Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The Riddle of the Broken Doll

• Start Topic

I really adore this show. It's something I look forward to every week and it rarely disappoints. I was worried the second season would show a decrease in quality but it's just as good, if not better, than the first season. At least up until now. 

That creature/body was beyond creepy. The way it was all curled up gave me shivers. And when Nancy pulled the beetles out if its mouth I almost vomited. 

I really liked Leo, and his father freaking out that the supernatural exists make me laugh so hard. 

Also, Nancy called Carson dad at one point. She's definitely starting to forgive him. 

I really want people to start realizing that George is occasionally being possessed. 

• Love 10

Ace continues to be a delight. I loved when he and Bess were trying so hard to casually justify examining the haunted corpse (and kudos to the writers and the makeup/special effects people because that thing just got creepier and creepier as the episode went on). I also appreciated that he offered to talk to George when Nick said he was worried about her but didn't want to push her too much. Ace did a good job talking to her about it too. He was empathetic but he kept asking questions so that she would talk to him about it.

I'm interested to see how the relationship between Nancy and Connor develops. They started out understandably antagonistic but now that he's seen what he can't unsee, maybe he will eventually become the Ravi to her Liv. Between her community service at the morgue and working for Drew, now she will have access to all kinds of cases that might not have crossed her path (or might have crossed her path much later).

I was glad that Hannah spelled out exactly why she was furious at Nancy for potentially unleashes God knows what from those boxes, but I was also glad that Nancy made it clear she was trying to figure out exactly what was going on with the creepy corpse because she was trying to protect the town. Hannah's anger is totally justified because Nancy was reckless, but hopefully once Nancy proves that she is going to take responsibility for the consequences of whatever escaped, Hannah will continue to thaw towards her.

• Love 8

I love that Hannah has contacts with priests specializing in evil corpses in Greece, I feel like Hannah is the star of a totally different supernatural mystery show that we are only getting glimpses of. Hannah being mad at Nancy is understandable, but I hope that they can move forward when she sees how much Nancy is trying to help protect the town. 

Also coming around to Nancy is Connor, who has never cared for her but now seems like he might be a good potential ally. When your a ghost hunter, its good to be pals with the guy who handles the bodies. I love how freaked he was by realizing that the supernatural is real, that is a pretty valid reaction, and Leo is a super cute kid.

Its also nice seeing Carson and Nancy making steps towards rebuilding their relationship. Nancy reaching out to him and wanting to work with him is a big step. 

That body was really creepy, especially all of the stuff inside of it and its weird jerky movements, so nasty. Loved Ace's enthusiasm for supernatural mysteries, he is an absolute treasure. I especially liked him talking to George about her near death experience and how he dealt with coming back after his own near death experience. Ace is just down for whatever needs doing, be it pep talks, game nights, or autopsies of evil corpses. 

So George is now sharing with Odette, glad that they are telling us right away. This is a great start to the actual second season, I am glad that the show is still going strong. 

"I swear if you ask if we're still having game night..."  

• Love 8

I really do love that the Drew Crew is just so use to this stuff now, that opening up a possibly haunted corpse barely made any of them flinch.  Even Nick's objections were more among the lines of "Do we really have to go back to this crap, again?", instead of freaking out.  And then there is Ace just debating if they should use the scissors or the pizza cutter first, while Bess rightfully points out that it is better to operate in the living room instead of the kitchen, since they is more room there.  Just another day at the office!

So, it looks like right now that there won't be a major case yet, but it will be more along the lines of a "monster of the week" again, with them dealing with all of the creatures and haunting Nancy's accidentally unleashed upon Horseshoe Bay.  That should be fun, although I'm now bummed that Supernatural has already ended, because that would be one hell of a crossover.  I can just see Sam and Dean showing up and being all "The hell is going on here?!" (yep, I'm currently binging that show for the first time, so it's currently on my mind.)

Wouldn't mind seeing both Connor and Leo again.

Carson and Nancy seem to be on better terms now, so that's good.  Being in financial trouble isn't good though, but hopefully Nancy can help bring him some clients!

