Type keyword(s) to search

The After Party: What Happens Next?

• Start Topic

Based on this article from Uproxx;

While Marvel fans were aware that WandaVision would directly lead into Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Captain Marvel 2 thanks to the addition of Teyonah Parris’ Monica Rambeau, there’s been next to zero information on what happens next for the characters in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. But thanks to a new interview with head writer Malcolm Spellman, we now know that the upcoming Disney+ series will have a significant impact on the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. According to Spellman, the show will directly tie into multiple MCU projects, but good luck figuring out which those are.

“I can think of three that I’m not allowed to talk about,” Spellman told Entertainment Weekly. Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige also refused to elaborate and simply said that talk of plans for Bucky and Sam’s future fall into the “spoiler realm.”

it seemed like a good idea to have a 'jumping off point' for conversation separate from the other topics. Right now, this is a 'speculation' topic, for guesses on where you think it may be heading, so if you get some good, hard spoilerage, please spoiler tag! And we'll revisit as the show rolls out.

• Love 4

Wouldn't Black Panther be the logical place to go? I mean, Bucky spends years with his goats in Wakanda, they helped him to recover and having Sam visiting Wakanda might be a good way to further explore the complicated relationship Afro-Americans apparently have with their heritage, as the first movie did.  

• Love 1

Just guessing, but I think that this series will impact Black Widow, Armor Wars and Black Panther II...

BTW, anyone else read this Deadline article from January about Chris Evans?

Spoiler

Captain America Eyes Return To The MCU As Chris Evans Nears Deal To Reprise Role In Future Marvel Project
By Justin Kroll   January 14, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/01/captain-america-eyes-return-to-the-mcu-as-chris-evans-nears-deal-to-reprise-role-in-future-marvel-project-1234672430/ 

I think it's too late for him to show up in this first season of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

But it sounds like there's hope for Steve Rogers to return to the MCU, maybe in the same project(s) impacted by this series (although I suppose it could be in flashback).

Edited by tv echo

I read that, but Chris also tweeted out that it was news to him, so....BUT, I remember when Tatiana Maslany was rumored to be She-Hulk and she said "no ma'am", and now guess who's going to play She-Hulk? Maybe that kind of back and forth is part of the Marvel tease now.

Either way, I hate Endgame Steve and if CE were to come back for a solid storyline in a couple of movies or a Disney+ TV show where it turns out he was a Skrull or something to explain his bs ending, I'm all for that. But I'm with you, it's too late for this season of TFATWS and to be honest, I really want to see what we get for Sam and Bucky (and Sharon) without Steve's direct influence.

• Love 4

I have to wonder how long the fake Cap will be around since the trailers showed Sam practicing with the shield. (This is assuming those scenes actually appear in the show). I'm assuming he'll be out of the picture by the end of episode 3.

23 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

I have to wonder how long the fake Cap will be around since the trailers showed Sam practicing with the shield. (This is assuming those scenes actually appear in the show). I'm assuming he'll be out of the picture by the end of episode 3.

Or Sam and Bucky steal the shield and go into hiding with it. But it does seem possible that new Cap is just a red herring who will only serve to show that putting someone else in Cap's outfit doesn't work, when he gets stomped by the bad guys.

Regarding the Flag Smashers, I'm still very wary of where the show is going. The Captain America movies did a really good job of showing why he's an inspiring figure to everyone, not just to Americans, and I hope this show continues that,

Sokovian Alfred gets a special webisode breaching The Raft singlehanded to rescue his boss [and surrogate son]

Sharon is going back to the CIA... there is no SHIELD anymore and she was never at SWORD. How will a mid level agent keep finding excuses to fly all over the world? Her phone and computer will be tapped by the NSA 24/7.

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, saoirse said:

So will US Agent land in another of the planned series? 

If he doesn't appear in Armour Wars, then he's likely to be slated to appear in a Thunderbolts series, probably alongside Zemo. It would feel a lot like a rip off of DC's Suicide Squad right now, though - a bunch of criminals brought together to do the bidding of someone who may or may not be in the US government.

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

If he doesn't appear in Armour Wars, then he's likely to be slated to appear in a Thunderbolts series, probably alongside Zemo. It would feel a lot like a rip off of DC's Suicide Squad right now, though - a bunch of criminals brought together to do the bidding of someone who may or may not be in the US government.

