Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Survivors

• Start Topic

Frank wants to pull one last heist with the old gang; Lip and Brad find out who owns BornFree; Mickey and Ian uncover the truth about Terry; Kevin watches Gemma and Amy while running the Alibi; Carl reunites with an old partner.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 3/21/21

I will finish out this season just because I have watched from the beginning, but I think this was the worst episode ever.

Frank wanting to get together with the old gang (had we ever heard about them before?) was lame. I really don't care if V isn't happy with her mother moving away - I still haven't gotten over V and Kevin agreeing for him to father a child with her mother. Inept Kevin unable to watch the girls at the Alibi - there was what one other customer, Kermit, there? His stupidity has escalated this season.

Liam is the only Gallagher I have any concern for.  Debbie is ridiculous. Lip is self destructive.

It really is time for the series to end.

• Love 16
(edited)

Although I know it's true that there are some fathers who are incapable of watching their own kids, (1) it's not funny and (2) we've seen Kev take care of the girls before so it seems unlikely that he'd be completely inept.

Poor Liam is out there trying to get INTO foster care and giving homelessness a go because no one in his family has bothered to tell him that no matter what happens, he will have a roof over his head.

I don't know why Lip thinks that he can unilaterally decide that the house is being sold. He is not the only one who lives there. His name is not on the deed. This is not his sole decision to make. I get that he doesn't want to live with Tami's family but so the fuck what? He knows that the rest of his family has not unanimously agreed to sell the house so it's not his place to just take a sledgehammer to a wall and make this decision for everyone.

And seriously? Debbie caved with the promise of family dinner once a week?

I don't care about Frank's dementia or his ICOE plan to get the gang back together for one last heist.

Part of me understands V not wanting her mom to move out of state, but she's behaving like a child. Her mother is an adult and she's allowed to move wherever the fuck she wants without getting a guilt trip from her grown daughter. I liked that her mom was enjoying Louisville and all it had to offer. It annoyed me that V spent the entire time whining and pouting and saying that Chicago was better.

Mickey crying even though he knows Terry was a total piece of shit was the most understandable thing in this episode. Grief is grief, and it comes even when the person who died was awful. Sometimes their death seems worse than if they had lived because now that they're gone, the possibility of reconciliation and that miniscule hope that you can repair your relationship is gone forever. But I did like that Rachel decided to keep the Pottery Barn frame. No need to let a perfectly nice frame go to waste, right?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

So we're supposed to believe that Terry and the entire Milkovich clan became neo-Nazis just because a Jewish woman spurned him? If Terry converted to Judaism while dating Rachel, and never converted back to Christianity after they broke up, he was a Jewish neo-Nazi. (Also, the story that Rachel's father didn't allow them to marry because Terry couldn't learn Hebrew doesn't pass the smell test. Most Jews who live outside of Israel don't speak Hebrew. And Hasidic Jews are not allowed to speak Hebrew unless they're praying.)

Ian and Mickey looking up auctions for Nazi memorabilia made me very uncomfortable. Where I grew up, owning/selling/buying Nazi memorabilia is illegal.

8 hours ago, whydoiwatch said:

Inept Kevin unable to watch the girls at the Alibi - there was what one other customer, Kermit, there? His stupidity has escalated this season.

He even microwaved a frozen meal without removing any of the packaging. I'm surprised the food didn't explode.

The show is repeating its own storylines with children ingesting drugs. Good thing there are only three episodes left.

ETA: In the end tag, Ian and Debbie were looking at a painting on the fireplace mantle. Does that mean Frank and Liam succeeded in their art heist?

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

ETA: In the end tag, Ian and Debbie were looking at a painting on the fireplace mantle. Does that mean Frank and Liam succeeded in their art heist?

1) I have a copy of that painting. It's called "Nighthawks." It later was parodied into "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" which includes James Dean, Humphrey Bogart, Marilyn Monroe, and Elvis as the subjects in the cafe. The original is in the Art Institute of Chicago. Did Frank's ICOE caper work????

2) How do they think the broken down house will garner enough money after they split the proceeds (if there are any) among the siblings (including Fiona) and Frank. They'll be lucky if they have enough to move into another broken down slum house.

3) So now The Gallaghers are going to become the "Blue Bloods Regans" and have a weekly sit down dinner. Good luck with that.

4. Kevin is one super "fuknidiot."

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, preeya said:

1) I have a copy of that painting. It's called "Nighthawks." [...] The original is in the Art Institute of Chicago. Did Frank's ICOE caper work????

