Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Bar None

jewel21
  • Start Topic

When Geri decides to sell the bar, it throws Walker for a loop. With so many memories attached to the bar, he asks Geri to reconsider and reminds her of all the good times they’ve had there with Emily and Hoyt. Meanwhile, Micki is shocked when her mother drops in unexpectedly.

Airdate: 03/11/2021

this is why you don't go undercover in the same town where you live. 

I didn't love this episode.  I get it about the bar.  I really do.  But, ask Geri to wait until Monday before she does anything and go on your camping trip.   He blows off his kids way too much.

Ouch on nailing your hand.  

Stella can't catch a break. Now her boyfriend's going to kill her, or her dad, or kidnap her, or blackmail her.  I don't even know.  Or that will be the plan but he won't do it because love.

I feel like Grandpa gets the win this week as best character.

And I disagree.  I actually think that not everything has to be good t be good does make sense.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3

I was kind of confused: was Walker in trouble for how he handled that suspect from the pilot episode or is this some other case off-screen?  Because I remember the guy throwing a punch at him and Walker possibly going overboard with force, but I don't remember him spitting on Walker.  And it seems like Walker has actually been pretty well-behaved during the past few cases.  But I guess it was this show's way to address police brutality and have Walker be punished (although I wonder how long he will be suspended, since I don't see him just hanging around the ranch for too long.)

I liked that there wasn't any kind of real case here and I do see how being the year anniversary of Emily's death would make Walker regress on some levels and go overboard with wanting to save the bar, but I was definitely getting annoyed with him once again pushing aside his kids to deal with his own issues.  He's really, really lucky that he has others in his life who can pick up his slack and that even Stella and August themselves at least seem to understand why he does it (even if Stella especially gets annoyed by it, understandably), but he really needs to find better ways to deal with his grief.  In other words, making try and seek out some therapy, Walker!

Finally get to meet Micki's mom and while she wasn't a total nightmare or anything, I can definitely see why those two butt heads a lot, and why she isn't happy with Micki's career choice.  At least she did approve of Trey, because Trey is awesome.  But I'm guessing we'll dive more into their story next week.

Sorry, Captain James, but I'm with both Liam and Hoyt: you did not pull off that jacket.  Looked like you were getting ready for a ski trip to the mountains then working a case.

Speaking of which, no surprise that it looks like the initial suspect in Emily's death might not be the killer after-all.  It's never simple on television, is it?  Curious to know how much time Hoyt got off his sentence for his undercover work.  Realistically, he should still be in jail for a while for what he did, but I can't see the show keeping him locked up for long.

Heh, I kind of loved that Bonham was more easy going and friendly over Stella having a boyfriend than either Abeline or Walker.  Underneath all of that crusty, cranky, Mitch Pileggi exterior is a big old softy!

Normally I would find getting a nail through the hand painful, but thanks to my current Supernatural viewing, I"m just like "Honestly, this is nothing for a Jared Padalecki character.  Sam probably would take getting a nail through his hand every week compared to some of the shit he has/had to deal with!"

Well, those final minutes certain gave me some major whiplash with all of the twist and turns.  Geri might have possibly been involved with Emily's death?!  Trevor is actually the son of one of the guys Walker betrayed during his undercover gig and rats him out to dear old dad?!  Damn, show, we're only on episode six!  Slow your roll!

• Love 3

Wow, okay. They're not establishing themselves as a COTW show. 

I really liked the boyfriend and am totally bummed that he's a bad guy.

So, is this a coincidence? Because he didn't seem to know who her dad was. Does this mean he was really interested in Stella, and this just kind of fell into his lap?

• Love 2

Whoa! It went from pleasantly peaceful, sadly lighthearted to full intrigue.

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

this is why you don't go undercover in the same town where you live. 

I didn't love this episode.  I get it about the bar.  I really do.  But, ask Geri to wait until Monday before she does anything and go on your camping trip.   He blows off his kids way too much.

