Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Fine Is a Four Letter Word

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A tornado touches down in Austin and it's all hands on deck to keep the kids and community safe. Walker, Micki and Trey rush to the school where Stella, August and Ruby are at a school dance. Bonham and Abeline stop at a store for supplies where old memories resurface and the two are forced to discuss their marriage. Meanwhile, Liam and Bret get trapped in an elevator and everything Liam has been carrying on his shoulders gets the best of him and he makes a rash decision.

Airdate: 04/08/2021

So, Liam's afraid that the something Nations gang is going to kill Brett so he told him he cheated?  I have that right?  Seems stupid.  And he's lucky his parents showed up when they did, because a stuck elevator is not where you want to have a conversation like that.

so, Walker can get hit by a flying huge tree branch and he's fine, but trey falls off a car and he's seriously injured?  Yes, I get that he hit his head, but if you were to ask me which accident I would prefer, I'm going to pick just falling versus being hit by a flying object.

I feel like trey was too harsh on Micki.  She wasn't ready to talk about it.  I feel like she would have been eventually.  It wasn't so much hiding something as not dealing with something that had nothing to do with him.  i think he was more just mad that Walker knew and he didn't.  Which may be valid.

So-so episode.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

so, Walker can get hit by a flying huge tree branch and he's fine, but trey falls off a car and he's seriously injured?  Yes, I get that he hit his head, but if you were to ask me which accident I would prefer, I'm going to pick just falling versus being hit by a flying object.

I would take the tree branch, it has leaves as a cushion and the branches might have the give. Falling onto the ground that is littered with various types of debris has the potential to be lethal no matter how high you fall from.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

So, Liam's afraid that the something Nations gang is going to kill Brett so he told him he cheated?  I have that right?  Seems stupid.  And he's lucky his parents showed up when they did, because a stuck elevator is not where you want to have a conversation like that.

I feel like trey was too harsh on Micki.  She wasn't ready to talk about it.  I feel like she would have been eventually.  It wasn't so much hiding something as not dealing with something that had nothing to do with him.  i think he was more just mad that Walker knew and he didn't.  Which may be valid.

So-so episode.

To me it looked like Trey got hit with some crumbling debris from the building the car crashed into (chunks of cement or cinderblocks, etc) and fell as a result. 

I wanted to reach through the tv screen and slap Liam upside the head. I hope he rectifies this next week or Walker goes to see Brett to tell him what a self-sacrificing dumbass his brother is. 

I thought Stella was a little too forgiving in regards to Trevor's deception. She believed him awfully quickly. If it were me, I'd need a little time to cool off before snuggling up to him for another dance.    

Happy to see Bonham and Abeline patching things up. 

I liked the scene with Liam and Walker where Liam came clean about his covert investigation into Emily's death. The look on Walker's face was part vindication that he wasn't wrong about what his gut had been telling him and part hurt that his brother kept it from him.   

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 4

The lesson this week is that keeping secrets from your friends and fam ily is just going to cause more problems then it solves, which I would like to get engraved on a plaque and sent to every character on every CW show, where needless secret keeping of the cause of at least 78% of problems. At least quite a bit of everything is out in the open now, although if I was Stella I would be a lot more freaked out by my boyfriend being the son of one of my dads enemies and is possibly dating me as a part of some revenge scheme. We know that he's having second thoughts and does actually care about her, but she doesn't. And he is still meeting with his dad and talking to him about this, even if its clear he isn't thrilled. 

Liam trying to chase his boyfriend off by pretending he cheated is ridiculous, I hope that he tells him the truth soon. This self sacrificing crap is just what his boyfriend said, its him trying to control everything and act like he knows better than everyone else under the guise of protecting the people in his life, even his boyfriend and his brother, who he should trust enough to be honest with. Stop with the self sacrifice, you big dummie. I am glad that he finally told Walker, and I really felt for him telling him what he was up to. It was really sad, Walker seemed to be finally getting closer to moving on, even considering calling that teacher (even if its too soon for now) and has been making real progress bonding with his family and getting on with his life, and now he found out that he wasn't wrong about the conspiracy. Really good performances by the actors. 

