Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Things Left to Do

• Start Topic

For too long, this show has created reasons for Morgan not to do the thing he knew he had to do. It goes back to his thankfully brief days with Rick. This is the main reason I was less than thrilled to hear he was joining FTWD. I realize that because this is episodic TV, you can’t always have immediate action with immediate results. But Morgan has ALWAYS been used as a way to keep those less-sane (Rick) from carrying through with justice. Think back to the scene in TWD season 2 when Rick, Herschel and Glenn stumbled into that bar with the 2 (or 3?) bad guys. If Morgan had been there, all the good guys would be dead!!! Yet, all the new people on Fear, for some reason, thought Morgan was going to lead them to salvation. 

• Love 4

I'm just glad that unlike the mother show, where despite its celebrated nihilism and all the grousing and threats about Negan no one ever had the balls to tell Rick nope, not gonna happen, this show actually didn't go there and force The Redemption of Ginny down our throats. This show often comes off as something of a lightweight compared to the original recipe, but guess what? Despite Morgan's 11th-hour waffling and bloviating about it, they're not going to be stuck living with someone who regularly brutalized them and pretending they're at all okay with it. They're just left holding the bag with the murderous sister daughter of the corn, but June very well may have that on her to-do list as well. 

My feelings about June and the actress who plays her aside, I did get what she was saying there about Virginia being responsible. She covered up for sister daughter's first murder and knowingly executed the wrong person for it to try to throw John off the trail, all of which set the events for sister daughter murdering John into motion. She was still throwing threats around and making demands about sister daughter 30 seconds before Morgan nabbed her and then continued after that, demonstrating that she easily would have kept going "protecting" her through a whole string of murders yet to be committed if need be.

Fine that Morgan doesn't want to go back to "Clear" levels of crazy. But by now, none of these people should be depending on him to make those calls. They've seen him whiff multiple times.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

One other of my pet vents: Okay, here we are, in a somewhat nice and secure setting, thanks to Morgan. Only to have its impending doom knocking at the door. Okay, fine. But how MANY times are we going to do this same thing?????? We seem to have only two stories on this show: Running away from baddies, or building a "city" only to have it destroyed by baddies.

And who really thinks where Morgan et al is really all that safe to start with. Yeah they have that formidable looking wall (thanks to the dam that was there), but all anyone has to do is ride (or walk) over the hills that form the natural walls of the dam. I tried looking at it when they had the aerial shots lost night, and it sure didn't look daunting. So, is everyone under some spell Morgan has spun to make them feel safe????

• Love 7

At least John Dorie's murder was kinda, sort of avenged on this episode.

But I would like either June to put Dakota down, or for Dakota to be zombie chow.

At the very least, maybe in a future episode, she starts showing a lot of regret for having shot and killed John.

One baffling thing is that about five minutes before she killed him, Dakota was telling John something like, "I like being around you, you're good for me" or whatever. Then she shoots him dead moments later. 

She might be a sociopath and is incapable of empathy, remorse, and regret, though.

I have mixed feelings about Morgan's attitude about not wanting to kill Ginny (Virginia). 

On a practical level, allowing your arch nemesis to remain alive could turn out to haunt you,
but, I didn't know if I wanted a seasons long repeat of a Negan Vs. Rick Grimes situation, either, but only Ginny Vs. Morgan drama.
That could've gotten old fast.

The gun fight did get a little confusing.

It was difficult for me to tell at times who was shooting who.

I'm also not clear if Strand was totally in charge after his coup, if all the rangers are now on his side, or only half are, or what. 

I did like June avenging John, I liked her putting on John's hat and walking off - that shot looked so old school Western movie. Well done.

I just loved the John Dorie character, and I apologize in advance if I come back here in the future on more threads mentioning him and how bummed I am about his departure from the show. 🙁 
Hope nobody gets annoyed by that.

There are so few movies, TV shows, or fictional characters that interest me any more.
The Dorie character was one of the few who I really liked, and it gave me something to look forward to every week or few months to tune in and see what his character was up to.

On this show, I am marginally interested in the Strand character - with his murky motivations or anti-hero tendencies - and now, I am a bit interested in where June goes from here.

Other than that, I am not very much vested in the other characters and situations on "Fear."

The main draw for me was the Dorie character, and with him gone, I don't really care so much about this show or who does what. I may still watch, though. 

Edited by DrNowsWeightScale
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, DavidWeis1 said:

And who really thinks where Morgan et al is really all that safe to start with. Yeah they have that formidable looking wall (thanks to the dam that was there), but all anyone has to do is ride (or walk) over the hills that form the natural walls of the dam. I tried looking at it when they had the aerial shots lost night, and it sure didn't look daunting. So, is everyone under some spell Morgan has spun to make them feel safe????