I think a couple of things would differentiate it from the concept behind SS: a Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers squad would be operating in the open, indeed would be playing to the public, as opposed to the covert nature of the Squad, and the Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers would be operating entirely voluntarily as opposed to because they have bombs in their heads or because they want to shave time off of their sentences.

The original plot gets recycled...

Flag Smasher sympathizers steal a weaponized virus that the GRC was going to release in the camps...

Walker / Agent sent to recover virus by Val for nefarious reasons

Sam & Bucky lead a GRC recovery effort

Wyatt Russell doesn't know if Walker will be returning in a future MCU project...

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’s Wyatt Russell on His Final Scene
BY JOANNA ROBINSON     APRIL 23, 2021
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/04/falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-wyatt-russell-who-is-us-agent 

Russell himself sounds ambivalent about whether John Walker comes back at all: “Part of the way I approached Marvel was it’s all your last time you’re going to do it.” If this scene with the Contessa is setting Walker up for something specific, Russell is in the dark about it.  It’s possible that if fans don’t wind up connecting with Walker on any level, he won’t return at all. Russell says: “Marvel operates in a really cool way where they don’t make decisions before they see what works. I’m not a part of any of this decision making, obviously.”

Some fans believed the black and red motif on Walker’s new uniform was indicative of him joining the villain super-team known as The Thunderbolts. That’s not Walker’s fate in the comics, but Russell did say: “At the end of the series, he’s grown into himself in a very dangerous way.” 

Just sounds like a lot of speculation to me...

Falcon & Winter Soldier Star Teases Eli Bradley’s Story Isn’t Over
BY RACHEL LABONTE   APRIL 25, 2021
https://screenrant.com/falcon-winter-soldier-eli-bradley-story-elijah-richardson/ 

... Comic book readers recognize Eli Bradley as Young Avengers member Patriot. His inclusion in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, small as it was, certainly seems to hint at his eventual transformation into a superhero.
[Elijah] Richardson's latest social media post indicates the same. After The Falcon and the Winter Soldier's finale dropped on Friday, Richardson shared some shots of him and Lumbly from the episode on social media. He also hyped up the possibility of more Eli in the MCU's future, writing, "This may only be the beginning of Eli Bradley !" Check out his full post down below.
Though it hasn't been officially announced, all signs point to Marvel setting up some kind of Young Avengers project. Several members of the team are set to make their debuts in future projects, including Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld) and America Chavez (Xochitl Gomez). That's not even mentioning those who have already appeared, some albeit in younger form: Billy Kaplan (Julian Hillard), Tommy Shepherd (Jett Klyne), and Cassie Lang (soon to be Kathryn Newton in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania). With all this in mind, it isn't absurd to believe there could be more story ahead for Eli. After all, the Young Avengers will need their Patriot.

Edited by tv echo

I know the general populace thinks that Steve Rogers is on the Moon or in space... but I'm assuming that Sam and Bucky know his fate.  I wish they would have told us.  I'm assuming this was left vague on purpose because they aren't sure yet.  The last we saw of Steve, he was an old man in 2023.  If he went back to 1942 as a 35 year old and aged naturally since then, he'd be 125.  Obviously the Super Soldier serum slows down his aging.  But where is he now?  Is he still alive?  If so, does he never call or text?

Peggy was in her 60s in the flashback in Ant Man in the late 80s when Hank Pym quit SHIELD so when she died in Civil War she must have been in her 90s.

I guess it all depends on whether Chris Evans is done with Cap for good or if he can be convinced to continue playing the role.

• Love 1

There are rumors that Chris Evans might return to the MCU, which might be why Marvel Studios won't commit 100% to saying Cap's fate one way or the other.

There's precedent in the comics, where various sidekicks take up the mantle of Captain America or Thor or the Hulk etc, but Marvel always brings back the original character to step back into the role. Though of course this is less feasible with real world actors who age and also eventually earn enough money to stop wanting to do it.

After Assembled, is the MCU apparatus just quiet until Loki and then Black Widow?

