Type keyword(s) to search

Mare of Easttown in the Media

• Start Topic

Kate Winslet is HBO's newest brooding detective in Mare Of Easttown trailer

HBO is adding Kate Winslet to its slew of actresses—like Amy Adams in Sharp Objects, Nicole Kidman in The Undoing, and the women of Big Little Lies—who find themselves embroiled in a murder mystery. In the seven-episode limited series Mare Of Easttown, Winslet puts on her best Philly accent as Mare Sheehan, a detective in a small Pennsylvania town who investigates a local murder.

It wouldn’t be a prestige drama if Mare’s personal life wasn’t falling apart as she solves the crime. The show is also an exploration into the dark side of a close community and an authentic examination of how family and past tragedies can define our present. As seen in the new trailer below, she became a detective just like her father, who passed away when she was 13 and she doesn’t get along with her mother Helen, played by the iconic Jean Smart.

• Useful 1

Quite a positive review from Vulture.

... That mood, mixed with all those other elements, evokes a number of recent and semi-recent series, including Happy Valley, Top of the Lake, Sharp Objects, and Clarice.

But Mare of Easttown, created and written by Brad Ingelsby (Our Friend, The Way Back), distinguishes itself with strong characters who will grow on viewers with each hour-long installment they consume. HBO sent five of the seven episodes to critics, and by episode three, I was fully invested in Mare Sheehan, played by a thoroughly committed Kate Winslet, and the lives of everyone connected to her in this place she’s called home for her entire life.

10 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Saturday Night Live did a pretty funny sketch about the show last night. I loved it. 

I commented on the SNL thread that I was laughing so hard I could hardly hear the lines. The whole thing was so well done that for a second I thought they were using a clip from the actual show, and that it was Kate W., not Kate M. that they were showing. Highly recommend. Here's one where you can tell the writers have watched the show they're spoofing. 

• Love 2

For obvious reasons, one of the cast members is being interviewed quite a bit after this episode. 

Here's one of the interviews.  Spoiler alert, if you were left with questions after ep. 5, there are some definitive answers in the interview.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Mare of Easttown finale was the most watched episode of any HBO original series on HBO Max

The May 30 finale of “Mare of Easttown” drew four million viewers across Memorial Day Weekend, with nearly three million viewers Sunday night on all HBO platforms, marking a series high for the WarnerMedia premium cabler’s linear and digital outlets.

“Sacrament” set a record as the most-watched episode of an HBO original series on the network’s streaming platform during its first 24 hours of availability. It bested the finales of recent HBO hits “The Undoing” and “The Flight Attendant” over the same period of time.

Audiences for “The Mare of Easttown” grew each and every week, allowing the series to join “The Undoing” as the only show in HBO’s history to grow consecutively with each episode. Viewership of the series will continue to build significantly once additional telecasts and digital viewing are factored in the rating measurements.

Kate Winslet: “I would absolutely love to play Mare again"

Craig Zobel's take on a second season

This is a limited series, but it’s also done quite well for HBO and there are open ends at least in terms of the characters. Could you see there being more material here?

It was written as a limited, and it ends — there’s no more mystery to be solved. Kate and I, if we could crack a story that we were really proud of and felt like it was a deserving second chapter in Mare’s journey, then maybe. I haven’t cracked that yet; I don’t know what that is, honestly. But if there was a world in which we were convinced, this is a continuation of the story that honors the first chapter and does things an audience will appreciate, then maybe. But as of right now, I have no idea what that could be.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo