Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: The Promise

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Oliver is stunned when he discovers that Slade is in Starling City; back on the island, Sara and Oliver form a plan to deal with Slade's growing Mirakuru-induced rage.

That was a GREAT episode. I just wish we didn't have to wait two weeks again for a new one now. Watching Slade realize everyone was showing up to help protect the Queen family was so good! I really liked Roy shaking Slade's hand and Slade realizing that Roy was Mirakuru strong. So cool I'm so into this arc and this show in general.

• Love 1

I wasn't a big fan of this episode, and I think it's because I have to make an effort to care much about the Island stuff (it gets more interesting every episode, but only a tiny bit at a time for me). So the present-day stuff was pretty much scene after scene of Oliver and Slade glaring at each other, which isn't all that thrilling. And the Island stuff, while certainly more action-packed, is by its very nature less suspenseful because we know the main players live. So the surprises from that section--Sara and others are back on the island, Oliver is on the freighter with a hostile Slade in command, and Ivo survived--are interesting, but have no urgency.

So I'm a fan of this arc, and definitely a Slade/Manu Bennett fan, but episodes like this with barely anything going on in the present day are never going to be my favorites.

• Love 1

I can totally get that perspective. For some reason I find the island stuff very compelling and even though I know that some of these players live I like finding out more about them. I'm hoping they don't take it so far that it lasts for all the seasons though, like I do enjoy the parallel story but I don't want it to be forever. At some point we need to catch up to current time and have it continue from there. If anything just to let poor Stephen Amell stop having to put on awful wigs. 

• Love 2

I liked how this episode came together thematically and in terms of energy (the next two have been kind of let downs in comparison for me).

The island scenes were really compelling the first time around, but as I'm rewatching S1, I'm not paying as much attention to them since I'm more interested in seeing the present day interactions and character development.  I think that the flashbacks rely more on reveals than on deep development (fewer characters involved too), which lessens the long-term appeal.

It was as compelling to me on a second watch. I paid attention to different parts of the screen in some scenes, but primarily, I found it almost as tension-building as the first time.

Not that I didn't still cringe at the clunky "Save Oliver!" line. (Maybe Felicity can put in a red/green-colored old school phone so folks know it's okay to answer it if she's not there? Even freaking Alfred answered the flamin' Batphone for Bruce Wayne, so answer the dang thing, it might be important! Felicity is not the Personal Assistant of the damn Cave!)

I was disappointed that Moira's sharpness seemed to be tucked away in her fabulously appointed dressing area for this episode.  (I have taken my ideas on the subject to her thread.)

The big boat fight wasn't as awesome, but I liked the whole sequence from Oliver's boarding to Ivo's first big hurt, a bit more.

This episode surprised me. I was surprised because I was "meh" about it. It had tension, Slade, amazing action scenes, Slade. For some reason though I just didn't find it that good. Then I was doubly surprised because all the reviews and comments and video reviews were like OMG IT WAS AMAZING. Distressing to say the least.

What Felicity said, along with the coat she was wearing took the cake for me.

Edited by ArrowLimbo

This is one of my least favorite episodes of the season, and I honestly think that as this series ages, people will view it with less enthusiasm than it received on first airing. It is a 45-minute stroll around the Queen mansion, featuring an extended Slade/Oliver glare-off, plus flashbacks. Everyone speaks as slowly as possible, with ridiculously long pauses between every sentence. I like the scene where Roy and Sara show up in the foyer, but even that one is too slow and awkward and it's so obvious that something weird is going on! Honestly, Moira and Thea should have been like, "So...did we stumble onto some freaky sex club here, or...?"

"Please save Oliver." Shudder. Never again, writers. Never again.

• Love 3

And we knew beforehand what would happen in the flashbacks, because they decided to reveal Slade to the audience before they revealed him to Oliver. We already knew Slade would turn on Oliver because of Shado. So for an episode that was 75% flashbacks, it felt like they were just recapping stuff, which: predictable, and annoying. As much as I enjoy crazy big stunts and explosions, this episode felt like a clip show more than anything.

• Love 1

The first watch, I had my Starry-Liking-Amell goggles of Fan Love on, as far as the boat fight, even though I ended up deciding 'meh.' (Ollie trying to escape and then being slammed into the side of the boat never NOT gets a cringe and a 'D'Oh!' from me.  It's like the Hulk/Loki scene in The Avengers for me. I blame The Flintstones.)