The Falcon And The Winter Soldier Filmmakers Tease 'A Pandora's Box To Be Opened' With Julia Louis Dreyfus’ Valentina Allegra de Fontaine
ERIC EISENBERG: APR. 29. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2566675/falcon-winter-soldier-filmmakers-tease-valentina-allegra-de-fontaine-pandoras-box-julia-louis-dreyfus 

Val is only featured in the last two chapters of The Falcon And The Winter Soldier and only appearing in two scenes total, but she makes a lasting impression – and a massive part of that is her demeanor. She has been established as thoroughly mysterious figure, and it definitely sounds like she is up to some nefarious business. I asked Kari Skogland about throttling the gas pedal in that respect, and she explained,

"That's the thing: you don't want to [give away what her intentions are]; you want to let it just be organic. I think with her, which was great, was she sort of does this, 'Maybe, maybe not, I don't know.' And she does it so glibly that you fall in love with her, and you have no idea how she is going to be, or not, but there's certainly a Pandora's Box to be opened."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Falcon And The Winter Soldier Writer Admits They Discussed Giving Sam A Ridiculous Super Power
BY : TOM PERCIVAL ON : 30 APR 2021 
https://www.unilad.co.uk/featured/the-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-writer-admits-they-discussed-giving-sam-a-ridiculous-super-power/

UNILAD: Let’s start with an icebreaker question but one that’s been on the lips of Falcon fans for years now. In the comics, Falcon can ‘talk to birds’. When you were writing this show did you consider giving him this power? And are you considering giving him it in Captain America 4
Malcolm Spellman:
It is… you know actually I’m gonna take a leap and answer this one because I don’t think I can get in trouble for it. It was discussed in the room but I don’t think anyone in the room felt like there was a way to do that right, you know what I’m saying?

I don’t know what’s gonna happen in Cap 4 though… I probably just overstepped with you [UNILAD] so that’s your one spoiler.
UNILAD: Sam faces prejudice throughout the show, is that something that’s going to continue in Captain America 4
Malcolm Spellman:
[UNILAD] I’m sorry I can’t tell you, I have no idea what’s happening with Cap 4, that’s Kevin Feige stuff.
UNILAD: Fair enough, let’s switch tracks to Sharon Carter then. The reveal she was the Power Broker, that was quite the surprise! The reaction to it was mixed though; where did the idea to turn Sharon into a villain come from? 
Malcolm Spellman:
All people have to do is be honest about what they think Sharon’s been going through since Civil War? You know what I’m saying? No one else would take her in, she’d been disavowed, on the run, forced to hustle, right? It was a natural trajectory. Now, that said, Sharon’s journey isn’t over, and who knows where she’s going to end up or why she’s doing what’s she’s doing?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2021 at 2:22 AM, arc said:

After Assembled, is the MCU apparatus just quiet until Loki and then Black Widow?

Some of these dates may not be accurate, depending on what's currently filming and if they're going to play Take A Guess as to when various things will actually be released.

image.thumb.png.92d9157230d752cbab474773dd244468.png

• Love 2

What do people think about pairing Sam & Bucky vs splitting then up in future projects?

Before we knew anything about this show but the title, the basic promise was give these two supporting characters their turn as lead characters, in a two-hander with a buddy-cop dynamic.

The show did give moments that exploited the actors & characters chemistry, and Sam had a great lead role, but although Bucky had his own subplot he was a supporting character in the structure of this story. So IMO the show delivered 80% of its original promise, even whilst it overdelivered on its thoughtful exploration of themes which I wasn't expecting and was so glad we got.

Next time we see Sam will be Cap 4. That won't be a two-hander but should be Sam's movie. There are good reasons to include Bucky: in-universe they now have a close friendship, and the actor chemistry is still gold. But to what extent do we at some point need to see Cap Sam stand on his own, rather than next to a character so closely associated with the first Cap.

And on which projects will we see Bucky, to get more insight into his character, even if he never gets a lead role? 

(edited)

Updated MCU release dates for movies and series (some new dates, some new titles)...

June 11,  9, 2021
Loki (Disney+)

July 9, 2021
Black Widow 

Summer 2021
What If...? (Disney+)

September 3, 2021
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

September 24, 2021
Venom: Let There Be Carnage

November 5, 2021
Eternals 

December 17, 2021
Spider-Man: No Way Home

Late 2021
Hawkeye (Disney+)
Ms. Marvel (Disney+)

January 28, 2022
Morbius 

March 25, 2022
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

May 6, 2022
Thor: Love and Thunder

July 8, 2022
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

October 7, 2022
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel

November 11, 2022
The Marvels

2022 Release Dates TBA:
She-Hulk (Disney+)
Moon Knight (Disney+)
Secret Invasion (Disney+)
Ironheart (Disney+)
Armor Wars (Disney+)
I Am Groot (Disney+)
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+) (probably December 2022)

