrangement change. Looked like maybe she was sleeping on the couch? I don't know. But it's definitely an interesting turn of events because his turning himself in means everyone else will know. It was one thing if she was considering that maybe she could accept it and truly believed that he had changed in the decades since, but no way can she face the world knowing that.

Gosh, must be rough when the world knows your personal business and choices like that! Certainly no one in her family knows that feeling particularly well because of her!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2