Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Gray Bird Grasshopper / S02.E02: Jungle Centipede

• Start Topic

The family is stuck at home and desperate for something to do. Matilda is in a dark place, but a phone call cheers her up. Meanwhile, Genevieve gets caught trespassing, digitally.

Matilda makes her girlfriend socially distance, and it's atypically weird. Nicholas makes new friends, but Alex is not a fan.

Airdate: April 8, 2021

I didn't know this was starting so it was a happy surprise when I checked my DVR this morning. Out of all the shows that have tackled the pandemic, I think this one works best because it is about this family, their interactions and anxieties anyway. Alex may not have liked Drea's parents, but I did. I do hope Nicholas was serving them non-alcoholic drinks. 

• Love 5

I love this show and I'm watching.

I liked Drea's parents at first, but I got sick of them when they were bickering non-stop. I don't like it, even if it's not serious-- they seemed to get along but only be posturing as not liking each other, and I just find it irritating. I'm worried about Susan showing up to try to hang out with Nicolas next week. 

Alex telling Nicholas he could have a much richer boyfriend if he wanted one was surprisingly funny to me. It doesn't seem like the kind of joke I'd usually like, but they sold it really well. 

I love the scenes with the insects. They aren't usually important to the plot, but I love how the show showcases the insect life as being gorgeous and beloved rather than icky and hated.

I don't really understand why people have been so bored during quarantine. I always have a million more things to do than I can find time for, even at home. But I know people have been feeling what the show described, and I liked how they portrayed it.

How old is Genevieve? I always think she and Matilda are the same age, but that isn't true, is it? 

Matilda and Drea being happy that their "friend" was training for a job with a low rate of success was horrible and funny at the same time. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

How old is Genevieve? I always think she and Matilda are the same age, but that isn't true, is it? 

I think at the start Matilda was 17 and Genevive was 15, so probably around 18 and 16 now? Were there any birthday's last season, I don't remember. (guess maybe I'll have to rewatch....darn)

I enjoyed these episodes. I think what I'm looking forward to most is learning more about Alex. I can't tell if he's happy or not...and if he's not then why he sticks around, as he told us, he could easily find a richer boyfriend. It's just a bunch of interesting questions around him and I like it.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, HappyBerry said:

I enjoyed these episodes. I think what I'm looking forward to most is learning more about Alex. I can't tell if he's happy or not...and if he's not then why he sticks around, as he told us, he could easily find a richer boyfriend. It's just a bunch of interesting questions around him and I like it.

Oh that’s a good point. I do hope he was exaggerating about the, what was it, $290k of student loans, but sadly between undergrad and dental school, that could be a reality. I guess one or both of his soon to be divorced parents would be co-signers on some of that debt. Was he all the way through school and just couldn’t get a placement because of COVID?  And why are you making me worry about yet another fictional character?!?!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't really understand why people have been so bored during quarantine. I always have a million more things to do than I can find time for, even at home. But I know people have been feeling what the show described, and I liked how they portrayed it.

Matilda and Drea being happy that their "friend" was training for a job with a low rate of success was horrible and funny at the same time. 

I agree about the boredom, since I can always find things to do too. But I do get missing going out and seeing people. I thought this show did a great job portraying the mundaneness of life at home. 

I hope Matilda and Drea can stay friends. I really enjoy the way they are so accepting of whatever the other one says.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh that’s a good point. I do hope he was exaggerating about the, what was it, $290k of student loans, but sadly between undergrad and dental school, that could be a reality. I guess one or both of his soon to be divorced parents would be co-signers on some of that debt. Was he all the way through school and just couldn’t get a placement because of COVID?  And why are you making me worry about yet another fictional character?!?!

$290K seems very likely to be accurate. I went to undergrad almost 20 years ago and tuition was over $30/year.  It is insane. Luckily I didn't need to take out any loans. 

I don't remember Alex's job situation last season, but it totally sucks to finally finish all that training and not be able to start working.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

Me and my boyfriend watched this together and honestly had the same thought.   We loved this show when it first aired and honestly watched it during quarantine... before we met, what can I say you definitely got to know your neighbors.   But we found things to do,  I remodeled my kitchen,  made a garden,  wrote a book,  worked on making new cocktails.  Despite the lack of income and being able to go out to eat I really enjoyed my time at home. 

• Love 2

I love this show. I am so happy to see it back - Richard Kind as Drea's dad was great (Who doesn't like Richard Kind?), and I hope Matilda and Drea can stay friends. Again, this show has the best portrayal of autism on TV, probably because the actors are actually autistic!

I have a feeling Matilda won't end up being heterosexual - i'm guessing she'll end up being bisexual, since the creator is gay, I don't think he'd have the character go "i'm a lesbian no wait i'm actually straight"

Nice to see the show back again, its such a warm strange show. Everyone being stuck inside together was a nice way to check in with everyone again, I wondered how they would deal with the pandemic and I think they are doing a good job with it. Its been so long I almost forgot it was coming back, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it pop up on Hulu. 

I hope that Drea and Matilda can stay friends even if they aren't girlfriends, and that Nicholas can stay friends with her parents even if Alex isn't a fan. Alex telling Nicholas that if he wanted to only date someone for money he would date someone richer than Nicholas made me laugh. 

I found a billion things to do in quarantine, if anything I was even more busy than when I can go out. So many shows and movies to watch, books to read, people to talk to on Zoom, so many skills to learn. 

The bug bits are always a highlight for me, they're always shot in such a beautiful way. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Nice to see the show back again, its such a warm strange show. Everyone being stuck inside together was a nice way to check in with everyone again, I wondered how they would deal with the pandemic and I think they are doing a good job with it. Its been so long I almost forgot it was coming back, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it pop up on Hulu. 

I hope that Drea and Matilda can stay friends even if they aren't girlfriends, and that Nicholas can stay friends with her parents even if Alex isn't a fan. Alex telling Nicholas that if he wanted to only date someone for money he would date someone richer than Nicholas made me laugh. 

I found a billion things to do in quarantine, if anything I was even more busy than when I can go out. So many shows and movies to watch, books to read, people to talk to on Zoom, so many skills to learn. 

The bug bits are always a highlight for me, they're always shot in such a beautiful way. 

The bug shots are always great! 

• Love 3