This is what I didn't really understand either.  On the other side of the wall, it just looks like they're below some not very high cliffs.  Even walkers could just walk and fall down into their camp.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, DavidWeis1 said:

For too long, this show has created reasons for Morgan not to do the thing he knew he had to do. It goes back to his thankfully brief days with Rick. This is the main reason I was less than thrilled to hear he was joining FTWD. I realize that because this is episodic TV, you can’t always have immediate action with immediate results. But Morgan has ALWAYS been used as a way to keep those less-sane (Rick) from carrying through with justice. Think back to the scene in TWD season 2 when Rick, Herschel and Glenn stumbled into that bar with the 2 (or 3?) bad guys. If Morgan had been there, all the good guys would be dead!!! Yet, all the new people on Fear, for some reason, thought Morgan was going to lead them to salvation. 

That bar scene was one of the most bad__ ass__ scenes ever in The Walking Dead series!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The writing for this episode was a mess. Every single scene was wholly unsatisfying, until finally June started channeling Clint Eastwood. That was the only scene that made sense.

And OOC much?

• Daniel didn't pop up out of the back seat and strangle that ranger in the drivers seat? He wasn't that out of it.
  • And where did Strand's empire building come from? Left field? Since when was he a take-charge-and-take-revenge type? He's amoral, when did he become a justice machine?

Yeah, somebody better take care of Dakota. Even if it's just Fate with a handful of walkers.

I'm still waiting for Madison to come back and put a cap in Charlie's ass. You know if she does come back, she is gonna be as hard and cold as an iceberg. (Come baaaaack, Madison!)

• Love 3
22 hours ago, DavidWeis1 said:

One other of my pet vents: Okay, here we are, in a somewhat nice and secure setting, thanks to Morgan. Only to have its impending doom knocking at the door. Okay, fine. But how MANY times are we going to do this same thing?????? We seem to have only two stories on this show: Running away from baddies, or building a "city" only to have it destroyed by baddies.

And this is different from the Walking Dead how?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/19/2021 at 4:31 PM, DrNowsWeightScale said:

I have mixed feelings about Morgan's attitude about not wanting to kill Ginny (Virginia). 

As vile as she was, Morgan was right - killing her would make him/them no better than she was.  He was pretty much Rick vs. Negan 2.0 after Rick sliced Negan's throat open, but kept him alive

My biggest gripe in this entire episode was Grace.  I get it woman - you're pregnant and have to constantly hold your belly to let everyone know you're pregnant.  But man, she couldn't have at least put up some kind of a fight when Virginia began dragging her off (head butted her, heel to the shin - something - ANYTHING?)  She came across as a damsel-in-distress liability who did nothing but cloud Morgan's judgement.  The entire time I was screaming at the TV "if it were Maggie or Carol they would've taken Ginny out - then give birth 5 minutes after"

• Love 4
On 4/19/2021 at 1:31 PM, DrNowsWeightScale said:

I just loved the John Dorie character, and I apologize in advance if I come back here in the future on more threads mentioning him and how bummed I am about his departure from the show. 🙁 
Hope nobody gets annoyed by that.

There are so few movies, TV shows, or fictional characters that interest me any more.
The Dorie character was one of the few who I really liked, and it gave me something to look forward to every week or few months to tune in and see what his character was up to.

On this show, I am marginally interested in the Strand character - with his murky motivations or anti-hero tendencies - and now, I am a bit interested in where June goes from here.

Other than that, I am not very much vested in the other characters and situations on "Fear."

The main draw for me was the Dorie character, and with him gone, I don't really care so much about this show or who does what. I may still watch, though. 

I agree with you 100% about John Dorie. And I for one will not be annoyed if you keep mentioning him and his departure. :-)

I'm also having trouble finding TV shows, especially newer ones or movies that are interesting to me. That's why I'm so far behind and didn't notice until recently that HULU had dropped season 6, I don't pay for TV service so I only have HULU, Netflix and Disney+ and hardly watch them.

I've never been a Strand fan so right now June is the only one I want to follow even though I was pissed at her for not leaving with John she redeemed herself a little by putting a bullet in Virginia to bad Dakota wasn't there to receive one. I quit watching the mother show because of Negan and wished Maggie or Rick would've done to him exactly what June did to Virginia.  

I don't know if I'm going to continue watching after this season, Morgan bugs me too much and he's in every episode but they let the best character leave the show. TPTB should've done whatever they needed to keep the John Dorie character because he was so much more interesting then Morgan has ever been. I know the actor wanted to leave but can you blame him when he and the other actors are hardly in any episodes but Morgan is in every one.