That's what I took from the painting now being in the Gallagher house. Unless Frank, in his demented state, stole a high-quality print from the museum gift shop instead. Did the piece in the Gallagher house look the same size as the original to you?

6 hours ago, preeya said:

3) So now they are going to become the "Blue Bloods Regans" and have a weekly sit down dinner. Good luck with that.

Lip's being very optimistic assuming that's he (1) is going to stay out of prison, (2) will never get in trouble with the mobster who bought the bike shop, (3) will earn enough money to get a place big enough for his nuclear family as well as Liam, and (4) that Tami, with a full-time job, and a toddler and an adolescent to raise, will want to host all the Gallaghers for dinner every week, especially given Lip's disdain for her own family.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5

That's what I took from the painting now being in the Gallagher house. Unless Frank, in his demented state, stole a high-quality print from the museum gift shop instead. Did the piece in the Gallagher house look the same size as the original to you?

Per wiki, the painting is at the Art Institute of Chicago. It looks the right size to me. Whether or not Frank stole the original, I have a feeling it will never be revealed. Here's a photo for scale.

image.png.1c942e543eb3c166b7d232d915b9d193.png

Edited by HollyG
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

My POS Spectrum cloud recording fucked up again ( 2 months old, glitches like crazy $$?& frustrating, if I had. Choice , I’d ditch them, this was supposed to be fixed by resetting modem & router & updating app😡, anyone have issues with them please see me in the spectrum forum)

& I missed what happened when the black car carrying Lip pulled up to the house through the part you saw Liam and Lip convo about him moving in. Any quick synopsis? Thanks. 

14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

So we're supposed to believe that Terry and the entire Milkovich clan became neo-Nazis just because a Jewish woman spurned him? If Terry converted to Judaism while dating Rachel, and never converted back to Christianity after they broke up, he was a Jewish neo-Nazi. (Also, the story that Rachel's father didn't allow them to marry because Terry couldn't learn Hebrew doesn't pass the smell test. Most Jews who live outside of Israel don't speak Hebrew. And Hasidic Jews are not allowed to speak Hebrew unless they're praying.)

I have to disagree with this.  I live near Borough Park (which is a all orthodox) in Brooklyn, NY and they only speak Hebrew to each other - they completely separate themselves from the other (i.e., own public transportation buses, own ambulances, own police).  

Clearly whoever is writing this show does not actually watch the show, and is unfamiliar with its history. Why wouldn't Debbie know who Liam's legal guardian is? Fiona winning guardianship of her siblings was a major plot point early on in the series. Debbie was in the court room at the time it happened. Frank is also still co-guardian. 

Honestly - everyone involved in this show is just phoning it in right now. I cannot believe nobody on that set, nobody in the writer's room, not even Emma Kenney, stopped and said "Wait a minute, Debbie knows who Liam's legal guardian is."

It's almost like the show is pretending Fiona never existed, because on top of obvious errors like that we have this whole situation with the house and nobody brings up Fiona's name. 

Then there's this nonsense with Kevin and the kids, like he's never taken care of his kids before? Ever? We've seen him do it! Jeez Louise do they even watch this damn show? 

Apparently everyone from cast to crew is content to show up, pick up their paycheck and sleepwalk their way thru the job.

Also - setting Terry's cardboard coffin on fire is not going to incinerate him. The box will burn and the body will get burned but it won't be reduced to ash. More like burnt pot roast.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, chediavolo said:

& I missed what happened when the black car carrying Lip pulled up to the house through the part you saw Liam and Lip convo about him moving in. Any quick synopsis? Thanks. 

Lip and Brad were taken to the house of the mafia boss who bought Brad's bike shop. They thought it was because he found out that they stole the bikes and was going to hurt them, but he needed help fixing a miniature Mercedes for his grandson that his goons put together incorrectly.

And at the Alibi, Kev and V's twins ate the pot brownies and gummies and got high.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Clearly whoever is writing this show does not actually watch the show, and is unfamiliar with its history. ...

Honestly - everyone involved in this show is just phoning it in right now. ...

It's almost like the show is pretending Fiona never existed, because on top of obvious errors like that we have this whole situation with the house and nobody brings up Fiona's name. 

All of this, a million times repeated. I hate that this is what's become of this show (and so many others that go on too long and end up with a slow pathetic fade out). It's disappointing as hell.

• Love 6

Lip is so annoying about the house. I wonder if it means Fiona is going to show up since her name is on the deed.

I felt bad for Liam as well. I don’t think Lip spoke to Tammy about him moving in with them . He probably lied. Not that it matters. He’s Lip’s little brother. If she has a problem she can go fuck herself. 