February 17, 2023
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

May 5, 2023
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

2023 Release Dates TBA
Blade
Fantastic Four
Wakanda (Disney+)

Sources:
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/marvel-movies-release-date-schedule-calendar-timeline/
https://collider.com/marvel-phase-4-movies-release-dates-changes-timeline/
https://www.ign.com/articles/venom-2-postponed-to-2021-new-title-announced
https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-marvel-morbius-release-date-one-week-push
https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/The_Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Holiday_Special
https://www.firstshowing.net/schedule2021/

Edited by tv echo
UPDATED LOKI RELEASE DATE
  • Love 5

As far as I know, Venom and Morbius are not MCU, even if Spider-Man is. They’re licensed from Marvel, but are in Sony’s own separate continuity. (Technically What If? is also not MCU canon but it’s using the MCU stories as a jumping off point, with the same actors.) Spider-Verse is also not MCU.

• Love 2

Who are The Eternals? Are they part of the same universe as The Avengers? Are we supposed to believe that these immortal, superpowered beings have just been hiding on Earth doing nothing even when Earth is dealing with an existential crisis like Thanos?

Also, while that movie has a stellar cast, I'm generally less intrigued by stories about immortal superpowered beings than I am by stories about regular mortal folks (albeit regular mortals enhanced by a super soldier serum or a spider bite or a high tech suit), trying their best to be heroes while dealing with regular mortal stuff. Like family shrimp boats and going to high school and coping with PTSD. Though I'm sure I'll watch it.

(edited)
On 5/3/2021 at 10:15 AM, MochaJay said:

What do people think about pairing Sam & Bucky vs splitting then up in future projects?

Before we knew anything about this show but the title, the basic promise was give these two supporting characters their turn as lead characters, in a two-hander with a buddy-cop dynamic.

The show did give moments that exploited the actors & characters chemistry, and Sam had a great lead role, but although Bucky had his own subplot he was a supporting character in the structure of this story. So IMO the show delivered 80% of its original promise, even whilst it overdelivered on its thoughtful exploration of themes which I wasn't expecting and was so glad we got.

Next time we see Sam will be Cap 4. That won't be a two-hander but should be Sam's movie. There are good reasons to include Bucky: in-universe they now have a close friendship, and the actor chemistry is still gold. But to what extent do we at some point need to see Cap Sam stand on his own, rather than next to a character so closely associated with the first Cap.

And on which projects will we see Bucky, to get more insight into his character, even if he never gets a lead role? 

I think for me, I’d be kind of disappointed to see Captain America lose his right hand(ed) man at this point since Bucky’s been such a big part of the mythology of the title and has now been inherited by Sam. I’m sure, like in this series, we could see Sam working alone and with buddies as the story calls for. At the same time, they’ve got a new Falcon sidekick all lined up in Joaquín Torres as well, so hopefully we can get a new version of the team that Steve put together. And Bucky can be snarky at Torres if he doesn’t feel like ribbing Sam for some reason. I mean, it’s iconic, it’s fun and enjoyable to watch. Why not?

I do feel like we need to see a bit more of Sam in isolation. Apart from seeing him with his sister and family, a little bit of him as a counselor, his love of Marvin Gaye, and a teeny tiny flirtation with Black Widow (now sadly deceased) we don’t know anything much about what he does when he’s not being epic. Where does he really live these days, still in DC, or what? I mean, in the words of Peggy, does he... dance? There’s a bunch of stuff still to find out.

Having The Winter Soldier or The Latin Falcon (sorry) showing up in other stories would be great too. Since Bucky’s been around for a bit, if they do anything else with flashbacks, he’s sure to be there killing someone.

If they were to make a Winter Soldier movie, in isolation, I wonder what it could be about? They’d either have to give Bucky a lot more connections in the present time, like a family (wouldn’t work if he got with Sarah, as she and the boys are Captain America’s family too) or a team of his own to fight for. I suppose in the future Bucky could use his spy skills for good this time and join up with a future Black Widow team. That might be fun. And of course, there’s Wakanda although I don’t think he’ll ever really be made a major player in stories set there. Definitely his favorite vacation destination, though. As a great Easter egg he could be randomly CGI’d in, cheerfully milking goats in the background in Wakanda, as other people who actually live there discuss epic things. An of course, if there was ever an existential threat to Wakanda, I’m sure we’d see him... lend a hand.

