Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Long Time, No See

• Start Topic

MG finds himself on the outs with the Super Squad after a controversial decision he had made comes to light. Hope puts a risky plan in motion regardless of the potential consequences. Kaleb, Cleo, and Alaric join forces when the latest monster shows up.

Promo:

Original air date: 3/25/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

The best I can say about this episode is that it was a good season 3 episode. It definitely better than other episodes this season. 

So are we supposed to be rooting for Hope and Landon? This episode didn't really make me want to root for them. 

MG and Lizzie are still having the best scenes this season. Though there was an issue but I will bring that up later. 

Liked the Cleo and Kaleb interactions but worry the show is going to force it too fast like they do with Josie's relationships. 

There has to be some twist with Landon coming back. Either that isn't really him and the stalker is the real Landon or maybe that stalker is tied to the wish Hope made. 

The episode had some weird editing. The Hope/Jo/Finch scene was apparently longer based on promo pics released before the episode. Also Lizzie helps MG steal the ascendant before the scene where she and Alaric finds out Hope went to Josie for help. 

• Love 2

Despite the monster prowling in the woods, why am I almost certain that Landon ISN'T actually back; or at least not back properly? Why do I find it MORE likely that the guy in the skull mask is the actual Landon?

A) Dramatic Structure.

B) Hope's dream where Malivore turns up and the Ascendant shatters. First thing "Landon" does is shatter the Ascendant after the gates were opened by Charon to the prison world. Also Landon NOT remembering everything from the second episode back... just the blackness.

C) Me over-analyzing things.

Also, allow me to direct this next part directly at the character of Milton Greasley as I think it is the best way to express my feelings;

MG, MG, MG... I had hoped that you had some better explanation for hiding it than "my friends might be hurt because there be monsters in there."

But nope, you were just a coward and covering it up with words about how noble you were being doing it. Yes, it could be dangerous, but you had ZERO right to take away Hope or anyone else's free choice to risk their lives to save someone they loved because you were scared they'd be lost too. Maybe if they'd not gotten the ascendant at basically the last minute they'd have had time to figure out that the whole dimension was soaked in dark magic and take precautions.

Was Hope reckless? Yes, but Landon's probably been trapped at least a month by this point and you wanna keep her from ever being able to try and rescue him? You realize pretty much her entire identity at this point is wrapped up losing her parents in ways she felt responsible for and you want to take away her chance to save someone she's actually opened her heart to because YOU are scared?

And you should count yourself incredibly lucky (except see above) that Landon was still alive to be saved in the present, because if Hope had learned that Landon died alone in the monster dimension during the time you were hiding the Ascendant (during which there were certainly other celestial events)? Well, Hope would probably have resurrected Marcel's desiccation garden just for you and, here's the thing, I'd be rooting for her as she did it.

And to put the cherry on your pathetic self, you then had the gall to say that because no one had your back after you were clearly in the wrong... so you need to bounce?

Well... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

As for Cleo, I still say there's something up. She's just a bit too comfortable with dark magic and with Charon. She might not be a Muse, but there's definitely something MORE going on with that.

Edited by Chris24601
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

Despite the monster prowling in the woods, why am I almost certain that Landon ISN'T actually back; or at least not back properly? Why do I find it MORE likely that the guy in the skull mask is the actual Landon?

A) Dramatic Structure.

B) Hope's dream where Malivore turns up and the Ascendant shatters. First thing "Landon" does is shatter the Ascendant after the gates were opened by Charon to the prison world. Also Landon NOT remembering everything from the second episode back... just the blackness.

C) Me over-analyzing things.

Also, allow me to direct this next part directly at the character of Milton Greasley as I think it is the best way to express my feelings;

MG, MG, MG... I had hoped that you had some better explanation for hiding it than "my friends might be hurt because there be monsters in there."

But nope, you were just a coward and covering it up with words about how noble you were being doing it. Yes, it could be dangerous, but you had ZERO right to take away Hope or anyone else's free choice to risk their lives to save someone they loved because you were scared they'd be lost too. Maybe if they'd not gotten the ascendant at basically the last minute they'd have had time to figure out that the whole dimension was soaked in dark magic and take precautions.

Was Hope reckless? Yes, but Landon's probably been trapped at least a month by this point and you wanna keep her from ever being able to try and rescue him? You realize pretty much her entire identity at this point is wrapped up losing her parents in ways she felt responsible for and you want to take away her chance to save someone she's actually opened her heart to because YOU are scared?