Ouch on nailing your hand.  

Stella can't catch a break. Now her boyfriend's going to kill her, or her dad, or kidnap her, or blackmail her.  I don't even know.  Or that will be the plan but he won't do it because love.

I feel like Grandpa gets the win this week as best character.

And I disagree.  I actually think that not everything has to be good t be good does make sense.

I agree. It is the silver linings that are the most beautiful.

2 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Wow, okay. They're not establishing themselves as a COTW show. 

I really liked the boyfriend and am totally bummed that he's a bad guy.t

So, is this a coincidence? Because he didn't seem to know who her dad was. Does this mean he was really interested in Stella, and this just kind of fell into his lap?

that's how I took it.

• Love 1

Agree with most of what y'all have already said but I do have one other serious grievance tho. This whole camping trip was supposed to be about honoring Emily's memory as a family. The fact that Stella wanted to drag some boy along seriously bugged me. Maybe it's just me but it felt disrespectful to to the occasion. 

I suppose its entirely possible that Emily would've been cool with it. She seemed like a very loving and inclusive person.  

I guess I felt triggered. My family suffered a sudden and horrible loss awhile back and when we get together on the anniversary of that passing we kept it to family only. But then everyone grieves differently.

Still bugs.    

• Love 4
5 hours ago, wlk68 said:

Agree with most of what y'all have already said but I do have one other serious grievance tho. This whole camping trip was supposed to be about honoring Emily's memory as a family. The fact that Stella wanted to drag some boy along seriously bugged me. Maybe it's just me but it felt disrespectful to to the occasion. 

I suppose its entirely possible that Emily would've been cool with it. She seemed like a very loving and inclusive person.  

Not as disrespectful as completely bailing.  And she didn't invite him until it was pretty clear that Walker wasn't coming back.  

And don't forget, it doesn't have to be good to be good.

I think Walker keeps trying to do the right thing, backslides a bit, realizes it, and course corrects.

For most of the show, you wanted to throw a rock at his head, but then he came around at the end and apologized for being a jerk and tried to make it right.

He's learning. And they're showing him as being human and making mistakes.

• Love 4

like the twists in this show - I had figured Geri was hiding something, but the ‘hush money’ surprised me - and I appreciate that Liam and Captain James are not the bad guys they initially came across as.  Anyone else thinking Trevor will play a big part in the season finale - will he or his father kidnap Stella, forcing Walker to go against the law, or will the dad do it alone and Trevor has a change of heart and saves Stella?  Was surprised they brought Matt Barr back for so comparatively little, but it’s always nice to see his handsome face.  Having ghost Emily actually speak this time made me warm and fuzzy, but kinda sad anyway, especially when the camera panned back to Cordell watching over his sleeping kids alone.  And I think I want Bonham to adopt me - he’s quietly fabulous.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

like the twists in this show - I had figured Geri was hiding something, but the ‘hush money’ surprised me - and I appreciate that Liam and Captain James are not the bad guys they initially came across as.

Me, too.

What I like is that this looked like it was going to be Walker going rogue and hunting down the clues, with nobody believing him, which is so overdone. I like that it's not only his brother, but his boss who's actively tracking down the clues.

51 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

,or will the dad do it alone and Trevor has a change of heart and saves Stella?

I'm really hoping it's this scenario, since he didn't go in there in the first place to trick her. He was genuinely surprised by Walker. 

I want Trevor saved here. I don't want him to be the bad guy or that he's being duplicitous. 

Maybe he's just loyal to his dad and doesn't realize how far he'll take it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

There were so many twists in the last few minutes my "dundunDUN" sound effect about wore out. Not only is Gerri possibly involved in whatever happened to Emily, but Trevor is the son of one of the guys that Walker sent to jail when he was undercover! So many plots twists and its only episode six! I am hoping that there is more to Gerri and the money because I really like her and that maybe Trevor will end up siding with Walker if his dad tries to hurt Stella, but who knows? 