Edited by Lebanna
On 5/4/2021 at 4:23 PM, Lebanna said:

I think for me, I’d be kind of disappointed to see Captain America lose his right hand(ed) man at this point since Bucky’s been such a big part of the mythology of the title and has now been inherited by Sam. I’m sure, like in this series, we could see Sam working alone and with buddies as the story calls for. At the same time, they’ve got a new Falcon sidekick all lined up in Joaquín Torres as well, so hopefully we can get a new version of the team that Steve put together. And Bucky can be snarky at Torres if he doesn’t feel like ribbing Sam for some reason. I mean, it’s iconic, it’s fun and enjoyable to watch. Why not?

I do feel like we need to see a bit more of Sam in isolation. Apart from seeing him with his sister and family, a little bit of him as a counselor, his love of Marvin Gaye, and a teeny tiny flirtation with Black Widow (now sadly deceased) we don’t know anything much about what he does when he’s not being epic. Where does he really live these days, still in DC, or what? I mean, in the words of Peggy, does he... dance? There’s a bunch of stuff still to find out.

Having The Winter Soldier or The Latin Falcon (sorry) showing up in other stories would be great too. Since Bucky’s been around for a bit, if they do anything else with flashbacks, he’s sure to be there killing someone.

If they were to make a Winter Soldier movie, in isolation, I wonder what it could be about? They’d either have to give Bucky a lot more connections in the present time, like a family (wouldn’t work if he got with Sarah, as she and the boys are Captain America’s family too) or a team of his own to fight for. I suppose in the future Bucky could use his spy skills for good this time and join up with a future Black Widow team. That might be fun. And of course, there’s Wakanda although I don’t think he’ll ever really be made a major player in stories set there. Definitely his favorite vacation destination, though. As a great Easter egg he could be randomly CGI’d in, cheerfully milking goats in the background in Wakanda, as other people who actually live there discuss epic things. An of course, if there was ever an existential threat to Wakanda, I’m sure we’d see him... lend a hand.

The thing with Bucky is that he's not exactly a garrulous, expressive guy so putting him in a movie on his own would be a tough ask without sacrificing some of his character. He needs someone more lively to bounce off, a partner who brings him out of himself and gets him to engage.

In the comics it was Natasha, although in comics it's not as much of an issue because you can always read a character's internal monologue. In the MCU it's Sam. At least, it is at the moment but that could change if they introduce or pair him with different characters. A lot of his journey would be about atoning for his past, or dealing with elements of Hydra or the Soviet supersoldier programme that are left over. Or, as you mention, he could be called in to help the Wakandans with some crisis. Although I don't see how they'd really need him.

Still, Bucky and Nakia kicking arse together is something I'd certainly like to see.

• Love 4

Bucky needs to go to space and hook up with Rocket and Nebula. I'm not just saying that because they're my three favorites. Okay, maybe I am. 

GOTG 4: Arming the Galaxy.

• Love 2

OK, finished watching season 1 of this show.  This is the first Marvel TV show I watched since Agents of SHIELD.

I think Marvel strains to tie all their movies and shows together in a unified MCU sometimes.  One could be cynical and say that the notion of a unified MCU is about cross-promotion and referencing things in the movies helps the show and vice versa, makes viewers loyal to the MCU franchises.

My recollection decades of ago reading some of the comics was that you had these crossovers of some of these superheroes and they could hype it up to get people to buy those editions.  I wasn't a big Marvel comics reader but that's just some general recollections.

So I don't pay too much attention to these MCU references.  I remember "Sokovia" but not enough to want to go back and read up on what happened.  I never heard of "The Big Flip" before, but makes sense, before and after the event, there are problems of people adjusting.

Karli and her gang make interesting villains but the issues around refugees and resettlement are too complex for the kind of treatment they put in here.  Right now, hundreds of thousands of refugees are trying to get into the EU, sometimes getting onto flimsy rafts to try to reach EU shores and they're being manipulated by some politicians.  So the treatment they gave to the issue in this limited season doesn't do justice to a serious issue.  

Are they going to take it up again or drop it since Karli and her gang of super soldiers are mostly dead?

Also they dealt with race, with the black super soldier and eventually the Falcon taking on the mantle of Captain America.  Sam was down with the cause that Karli was pushing because some of the refugees were inevitably ethnic minorities.  So he didn't kill Karli nor would he fight her but since he embraced his new role, maybe they don't have to touch on race in future seasons?

Whenever Disney deals with issues of race, it's hard to not think of Song of the South.  These aren't happy African Americans but despite their struggles, they're happy and they help each other -- again is this solidarity real or just more Disney/Marvel looking through rose-colored glasses?

In any event, it seems Disney's strategy with their Marvel and Star Wars shows is to feature some minor characters, since obviously the stars from the movies aren't going to need or want to do TV shows.  While a Star Wars show like The Mandalorian is kind of incidental to the movies it seems Marvel wants to force connections between the shows and the movies.  

So the notion is that every show and TV are kind of doing a relay race, to move the whole thing forward.  But often the better analogy is forcing square pegs into round holes.

The Agents of SHIELD gradually raised the ante on villains and threats to the planet and the universe such that there were existential questions.  Yet instead of calling in the Avengers, who deal with existential threats all the time, the B-team in The Agents of SHIELD dealt with these threats.

Will that happen in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier?  They faced a gang of super soldiers so what's next?  Maybe androids or aliens worthy of the attention of the Avengers?  Instead of politicians at risk, future seasons may have to raise the ante and have whole cities or nations or the planet at risk.

• Useful 1
On 12/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, aghst said:

Will that happen in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier?  They faced a gang of super soldiers so what's next?  Maybe androids or aliens worthy of the attention of the Avengers?  Instead of politicians at risk, future seasons may have to raise the ante and have whole cities or nations or the planet at risk.

Marvel has since announced that there will be a fourth Captain America movie and it will star Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson for the title role, co-written by the head writer of FATWS and a staff writer from the show.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, aghst said:

In any event, it seems Disney's strategy with their Marvel and Star Wars shows is to feature some minor characters, since obviously the stars from the movies aren't going to need or want to do TV shows.

Disney might back a dump truck full of money to the stars' homes. Other MCU news suggests Disney will bring in new characters from the Disney Plus shows and integrate them into the movies too. Going the other way, well, yes, TV is still seen as less prestigious than movies, but it could happen, esp with the newer heroes whose actors don't yet have mega-deals or mega-clout.

• Love 3

They didn't do it for Agents of SHIELD, send any cast from that show into the movies.

They did have Samuel Jackson make a cameo on it once.

But they were mostly doing their own thing, with some nods to big events from the movies.

By the end of that show though, they were traveling in time to prevent the earth from being pulverized.  So they raised the stakes but let the B team handle the planetary threat rather than call in the Avengers.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

They didn't do it for Agents of SHIELD, send any cast from that show into the movies.

That was maybe a corporate politics thing. Back then, Marvel was split into two parts. Kevin Feige had the movies side and Ike Perlmutter (who owned Marvel and sold it to Disney and thus retained clout) had the TV side. The TV side used to try to draw connections to the movie side (AOS had SHIELD demolished after Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Daredevil referenced the Battle of New York from Avengers 1). But as you say, the movie side basically never acknowledged whatever the TV side did.

Perlmutter and his lieutenants did a somewhat crap job (see elsewhere for stories about how casually racist Jeph Loeb was) and eventually Disney reunified the whole Marvel moving pictures business under Feige’s control. So starting from Wandavision, the MCU shows on Disney Plus have been far more integrated with the movie side than anything before under Perlmutter and Loeb.

• Love 2

Yeah Disney + is a huge deal for Disney.  Probably a bigger deal than ABC was to them.  I don’t think AOS had great ratings but they kept it on the air for a long time.

Disney is putting some Pixar movies direct to streaming,

but they know that to keep people subscribing, they have to put out original shows, all year round.  So all these shows are important, though the movies are the proven moneymakers.

• Love 1

Speculation on where we might next see Bucky and US Agent...

Marvel’s ‘Thunderbolts’ Movie Taps Jake Schreier As Director
By Justin Kroll   June 9, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/06/marvels-thunderbolts-jake-schreier-1235041619/ 

That said, some of the characters who could potentially be appearing in the film include Baron Zemo, Yelena Belova, Ghost, Taskmaster, The Abomination, US Agent and the Winter Soldier. General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross is also a possibility since he is the person in the comics who assembles the first team — hence the name — but that is unconfirmed as no deal for any actor has closed.

• Love 1