George not only is dealing with some likely PTSD over her death, but is actually being haunted by Odette?  Yikes!

• Love 8
13 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Why is Odette possessing George and not Bess, with whom she has a lot more in common? Open chakras doesn't seem like much of a deterrent.

I assume it has to do with George's death and supernatural resurrection.

• Love 3

1. Kinda love that it only took a few months of ghosts and curses for the Drew Crew to reach the point where the real question was whether or not they should use a pizza cutter to autopsy a cursed corpse.  That entire scene, right down to Nick's glum acceptance at the end, was hilarious. 

2. Also love that the pairings keep getting switched around, giving us a return to Nick and Nancy, but also reminding us that George and Ace have near death/death in common - along with a brief glimpse of the Ace/Bess friendship.

3. And also also love that Nancy is slowly but surely building up a network of Helpful Locals, including the Irritated Historian with her useful worldwide supernatural contexts, the initially skeptical and now grateful coroner, and the kid really into marine biology who also knows something about bugs. I can easily see the entire town, minus the irritating cop, ganging up to eliminate every single supernatural threat in Maine, and maybe even Vermont and New Hampshire.

4. Kinda surprised by just how many cliffhanger plot threads from the last episode never even got a mention here, including Bess ghosting her girlfriend, Ryan getting the info to help take his father down, and Ace maybe/maybe not having a sibling. In the absence of said info, I'm going to guess that Bess and the girlfriend are at least temporarily over; Ryan will use the info in a later episode that has time to let Nancy talk to Ryan; and Ace very definitely has a sibling, but said sibling hasn't had the chance to call back - or is freaking out about calling back, you pick.

5. And one other major, important complaint: this episode reminded me that I don't have a yacht where I can go get my chakras aligned. The universe has completely failed me, which is bad enough without reminders like this. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, quarks said:

And one other major, important complaint: this episode reminded me that I don't have a yacht where I can go get my chakras aligned. The universe has completely failed me, which is bad enough without reminders like this. 

Plotwise, I felt that Bess was a bit extraneous in this episode (which I'm fine with because a little bit of the Marvin family drama goes a long way), but her presence was totally worthwhile for the conversations about the yacht and the pizza cutter.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Plotwise, I felt that Bess was a bit extraneous in this episode (which I'm fine with because a little bit of the Marvin family drama goes a long way), but her presence was totally worthwhile for the conversations about the yacht and the pizza cutter.

I'm kinda amazed by how little Marvin family drama we've had so far this season, given how big this was last season. 

I'm expecting that to change later this season, though.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, quarks said:

I'm kinda amazed by how little Marvin family drama we've had so far this season, given how big this was last season. 

I'm expecting that to change later this season, though.

I'd prefer to keep the Marvin family stuff to a minimum. I find just about everything else more interesting. Even when they tried to make it all ~dramatic~ with the big reveals at fancy parties and the aunt setting Bess up, I still found it boring.

• Love 3

Connor: I'm calling the police.
Nancy: To tell them what? That you left a proven burglar alone during her community service in the morgue against protocol, giving her clearly plenty of time to take a murder victim home?

The Drew Crew's expressions were absolutely priceless.   As was Bess declaring that of course they wouldn't be doing said autopsy in the kitchen,  because the living room made more sense. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/26/2021 at 6:27 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'd prefer to keep the Marvin family stuff to a minimum. I find just about everything else more interesting. Even when they tried to make it all ~dramatic~ with the big reveals at fancy parties and the aunt setting Bess up, I still found it boring.

While I like Bess the character, I find the annoying Marvin family the weakest part of the show. I just don't care about them, at all. I hope Bess can have storylines away from them, because she has a great presence on the show on her own.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 3
On 2/27/2021 at 9:33 AM, Delphi said:

Connor: I'm calling the police.
Nancy: To tell them what? That you left a proven burglar alone during her community service in the morgue against protocol, giving her clearly plenty of time to take a murder victim home?

This was excellent. She had solid points. The coroner really took everything in stride afterward. 

My favorite exchange:
Detective: That's not a real holiday
Nancy: That's not a real necktie.
Detective: Both of you get out of my office.