To be fair, we found out: Sara and Roy are phone-phobic (good reasons? TBD, I guess),  Sara could possibly be an awesome hero mentor (her mention of "Oliver just makes it look easy"), Oliver doesn't understand what all encompasses 'death' as a non-doctor (Dig's "Isn't he dead?" to Sara), Thea could've had a cool/sweet gig being a docent at the Star(ling) City Museum of Art ( a teacher had Thea essentially be a docent to her family's extensive art collection), Moira's down with scotch, Oliver is not all shuddery to find mice crawling on him (better than me)/become so NotPartyBoy!Oliver that he is past his "gross!" reflex.

This is where we got the info that Ivo is married and totes humanitarian, really. *g*

IIRC, Slade stated in S1 that he was divorce and had a son, yet when Moira asks him, Mirakuru has made Slade All About Shado. So my gripe is not so much that he's a big ol' liar, but that Mirakuru wipes your memory, if that was accurate about the ex-wife and young son. It could have been considered a feature not a bug, seeing as how Roy acted and has no memory of his "blackout".

I personally, don't find the episode ZOMG!!!1!11, but I liked the verbal play between Ollie and Slade, Slade and Sara getting to the Amazo, Anatoly on the beach, and the running, jumping and shooting training scenes.  I think that Blind Spot was worse than this ep, but mileage varies, obviously.

The first watch, I had my Starry-Liking-Amell goggles of Fan Love on, as far as the boat fight, even though I ended up deciding 'meh.' (Ollie trying to escape and then being slammed into the side of the boat never NOT gets a cringe and a 'D'Oh!' from me.  It's like the Hulk/Loki scene in The Avengers for me. I blame The Flintstones.)

YES, that stunt is so freaking cool. I forgot it was in this episode. For that, it gets bumped up at least half a grade.

• Love 1

Yea, the ep wasn't as good to me. It was necessary though. 

Also I still don't get why Oliver called Felicity. If he wanted Sara to hear Slade's voice...why not call Sara? 

Probably because Felicity's the only one in the foundry who's constantly next to her phone. Sara and Diggle work out down there - there was a chance they wouldn't have answered and he only had one shot.

Probably because Felicity's the only one in the foundry who's constantly next to her phone. Sara and Diggle work out down there - there was a chance they wouldn't have answered and he only had one shot.

There was also a chance Sara wasn't even around Felicity or her phone. That seems riskier to me. 

This was my second least favorite episode of the season (Time of Death was my most hated). It was right in the middle of the Lance Drama marathon where Sara was everywhere and when she wasn't there, Laurel was.  It was the, "please save Oliver" episodes and that Felicity got 4? lines of dialogue that whole episode, combined with the horrible fur coat that Felicity went brooch crazy with ( that bothered me I have no idea why.) It was mainly already known filler and all set up for Slade planting cameras around the mansion for the Unthinkable pay off.  It was also right in the middle of hiatus, show, 2 week hiatus, show, show hiatus so the Lance drama and the lack of Felicity and Diggle was exacerbated.  After having watched them OOC everyone in TOD (ymmv) and smother me with Laurel in BOP and her addiction arc by the time this episode was over I was seriously deciding whether or not I wanted to keep watching Arrow.

Even during re watch I find myself zoning out for the majority of it.  For all the times the writers speed through story the one time they decided to stop and have characters moments I was wishing for a time machine to get me to the next episode where maybe something new would happen.

• Love 2

Maybe not, but it got the job done since Sara got the team to show up at the mansion.  But whatever in-show reasoning they had for Oliver calling Felicity instead of Sara (maybe he knew Sara was heading down to train while he was heading to the mansion), I think the show reasoning was simply directorial in nature. (This is by memory, btw, I didn't watch the repeat last night and haven't seen it since it first aired, so if details are off, that's why.) By calling Felicity's phone, it starts out a fun little snarky scene as she puts him on speaker, Sara hears it from across the room and then it gets all tense as the camera does that zoom in on her face as she does the big Slade reveal.  I remember noting it was a very stylistic directing choice.  If they start with Sara talking to Oliver on her phone I think the reveal loses its impact. 

• Love 2

This was my second least favorite episode of the season (Time of Death was my most hated). It was right in the middle of the Lance Drama marathon where Sara was everywhere and when she wasn't there, Laurel was.  It was the, "please save Oliver" episodes and that Felicity got 4? lines of dialogue that whole episode, combined with the horrible fur coat that Felicity went brooch crazy with ( that bothered me I have no idea why.) 