I cant really blame Trey for being upset about Micki not telling him about this huge thing, but I get why Micki didn't want to talk about it. Its a whole lot to deal with, and one that's out there it becomes a pretty big topic of conversation, and unlike with Walker there isn't really much to do about it. I continue to really enjoy the partnership between Walker and Micki, they have a lot of really fun banter and have moved into a comfortable, "we give each other shit but because we care" kind of partnership. 

Nice seeing Bonham and Abeline working on their issues, even after an awkward encounter with the guy Abeline cheated with. 

• Love 4

Yeah, I know the whole "pushing a loved on away to protect them" plot point is a popular one on television, but I always find it silly, and this one was no exception.  In fact, it was even worse since Liam decided to take a nuclear option and claim that he "cheated" on Brett.  The problem I always have with this is that if the bad guys were truly going to come after the ones Liam cares for, Brett would still be an option because they would likely know that Liam still cares about him.  So, if anything, it would be smarter for Liam to tell the truth and have Brett be prepared for what's out there.  Because I'm going to roll my eyes hard if Brett still ends up getting kidnapped (or worse) when this is all said and done.

I guess it was about time for Micki and Trey to have some issues, and it makes sense it would be over her not automatically telling him the truth about her mother.  I can understand his frustration over it, but I do think Micki's reason made sense (for her) that it really wasn't about her not trusting him or considering their relationship unimportant, but because he truly is important to her, and telling him would mean she would have to accept that it is really true.  I just hope they are sincere about moving past this, because I really do enjoy them as a couple.

So, Stella finds out the truth about Trevor (well, not the whole part about his father wanting him to kill Walker!)  I wonder how long she'll keep this information from the rest of the family.

Poor August is still unaware that he's in a middle of a love triangle thanks to his ability to be a good guy.  Good luck, kid!

Glad Bonham and Abeline are being more open about their issues now.

At least Walker now knows the truth about there being more to Emily's death.

Between this and Supernatural, I continue to be impressed by Jared Padalecki's ability to be awkward and clumsy whenever flirting with women, despite his good looks and charm.  Definitely got the sense that Emily was the one who took the initiative/lead in their relationship!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, I know the whole "pushing a loved on away to protect them" plot point is a popular one on television, but I always find it silly, and this one was no exception.  In fact, it was even worse since Liam decided to take a nuclear option and claim that he "cheated" on Brett.  The problem I always have with this is that if the bad guys were truly going to come after the ones Liam cares for, Brett would still be an option because they would likely know that Liam still cares about him.  So, if anything, it would be smarter for Liam to tell the truth and have Brett be prepared for what's out there.  Because I'm going to roll my eyes hard if Brett still ends up getting kidnapped (or worse) when this is all said and done.

the other thing that makes it stupid is that while he is pushing Brett away he still has no plans to tell Walker.  the bad buys would probably assume Walker is getting looped in, making him and his kids a target.

• Love 1
On 4/9/2021 at 6:27 AM, wlk68 said:

I liked the scene with Liam and Walker where Liam came clean about his covert investigation into Emily's death. The look on Walker's face was part vindication that he wasn't wrong about what his gut had been telling him and part hurt that his brother kept it from him.   

For me that was the best acting JP did this episode. I thought his acting was really bad up to that point.

I got a Sam's flashback when Walker was telling Micki secrets were bad, lol.

So, was the tornado heading towards the school? If so why was everyone gathering there? I would think that ranch house has a basement wouldn't that be a safer place?

Why is this show making me feel like they are going to put Walker and Micki in a relationship. I hope I'm wrong because I really want them to be just friends and partners. I hated it when the X-Files did it with Mulder and Scully why can't partners just be partners? 

• Love 2

That last scene was beautifully played - kudos to Jared, Keegan and Genevieve - husband and wife work together so poignantly.  The tension over Emily’s death is really starting to gather momentum.  Apart from that, can I just say I ❤️ ❤️❤️ ❤️ Bonham Walker!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

So, was the tornado heading towards the school? If so why was everyone gathering there? I would think that ranch house has a basement wouldn't that be a safer place?

i don't think so. i think the school was the designated emergency go-to shelter.  