And you should count yourself incredibly lucky (except see above) that Landon was still alive to be saved in the present, because if Hope had learned that Landon died alone in the monster dimension during the time you were hiding the Ascendant (during which there were certainly other celestial events)? Well, Hope would probably have resurrected Marcel's desiccation garden just for you and, here's the thing, I'd be rooting for her as she did it.

And to put the cherry on your pathetic self, you then had the gall to say that because no one had your back after you were clearly in the wrong... so you need to bounce?

Well... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

As for Cleo, I still say there's something up. She's just a bit too comfortable with dark magic and with Charon. She might not be a Muse, but there's definitely something MORE going on with that.

I understood where MG was coming from and quite frankly I think he needs some better friends. And I'm sick to death of this Hope and Landon stuff. Hope being reckless is not okay, there needed to be a voice of reason and MG was it. It seems Hope cares about Landon and nothing else.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mommalib said:

I understood where MG was coming from and quite frankly I think he needs some better friends. And I'm sick to death of this Hope and Landon stuff. Hope being reckless is not okay, there needed to be a voice of reason and MG was it. It seems Hope cares about Landon and nothing else.

If he wanted to be a voice of reason that was listened to, then he shouldn’t have lied to them about the Ascendant. He hid it because he was afraid and wanted to take away their choice.

And be sick to death all you wish, but Hope wanting to rescue the love of her life from a monster infested dimension as soon as possible is neither out of character nor some wicked selfish act.

Let me ask you plain; if one of your loved ones went missing and you learned your friend had been withholding a means of reaching your loved one for weeks because your loved one was in danger and you could get hurt going after them... would you even SPEAK to that “friend” again?

Because that’s MG. Not “Going after your loved one will be dangerous, so let’s make sure we can minimize the risks before rushing in, because you getting hurt doesn’t help them.” (That would be a voice of reason).

Nope, he just unilaterally decided “I’m going to hide a tool that could rescue Landon so you won’t use it because I’m scared of what could happen.”

And I’d possibly cut him some slack if he’d taken the Ascendant to Alaric (aka the actual adult responsible for Landon and Hope) and he was the one who decided to keep Hope out of loop until they had a better idea of what’s going on.

But MG is just another student and a teenager who’s making decisions not just for fellow teenagers, but for adults like Alaric (and Hope, who is actually 19, being two years older than Josie and Lizzie who turned 17 last year).

So, to me, MG didn’t come off like a voice of reason, he came off like a punk who got caught in a lie (and he wouldn’t have confessed to Lizzie without a guilty conscience telling him he was in the wrong) and is now getting passive aggressive about the people he hurt not wanting to do what he tells them to.

Also, his saying he was a leader just comes off as being delusional as when he expected to win the honor council seat or tried to get the vamps to listen to his talent show ideas. He’s not a leader, that’s the whole point of his relationship with Lizzie and not being able to tell people no until this season where he overcorrects and says no to everything.

I dunno if they’re writing him out for reasons, if it’s just something that will be gotten over next episode, or if it’s just writing around the limited appearances in the contracts while taking COVID into account (i.e. having their contractual absences be in consecutive episodes due to the quarantine policies)... but it’s something to keep an eye on.

• Love 3

I was hoping MG had more of a reason to hide the Ascendant, but it was just because MG didn't want everyone to do something dangerous. I get that he is worried about his friends, especially after everything that has happened and half the school leaving, but he really should have given them the option. Its messed up that he kept them Hope from looking for Landon, especially as he has seen her grieving him for a month, and that he basically just left Landon to his fate because he decided it was for the greater good. Why does he get to decide that? Not that Hope is making the smartest choices, doing dangerous magic with her friends that could get them hurt or killed, but she has a ton of trauma based around not being able to save her loved ones, she should at least know her options. Are they actually writing him out now or is he just going to be pouty for a bit until everyone makes up? 

I like Cleo and her and Kaleb have nice chemistry, but I am still suspicious of her. I am still on her being one of the Fates or the Gorgons, she does seem to know a lot about Greek mythology and dark magic. 

Landon seemed to come back way WAY too easily, and him saying he doesn't remember anything from being in the black seems really suspicious. My obvious guess is that the guy in the mask is Landon and this "Landon" is an imposter. I still don't feel much for Landon/Hope as a couple, which is too bad considering how much the show loves them. I do hope that they figure this out soon though, I do like them both as characters and I do want them to be happy after going through so much crap. 