That outfit reminded me of Garcia on Criminal Minds. I like Garcia but she is never, ever going to be anything other than comic relief on that show, and that makes me mad.

Yeah, I don't think I even got through watching this episode the first time, much less the second unlike the awesome The Odyssey.  Too much Oliver/Sara/Slade, not enough Diggle and way way not enough Felicity.  (As for the Please save Oliver".. maybe if they had actually given her something to do in the episode, she wouldn't have had to look like such an idiot.)   Or Roy or Thea really.  Maybe it was a story that had to be told to set up finale but it wasn't a story I was interested in.

It made story-telling sense that Sara was the one to take the lead when they found out that Slade was still around, and she was a big part of the flashbacks but this is where they really lost me on her character because it. was. just. too. much.   It wasn't until Streets of Fire that I started to care again.

And it's a pity because I'm sure they tried really hard to make it a good show.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Something I hadn't picked up on before.  Oliver asks why Ivo was so obsessed with finding the mirikuru.  Sara's answer:  "He want's to save the world."

Suddenly "Laurel Lance, always trying to save the world." sounds even more ominous than it did before. 

• Love 5

I just assumed Felicity was #1 on his speed dial, so she was the one he could call with it being least obvious.

And the "no one else answering the phone scene" would have worked better if it weren't Felicity's cell phone.

215 (The Promise) – Oliver Queen’s voiceover intro:
Oliver (voiceover): "My name is Oliver Queen. After five years on a hellish island, I have come home with only one goal-- to save my city. But to do so, I can't be the killer I once was. To honor my friend's memory, I must be someone else. I must be something else."

215 (The Promise) – Oliver secretly calls Felicity for help when Slade Wilson is at the Queen mansion:
(Slade is being shown the art collection at the Queen mansion by Moira and Thea, accompanied by Oliver who secretly dials Felicity on his cell phone.)
Thea: "And here we have a Curtis Swan from 1882. Fun fact about this one - he actually painted it with his left hand due to severe arthritis." 
Slade: "It's absolutely exquisite." 
Moira: "I can't tell you how many offers we've had from private collectors for it."
Thea: "But it was one of dad's favorites. Wasn't it, Ollie?"
Oliver: "Yes, it was. He loved that one."
Slade: "Then you must never sell it. I believe that when we lose someone we love, we have the obligation to honor their memory."
(Cut to Arrowcave where Felicity's phone is ringing and Roy is shooting arrows while Sara watches.)
Roy: "Oof. I think eventually I'd hit something."
Sara: "Be patient. Ollie makes it look easy." 
Felicity (entering with Diggle): "Is anyone going to get that? I'll take that as 'no'. No worries. No matter where I go, I'm just answering phones. Hello? Oliver? Well, I do think we have been butt dialed."
Thea (heard through phone): "And here is a Joseph Cooper from 1890." 
Roy: "Hey, that's Thea." 
Slade (heard through phone): "That's gorgeous." 
Sara: "Wait, hold on. I know that voice."
Slade (heard through phone): "I actually have a painting from his first solo exhibition in Boston."
Sara: "Oh, God, no. 
Diggle: "Who is that?"
Sara: "His name is Slade Wilson. And unless we stop him, he's going to kill Oliver and his entire family."
Sara: "We have to move. Now." 
Diggle: "Are you sure it was Slade Wilson? I thought he was dead."
Sara: "I'm sure. That's not a voice I'd ever forget. What's the biggest gun you got down here? That might work."
Roy: "Might?" 
Sara: "He has the Mirakuru in him." 
Roy: "So do I."
Sara: "Can I trust you?" 
Roy: "I'll be fine." 
Sara: "Slade was a trained killer even before he was injected. You get the chance, you get a shot, you put him down."
Felicity: "Please save Oliver."

215 (The Promise) – Sara, Diggle, Felicity and Roy prepare to rescue the Queens from Slade:
Sara (over comms, approaches the Queen mansion): "Slade Wilson is dangerous. No chances, no mistakes."
Diggle (over comms): "I'm in position. When Slade comes out, I'll have the shot."
Felicity (over comms): "Thermal imaging's coming up now. They're in the northwest hall."
Sara (over comms): "Roy, remember, just get Thea and Moira away from Slade. Don't start a fight, you'll lose. Okay?"
Roy (over comms): "Okay."
Sara (over comms): "Let's go." 

Edited by tv echo