5 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Why is this show making me feel like they are going to put Walker and Micki in a relationship. I hope I'm wrong because I really want them to be just friends and partners. I hated it when the X-Files did it with Mulder and Scully why can't partners just be partners? 

I don't think they're going to.  Maybe that's just wishful thinking, because like you I just want them to be partners/friends.

• Love 1

I have been thinking about the "I cheated" distraction, and realized it is a quite perfect way to deflect. It's a conversation stopper. No further questions, because the cheated on doesn't want to hear the details. It also neatly explains why Liam would be seemingly depressed and aloof. I think there are two purposes to Liam's decision. The lesser is to protect his fiance. The most compelling one is that Liam is in the middle of an investigation and simply can't talk about it or the particulars. Stopping further conversation and questions was the best way to go.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2021 at 9:27 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

For me that was the best acting JP did this episode. I thought his acting was really bad up to that point.

I got a Sam's flashback when Walker was telling Micki secrets were bad, lol.

Walker and Micki have a unique and engaging relationship. Sadly, they probably do belong together. I even think Emily would approve. Trey has been exhibiting some jealously all along. Something about Trey rather bugs me from his introduction. He's too nice, too available, too supportive, too selfless. I keep expecting him to be revealed as a member of a vicious cartel or the murderer of Emily. In any case, he bores me with his perfect timing, endless understanding and total commitment.

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Terese said:

Something about Trey rather bugs me from his introduction. He's too nice, too available, too supportive, too selfless. I keep expecting him to be revealed as a member of a vicious cartel or the murderer of Emily. In any case, he bores me with his perfect timing, endless understanding and total commitment.

Yeah, he does seem to be too good to be true so I don't have high hopes for his character. I think either he will be killed or like you suggested he's not what he seems.

• Love 1

First time posting on this show, have been catching up on the CW streaming service.

I always laugh when TV tries to do tornado stories because people in Hollywood apparently have no idea how tornados work. They are not hurricanes, there is not some ferocious storm going on outside for hours. They are usually on the leading edge of a storm and ironically it is usually very still outside when a tornado is coming. Also, the CGI on this particular tornado was terrible! It looked like a cartoon.

What are the chances the only students to show up at the dance would be the main teen characters we've been following? Wouldn't it have been cancelled if that were the case?

Isn't Isabel supposed to be Stella's age? Why would they pair her up with Stella's younger brother? What's the age difference anyway?

The actor who plays Trey (Jeff Pierre) played a gay character on Shameless, so maybe this is why but he still reads "gay" to me. Also, there is something odd about his face I find very distracting. The way his eyes turn upwards at the corners make him look like he's had some kind of cosmetic surgery.

The actress who plays Stella (Violet Brinson) reminds me so much of Bryce Dallas Howard it's driving me to distraction. 

Finally, I know the show is trying to be all woke by have a gay couple, but I wish it would delve into Bonham's reaction to having a gay son. The character does not strike me as being so liberal it wouldn't have bothered him, frankly. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

What are the chances the only students to show up at the dance would be the main teen characters we've been following? Wouldn't it have been cancelled if that were the case?

I think there were 3 or 4 others in the background.  They were the ones that came to set up ahead of time.  The tornado warning happened in the interim.  The school is the emergency evacuation place for that town, so the kids that were already there stayed until the danger was past.  To pass the time and get their mind off things, they went ahead and played the music that was already there.

Isn't Isabel supposed to be Stella's age? Why would they pair her up with Stella's younger brother? What's the age difference anyway?

I think it's supposed to be a 2 year difference.

Finally, I know the show is trying to be all woke by have a gay couple, but I wish it would delve into Bonham's reaction to having a gay son. The character does not strike me as being so liberal it wouldn't have bothered him, frankly. 

The only TV people allowed to have anything but an absolute positive reaction to a gay child are basically murderers and such.

• Love 1