I really don't care about Josie's new crush or their relationship. Its not bad, but every time Josie is over at Normie High I just want to get back to the action with the characters I am actually invested in. This season is already weird, both due to some weird writing choices as well as filming restrictions, we don't need anything else.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was hoping MG had more of a reason to hide the Ascendant, but it was just because MG didn't want everyone to do something dangerous. I get that he is worried about his friends, especially after everything that has happened and half the school leaving, but he really should have given them the option. Its messed up that he kept them Hope from looking for Landon, especially as he has seen her grieving him for a month, and that he basically just left Landon to his fate because he decided it was for the greater good. Why does he get to decide that? Not that Hope is making the smartest choices, doing dangerous magic with her friends that could get them hurt or killed, but she has a ton of trauma based around not being able to save her loved ones, she should at least know her options. Are they actually writing him out now or is he just going to be pouty for a bit until everyone makes up? 

I like Cleo and her and Kaleb have nice chemistry, but I am still suspicious of her. I am still on her being one of the Fates or the Gorgons, she does seem to know a lot about Greek mythology and dark magic. 

Landon seemed to come back way WAY too easily, and him saying he doesn't remember anything from being in the black seems really suspicious. My obvious guess is that the guy in the mask is Landon and this "Landon" is an imposter. I still don't feel much for Landon/Hope as a couple, which is too bad considering how much the show loves them. I do hope that they figure this out soon though, I do like them both as characters and I do want them to be happy after going through so much crap. 

I really don't care about Josie's new crush or their relationship. Its not bad, but every time Josie is over at Normie High I just want to get back to the action with the characters I am actually invested in. This season is already weird, both due to some weird writing choices as well as filming restrictions, we don't need anything else.

What better reason is there for MG than not wanting to see the people he cares about get hurt? That seems as good a reason as any and trying to make him the bad guy somehow is ridiculous. As opposed to Hope who is apparently willing to do and sacrifice anything at the alter of Landon. I f only MG's friends valued him like he valued them. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, mommalib said:

What better reason is there for MG than not wanting to see the people he cares about get hurt? That seems as good a reason as any and trying to make him the bad guy somehow is ridiculous. As opposed to Hope who is apparently willing to do and sacrifice anything at the alter of Landon. I f only MG's friends valued him like he valued them. 

Some of them should have been all in with Hope's plan to save Landon

Some of them should have conflicted emotions not knowing which side to choose.

But Kaleb and Lizzie should have  sided with MG especially as both of them are closer to MG than Hope and Landon combined. And Lizzie actually did but Hope cheated by dragging Josie into it and forcing Lizzie's hand.

I am not concerned about Landon dying forever. i mean before he was the Phoenix and kept coming back to life, but even now as a human, he seems to be pretty lucky in that he never really dies. At least not for long.

9 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

I'm a bit rusty on the Ascendant world rules but if Landon had died in there wouldn't he just pop back up the next day, or was that only a thing for those who were intentionally imprisoned in one?

That's how it was for Kai since it was his prison but wasn't Bonnie about to commit suicide and everyone was concerned because it was assumed to be permanent?

Originally, I thought everything reset every day and only your memories of the past remained intact.  If you died, you came back.  If you burned down the town, it was restored, etc.  Yet Bonnie was able to drive across the country and back in the one day of the world so I guess, like most of the VD universe, the rules are whatever the plot calls for and subject to change.

• Love 2

I really hope that this was intentional by the writers and not them not remembering their own show but Hope saying Landon would do the same if things were reversed was ridiculous since he was telling her basically the same thing MG was telling the group when the Saltzman family was in the prison world. Hell he was against Hope astral projecting because he thought it might be too dangerous. 

• Love 2

Josie spoke to Caroline and she's going to live with a friend of hers and Alarics in town? Is it supposed to be an original TVD character?

Landon being found seemed a bit to easy and quick. Hopefully that really is him.

(edited)

If there's one thing I've learned from all the shows and movies about witchcraft, there's always a price when you use dark magic (and not just a single trickle of blood type nosebleed). Even though it looks like Cleo summoning the Ferryman looks like it worked, I'm not fully convinced that the Landon we're seeing is the real Landon. Maybe watching all of these shows has made me paranoid, but it just seemed a little too easy/convenient. I don't know if it will turn out to be a shadow version of himself, an imposter posing as Landon, or something else but I'm not ready to believe that's the Landon we know back in human form just yet.

But hey, it gave Chris Lee an excuse to sing so I'm all for it! In case anyone didn't already know, he played Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson in Hamilton. I'm all for the writers coming up with reasons to let him sing/rap/perform (in comparison, remember the embarrassment of Katie Holmes singing On My Own on Dawson's Creek). It's not like any of the reasons they've used so far are any weaker than Caroline deciding she had to jump on stage and sing Eternal Flame to Matt.