It’s time for the show to end. It actually should have when Fiona left. She was annoying in her last season but at least she took away from Debbie. I can’t stand her. 

• Love 5

Seriously, have the writers this season never watched this show, or do they just want us to forget that this show used to be good once? We know that Fiona is Liam's guardian, that was a major story moment from back when this show wasn't ridiculous. She is still his guardian right? Nothing has changed except Fiona isn't on the show anymore so now they want us to forget that she even exists anymore. Poor Liam, no one ever took three seconds to tell him that they would still take care of him even when they are living elsewhere. Also, did Kevin get a brain injury, why is he so stupid now? I thought that Frank was the one with brain damage. Its like this show hardly even knows its characters now.

Mickey still feeling sad about Terry dying, despite Terry being a useless piece of shit, was the most real feeling part of the episode by far. He was still his father and there was probably always some part of Mickey that wanted Terry to one day be less awful, even if he knew in his head that it would never happen. Terry was an awful useless sack of shit, but its still a weird complicated feeling to lose a parent no matter the circumstances. Ian was trying really hard to be supportive, but is still rather baffled by why Mickey cares so much. Must be weird hearing about childhood memories that are even more fucked up with his, while Mickey still doesn't even seem to totally get just how messed up all his stories are. "Aw?"

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Bubbles1967 said:

Lip is so annoying about the house. I wonder if it means Fiona is going to show up since her name is on the deed.

I felt bad for Liam as well. I don’t think Lip spoke to Tammy about him moving in with them . He probably lied. Not that it matters. He’s Lip’s little brother. If she has a problem she can go fuck herself. 

It’s time for the show to end. It actually should have when Fiona left. She was annoying in her last season but at least she took away from Debbie. I can’t stand her. 

I don’t like the actress in the part she plays on the Conners either. 

• Love 4

Curious does Frank trim his beard everyday  to give himself  that two day stubble look, which has not changed one mm in eight+ years?

Edited by jww
  • LOL 1
On 3/21/2021 at 4:41 PM, chocolatine said:

The show is repeating its own storylines with children ingesting drugs. Good thing there are only three episodes left.

Since the show's repeating plot points (in the same season, no less) I'll repeat what I said when Kermit and his buddy ate all the pot brownies in the ep when The Alibi first started selling them - edibles are extremely potent.  If the girls had eaten that many IRL, Kevin would have been charged with negligent double homicide.  

Thank you - I recognized Nighthawks immediately, but I didn't know about the Art Institute of Chicago connection. 

Frank went to an assisted living facility and also spoke to someone who had Alzheimer's while he was trying to get the gang back together.  I wonder if those events represent a foreshadowing of his future. 

Nah, that's probably giving the show too much credit. 

On 3/22/2021 at 12:41 PM, iMonrey said:

Clearly whoever is writing this show does not actually watch the show, and is unfamiliar with its history. Why wouldn't Debbie know who Liam's legal guardian is? Fiona winning guardianship of her siblings was a major plot point early on in the series. Debbie was in the court room at the time it happened. Frank is also still co-guardian. 

Honestly - everyone involved in this show is just phoning it in right now. I cannot believe nobody on that set, nobody in the writer's room, not even Emma Kenney, stopped and said "Wait a minute, Debbie knows who Liam's legal guardian is."

I was yelling at the TV-- Fiona owns the house and is Liam's guardian! Why don't the characters know/remember that?

When they changed the beginning of the show and removed Fiona that was when I said-- yup . they are pretending as if she never existed. Sigh. The other characters barely mention her. 

I think Frank DID get the painting frm the museum. AND I think Jelly helped him. Remember? Frank went to see his "gang" (whom we've never heard of before now) Teas was dead - I thought the scene between Mrs. Teas, with Alzheimer's and Frank was absolutley awesome. 'Wheels' the former gang driver was in a wheelchair and Jelly, who had done well in life basically kicked Frank off his property. BUT, in order for Frank to actually have stolen the painting from the museum he would have needed at least one person to help - and better if that person was an electronics (alarm) whiz. So, I think even though it's never explained or shown, I will believe that Frank and Jelly pulled off one last caper and in doing, set up his Gallagher family for life.

Micky is the best chararcter on the show now and I agree, the writing has been pretty marginal....I liked the Milkovich addition to the season - moving in next door. Didn't care about V and her Mom stuff. Kevin and girls was rediculous - he used to be such a good character...this season was a low for him. Never liked Fiona, so this was one of my favorite seasons overall.

• Love 1