I like that they took a break from the COTW to focus on character stuff as the Walkers deal with the one year anniversary of Emily's death and Micki deals with her mom suddenly arriving. I do hope that we can see some more real progress on Walker being there for his kids, there seems to be a pattern of him messing up and apologizing pretty much every week, but I am glad they are showing his character growth gradually. It was pretty obvious that he and Micki were hiding from their problems in the bar and while it took awhile it was nice to see them helping each other realize what they were doing. I continue to like their relationship a lot, they have each other back and enjoy each others company but are willing to call each other on their crap when they need to. I should have known they would use the insurance money to buy the bar, it seems like Emily would have approved. 

We finally meet Micki's mom and while she seems like a decent person who is passionate about social reform, I can see why she and Micki butt heads and why her mom can be a lot. Of course she at least loves Trey, because Trey is the best and everyone should love him. He even speaks Spanish, what a guy. She also didn't seem all that surprised by getting arrested, so we are certainly going to be getting a lot more of her. I would like to see her and Micki really hash things out. 

Who would have thought Bonham would be the one being all welcoming of Stella's new boyfriend while Abeline is all suspicious? I really liked seeing more of them and how they are dealing with things, although I do find it a little weird that Stella would bring her boyfriend to this very emotional family event as the first time they meet him. She did seem to be in a good mood most of the episode though, and was even quite forgiving of her dad having a renovation freak out, so I guess whatever makes her happy. 

Not at all surprised that there is more to Emily's death than it just being a random crime by some random guy, its never that simple. Liam and James are on the trail of something but Walker is going to be really upset when he finds out that they have been keeping this from him. They have good intentions, but like all "I cant tell them to protect them" secrets on television, its inevitably going to backfire. Fun seeing Hoyt again, I wonder if this will be the excuse to get him out of jail faster? 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, wlk68 said:

I thought the boyfriend was Stella's backup plan to get the kids to the camping site when Cordell flaked.

I am not sure who called their grandparents to take them camping, maybe Cordell, maybe August?

I am pretty sure the grandparents were not part of the original plan.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought the boyfriend was Stella's backup plan to get the kids to the camping site when Cordell flaked.

I am not sure who called their grandparents to take them camping, maybe Cordell, maybe August?

I am pretty sure the grandparents were not part of the original plan.

Yes. She called the bf as a backup, not knowing that Cordell called his parents and arranged for them to take the kids.

23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

There were so many twists in the last few minutes my "dundunDUN" sound effect about wore out. Not only is Gerri possibly involved in whatever happened to Emily, but Trevor is the son of one of the guys that Walker sent to jail when he was undercover! So many plots twists and its only episode six! I am hoping that there is more to Gerri and the money because I really like her and that maybe Trevor will end up siding with Walker if his dad tries to hurt Stella, but who knows? 

It really seemed like they were setting her up as an eventual love interest for Walker, so I was extra surprised. Here's hoping it's not what it looks like, because yowza.

It was pretty obvious that he and Micki were hiding from their problems in the bar and while it took awhile it was nice to see them helping each other realize what they were doing. I continue to like their relationship a lot, they have each other back and enjoy each others company but are willing to call each other on their crap when they need to. I should have known they would use the insurance money to buy the bar, it seems like Emily would have approved. 

I really do love their relationship. Up to this point, she's had kind of a mothering influence on him, but here, he kind of taught her a lesson as well. I also like they've put her in a relationship with a fantastic guy, so there's no potential love relationship brewing here. Just a solid partnership.

We finally meet Micki's mom and while she seems like a decent person who is passionate about social reform, I can see why she and Micki butt heads and why her mom can be a lot. Of course she at least loves Trey, because Trey is the best and everyone should love him. He even speaks Spanish, what a guy. She also didn't seem all that surprised by getting arrested, so we are certainly going to be getting a lot more of her. I would like to see her and Micki really hash things out. 