Mystic Falls High must have improved their protocol for keeping track of who is ditching class if Doria was able to let Alaric know that Josie wasn't in class that very second.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I do have to say that the design for Charon was pretty cool. And summoning him would seem to be well out of the league of your regular witch types so I'm giving Cleo the side-eye along with most of you.

Cleo: Yo, Charon, want to do a buddy a solid? You'll get to freak out some folks while you do it.

Charon: Count me in.

• Love 1
On 3/25/2021 at 9:20 PM, mommalib said:

I agree! I did not like Hope at all this episode. Her smug looks and just her whole attitude. And really, how long before he dies again or they break up? That's all the writers know how to write for them.

I thought the skeleton guy's costume was probably the best I've seen on this show so far.

I really liked Lizzie and MG scenes.

I wonder who the friend Josie is going to stay with?

The Vampire Diaries and The Originals brought in so many good/interesting side characters and I really feel like Legacies is slacking because all they focus on is Hope and Landon.

16 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I wonder who the friend Josie is going to stay with?

I was trying to remember who from TVD is still around in Mystic Falls. Did Matt leave town? I thought that's why they brought in the new sheriff lady but I could be remembering that incorrectly. But I guess since she left maybe Matt came back?

I can't imagine any of the other cast members coming back. Tyler and Stefan are dead, Jeremy is off being a hunter, Bonnie is traveling the world, and Elena is in medical school (or maybe she's done by now? I can't remember what year it's supposed to be on Legacies). And I can't imagine that if Bonnie, Elena, or Jeremy were back in Mystic Falls, we wouldn't have heard about it before now because Alaric would have asked them to help when all the Malivore monsters started coming to town. After everything Kat's character was put through, I have a hard time believing she would come back to do a guest spot. If Elena and Damon were living in Mystic Falls, it would be ludicrous that no one on the show had mentioned it in three seasons. Realistically, that leaves Jeremy or Matt to be the friend that Josie is going to stay with.

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Elena is in medical school (or maybe she's done by now? I can't remember what year it's supposed to be on Legacies).

Its been roughly a dozen years since TVD ended in the Legacies timeline. More than enough time for Elena to get her degree, and we further know she's in Mystic Falls because in the penultimate episode of The Originals (the episode that was this show's backdoor pilot effectively) there was a sign on one of the buildings in town that said Dr. Elena Gilbert (apparently she kept her maiden name for her practice).

So my guess would be that Jo will be staying with Elena and Damon, though I doubt we'll actually see them on screen.

(edited)
On 3/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, Chris24601 said:

Its been roughly a dozen years since TVD ended in the Legacies timeline. More than enough time for Elena to get her degree, and we further know she's in Mystic Falls because in the penultimate episode of The Originals (the episode that was this show's backdoor pilot effectively) there was a sign on one of the buildings in town that said Dr. Elena Gilbert (apparently she kept her maiden name for her practice).

No, it said Salvatore:

the-originals-elena-md1.jpg

Also, apparently, Damon and Elena's daughter, 11-year old Stefanie Rose Salvatore is a recurring background character on Legacies. She was also a guest character on The Originals. She is an untapped witch.

Edited by driver18
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, driver18 said:

Also, apparently, Damon and Elena's daughter, 11-year old Stefanie Rose Salvatore is a recurring background character on Legacies. She was also a guest character on The Originals. She is an untapped witch.

I’m not so sure on that part... the only references to her being a student at the Salvatore School come from a fanon site that lists her older sister, Jenna, as the main character on Legacies and a hybrid vampire-witch. It also says that Stephanie was born in 2020 and yet is 11 even though the present year in the show is only 2028.

The real killer for this being accurate is that there is zero reference to actress mentioned and pictured on the page (Kennedi Clements) in her filmography while several other guest spots she’s been in the last three years are listed.

Gotta be careful with those wikis; anyone can write anything in them.

3 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

I’m not so sure on that part... the only references to her being a student at the Salvatore School come from a fanon site that lists her older sister, Jenna, as the main character on Legacies and a hybrid vampire-witch. It also says that Stephanie was born in 2020 and yet is 11 even though the present year in the show is only 2028.

The real killer for this being accurate is that there is zero reference to actress mentioned and pictured on the page (Kennedi Clements) in her filmography while several other guest spots she’s been in the last three years are listed.

Gotta be careful with those wikis; anyone can write anything in them.

True, I was going off of that. I do know that in the alternate universe episodes, Damon and Elena had a daughter named Stefanie. I am not obsessively in the know about Legacies and TO as I am about TVD. That one I'm completely obsessed with.