It usually takes a couple of episodes before they tone someone down, so I was pleasantly surprised that it happened within the episode. And just in time, too.

Not at all surprised that there is more to Emily's death than it just being a random crime by some random guy, its never that simple. Liam and James are on the trail of something but Walker is going to be really upset when he finds out that they have been keeping this from him. They have good intentions, but like all "I cant tell them to protect them" secrets on television, its inevitably going to backfire. Fun seeing Hoyt again, I wonder if this will be the excuse to get him out of jail faster? 

Yeah. I was shocked when they came up with a simple explanation. Oddly enough, I was just a tiny bit suspicious of Geri, because she knew a lot and was one of the first people to come up with explanations for stuff Walker was trying to put together.

It looks like they may be giving Hoyt a redemption arc. But I like how they're using him in prison. 

Edited by Sweet Tooth
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Yeah. I was shocked when they came up with a simple explanation. Oddly enough, I was just a tiny bit suspicious of Gerri, because she knew a lot and was one of the first people to come up with explanations for stuff Walker was trying to put together.

I thought Geri knew a lot because she was there with Cordell's wife when she was killed. I was surprised that she doesn't know more about the incident. Maybe they separated to distribute the food to more locations, so that she wasn't quite there-there.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought Geri knew a lot because she was there with Cordell's wife when she was killed. I was surprised that she doesn't know more about the incident. Maybe they separated to distribute the food to more locations, so that she wasn't quite there-there.

Yeah, some things seemed a little fishy, so I wasn't entirely surprised to find out something was, indeed, fishy.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ukgirl71 said:

like the twists in this show - I had figured Geri was hiding something, but the ‘hush money’ surprised me - and I appreciate that Liam and Captain James are not the bad guys they initially came across as.  Anyone else thinking Trevor will play a big part in the season finale - will he or his father kidnap Stella, forcing Walker to go against the law, or will the dad do it alone and Trevor has a change of heart and saves Stella?  Was surprised they brought Matt Barr back for so comparatively little, but it’s always nice to see his handsome face.  Having ghost Emily actually speak this time made me warm and fuzzy, but kinda sad anyway, especially when the camera panned back to Cordell watching over his sleeping kids alone.  And I think I want Bonham to adopt me - he’s quietly fabulous.

Do you think it is just hush money with respect to Geri or something even more sinister? That smirk as she was driving away...

I really like Bonham, too!

The Trevor twist was so surprising. That he went to his dad that quickly, suggests he is just using Stella and has developed no real feelings. Hopefully, that changes. It will hurt Stella, regardless.

• Love 1

I'm bummed about the Geri thing and hope it's a red-herring. I really like the character and don't want her to have been involved in Emily's murder. 

I definitely was surprised Stella's boyfriend being the son of the man Cordell put away. I'm looking forward to seeing that play out. 

• Love 3

While I like the way this show showcases women and their capabilities, I wish Walker was occasionally allowed to be good at something.  Micki does the heavy lifting in taking down the bad guys, with the exception of the time Walker lost his temper and is now in trouble for.  His wife has/had the cool car and could drive stick (does the ranch have no tractors?), and she apparently was also the one who was the competent handyman, while Walker nails his hand to a board and breaks more than he fixes.  Oh, and the womenfolk are also the mechanics.  

I mean, yay, women!  But just because a woman is competent at something, doesn't mean that the man can't be as well.   It's not like there's only so much competency to go around, it's not a pie. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Wynne88 said:

I mean, yay, women!  But just because a woman is competent at something, doesn't mean that the man can't be as well.   It's not like there's only so much competency to go around, it's not a pie. 

They showed when Walker took his Ranger Exam that Walker is good with horses even though it didn't show in the exam and an excellent driver, I am not sure if his wife is teaching him how to drive or just how to drive a stick. 

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am not sure if his wife is teaching him how to drive or just how to drive a stick. 

How to drive a stick, and then they went full circle when Walker taught Stella later that same epi.